Headphone Technology

Thinking about buying the ATH-M70X. Is it a good one or is there something you think is far superior in the same price class?

Currently been using a Sennheiser G4ME Zero for almost 2 years and its falling apart lol, right ear joint broken and earpads scuffed need help send nudes

Other urls found in this thread:

innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHM70x.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHMSR7.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=3AZTKCMRzHM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I like my M50x's but sometimes I get ear pain because their headphones aren't very big

Unless you're doing audio production/editing/mixing work you wont like these. Sound is too flat for most people but if you're a patrician and actually like a flat sound buy them, they sound amazing.

Can you install gentoo on it?

>is there something you think is far superior in the same price class?
MSR7.

This

AKG K702 is the best headphone ever made

Wait for a mass drop on the K7XX or HD6XX. Don't buy these.

love my M50X, I love the V sound.
I had the M40X, but returned them two days later because I could not stand the flat sound.
But I don't think the x70's have the justified price that they are at. Wonderful sound but at the wrong price.

They're good

Maybe look into ATH-R70X? People say they are like the open versions of M70X but better. Price is only $50 more expensive. I can't personally compare to M70X though since I don't own them.

Ath-msr7

I swapped out the pads for beyerdynamic velour ones, helped with the pain for me

>$289
at that price, just move up to the PM-3 ($400) or SRH1540 ($500) instead if you want closed headphones. Or if you must insist staying with ATH, then get the ATH-MSR7 ($214).

Awkward dips there.
innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHM70x.pdf

Compare that to the MSR7 for example. Far superior at a much cheaper price.
innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHMSR7.pdf

Look into Sennheiser HD600.

Anyone else waiting for their TH-X00 with me or am I just really late to the party?

I really hope the wood doesn't crack in their warehouse or something.. Is the headphone in a sealed plastic bag?

OP here, still trying to figure out the headphones, I'm trying to expand my budget but that will require an Amp and possibly a DAC, will be trying to first gather that up and then decide on headphones. By the end of the year I should be satisfied. Thanks for the tips, the MSR7 + HD6XX and the $400-$500 range is what I should be looking for.

>not buying flattest possible
>not using eq and tuning it to perfection for your ears only

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO

Look into schiit.

i'd suggest getting an Amp/DAC combo. A DAC isn't complicated shit anyways, and you might not even hear a difference if your computer's onboard audio is adequate already. Dealing with two wallwarts from a separete DAC and amp is a fucking pain.

Definitely will need an amp with the HD6XX because of its retarded impedance peak at the bass. The MSR7 (plus the PM-3 and SRH1540) will not benefit from an amp at all. Heck closed headphones in general won't need an amp since they're designed with low impedance in the first place for portable use.

Yeah, a $40 - $50 pci sound card will be as good as a dac.

If your amp has an optical or coaxial input any USB to digital or pci sound card with digital out will dump the error free stream to the amp. Thank fuck for error correction.

Was looking into the Shiit Fulla 2 Amp/DAC combo and also the Modi 2 & Magni 2 combo, the Modi and Magni combo is undoubtedly more expensive. Does the price difference prove itself worth it? Hard questions, I might just buy the Shiit Fulla 2 just because of the low price point and see if I'm satisfied with it. Otherwise I can just use that one as a portable and look into purchasing the Magni 2 for home use.

*Schiit

>fulla 2 vs modi non-uber
same dac chip, identical pretty much
>fulla 2 vs magni
fulla 2 distorts a lot near max volume on HD600/650. Magni does not.

Advice: Just grab fulla 2. Likely everything you'll ever need. If not, magni 2 connected to DAC out = upgrade path.

>fulla 2 distorts a lot
Meant to say, a little bit.
I own HD600, the schiit uber stack and the fulla 2.
If I didn't have the magni2 to compare, I wouldn't even know about the distortion thing.
On other headphones (easier to drive, HD598) it sounds pretty much identical as the magni2 even at max volume.
In practice, after testing the fulla2 extensively (couple of weeks) with my HD600, I've found I stay within the first 1/3rd of volume anyway, and I _never_ go to the area where it distorts (pretty much 3 to 5 (max) o'clock), because that's deafening loud.

Yeah this will likely be the path to go, Fulla 2, test it out, if not - great for portable use. Invest in a Magni 2 Uber and that should do it, eventually a DAC upgrade.

What are the best headphones using in an electric guitar amp for silent practice?

>eventually a DAC upgrade.
There's no such thing, unless you believe in snake oil.
The fulla 2 DAC is good enough to be audibly transparent. All dacs that aren't flawed will simply sound the same. Beyond that, it's the unicorns and rainbows of audiophilia.
>what's the point of the fulla 2 then
While they're getting better, many motherboard implementations of sound are fucked, with bad noise floor or some sort of distortion or another. Having a known-good reference like the fulla 2 to compare against does help against audio paranoia.
Mine is not that old (Z97 chipset) and it's possible to hear DMA noise from it (move a window around, access the hard disk... any i/o causes noise on silence, which should be effectively black).

Unless you have people at a few steps from you, an open reference, such as the popular HD600, will do.
youtube.com/watch?v=3AZTKCMRzHM

Could be that I just want a stack and be pleased with myself with no other reason than to look at that Schiit smeared sandwich.

I like mine, it's so pwetty.
Got the uber version... its modi has spdif inputs, which the fulla2 does not. That way, I can tell myself there's a point to it. I'm not using the preamp outs, but at some point I'll get some near field monitors to go there.

no it does not look as good as you think.

Think about the line output/input placed at the back, how do you think it's going to look with the cable?

WHERE THE FUCK IS /HPG/
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Make one yourself instead of shitposting here

I'm scared I'll mess it up. Can you do it for me?

I believe in you user
Just go the archive, copy the last thread, find some meme-tier headphones to use as the image and then post
Even if you mess it up it's better than no thread

That's unironically bullshit and you know it. And I'm not even one of HD600 shills, k702 are just very situational pair of headphones that some people will like and some won't. I actually prefer cheaper k612 over more expensive k702 myself out of AKG headphones.
If someone is looking specifically for cheap headphones with amazing soundstage then yes, k702 are probably the best pick.

I was advised that this might be a better thread to ask this If anyone can give some insight it would be appreciated.

There is another /hpg/ thread that will be more active most likely.
I would say no, at this price point you can actually get something like JBL lsr305 and have something really good. I think you should be able to get cheap audio interface also in this price.
Edifier speakers are in general very good buy and one of the best PC speakers around, but if you are going to spend this much money I would go for studio monitors. Just make sure to read up on speaker placement and follow it properly to get actually good audio experience.
That aside, I don't think you would be very disappointed with Edifiers either. At the very least their speakers are in completely different league than shit like Logikek, Creative and other popular PC speaker makers.

I have the lsr305 and vanatoo t0 and i would recommend the vanatoo over the jbl for desktop usage. There's lots of ways the vanatoos are better and probably better than any speaker for its size. If you're worried if they sound small or tinny. They don't. The biggest thing for me personally that I can't stand in speakers is sound dispersion, sound stage, and imaging and it does all them very good. The lsr305s off axis ruins it for desktop for me.

I plan to use them on my desk about 40-50 cm to each side of my monitor so about a meter or so apart and at about a hand's length away from me.
What would you recommend for that?
I'm interested in active speakers because I don't want to deal with amps. And I want something reasonably priced, let's say in the 200-350$ range. I've looked at recommended monitors such as Yamaha HS8 or Klipsch R-15PM but those are both outside of that price range where I live. And while I'm interested in decent sound quality I don't consider myself an audiophile and would take form/function/looks over a barely discernible difference in quality.