>go to nanite
>download .Net installer and run it
>".Net 4.7 Ok(up to date)
>just as I thought.
>no need to install .Net Framework
>relaunch canon software installation
>"The software you have selected requires the installation of .Net Framework"
>mfw

Why does Canon need to install .Net Framework on a computer that already has the frame work on it and that framework is up to date?

Is Canon trying to trick me into installing it's own malware?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fmle8852VZ0
youtube.com/watch?v=GzBPgqRg65s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Maybe it needs a different version

Why would it need a different version?

Because printers are shit.

Because it doesn't work without it? Ask canon. Installing multiple versions of .net and cpp shit is pretty much standard these days

Because some methods are removed from the new ones

because they removed that one function that canon used that probably doesn't do anything except make a beep noise if something goes wrong and the coder who put it in the driver left canon six years ago and nobody there has the brains to compile a new one.

jesus, just buy some other brand! it's not that hard.

Because it is a bit like Windows 10 not able to run some old shit. Figuratively.

Printers are generally years behind in software, that's why the majority of devices that still require SMB1 are printers with scan to network features.

.NET comes in 4 main flavours that don't contain the features before it
>1.0 (old as fuck, legacy business software)
>1.1 (likewise with 1.0)
>3.5 (contains 2.0 and 3.0 lumped together)
>4.7 (contains all 4.x versions lumped together)

screenshot shows where to enable 3.5 in Windows 10

The only reason to install that software is to give Canon the ability to detect if you're using 3rd party ink.

If you're planning on using 3rd party ink, don't install it. If you install it, it's really fucking difficult to get it off your computer because they want to monitor whether or not you're using their ink.

So it is malware.

botnet malware. Ink business is retarded. Shouldn't you be able to use ink of your choice?

Pretty sure Windows 10 will tell them even if you don't install their software. You gave them permission when you agreed to the EULA.

Call it whatever you like. We don't care if you want to use your printer or not.

No. Fuck No.
We practically give away our printers. Sometimes we even sell them at a significant loss. Ink is how we make our money and if you don't use our ink, we will have to start charging $800 - $1,000 for a fucking inkjet.

The reason our ink is so expensive is because only half of you are buying ink from us.
>a gallon if ink costs ~$60,000
>85% of that goes to employee salaries.

good thing I don't care

YOU WOULDN'T PIRATE INK

YOU WOULDNT DOWNLOAD AN INK

I would download a program that resets software ink levels, though. Oh wait, that's what I was doing for the past 3 years

What exactly is that going to achieve? Print invisible letters?

Use third party ink without having to enter ink bottle serial number?

>2017
>printers
Why?

because fuck you but next canon printer

Because I communicate with my wife's son's principle with written letters

Is that more secure?

yes, no password to forget

>mfw discovering generic ink for my epson printer on amazon that costs a fourth of the price for three times the amount with no difference in quality

Yeah the program bitches at you for not using "safe official ink" but it can't do shit.

You squid jews and your precious ink can get fucked.

Are there any open source printers yet?

>NSA/Windows 10

shieeet, my brother lazer printer works just fine with my GNU/Linux Thinkpad

>printer software claims cartridge is empty
>remove cartridge, short out chip with paper clip, resetting it
>put same cartridge back into printer, suddenly it has 50% ink level.

.net is a meme

youtube.com/watch?v=Fmle8852VZ0

youtube.com/watch?v=GzBPgqRg65s

We have concluded that printers will always be proprietary, just like the firmware installed on the chips in your cellphones.

>for your security.

You need to be 18+ to use this site.

Here's (You)r reply, lonely guy

Enjoy your weak and inconsistent printouts.
Enjoy your clogged printheads because the third party ink has a different formula.

>buy Ricoh color laser
>brand new, $70, 51 pounds, free shipping
>refills are about $44 for the four toner cartridges ($400 for official Ricoh cartridges)

I predict a gunked up fuser and some dissolving drums.

Nah, the Ricoh toner has been cloned perfectly.

Third party toner for Canon printers on the other hand, you don't want to touch that shit with a ten foot pole.

It's proprietary, so of course it's malware.

> we will have to start charging $800 - $1,000 for a fucking inkjet
Lel, make them cheaper then. This is what buys a whole computer including display and all, a printer isn't that complex in comparison.

Also really, you're trying to charge more than that with the shitty price of ink and tiny ink tanks.

> a gallon if ink costs ~$60
Probably. Fuck Canon and their DRM ink shit. 3rd party ink was always the way to go.

>Third party toner for Canon printers on the other hand, you don't want to touch that shit with a ten foot pole.
Don't touch Canons with a ten foot pole if they introduce DRM shit where you can't even use third party ink / toner.

The Ricoh printers have chips on their toner carts, but the third parties have cloned them perfectly. The toner bottles (per color) are $10 and the chips for each toner refill are $1 each. Still worth it.

I hate Canon printers. I'd go with HP on an inkjet and HP/Brother/Ricoh on a laser printer first.

>The Ricoh printers have chips on their toner carts, but the third parties have cloned them perfectly.
This used to be the case for most Canon and so on tanks too.

Just that on the last Maxify, I realized Canon has upped the DRM and now disables the printer if it detects 3rd party cartridges (ones that worked on the immediate predecessor model and should be still the same type). You can't just take out the cartridge and continue either, gotta send the printer in for service. Fuck Canon.

> I'd go with HP on an inkjet
You mean the other shameless fucks that are strongly also responsible for chipped DRM ink tanks and tactics such as making ink tanks tiny and then selling *3.5ml* of color ink as an "XL" tank for $30?

Eh, you know, I have my reservations with those fuckers, too.

> after an hour of bullshit
If it takes you a whole hour to unbox, plug in and set SSID, I think the printer is the least of your concerns user..

>You mean the other shameless fucks that are strongly also responsible for chipped DRM ink tanks and tactics such as making ink tanks tiny and then selling *3.5ml* of color ink as an "XL" tank for $30?
I've had so much shit with Epson and Canon printers between network reliability and print issues that I only go with HP for inkjets. I don't love all their ink practices but the worst of them (hardcoded expiration) are gone.

If you want cheaper regular printing my opinion is go with a home laser, or occasionally go to a Fedex Office or whatever when you need color.

And that's why I pay a bit more to get a toner printer. I've had my printer for 4 years and STILL haven't run out of toner. Had I purchased an inkjet, I would have had to replace it half a dozen times by now.

Haven't really had any issues with older Canon Pixma printers, neither did family who also use(d) them as network printers. Every few months the nozzles needed cleaning, nothing serious.

I guess an Epson had a less reliable paper feed, though, but it figures something like an EcoTank will probably be my next printer.

> I don't love all their ink practices but the worst of them (hardcoded expiration) are gone.
3.5ml tanks for $30 aren't a bad practice to you?

> or occasionally go to a Fedex Office or whatever when you need color
That's maybe an option for you, but apart from there not being any Fedex offices here (it's Europe) it also takes too long to run to a shop every time you want a sample photo printed between touchups and the final print.

And the printer jews know it, but I'm still very sour how the DRM ink tank situation got worse as compared to 5-10 years ago.

HP laser + chink shit cloned toner master race

Just get an ecotank printer and be done with it

Eh, I use laser printers, so ink practices don't really bother me.

If someone changes ink more than once a year I generally tell them to get a black and white laser, the brother or Samsung laser models with wifi and duplexing generally go on sale for less than $100 (for black and white printers) and have reasonably priced toner.

This.

My mother has a canon printer. I gave up on using all the bullshit software and just ended up doing everything from my phone as the app works just fine. Granted i only print stuff a few times a year and not always from that particular printer.

Great if you only print a bunch of B&W documents.

The flaw here is that this just does black&white and I mostly need color photo & diagram prints.

> and have reasonably priced toner
I'll imagine it's nowhere near the $10-20 per kg market rate for even smaller retail quantities of toner, right?