/spg/ - Smartphone General - Proper Edition Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Sony Xperia XZ1 hands-on review
gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz1_ifa_2017-review-1649.php

LG V30 hands-on review
gsmarena.com/lg_v30-review-1646.php

Alcatel Idol 5s, Idol 5, A7 XL, A7 hands-on review
gsmarena.com/alcatel_ifa_2017-review-1648.php

Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) now available in US
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a5_2017_now_available_in_us-news-27067.php

LG V30 will probably cost $749.99
gsmarena.com/lg_v30_will_probably_cost_749-news-27084.php

Samsung Galaxy S9 is rumored to debut in January
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s9_is_rumored_to_debut_in_january-news-27053.php

Cat unveils the rugged S41 and S31 phones, T20 tablet too: fear no water nor any height
gsmarena.com/cat_unveils_two_rugged_phones_and_a_tablet-news-27042.php

Yes, the LG V30's camera really does have an f/1.6 aperture
androidcentral.com/yes-lg-v30s-camera-really-does-have-f16-aperture?

The Xiaomi Mi MiX 2 Shows Off The Snapdragon 836 Running On Android 8.0 Oreo
geeksultd.com/2017/09/xiaomi-mi-mix-2-shows-off-snapdragon-836-running-android-8-0-oreo/

Other urls found in this thread:

gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_617026.html?wid=4
gsmarena.com/lg_v20-8238.php#vs995
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi5s
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-leeco-letv-le-pro-3-x722
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-huawei-honor-8-al00-3gb-32gb
tsbohemia.cz/chytra-zarizeni-telefony-a-tablety_c32735.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Qi50RP3EjwA
downloads.oneplus.net/oneplus-5/oneplus_5_oxygenos_4.5.10/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is there an app or something that can force apps to work in landscape mode? I got one of them fancy drawing apps but apparently it only works in portrait

What's the best kernel to use with the G4 Play?

I've seen some people say the right tweaks can make the phone nearly lag-free.

Now this is how you make a thread

Threadly reminder that if you buy a phone with a screen bigger than 5.3", you're compensating for your tiny dick.

Threadly reminder that if you buy anything other than Samsung, Apple, Google, LG, Moto, you're getting CHINKED and your phone will go to shit in less than 6 months.

Nevermind I found one

>Threadly reminder that if you buy anything other than Samsung, Apple, Google, LG, Moto, you're getting CHINKED and your phone will go to shit in less than 6 months.
My old Sony Ericsson lasted a good four years before it started to shit itself

>using 3 year old phones for the thumbnail

what is this shit?

Sony Ericsson doesn't exist anymore, though. It was good, I agree with that.

my job requires i hand my phone over to someone to have them sign work orders. right now i have an iphone se and its cool amd all but its not phenominal for workflow and the app market is pretty slim. thinking of rolling android.

united states, verizon.

looking for a powerhouse phone that isnt snap i. half thin, has a good camera, and a stylus. would like to be able to ise it for a few years, and can take a beating, with solid battery life. i like my phones built like a walkie, and can go a day and a half without recharging.

recommendations? my last android was an atrix 2 like 5 years ago. was cool but it eventually ahit itself.

recommendations? would also like to maintain a small size since im usually out working, on a bike, or innawoods.

i like geographic information systems too

Say I download an app that has a 15 day free trial of the paid version. Is there a file in the phone I can delete to reset the trial, or is that info tied to the google account that donwloaded the app?

Is modern Sony's smartphone division not good anymore?

Tied to the account

They're okay, but they've made some shitty design choices lately on their newer phones. The Xperia XZ1 compact only being 720p res. etc.

There's a flash sale on GearBest and one of the phones in the sale is a Xiaomi Mi Mix 6GB RAM / 256 GB storage.

Is the Xiaomi Mi Mix worth getting at this price?

gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_617026.html?wid=4

It's on sale because Mi Mix 2 is out soon

Yeah I figured as much. Trying to decide between the Mi Mix and the OnePlus 5. I want the bigger screen of the Mix but I like the specs on the OnePlus 5...

>be able to ise it for a few years, and can take a beating, with solid battery life.
Galaxy S7/8 Active.

>xiaomeme

Fragiles phones, overheating, small battery on XZ1, etc.
My family had 2 cheap Sony phones and both had bugs (battery lasts less and less until you restart the phone).

The earpiece in the mix is trash it acts almost as if its on speaker phone if you dont mind that go for it I do like the ceramic build though.

It isn't necessarily better than the OP5 but it's definitely the more interesting phone. SD821 is still a good performer and you have a 4400mah battery. There's custom ROMs available too so you don't have to use MIUI.

>xiaomeme
>oneplusmeme
>samsungmeme
>sonymeme

Hey /spg/ Burgerlander looking for a replacement Android phone.
I'm on Verizon and looking for a phone with a good camera, good battery life, headphone jack and something that wont get fucking hot in my pocket because of BLOATshit

I'm split on SD card and removable battery, but as long as the phone has good storage and battery life it doesn't matter if I can remove the SD or Battery

Considered options

Samshit GS8
Botnet Pixel XL

Should I be considering something else entirely?

LG V30

Yeah I still don't know which ROM is the best for that phone since there's LineageOS, Resurrection Remix. I am leaning towards Lineage since they seem to update weekly whereas RR's last update for Xiaomi was in May or something...

Thanks for sharing

redbull me on chinkphones, are they worth it?

att only :(

They've hinted they'll soon release an unlocked version of the S8 active.

Apple sold 30+ million iPhone SE and a successor might arrive in early 2018. Why aren't there any good android devices in the 4" segment anymore if there's obvisiously demand?

Yeah, RIP k750i.

Yes, absolutely

yes white man you pay now buy cheap phone

There is a Verizon model for LG V20.

gsmarena.com/lg_v20-8238.php#vs995

You can always slap LineageOS on it if you want further updates...

See

thanks for the recommendations friends

I've seen a lot of talk about LG in these threads and watched a video of the V30 and it looks pretty slick, similar to the Galaxy in certain ways but nicer.

am I better of waiting for the V30 to drop this month? or to just bite the bullet and grab the V20 which also just seems really good.

So what's the most decent phone around 200 €? (with camera being kind of a priority)
So far I put Xaiomi Redmi 4X, Moto E4 Plus, Moto G5 and Samsung Galaxy J5 2017 into the list

Ask yourself this:

Are you certain you are going to use every single feature of the phone more than once? What is more important for you: the newest phone or one that is still kind of new and is still decent for every day tasks?

Sometimes writing out a list helps to settle things...

But I have big hands and 5" and below screens look small on me ;_;

Redmi Note 4 Global, Nokia 6

All trash cameras.

Honor 8, Mi5s, or Le Max 2 are far better.

gain height im begging ya

>caring this much about the camera on a phone
Phone cameras are for taking quick pics of unimportant shit, if you want to do real photography you get a real camera.

Those are 350+ €

Nokia is out of question, Redmi Note 4 Global seems nice, is there any catch with Xiaomi? It uses Android right? Will it be getting the Nougat update?

>Phone cameras are for taking pictures
shit, really?

Much of photography is about timing and being in the right place at the right time. Having a cellphone that can take decent pictures is obviously better than a phone that can't. If you KNOW you'll be taking picture, of course a DSLR would be better, but not everyone wants to carry a DSLR with them everywhere, whereas most people are already carrying a cellphone.

moto g5 plus, good or shit?

Best phone in the market at that price

>Those are 350+ €

Not really

€213
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi5s

€170
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-leeco-letv-le-pro-3-x722

€184
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-huawei-honor-8-al00-3gb-32gb

>Nokia is out of question
Why's that

>It uses android right? Will it be getting the Nougat update?
Yes, and it already has Nougat

Is the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 at 400$ the best smarphone one can get at that price? can anyone recomend something similar to that?

I am buying from specific e-shop in Europe because of important reasons and just want kind of a simple reference, so can't use any other internet purchase options. There are Xiaomi phones there though, just not at that price.

the person I am asking for doesn't like the brand in general and wouldn't buy Nokia. her heart is with Samsung, just simple bias that's all. But she would consider Xiaomi or Motorola. Around 200 € are to be spent for it. You know how girls like to take selfies etc., that would be the main use for it of course kek

LG V20 is $370 at BH photo video

Mind linking the store? If I could have a look at the prices they have I might be able to recommend something better

I know this probably comes up a lot, but.

LG G6 or LG V20?

I keep finding reasons to prefer one over the other, and then the other way around.

Removable battery seems extremely useful, applicable, and otherwise safe. While it's hard to imagine the fixed battery will suck and die quick and easy anyway.

Specs seem generally better on the G6, but not by much. Is it enough to negate the benefits of the V20?

Which one is better for audio and photography? I feel like it's the V20, but there's a lot to consider and I'm still not entirely sure.

Does the 18:9 ratio on the G6 feel better or worse? Somehow I want to hate it because it feels like a major compatibility issue. Things will likely all fit with a nice black border due to the minor offset. Though the V20 has a lot of black edges on the device itself. Does this even matter? And the V20 isn't curved edges either, so perhaps slightly more screen real estate all together anyway?

The second screen seems very useful and applicable.

Is the water resistance on the G6 that much more beneficial? If I can't "literally" swim with it, what's the big deal?

What else should I be considering? What am I missing?

What are the major reasons to get one over the other? Need some serious guidance here.

I feel like the "niche" market could apply to me better, and I care a lot about photo and audio quality, but then I'm not sure they are super important on my phone vs. my actual DSLR and daily driver laptop/ desktop with high quality headphones.

Help lads. ;_;

You probably won't understand most of it but be my guest
tsbohemia.cz/chytra-zarizeni-telefony-a-tablety_c32735.html

Things like dual sim don't matter obviously, mostly just good screen, good battery life and decent camera for that price range. She had S3 Neo before and that was her most beloved phone.

Note: 1 € = ~26 CZK

If I can somehow magically convince her to let me pay for a part of it I wouldn't think twice about pushing G5 Plus to her instead of having to do all of this comparison of midrange phones.

Well the rear camera on the G5 Plus is decent but the front one is kinda shit (only 5MP too)

Yeah that's what frustrates me about this picking. On one side something is good, on other side front camera is 5 MP. I was looking at Moto E4 Plus as well and it seems great, but it can only record up to 720p. Now, I am not sure if that's really a problem but something doesn't feel right about buying that. So frustrated.

among those options RN4 global (SD625) is the best option.

I have the regular G5 and it's pretty good, the camera is meh but on daylight it's ok. The G5 Plus gets more praise tho, and the camera is an update so idk.

Sony XA1 is worth looking at, 23mp on the back and 8mp on the front.

Does Quickpic send data to cheetah?

mm yeah front cameras seem to be quite similar on all of the smartphones in that price range with an odd Galaxy J5 with 13MP front camera. So I guess 5MP for front is the norm, well back camera is more important of course so not sure about that, but it also seems quite similar in quality in all of those phones.

RN4 Global seems quite an attractive option, if not for her Samsung bias and G5 Plus is only in talks if her dignity ever allows it.

I myself am with Moto G3 back from 2015 and it's meh but at that time it was topping the budget phone top lists and that's what G5 Plus keeps doing now. Seems like their G line always gets the best praise.

Camera seems nice, although battery is a bit too much on low end. Would rather have an average camera in exchange for that 3000-4000 mAh. Nice option as well, though.

Do you know how to make the google search bar not close on itself before doing a search?

>using google

Why does Android still not include a QR code reader in its set f default apps?

So, im going to finally upgrade from my piece of shit Moto G2, LineageOS made it an actual useable phone but still, i cant stand having 1gb ram shit closing all the time

I have been looking at the OnePlus 5 reviews and i like it so far, im planning to get the 8GB/128GB version, getting it mostly for the storage since it doesnt have expandable storage, i heard 8GB RAM is a meme? is it true? Anyone have experience with the 1+5 and recommend it?

the battery life isn't as bad as 2300mah might make it sound, the chipset is very power efficient, the display is only 720p and Sony is good with optimizing their phones. But obviously, 4000mah will be better.

>mum's phone craps out
>asks for help getting a new one
>realise you don't know how to buy phones for people in their 60s
Do you base it on budget or specs at that point?

iPhone SE

at that point? size of the buttons, kek

user I don't hate my mother

Personally went with the v20 cause I like the different look and the fact you can get expandable batteries for it.

That's google.

alri, I will keep that option in my list

Boi you bout to get chinkd

Is it a bad idea to buy a zuk z2 pro now that the company is kill?

eh when talking about brands she said everyone is using Xiaomi there nowadays, I am just worried about it being so cheap. is there some catch? does it start burning at some point or what? even I am considering changing my Moto G3 to Xiaomi if not for G5 Plus now.

Right now I'm on a verizon plan with a galaxy S4 that I got about 4 years ago. I'm moving to Cricket soon, but my phone didn't fully accept the cricket test sims (showed phone signal but no data).

The S4 still works just fine with no noticeable glitches or malfunctions, and I wouldn't want to get a new phone if it's not necessary, but now I'm thinking of upgrading rather than taking a chance with a new and possibly limited connection.

I'm debating between the Galaxy J7 (Halo) or the LG X Charge

I'm leaning toward the LG because my job normally puts me out in the woods or camping for a week at a time, and the large battery would be helpful. I don't use my S4 for much, just texts, email, maps, and some light web browsing. Having a decent camera would be nice, too.

The LG is also cheaper, I could get it for $100 if I buy it when I sign up. If I tried the S4 and couldn't connect it to the Cricket network, the LG would be $130. The Galaxy Halo would cost me $170 either way

Any advice for one over the other? Or should I just try to keep the S4? I want to keep my budget under 200 if at all possible

I pre-ordered this because I am weak-willed. My iPhone 6s Plus is still going strong.

I wouldn't worry that, especially since from the looks of it that store is offering two years of warranty on the phones. The biggest "catch" is that the cameras on the Redmi phones aren't that good.

>The biggest "catch" is that the cameras on the Redmi phones aren't that good.
I see. Well, that will be up to her to decide

>from the looks of it that store is offering two years of warranty on the phones.
All electronics in EU have an obligatory 2 year warranty, no matter the country or type, be it laptop, refrigerator or a smart phone.

just do it
uwu

Me too, i'll find out how it is next week, maybe the week after at the latest.

>Nokia 6
youtube.com/watch?v=Qi50RP3EjwA

just get a redmi note 4 or mi 5s

What a retarded "review"

how so, it's seriously underpowered for the price, even if you don't game or watch videos an SD625 is more power efficient

Oneplus 5 vs Samsung S8

Money isn't an issue, pick one for me nerds.

Nokia 8

S8 all the way, even with touchjizz, the overall build quality and camera hardware and display tech make it a better device.

Any anons that have a Note 7 discount code and don't use it?

OP5 hasn't bloatware, plus it's faster than the S8
But overall S8 has better build and a much much better camera. OP5 screen has a 'jelly' efect due to the screen mounted upside down.Anything else you want to knwo?

LG V30

literally this

I thought OP5 has the better camera? 16mp dual camera?

No, the camera is worse. No OIS either.

It may be on paper but even if the OP5 has dual lens, 2x zoom with no loss , the s8 still takes better shots. Just watch some reviews. I know everything on these 2, been saving up for some months and I'm still not decided on which one to buy.

megapixels mean shit user
samsung probably has the best smartphone software for the camera.
also the sensor is better iirc

They released an update to the Oxygen OS on the 31st of August. Does it help any with the "jelly" effect?

downloads.oneplus.net/oneplus-5/oneplus_5_oxygenos_4.5.10/

The jelly effect can't be fixed. It's hardware not software, all OP5s have the screen mounted upside down, that's the reason.

Good to know as I was considering getting one of those phones. Funny how none of the reviews I've seen about that phone never mention the jelly effect or that the screen is upside down.