Switching back over to Linux after I realize there are no games I can play on Windows that I can't play on Linux...

Switching back over to Linux after I realize there are no games I can play on Windows that I can't play on Linux, after about 2 months:

>hear good things about KDE Plasma
>looks attractive, clean
>install Kubuntu, update and install Nvidia drivers
>dpi=2, looks like shit
>error messages everywhere, everything keeps fucking breaking
>have to get up and power off the computer from the power switch because shutdown manager would NOT start

>install Lubuntu, do the same
>everything just werks

Is KDE just a big fucking joke or what?

Other urls found in this thread:

kde.org/info/security/advisory-20161114-1.txt
forum.voidlinux.eu/t/installation-of-kde-plasma-5/199/14
github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/pull/5316#issuecomment-323552973
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=745032
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>sort applications by name
>everything listed in "K"
pretty sure it's always been a joke

despite what everyone tells you, KDE is a piece of shit DE

>Kubuntu
There's your mistake. Either use Arch or KDE Neon

I like KDE, it's something I don't need to setup and fiddle around with too much.
I personally use Xfce on most machines though since KDE isn't all that lightweight/configurable.
Plasma 5.10 is comfy though, I set a global menu up top and a dock to the bottom of the screen for a mac-esque feel.

What builds of KDE are everyone using that gives them the bugs? I've had no issues and everything just werks when I use it. I'm planning on switching to it fulltime, so.

Pretty sure KDE is available on Mint. No interest in trying it, though, because my computer isn't THAT old.

OP

>Install KDE Neon
>Nothing breaks
>Not a mess of redundant applications like Kubuntu

*shrug*

>there are no games I can play on Windows that I can't play on Linux
there are actually quite a few games you can play on Windows that you can't play on Linux

Werks on my machinery

name one

None that I want to play, I meant. Also got excit

>Is KDE just a big fucking joke or what?
Pretty much. It's a literal clusterfuck both on the development end and the interface side of things. I mean, features are cool, and all that, but it's like they just threw a bunch of shit together and never worked out the bugs.

GTA 5

wow you got me, I just looked into it it turns out that Linux plays all the games, sorry for spreading FUD without researching myself

what games do you play OP?

This^
Just use Neon.

Mostly emulation, recently got back into Fallout New Vegas after 4 turned out to be as deep and sophisticated as piss on a carpet. Enjoying Super Monkey Ball and 0 AD right now. Roguelikes are also always a blast, and the new ARK looks outstanding.

Everything else is a waste of time.

>KDE
OP this DE is shit. I hate KDE so much. It is the DE that is known for being an broken unstable shitfest.

You know, when KDE 4 replaced KDE 3, it was the most broken unusable piece of shit imaginable. But finally over the years they FINALLY got KDE 4 in a working state where it felt solid and stable, and guess what happened? They IMMEDIATELY switched to KDE 5 / Plasma. A broken piece of shit. Why do the devs do this?

I think he meant out of the games that he plays. That's the case for me anyways

they still can't figure out how to get decent looking fonts out of the box on almost all distros, so it's no fucken surprise

what is a vm with hardware passthrougj

Noticable performance drop

I use it on arch and haven't run into any bugs - fits my usage case extremely well.

Thanks for asking! Yes. It's a glitchy, bloated piece of garbage.

lying is a sin

I don't believe in the concept of sinning.

I don't understand the neon recs, I would think it's LESS stable than plasma.

You don't believe in wrongness? it's mostly the same.

>everything I don't agree with is edgy

>Kubuntu
Found the problem.

>not using XFCE

>being this autistic

lmao I remember this

KDE and XFCE are fucking hideousity by default.

If Bungie can look as inoffensive as it does out of the box, no excuse for these other memes.

>error messages everywhere, everything keeps fucking breaking
It's because of this piece of shit right here. Don't bother with Konquer, Kmail, kontacts ktorrent, or akregator, they are shit and some of them are basically abandoned .

The real reason though is that they rely on Akonadi and it's a buggy shitty "integration subsystem" (aka botnet) that will make your expereince overly complicated and confusing. If you want to use KDE and ahave control over data at the same time, avoid that trash Akonadi.

Once XFCE finally gets developers and becomes up-to-date, I'll have no need for KDE Plasma any longer. Until then, I need it at least on my laptop since XFCE4's power manager rapes the battery by cycling it on and off when on AC.

There's no performance degradation.
8 runs terrible in a VM, 10 a little off, 7 is bare metal performance and has slightly better single threading and disk calls when virtualized especially on a kernel tuned for maximum juice like fedora.

Agree completely, but at least XFCE functions. And it can look fucking great with some ricing

>install Kubuntu
That's where you fucked up.

>mfw I really like KDE

An overly-complicated waste of time. Literally just have a separate PC you use solely for gaming if you play them so damn much. I have a separate fully offline Windows 7 machine just for games and I literally only turn it on once or twice a month yet it takes seconds to get up and running perfectly as opposed to hours dicking around with QEMU shit.

running Windows in a VM with gpu passthrough is a completely different game. That's you having fun hacking around, but a pretty weird way of getting something simple done. It's substantially easier to set up a dual boot than a gpu passthrough, it's very easy for most computer enthusiasts to scrape together 500 dollars to buy a windows only computer if you don't want to taint your linux machine, and lastly it's just using the wrong tool for the job. It's like you need to dig a hole, you use a shovel... but you don't like shovels (?) so you take two of those toy robot hands to hold the shovel and then pretend that you're not actually using a shovel

>don't have to be a cuck
>Steam botnet basically required to play most modern games
Yes goyim, Steam is your friend!

>>dpi=2
lolwat?

For some reason I sometimes get this issue where DPI defaults to retarded values on new Linux installs with Nvidia. You can write an nvidia xorg config file that includes a dpi value and that will fix it.

KDE is not a DE. Not anymore, at least. KDE is now the name of the project, Plasma is the DE (kind of like the relationship between Microsoft and Windows).

This has gotten better now that they've made their code more modular. At least now you can install individual KDE apps without having to install the entire KDE ecosystem.

Just for the record, I use xfce on my system.

That's because Kubuntu is a fucking mess, it also made me hate KDE
Using KDE Neon right now, works great

>Arch
Use void

Nah i've found gaming in VM to be a surprisingly subpar experience.

That's because you're either retarded or something of the sort

How about FUCK KDE Neon, so dumb they cannot lock down their server so anyone can upload to it..

kde.org/info/security/advisory-20161114-1.txt

holy shit!

>bsd meme license
lmao, enjoy your 0 users

I used to love KDE and used it to the point where I could not use any other distro. However once I was forced to use gnome and it just blew me, how easier and more simple things are over there.

Never had a problem with KDE on Arch. Pick a better distro.

Last time I checked, void only had kde 4 in repos

Yes, its bloated piece of shit and no one should use it.

Not a void user but that made me lol so I looked around their site.

>Aside of that I think most Void users are leaning towards tiling window managers in general, hence little to no interest for packaging it.
forum.voidlinux.eu/t/installation-of-kde-plasma-5/199/14
github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/pull/5316#issuecomment-323552973

tl;dr: Void users only like autistic WMs and there's no official support for Plasma 5. However you can install it from source if you want to.

The best KDE experience is on openSuse.
When I tried KDE on Arch it was really slow. On OpenSuse everything was working out of the box and the lag was gone.
Arch > OpenSuse, though

>no official support for Plasma 5
I'm not a Void user either, but the source based installation of packages in addition to the binary packages is a key point of Void.
So it is officially supported,but not available as a binary package.

Works on my Arch™ Linux® machine.

KDE is okay, but it sucks ass on nvidia because the developers are literally linus cock sucking faggots who say fuck nvidia

Plasma without PIM/Akonadi is kind of OK. I don't know if binary distros allow you to not install them but it's easy on Gentoo at least. It does feel less polished than Gnome though. eg. if I rotate my display the Plasma panel's position gets fucked up until I quit and restart plasmashell. Haven't had such problems on other DEs/WMs. That's especially true for Gnome which is really quite polished, although it too has its problems, eg. bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=745032 (lmao)

Nvidia is the only vendor with special snowflake apis in their official drivers, the rest uses mesa

KDE is sluggish bug riggen bloatware.

>Any other Distro
:/

KDE is very understaffed I believe, so no wonder bugs are getting through.

ubuntu is special because it often gets broken packages in the freeze but never ever fucking fixes them
use opensuse/fedora/neon

KDE Neon is the most unstable KDE distro. And KDE devs didn't implement a proper crash reporter so good luck having your crashes fixed anytime soon.

KDE has some very good features but the design is very poor. It looks tacky and there's no consistency or design basis.

Just look at that OP screenshot - everything has this 'copy/paste in to the GUI' thing going about it. It's like they forgot to design the thing and it's an afterthought.

As an owner of a QEMU Passthrough machine, these anons are correct

Fuck it

I meant to quote

Tell me about it. I've been raging at Mint KDE for days, there is unrelenting screen tearing and performance issues (especially scrolling in Firefox and lag in all videos including VLC and youtube). Honestly I've given up. Windows may be spying me but at least it werks, besides, on Windows I'd be able to tell if somehow I got a malware, on Linux since I'm a complete lazy faggot I wouldn't even notice, most likely (also on Linux I can't seem to find a reliable way to encrypt my drive, so much for security, if niggers break into my house and steal my PC I could buy a new PC but I couldn't buy back my stolen data).

1. You can encrypt your disk
2. You should enable the compositor, or change compositor settings. This will remove screen tearing.

>1. You can encrypt your disk
How? I was only offered the option to encrypt my home folder, too bad doing that broke the ability for the system to resume from hibernation permanently.
>2. You should enable the compositor, or change compositor settings. This will remove screen tearing.
You missed the part where I said I tried for days. I copypasted all sort of shit off Google but nothing worked. And this is on a desktop GTX1060, not some nigger tier hybrid laptop GPU.

Yes. It's basically Windows 10 re-imagined as a Desktop Environment, fucking eats memory and cpu and also crash-prone.

The Gnome guys can fuck their userbase over with every release and never have to worry about losing users to KDE, that's how bad it is.

So you only play minecraft?
Because so far pretty much every other game either doesn't work with wine or runs at 1% performance

about:support is compositing enabled for Firefox? It isn't by default for Linux although some distros enable it
layers.acceleration.force-enabled;true

>Implying that vidia games are not waste of time in general.
>Implying that you are not cuck for installing Steam on a last ethical OS out there.

This. I think Gnome is >>>> KDE, but if you're going to use KDE do it on a real distro, not memebuntu.

Nigger what are you talking about? KDE is a heavy environment.

>still no properly packaged DE with tiling window manager

guarantee the first person to make this properly will be successful

Everything is a waste of time considering that you only live once and everything you have ever done will not be remembered

I run league of legends under wine at higher performance than I do on windows. Between 180-90 FPS on windows, stable 250+-300 on wine.

Tell that to Alexander the great.

KDE is pretty good. Stop using Kubuntu.

Don't fall for the Gnome meme. It's literally just a basic wm that eats a gig of memory for no reason.

Let's see how great he is once the universe has run its cycle and is extinguished

>league of legends
Wow, it's fucking nothing, try running a game that actually uses any resources

I play Warcraft 3 and WoW. They work perfectly under wine.
>1% performance
The performance loss is around 0-20% for dx9 and older games.
DOOM actually performs better in WINE than natively on windows.

Yes, I tried that too, same with hw acceleration, and adding all kinds of additional lines off Google to the nvidia configuration file. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I think I'm going to reinstall or move to Cinnamon, or Ubuntu.

>try playing unoptimized garbage games
Not an argument.

>I can play games from 1995 with good performance, linux is good I swear!

>my computer is shit, therefore the game is unoptimized
Nice try, lincuck, but you can't steer from the fact that your operating system is trash

>DOOM
>1995
It was literally released last year, idiot.

>wc
>wow
>1995
Your underage is showing.

I don't understand your argument, of course a game is going to run worse if you have to emulate an entire OS to run it, that's not the fault of the operating system (which in case of nearly every native port runs BETTER than windows native) it's the fault of developers. Jesus man, are you okay? I gave league as an example because it's the only game I play that doesn't have a native linux port.

finally a thread on leenux and not one thread about gaymmur intel vs amd vs nvidia shillfest

>wut is a hyperbol ? ? ?
Brainlet detected, please uninstall your life from this universe

Except for the fact that games that have a linux port still run worse than they do on windows
Until you get actual professionals working on Linux instead of some retards that just cobble together random lines of code, it will never be good enough
I mean fuck, you can't even install 90% of programs on Linux without going through a metric fuckton of shit and piss

Don't use VLC, it's shit now, MPV on the other hand, is far better, I have no screen tearing or any other bullshit with MPV, the Sup Forumsreatest video player.

ignore the winfags, the day of the gnulag awaits them, tell them GNO and move on.

i had same problems with ubuntu
if you want distro with KDE and apt use KDE Neon

or try arch with KDE (just dont say its buggy because i use it for like a year now 0 problems)
or go with antergos KDE and debloat him to be near pure arch

Which games run worse? The native ports I have (CSGO and Dota 2) both run far better under the opensource AMDGPU drivers on Arch.