Font rendering

Why Windows font rendering is so shit by default?

I never noticed the problem until I used Linux/Mac where the fonts are nicely rendered without hurting your eyes.

MacType solves the problem for Windows, except for office 2016 and Chrome and other DirectWrite apps.

Because Windows is built on top of MSDOS and that's how fonts were supposed to look back then.

Well one issue is that Windows does font rendering in kernel space...

>Why Windows font rendering is so shit by default?
it just works. Why would you want something else? I can read both perfectly fine

It's mostly because of the garbage RGB antialiasing.

The only browser I know of to fix font-rendering on Windows is qutebrowser and Sleipnir.

Sleipnir just makes fonts super fat in my opinion. Not really readable.

I guess it's just a matter of opinion, I can't really stand the weird sort've colorized AA even if it makes it sharper.

Sleipnir is a pretty mediocre browser aside from that, though.

>I never noticed the problem until I used Linux/Mac where the fonts are nicely rendered without hurting your eyes.
lol you mean those rainbow blurs?
I can't ever see letters in this color shitfest.

No idea what you are talking about 2bh m8. My Windows fonts look great yet when I install Linux it looks like shit and selecting size 9,11,13,etc fonts makes all fonts spaced weird.

Ubuntu is the only distro with nice font rendering and 2bh I don't like the Ubuntu font itself and Linux is shit so no thanks.

futuresex coming through

Guess my operating system

Why did you make the Windows one look good and the Linux/Mac look mediocre?

Windows

Arch

A Rinuxu

I never really had a dog in this race. I use Windows and Linux but I am going to say windows. I just get a windows feel from it. Genuinely curious

mac

Ugly DirectWrite Windows fonts.

TempleOS

your rendering looks a bit off, like you have some jaggies or some other visual garbage that spoils it. i'd say it's mac because it has an inferior font rendering compared to linux

FagOS

It's linux with these settings
antialias true
embeddedbitmap false
hinting true
hintstyle hintslight
lcdfilter lcddefault
rgba rgb

>your rendering looks a bit off, like you have some jaggies or some other visual garbage that spoils it. i'd say it's mac because it has an inferior font rendering compared to linux
Checkmate fag, you can't spot the difference anyways. It's the same shit as your, I'm just using a different font but you (like pretty much everyone else) can't judge the font rendering quality. I can't do it either, I just wanted to prove that as long as it's not a total crap any difference is irrelevant and any change is placebo.

What font are you using?

I'm and I'm using Noto Serif 16

>It's mostly because of the garbage RGB antialiasing.

sub-pixel AA is awesome.

But it has to know what order subpixels your screen uses.
Anyone complaining just doesn't have the most common subpixel layout and needs to run the wizard - 5 minute fix but normies are too stupid to figure this out.

I always figured this

lol, i thought i must guess your system from your favorite eva girl, i didn't even look at the fonts.

>Windows is built on top of MSDOS
That hasn't been true since 1998, lmao

Could someone tell me what subpixel AA / other font rendering options a shadowmask CRT should use? two or three months ago, I updated (debian sid) and in the middle of updating, my fonts turned to shit. I figured that some default options were changed. I couldn't find much info through searching.

Nah, my favorite eva girl is Rei Ayanami but in that page you can see more fancy characters.
For example look at this screenshot and see how different are italic, japanese, and the pronunciation font. I'd say I have a better italic and japanese while he have a better pronunciation font.
Overall I like mine more because I dislike overlapping in letters (check the article title) and idk... maybe I'm just used to see at it and I'm biased.

Everyone here act like font rendering is a big thing, but most of them can hardly see any difference and when you notice it you can't say what's the better looking one.

Which Rei?

I knew you used some linux distro because "fi" isn't a glyph in your picture

those are nice looking fonts

This is correct. loonix fags are delusional as alawys.

Hey guys how's it hanging?
Delicious XP-tier

how do I get into font rendering
where do I start?

You take a screenshot and pretend it looks better than whoever else posted theirs. Go for it.

I considered getting MacType before but only Chinese and English are fully localised.
Still need to use Japanese moonrunes occasionally.

Which backdoor (of the twelve I have installed on your shitty outdated operating system) should I use to siphon your data?

>Eye cancer just works
>Why would you want something else
>I can read just fine with eye cancer because my eyes haven't fallen out yet

Post a screenshot of what a meme arrow looks like at 100% on windows.
That's the one thing I notice most of how bad the font rendering is.

Meant for

>MacType solves the problem for Windows, except for office 2016 and Chrome and other DirectWrite apps.

>Chrome
Good thing only retards use that
>Office
What is LaTeX?

grayscale

ye maybe in windown 98

literal placebo programs

dont bother default is fine

>retard thinks his modern OS is any more secure than a locked-down XP install
kek
I bet you've actually had a virus before.
How does it feel being a brainlet?

The only infections I will get are full-on intelligence-services attacks if I pissed them off for some reason.
The sort of attacks that affect EVERY major OS from Windows to Linux to Apples, some BSDs and server OSes.
The sort of shit that goes after hardware vulnerabilities.
Protip, there's more hardware attacks against modern hardware as well.

You're the weak link in the chain.

you don't need to try so hard

The fact you think I am trying shows how much of a brainlet you are.
I've been using computers from the 90s without a single infection.
Try being less of a dumbo.

None of those NSA-level tools affected any of my stuff, out of interest.
The OS just glanced at it and told it to fuck off, you know, like a properly setup machine would.
>he probably still has SMB enabled
>laughingPinguFromTheLinuxOS.xbm

i mean you don't need to try so hard as in you don't need to type out all that junk just 'cause some loser on the internet shat on the os you use, you can safely ignore him and nothing bad will happen.
i personally don't give a shit about xp or viruses or whatever

Nice trips.
And I know. I just woke up and felt like wrecking some probably-Win10 nerd.
Actually I forget, we're on Sup Forums, win7-nerd, the newer WinOS4lyfe

>Projecting this hard on the internet
hahahahaha

>Could someone tell me what subpixel AA / other font rendering options a shadowmask CRT should use?

You would probably turn sub-pixel AA off completely.
It only works well with LCD screens.

Anything else is just a trade-off between blur and jagged edges.
And what looks best depends on your particular screen and viewing distance.

you don't know what projecting means.

I love how easy it to chaange my font on fedora. I just select the one i like from a list of fonts and its applied to all fonts of that type.

yeah me too i always drive without a seatbelt and i haven't died yet so it's perfectly safe, only brainlets get in car crashes anyway

>macOS
>good font rendering

Yeah, nah. Try connecting it to your
typical 1080p monitor, it's fucking cancer.

I tried Windows 10 on several computers, and noticed on some applications the font was extremely blurred. Why would they do this?

Also, on Windows 7, the font rendering is alright, but not great like Linux / OS X.

What's wrong with the rendering in this default font? Using Arch.

What a retarded comparison.
It'd be more like taking a car without seatbelts and putting in a full-car foam-spraying tech like from [insert generic sci-fi]
Every Windows OS comes without the seat-belts enabled, no air-bags enabled, no crumple-zone enabled, etc.
I simply enabled them all by disabling 90% of Windows shitty services that make it unsecure.

>font looks like shit
>can't configure it
>say it's the same as windows
kys man

I am B U T T M A D so why not be a complete twat when commenting on taste.

8.1 here
I find that slightly increasing default size makes the font look better
also mac rendering for some reason only looks good on mac and linux has superior font rendering

I don't know if it's the font or the image quality but that looks like shit to me. Guess my OS.

[][][][][][]? Gentoo.

its somehow looks worse in the image on my screen too

pic related is android tablet, this is why dektop/laptop 4k panels should be default

The moon-rendering on this looks considerably better.

Damn, that android tablet looks nice as fuck.

I haven't installed any gook fonts, it's Arch.

Post a screenshot of the same page on your pc and let me know why your font rendering is superior.
>you can't

I disagree OP, I think mactype doesn't do a good job on 1080p or lower. The separation between characters isn't done correctly to the point that shit is a bit hard to read. Also, gdipp would fix that but has much worse compatibility being ancient software and all.

Linux is a mix where you have to do it yourself, but you can get exactly whatever you want. To be honest, I feel that things like infinality are not necessary. I found in some distros it's just a matter of changing basic font rendering settings to get it done.

On macOS reading is really easy, by default it's fairly good. There's 4 settings, most people know 2 (with or without smoothing) but on 1080p it's pretty decent I must say. Definitely making my job easy with PDFs.

I keep hearing this meme but ive not seen a single comparison.

Guess my OS and comment if this text looks okay, good or bad. Thank you.

mactype isn't meant to be an across the board improvement
it's specifically targeting nip fonts on windows which render entirely differently
if you use nip fonts, it's great
if not, it's utterly useless

Some of the Wapanese looks harder to read with some smaller strokes. (especially her surname)

Why does XP have the best fonts while being the shittiest OS?
How can I recreate it in Lunix?

The rest looks ok though yeah? I think it looks good enough. I am using W10 with MS Edge.

You can get that in Windows past XP, just untick "Smooth edges of screen fonts" in performance options.

Is using xp secure today?

windows

I think windows expect you to go to the cleartype configuration instead of giving a good guess (linux) or knowing exactly the best settings as it knows the screen (mac).

Fine if you enable PoS updates for it and disable every superfluous Microsoft service since nobody but business needs those shitheaps.
XP is still being actively patched every year.

XP Secure-It and XP Harden-it can help you in locking down Windows shit that seemingly has no interface to manage, as well as the usual registry changes to disable all the things.
One of the biggest reasons for XP being unsecure to use is local scripting in the OS through mshtml.
There's a regedit change you can do that enables a new Internet Zone that you can disable everything on and prevent basically most abuse that can happen to a Windows machine.
Yes, you need to do this even if you don't use IE, Internet Options aren't just for IE, it is for all mshtml users. (which most of the OS uses)
Shit like that is why Sup Forums.js was possible. If you are too newfag for that, tl;dr a malformed gif with executable code that created a huge Sup Forums spamming botnet that made most boards a rainbow of dying threads constantly.

They privilegie readibility over the form of the font

>suggesting latex to do office work

I think it's linux, it looks similar to the other guy who posted here.

Everything looks good with a big ass font. The problems comes when you have to deal with small fonts and changing a single pixel make a significative difference.

>[][][][][][]
>Guess my OS
I don't even need to look at the rendering. What OS doesn't works by default? Linux.

What do you guys use as your default font?
Liberation, DejaVu, Noto, Droid?

I'm with Noto, but I'm thinking to switch...

Laughing at all the Windows hate in here.

Gentoo

gdi still runs in kernel space in windows 10

>Noto vs Liberation

What do you guys think? pic related

Given the choice between those two, definitely Noto. Liberation Sans' only worthwile feature is being metrically compatible to Arial (hence it's second name of Arimo). Noto has way more glyphs and is based off of Open Sans – you can't go wrong with it.

How does this look? What OS do you guess?
Also, how do I improve the japanese characters?

>filename

They are quite similar. If someone want a comparison between two fonts let me know.
I'm trying a few.

>Comment appreciated.

I think I'm gonna try DejaVu for the next comparison.

I'd guess Windows?
If so, install MacType, select a profile (LCD?), also choose a different font for Japanese in your browser settings. One without bitmaps for small font sizes, cause that is what causes the pixels.
See results in

It's Gentoo :/

So that Japanese font is the GNU Unifont? Might be enough to install some better fonts for Japanese then.
Try Noto CJK, they're free and quite nice.

Even if it was true, MS-DOS programs can render True Type vectors and Windows can as well.

thanks, user.

What is objectively the best font? Something that most of Sup Forums can agree on.

Courier 10 pitch

>being ok with shitty looking, badly formatted documents

ComicSans MS

>Noto vs DejaVu

I think DejaVu has a better subpixel hinthing, but looks kinda big.
What else can I try?