GNOME DEVS REMOVE STATUS ICONS COMPLETELY

HAHAHAHAAH

Other urls found in this thread:

igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nice, They are going to get the icon tray on top bar where it belongs

Are you retarded?

all that wasted space on the top bar and they choose to remove everything instead
just why

this
gnome is the best bestdesudo

progress faggots, you shits are what's holding systemd back

Didn't Windows get rid of the system icons API on Windows 10?

systemd/Linux is doing really well I see

yup

I don't know how GNOMEfags can live with this awful DE.

do they not proofread their articles?

>Users who still want them (or use one of the odd cases where an app really depends on the icon) can install one of various extensions that are available, either based on the XEmbed support that is still kept around or implementing the DBus-based StatusNotifier spec.”
>implementing the DBus-based StatusNotifier spec.
doesn't seem so bad desu

They want everything to use notifications which I hate. I'm not using a phone with "apps"

GNOME apologists are so fucking pathetic

Yeah, it doesn't seem so bad that the crappy workaround is based on using non-official extensions for the DE that has the biggest history of fucking people who have build around their technology.

Man GNOME extensions sure are known for their reliability, they are never broken every fucking update, oh boy, I love getting my ass ravaged by a DE made primarily for big enterprise desktop needs, where regular user needs are always neglected.

Go suck Red Hat dick some more, shill.

System icon tray is actually deprecated, isn't it? OSX, Windows and GNOME all seem to have deprecated the tray API

>want to like gnome since almost every distro uses it by default
>they just keep removing features for no reason and want people to make ""gnome apps""
I guess I'm staying on KDE and Xfce.

>xfce
Light as fuck. Does nothing out of the box
>KDE
So bloated you may as well format your harddrive if you want to remove it.

Have you thought about i3?

You want status icons? I guess you have to decide if you are a GNOME app, and Ubuntu app, or an XFCE app unfortunately. I'm sorry that this is the case but it wasn't GNOME's fault that Ubuntu has started this fork. And I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry.

It is my hope that you are a GNOME app...

I tried i3 a while ago. It wasn't really my thing.

Xfce does everything you need and there is no reason to remove KDE since most KDE software is gr8 :3

Plasma isn't actually that bloated. It's way better than Gnome, for example.

>tfw Unity was the best all along

Hehehehe fucking shit

> not reading the post you're replying to

"can they system icons in this tray"
ah, internet journalism.

This is good news, status icons are shit
I like gnome even more now for being this brave, to throw away old and shitty solutions in favor of progress

Plasma 5 can be slimmed down, and most of its apps can choose to be installed with a seperate meta package. Plasma 4 was ass.

The ones in the lower left corner or the ones next to the clock?

They abandoned it ages ago. Beside few legacy crap, nothing was using it. It was buggy and annoying. Getting rig of it is a good and long-planned step.
Anything the tray was doing could be moved to notifications, I wonder if they try it.

This is why nobody will ever take Linux seriously.

how can gnome users ever recover from this

Good. That useless little tray has been nothing but an eyesore for years.

Install budgie

How is it on Gentoo?

Never used Gentoo. But Im thinking on moving to budgie.

I used to think the gnome-hating was a little excessive, not anymore.

>hates gnome
>still uses it

What a retard you are.

>all my knowledge stems from g memes
Abort yourself you fucking retarded idiot and stop posting your imbecile, parrotted opinions. This is a technology forum. Stop posting until you are knowledgeable about the basics of technology topics you're discussing.
Fucking retard.

It's the same software on any distribution you fucking retard. The same version of Budgie will be the same across any distribution.
Fucking idiot, stop posting.

Canonical added a new API, but didn't remove or planned to remove status icons altogether (because there's something called "backwards compatibility.")
It is GNOME, once again, that creates yet another new shit (even if there's other options. They could've used Canonical's API, for instance) and expects every other developer to bend over backwards for their shitty DE.
Unity (and now KDE) did a marvelous job with the Global Menu: it hid the menu bar inside the title bar and then the title bar was also hidden when the program was full screen. All this without the developer's intervention. GNOME's solution? Use their shitty "Human" design language and their shitty API to hide the menu inside the top bar. Oh, and the API got broken every update.
Not surprisingly, GNOME and GTK devs are Red Hat employees. They also have a nasty habit of rejecting bug reports/patches that come from non-Red Hat developers.

Shut the fuck up, retard. If there's no up-to-date ebuilds that just werk I'm not going to package a fucking DE and keep it updated by myself. Besides, all distros don't even have the same version of software so you're a retard. You fell for the "all distros all the same" meme, stupid fuck

I've always hated that status tray and how they chose to put it in the worst possible place. I knew I wasn't alone on this one.

this is what bravery looks like.

I'll just leave this here. igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/

All software can run on all distributions and have the same configuration.
Enjoy your g memes.

Perhaps you should consider reading it as well. Also perhaps consider informing yourself about the topic instead of just adopting an opinion from an edgy sounding articles you didn't bother reading or understanding and analyzing.

Yeah, keyword 'can'. You can also port all software to use musl libc or port all ARM stuff to arm64

A world divided.
If only debian/ubuntu and derivitives would more decisively split from rhel/fedora, giving us two clear options:
adhering to the unix philosophy versus progress at any cost

This is the little worthless thing that pops its head out on the bottom left of the screen right?

>can they system tray icons in this tray to relay

Also GNOME a shit.

Probably because they are written by pajeets :^)

Written by an AI, spellchecked by pajeets, fact checked by Pozilla :^)

If they completely remove tray it's fucking horrible.
You'll never know if application is closed or running in background.
FFS, is GNOME for phones and tablets now? They're pushing this shit too far.

All they do is remove.

Try reading it yourself retard.

Are mozilla and gnome devs like, having sex often?

They seem almost equally incompetent.

>using the smiley with a carat nose

Tell me Mister GNOME, if you can

You have removed so much. But what is it that you have exactly written?
Can you submit even one patch?!
.....I thought not.

what are you using?

kek

>t. pajeet

You must be a retard to equate optional compile time options with rewriting software. But we already know that.

I N N O V A T I O N

You're fooling no one, gnome-loving js pajeet

noone is stopping people from doing a proper "suckless" distro, its just that people who bitch about it usually never get anything done.

>gnome keeps removing features
lmao, how can you faggots defend this?

I can tell that you've never packaged software / ported software to other distros. Just stop

I don't use gnome, somebody please post a picture of what they're talking about.

>he's running GNOME

HaHaHaHaHa

You can't even see the legacy tray by default (so it's not like it's getting in the way) yet they remove it anyway.

I don't know why people even need a desktop environment, what's wrong with a simple lightweight window manager?

It's crazy.

>It is my hope that you are a GNOME app...
The day when GNOME went more EEE than Microsoft ever.