/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-471-affordable-sealed-over-ear-headphones
youtube.com/watch?v=pEd7ru24Vx0
youtube.com/watch?v=7TqyyBDNnEg
youtube.com/watch?v=gQA6T5ijuX0
youtube.com/watch?v=9-eT6v2OBno
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

SHP9500 or Shb9850nc/27?

>wired open versus wireless closed active noise canceling
Do you even know what you want out of headphones? What a strange request. That being said, SHP9500 are much better sounding for home use.

I second this statement

Idol pizza here.
What's your setup like, user?

What is your opinion on Beyerdynamic dtx 710 guys? Are they any good or should I upgrade to something better?

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

post you are headspeakers(ears)

Pic + timestamp

Alright, here's the deal: it's almost the end of 2017 and I've been using strictly only wireless Bluetooth headphones for the couple last years, simply out of principle and to gather all the needed first-hand experience on this entire "wired VS wireless" debacle. So, after using strictly only wireless headphones on a daily basis for almost two-and-a-half years, I can definitely without any doubt openly state that the "always pro-wired only" and "only highly expensive portable players, no pleb-tier smartphones" pseudo-audiophilic FAGGOTS are completely and absolutely FULL OF SHIT. I won't argue with anyone here that wireless headphones in general and wireless sound technologies in overall were utter garbage just 5-or-so years ago, but nowadays it's NOWHERE even remotely close to being as bad as it was in 2012 and further down the line. Everything (literally EVERY THING) the so-called self-proclaimed pseudo-audiophilic kiddie shithead trolls are openly and absolutely brainlessly proclaiming loudly everywhere about MODERN wireless sound technologies being "bad" or "not on par with wired" is COMPLETE, 100% BULLSHIT. Abso-effing-lute LIE. These retarded deaf kiddies clearly never used any modern wireless headphone piece that cost more than 50$ (and actually good/worthwhile wireless headphones start from the 140$ mark AT THE VERY LEAST) and/or they never tried Apt-X LL or ESPECIALLY the GODLIKE LDAC. The fags basically don't know jack about any of this, but they act like they're the hottest and most knowledgeable shits around the block while in reality they not hot shits, but just shit. Modern wireless sound IS actually very good and does NOT lose to wired at all by the sheer quality of sound and latency (if it's apt-X LL or LDAC), WHILE being WAAAY more convenient and comfortable to use due to headphones being completely (WELL, DUH!) wireless. Fuck all those pseudo-audiophilic pseudo-elitistic sudo-entitled "pro-wired" shitheads, I say. They know fucking NOTHING.

Possibly SHP9500S for $50 on Newegg

>What ~50$ range wireless headphones would Sup Forums recommend?
Unfortunately, there are almost no actually decent/good models in that price range. The closest one you can get to be of a "decent sound quality" is Rombica's "MySound BH-10 2C", but they have extremely crappy Bluetooth range and they usually tend to bug out and turn off even if slightest electromagnetic interference is nearby (like, for example, when you're in a convenience store and standing near a commercial fridge). Also note that the are literally "Chinshit Wireless" headphones. If you never ever had a pair of wireless Bluetooth headphones before and you wish to get ACTUALLY worthwhile device from the first attempt - you'd have to spend AT LEAST 120$ and these will be MEEElectronics' "Air-Fi Matrix 3" model. This is the EXACT very point where actual wireless QUALITY starts.

>Have they also opened it up for non-Sony headphones or do I need a Sony wireless?
That we don't know yet, as there are simply no massive amount of Android 8-based smartphones on the market so far, but I personally highly doubt that this will be Sony-only when it becomes mainstream, simply due to default LDAC implementation in all Android 8 devices making no logical sense in the case if Sony decides to not license this to other wireless headphone manufacturers. They've already licensed this to Android 8, so why the hell will they restrict it only to their wireless headphones now? That will be an asshole move and will undoubtedly garner a lot of critique on Sony's ass. I don't think that Sony's THAT stupid as to not provide other wireless headphone manufacturers with a LDAC license. And even if (and that's a very big IF) they actually in all seriousness restrict LDAC usage only to their wireless devices, this still at least leaves us an option to not use a Sony smartphone for it if we wouldn't want to, so there's at least that.

So you're deaf. Got it

>I am totally not a Sony shill guise

Jaybirds Bluebuds x3 vs Advanced Sound Model 3

>Budget
Less than $120
>Location
USA
>Type of headphone
Bluetooth headphones for gym/commuting. I already have a pair of ATH-M30 I plan on using until they die on me.

From what I can gather the Adv. Sound M3 sound better(?). But the Jaybird app lets you tweak the sound profile (but not sure how much this actually changes), and has +3 hours battery life.
The ADV. sound lets you change from wireless mode to wired, but the MMCX connectors seem fragile.

>Name one worthwhile wireless headphone that isn't shit-tier or overpriced for what it sounds
Plantronics BackBeat Pro 2 SE (monitor, closed, neutral, medium price)
MEElectronics AirFi Matrix 3 (monitor, half-open, bright, very start of the actual quality in wireless headphones so this is as low as you should go if you're planning on using LDAC or at the very least Apt-X LL)
Marshall Monitor Bluetooth (monitor, closed, V-shape, medium price segment)
Master & Dynamic MW60 (monitor, closed, V-shape, high price segment yet not ineptly overpriced)
Bang & Olufsen H9 (monitor, closed, neutral, mid)
Sony MDR-1000X (monitor, closed, warm-to-neutral, mid-to-high price)
Onkyo W800BT (IEM, closed, neutral, medium price)
JVC HA-S90BN (monitor, closed, V-shape, mid-to-high price segment)

All of these currently available headphones are absolutely worthwhile wireless solutions. The most expensive one in that list is Master & Dynamic MW60 and even it is not really overpriced (usually sells for 600$, but can be found for a cheap as ~420$ at some places during sale-off days).

P.S.
Answering the question that was made in the previous thread: "open" structure is not actually common in the wireless segment, at least when it comes down to monitor headphones, but if anything - you could always try MEElectronics' AirFi Matrix 3, they're partially open. Also please don't ever lump "closed" design and "bad" together all the time, because this is simply not true. All of the closed monitor headphones mentioned above are absolutely top-notch pieces of hardware and sound very good for their respective pricing segments (Master & Dynamic MW60 having the best materials and sounding phenomenally even in artificially created bad conditions, but it's sound curve, which is very clearly V-shaped, is definitely not necessarily for everyone. I personally prefer absolutely neutral sound, so my personal wireless headphones of choice for everyday usage are Plantronics BackBeat PRO 2 SE and Onkyo W800BT).

Friendly reminder that people are actually spending $600 on the DT1990.
You could buy a magni, he400i, and hd600 for that.

You are definitely an uneducated and inexperienced retard, though.

Pull out that phat braided silver wire out of your cuckold sucky boy faggot ass first, and only then dare to talk.

>Plantronics
Stopped reading there.

Keep on sucking dirty limp dicks then, wirecuck.

I've seen worse mass market wireless fashion headphones.

>measurement looks melanin-enriched even using a melanin-enriched target curve
I'm sure they're good if your name is Veshone.

what's the vintagest headphone you got and how do you drive them? mine is a 2k ohm hd414x and an old shitty kenwood amp, but sometimes a laptop with an "okay" dac or monitor with audio out surprises me

isn't that mostly sub bass? not that i've heard them or would ever buy them

2000 ohm?????????????????????????????????????????????????
//

??

>rtings
>ever

If you're Veshone, you'd be using ricer kiddie trash that is JBL or Skullcandy. Modern Plantronics are very good.

Are you baiting?

welcome to the 60s motherfucker when senny was pushing sound outta microphone elements like a cave man using a bullfrog as a fleshlight

>pushing sound
>microphone
>bullfrog fleshlights
i must own a pair

As uneducated audiophiles use the term: completely unimportant. Consider it as a black box, and only consider performance of each device case by case.

I could tell what the real differences were, but you don't need it.

No, I just want to buy a new dac.

Well it is a meme so don't bother.

That chart is absolute BS. I've seen other BackBeat Pro 2 SE reviews and tests, and even though hi-bass hangs over low mids just slightly, these headphone's bass is NOWHERE even remotely near to be as highly emphasized as that bullshit graph makes you think. In reality bass on these is almost as flat as the mid range (low and mid bass being somewhere in the 91~94 territory and hi-bass in the 92~93, NOTHING like what that graph shows).

After much deliberation between used LCD-2's and Aeon's, I decided to order the Aeons. They are supposed to come in a week. Did I make the right choice?

>Budget
125 USD hard limit, preferably cheaper
>Location
USA
>Source
PC (Z270 mobo), rarely iPhone SE
>Type of headphone
Full size over ear
>Open or closed
prefer closed, but doesn't matter as long as audio bleed isn't obnoxious, and has decent isolation
>Comfort level
mid-high/high
>Sound signature
v shaped, but nothing too extreme (I listen to italo disco, hi-nrg, synthwave, eurobeat, some vaporwave)
>Past headphones
hand me down Razer Adaro DJs that just died
super comfy, with very good isolation, pretty good sound quality a bit bass heavy (take this with a grain of salt, I don't have anything to compare it to). I don't know how good the sound quality is compared to what is posted here, but it's miles above the apple earbuds I've used before
I'd buy another set of these but I would like to get something higher quality.

Prefer wired, no noise cancellation. I don't have a dac or amp.

Have fun, user

ath M40x is probably your best bet

Tile liked them a lot and now you have a closed headphone.

thanks. I just got Vanatoo T0 as well for my dorm room, so I'm feeling pretty good

Is MULTIBIT™ a meme?

Your question is ill posed and impossible for us to answer for you.
Why did you consider the LCD2 and Aeon, and how do you expect to use the headphone?

I don't regret the modi multibit, I think it gives cymbals a more realistic sound

>budget
Somewhere around £100, is flexible though
>location
UK
>source
Behringer UM-2 willing to get an amp if needed.
>type of headphone
Full sized over ear
>open or closed
closed with good isolation
>comfort level
as comfy as possibly, i wear glasses
>Sound signature
Mid centric but this isnt important
>past headphones
Logitech G930 (wireless). I liked the virtual surround, but the wireless is not as important.

HDH50's on the

I wanted a planar magnetic full sized, and wanted something that was generally well received. Both have very different sound signatures, and I wasn't sure which I'd prefer. I decided on the aeons because I didnt want to have to worry about qc with used cans, and I've heard Mr. Speakers is super good with customer service.

hd650s

what genre do you listen to?

HD569, HD380 Pro, CB-1

innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-471-affordable-sealed-over-ear-headphones

(Creative Aurvana Live! 2)
They're neither in the infographic or the wiki list, but I saw them in the Head-fi entry-level buying guide. So I saw some good reviews, they seem better than random gaymer shit. And I thought the M40x or Sony 7506s would sound too flat for me? Since my past ear/headphones were all (cheap) V sounds.

Most stuff. Lots of rock, rap, some electronic and jazz. Recently I've been listening to a lot of King Gizzard, MF Doom, and Thad Jones.

There's a sale where i can get the HD599 for 140€. Is it good, or is there better for the same price?

The using them part I mean. Worst case scenario you can EQ, and they differ most strongly in the bass and top treble. Midrange and most of the treble are more similar.
LCD2 is fairly heavy, the Aeon much less so.
LCD2 has some backwave issue if you put something too close to the rear grill. Closed headphones like the Aeon can be sweaty over long periods of time.

Things like that.

ah ok. Yea I learned that the lcd-2's were heavy, and I preferred a lighter headphone. As for bass vs treble, I honestly prefer a slightly warmer sound, but I read that the bass pads for the aeons significantly helped with the sound signature

What headphones hide the sound of feminine boys getting fucked best?

Absolute pleb question: what are the best headphones for youtube music listening? No idea about bitrates at all, but I guess high-end headphones are wasted here. Not necessarily looking for a specific pair, more like a price range.

Another option is that he can also always buy an HD650 for like $200 and get close enough results to the LCD-2 but get higher levels of distortion obviously
lcd-2 and aeon were both good choices to choose between for your genres, user

are beyerdynamic 770s a meme
looking at getting the 80ohm or 250ohm

If you are looking for a headphone with a v-shaped sound signature, they're a nice option at that price point. Go for 80ohm unless if you know you can run them well

I'm here to spot you bro. Best closed back headphones for cheap are the ath-m40x or status audio cb-1

An,extra HD600

Thanks anons

The idea is that you have to underatand what you want, and how this new product is supposed to address what you want.
If you just say something like "sounds better", that gives us nothing to go on.

Same as usual. Lossy compression does not change what headphone to get.

I don't think the LCD2 is that similar. I put at least one more degree of separation between them, with either Aeon or Oppo PM2 in the middle.
Value is for user to decide.

Yeah I just got mine last week. They're pretty good. They're pretty forgiving and make bad recordings sound good also.
I up the treble for lower level listening and use the desktop setting to control the bass. They're the first ones I've tried that match/surpass the sound stage of my cheap $20 ones I used for 7+ years. To me what's the point of speakers besides comfort if they can't do sound stage and imaging. Tell me what you think of them once you get the chance.

m40x is what I would get. Buy it from Amazon if you don't like it you can return it.

Nvm. Just went with the Adv. M3s and got some new ear pads for my audio technicas.

Got a chance to listen to these today. They were comfy and looked really nice but man they sounded like garbage. I'm not sure how I've heard good things about them but they were just very muted and had pretty much zero soundstage.
Also tried out some Audeze EL-8 closed backs at the same place and somehow they were even more garbage.

Audioquest used some retarded dipolar tier misunderstanding of HRTF when designing those, not surprising they sound like absolute ass.

>Still angry about his personal tripfag
Jej

My Vsonic GR07's are finally falling apart after ~4 years. I loved them as a daily driver. Should I go for the new 2017 versions with the detachable cable or is there something else I should be looking at? I'd like to keep price range around $100-150.

HE 400i for 400$ CAD better than the HD 600 or 650?

Sounds like a darker HD 600/650 with more soundstage and better bass. The HD 600 is more mid-centric with rolled off bass and recessed treble, whereas the HD 650 is an HD 600 with more mid-bass bloat and even more recessed highs

That's a sweet collection user. I want to listen to every pair you own. I'll own the hd6xx soon though!
What does garbage mean? That's really vague.
Can you go into any more detail regarding both?
Whats your comparison?

I think it does rock and electronic music better. Jazz, classical and instrumental sounds really nice on HD600

I personally disagree with the notion that more bass means good for electronic music. Most of the stuff I listen to is electronic and the main difference between it and other music is how complex it is. Especially like trance? All kinds of shit going on. You don't want enhanced bass to overshadow the rest. You maybe want it to be just a tad bright with decent sound stage.

>enhanced bass to overshadow the rest
subbass doesn't do that

mid bass is the one you want to avoid being bloated.
sub-bass is a very good thing though. Something the hd600 doesnt have.

also, just want to say you are sorrowingly missing out if you've never heard trance with a distortion free subbass boost. you get your euphoric trance but you also have the bass dipping low and massaging your head

suggest headphones
pls
under $500

E-MU Teak or TH-X00, get the attenuation ring from denon, get NVX angled pads

e-even if i dont have a hd600?

yes lol

HE400i isn't boosted bass it just reaches lower than the HD600 giving a fuller sound

holy shit I still don't fucking get it after different videos, how are these madmen doing it

youtube.com/watch?v=pEd7ru24Vx0

What does this mean from Wikipedia?

"Good headphones, well sealed to the ear, provide a flat low-frequency pressure response to the ear canal, with low distortion even at high intensities. At low frequencies the ear is purely pressure-sensitive, and the cavity formed between headphones and ear is too small to introduce modifying resonances. Headphone testing is therefore a good way to derive equal-loudness contours below about 500 Hz, though reservations have been expressed about the validity of headphone measurements when determining the actual threshold of hearing, based on observation that closing off the ear canal produces increased sensitivity to the sound of blood flow within the ear, which the brain appears to mask in normal listening conditions[citation needed]. At high frequencies, headphone measurement gets unreliable, and the various resonances of pinnae (outer ear) and ear canal are severely affected by proximity to the headphone cavity."

how long are your cables? if they are long enough you can do it how us climbers do it:
youtube.com/watch?v=7TqyyBDNnEg

or you can daisy chain them which is a pain

budget multibit at least
youtube.com/watch?v=gQA6T5ijuX0

you'll all be buying the monoprice isines, right?

Lower frequencies below 500 hz are not affected by ear shape like higher frequencies.

400i are nobass headphones. HD600s are almost niggerbass headphones.

just 4 ft to 6 ft or something.

doesn't help that all 3 videos i watched all have different methods so im getting confused.From what I understand so far it's just alternating twist but this is far less intuitive than it should be

What would you recommend for gaming with focus on sound positioning? I remember ATH-AD700 being recommended way back, but what about now?

try the daisy chain:
youtube.com/watch?v=9-eT6v2OBno

I own both and that has not been my experience

pic + timestamp

you first

>he can't
kek, okay user