Old Pc

I picked up a intergraph TD-300 Dual pentium pro pc that someone tossed out, Its a scsi interface and it works perfect, besides being old and costing $4900 in 1996, what should i do with it.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-350-466-DX2-pc-Desktop-Computer-486-66-Mhz-16Mb-RAM-TESTED-/172824372125?hash=item283d22a39d:g:kDcAAOSwg0pZZJ8Y
ebay.com/itm/Compaq-ProLinea-4-66-486DX2-Computer-PC-DOS-7-0-56MB-RAM-2GB-Memory-Works-Great-/182685886049?hash=item2a88ed6661:g:ezkAAOSwbiFZTGZW
ebay.com/itm/Compaq-ProLinea-4-66-486-DX2-66-Vintage-Computer-PC-16MB-RAM-420MB-HD-WIN95-DOS-/192285639030?hash=item2cc51e0176:g:oBwAAOSwbeJZnHmz
ebay.com/itm/Vintage-486DX33i-Computer-FRESH-REBUILD-RESTORED-Gamer-or-Industrial-use-/292210664935?hash=item44091ce5e7:g:~ugAAOSwcEtZjLPM
ebay.com/itm/Vintage-AST-486-DOS-Windows-3-11-Retro-Gaming-Computer-SSD-HD-Sound-Blaster-16-/272767139548?epid=7003478377&hash=item3f82303edc:g:RBsAAOSw3h1ZRf-f
ebay.com/itm/Packard-Bell-Legend-115-486SX-Vintage-Computer-/282593606488?hash=item41cbe43b58:g:YHMAAOSwlcZZf020
ebay.com/itm/Compaq-ProLinea-4-66-486DX2-Computer-Windows-95-20MB-RAM-1-85GB-Memory-Works-/182686005494?hash=item2a88ef38f6:g:WhIAAOSwqeFZd8ik
ebay.com/itm/IBM-486SLC2-PS2-MODEL-53-486-COMPUTER-8mb-Ram-500mb-HD-Rare-Vintage-WORKS-/232344512523?hash=item3618cfe80b:g:OIIAAOSwz2lXCTFb
ebay.com/itm/Vintage-486DX2-66-Computer-FRESH-REBUILD-RESTORED-Gamer-or-Industrial-use-/292200585619?hash=item4408831993:g:h0cAAOSwkspZclk8
ebay.com/itm/Vintage-486-DOS-Windows-3-11-Retro-Gaming-Computer-Sound-Blaster-16-ISA-COM-LPT-/272702016661?hash=item3f7e4e8c95:g:xckAAOSwsXFZNDZ-
ebay.com/itm/IBM-PS-2-Model-85-Vintage-i486SX-33-32MB-RAM-9585-/372031685637?hash=item569ed10405:g:mRsAAOSw~qNZgLyV
ebay.com/itm/IBM-ThinkPad-720C-Win95-16-MB-memory-486-vintage-laptop-/112511288655?hash=item1a3232054f:g:Ab4AAOSwZs1Zhb96
ebay.com/itm/Vtg-IBM-PS-1-486SX-PC-DOS-25-MHz-129-Mb-HD-4-Mb-RAM-TESTED-WORKS-GREAT-CLEAN-/272791866093?hash=item3f83a98aed:g:VmUAAOSwEatZhYUN
ebay.com/itm/HP-Vectra-Ve-4-100-D3503A-Socket-3-486DX4-100Mhz-16mb-Ram-HCJVECTRAVE4-Working-/182136536633?hash=item2a682efe39:g:DrMAAOSwcvdXPFZB
ebay.com/itm/AMD-40-MHz-386DX-computer-16-MB-RAM-408-MB-HD-1-2-MB-floppy-Windows-3-1-/222613617514?hash=item33d4ce3b6a:g:gA0AAOSw32lYn5Rm
ebay.com/itm/RARE-Vintage-IBM-PS-2-Model-P70-386-Portable-Computer-Working-w-Case-/263115415530?hash=item3d42e69fea:g:kFAAAOSw~AVYtf2~
winworldpc.com/product/os-2-warp-4/os-2-warp-452
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

draw penises on it

install gentoo

Donate it to LGR

would how long that would take

All its good for is the CPUs. They had a (relatively) lot of gold in them and people will buy them for like $20 each so they can melt them down and extract it.

take pics of mobo and post on Sup Forums

I'll give you $50 for it.

Put it on eBay. There's nothing useful you can do with a Pentium Pro, not even 9x gaming box because 16-bit performance was lackluster. Someone will buy it if only for the gold contained within the CPU.

Gut it and build a sleeper with that case.

You're only limited by your creativity.
Have fun with it.

bumping for interest

Give it to me. :D

I've always wanted my pentuim pro back.
and 2 is go much better.

Put in a closet and don't think about it for a few years until you come to know enough about tech to start messing around with it.

Please sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up about things you don't know anything about.
>hey had a (relatively) lot of gold in them and people will buy them for like $20 each so they can melt them down and extract it.
Dumbasses would do that (and a few still do). The intact computer is worth far more than the gold in it would be worth.

This is a semi-rare computer and the CPUs are actually the least valuable part of it.

I agree. He will make a good review.

LGR does not really care or know enough about such hardware

After seeing I say pull out the CPUs and sell then and hammer down the rest of the shit while recording and post it just to piss off retarded luddites like him.

>point out computer is worth more than the gold
>get called a "retard" by some kid
Kill yourself for not being able to follow simple logic. That is, if you're even intelligent enough to pull a trigger.

>computer is worth more than the gold
to whom? yeah sure, maybe you will find a retard who will buy the whole thing for 30 bucks after a few months instead of getting rid of the CPUs right away for 20 bucks

You'd probably get 50 bucks out of it right now. In a couple of years $200. Who knows where it will go as the retro PC collecting hobby begins to take off. It's just now getting started as millennials have chosen it as their version of old men with their cars.

You sell the CPU right now and trash the rest for $20 it will only ever be worth the $20 you'll quickly fritter away.

If you can't wait 3 months to make money on something you probably should just stick to wageslavery.

At this point he's got so much shit in storage he might never get around to it, he might just dump it back into a goodwill, theres no fucking point.

>In a couple of years $200.
>He thinks retro computers are an investment
Topkek

>investment
>it was fucking free

That has nothing to do with something being an investment though. Keeping it for the purpose of gain is an investment, does not matter if you found it in a garbage pile or bought it.

If you drop it from a great enough height it might be lethal.

Why does Sup Forums love old pieces of shit again?

Because it's interesting to tinker with old hardware in the same fashion it's fun to thinker and use old cars and firearms and any other panoply of things.

You could buy a pallet of 386 and 486 computers at auctions for a dollar 15 years ago. Those computers would now be worth a hundred bucks a piece. If you had waited to sell them now you would be making quite a nice profit. The same could be said for the boxes of mechanical keyboards that were once shunned. Or the professional CRT video monitors almost no one wanted until about five years ago. These things were also considered flatly inferior to newer tech, in contrast to their current reputation of quality. In time older PCs may grow in value as people begin to seek them out to play older video games on the original hardware. Emulation and patches to run on moden OSes (getting harder every year) may not be suitable for some people.

Do you know what that is called when you wait for something to grow in value? That's called an investment, user. Whether it is in computers, video games, old cars, magic cards, toys, or anything else doesn't matter. The fact you think it matters leads me to believe you lack maturity. Money is what matters.

No it's not.

Because Sup Forums for the most part, unlike you, isn't actually autistic and can like both old and new things at the same time for different reasons.

>You could buy a pallet of 386 and 486 computers at auctions for a dollar 15 years ago.
>Those computers would now be worth a hundred bucks a piece. If you had waited to sell them now you would be making quite a nice profit.
First, nobody pays hundreds of bucks a piece for a 386 or 486, maybe 70 bucks. Don't believe meme eBay prices, they don't sell.
Second, a ~70 bucks profit for something that you had to keep dry, safe and clean for 15 years in storage, does not seem like a good investment at all.

So no, they are not an investment, barely counted as one if you thought about getting shitboxes 15 years ago to sell today, counts even less now when the prices are up and the meme retro hype will blow over soon.

>Because Sup Forums for the most part, unlike you, isn't actually autistic
Bitch please, /retro/ is top notch autism, go away, you won't fit in.

>Don't believe meme eBay prices, they don't sell.
Except they do. All it would have taken is 1 minute for you to search the sold listings on ebay and see for yourself. Some of them go for quite a lot over $100.

You have invalidated your posts through your laziness.

>Second, a ~70 bucks profit for something that you had to keep dry, safe and clean for 15 years in storage

>he doesn't have numerous storage facilities on his property
laughin at ya city slicker

Most of the people who post in /retro/ are not autistic and have a pretty broad and even view of technological progress.

Source. Multiple please.
Take into account the time they where up for sale, now try to sell several of them, how much would that take? Now consider how many go for several times less compared to the few that go for more.

You have invalidated your point by stupidity.

Not even 1 pallets worth sold on ebay, let alone your pallets worth.

How's the internet access in the sticks?

How is having a broad and even view of technology related to being or not autistic?
Retro is pure autism fest, sure most of those people have main computers with parts newer than 18 months and so on, this does not change the fact that actual retro posters are usually very autistic about their shit, unlike some who don't really care/know/want to and just post pictures for imaginary points.

>That's called an investment, user. Whether it is in computers, video games, old cars, magic cards, toys, or anything else doesn't matter.
I wouldn't "invest" in those things, mostly because it can be very unpredictable. You also have to find a willing sucker to pay outrageous prices, theres no shortage of old geezers trying to sell their old "classic" cars for tens of thousands, but theres a very limited supply of people willing to pay.

The only way you're going to make any money off retro is by being a reseller.
It's no way an investment in 2017 and nobody thought about it being one decades ago in quantities that would profit as an investment.

You dumb nigger I just told you the source was the sold listings on ebay and I am not going to link you to something should have found yourself in the first place before putting your fat fingers to a keyboard.

And here you have samefagged
and apparently are so incredibly stupid you don't understand ebay sales history only goes back 60 days.

??

Cars are a bad market right now, yeah. But there was a time when a lot of guys made a living off of it. These things ebb and flow and you have to try to go where the money goes.

No source? Your argument is invalid then.
I agree with the other anons though. Thinking that this shit is expensive like you say it is, is stupid.

I'm out

>The only way you're going to make any money off retro is by being a reseller.
No shit? I thought you could make money by buying things and not selling them. Great tip, user.

Your bait is so bad, please give me those magical listings. I bet you're having a hard time finding them?

Yes, because cars are actually expensive.
You could make a living out of it, making several thousands in profits.
But buying old shitboxes to store them for decades and make enough money in profit to buy barely a dinner at a decent restaurant? That's not "making a living".

ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-350-466-DX2-pc-Desktop-Computer-486-66-Mhz-16Mb-RAM-TESTED-/172824372125?hash=item283d22a39d:g:kDcAAOSwg0pZZJ8Y

ebay.com/itm/Compaq-ProLinea-4-66-486DX2-Computer-PC-DOS-7-0-56MB-RAM-2GB-Memory-Works-Great-/182685886049?hash=item2a88ed6661:g:ezkAAOSwbiFZTGZW

ebay.com/itm/Compaq-ProLinea-4-66-486-DX2-66-Vintage-Computer-PC-16MB-RAM-420MB-HD-WIN95-DOS-/192285639030?hash=item2cc51e0176:g:oBwAAOSwbeJZnHmz

ebay.com/itm/Vintage-486DX33i-Computer-FRESH-REBUILD-RESTORED-Gamer-or-Industrial-use-/292210664935?hash=item44091ce5e7:g:~ugAAOSwcEtZjLPM

ebay.com/itm/Vintage-AST-486-DOS-Windows-3-11-Retro-Gaming-Computer-SSD-HD-Sound-Blaster-16-/272767139548?epid=7003478377&hash=item3f82303edc:g:RBsAAOSw3h1ZRf-f

ebay.com/itm/Packard-Bell-Legend-115-486SX-Vintage-Computer-/282593606488?hash=item41cbe43b58:g:YHMAAOSwlcZZf020

ebay.com/itm/Compaq-ProLinea-4-66-486DX2-Computer-Windows-95-20MB-RAM-1-85GB-Memory-Works-/182686005494?hash=item2a88ef38f6:g:WhIAAOSwqeFZd8ik

ebay.com/itm/IBM-486SLC2-PS2-MODEL-53-486-COMPUTER-8mb-Ram-500mb-HD-Rare-Vintage-WORKS-/232344512523?hash=item3618cfe80b:g:OIIAAOSwz2lXCTFb

ebay.com/itm/Vintage-486DX2-66-Computer-FRESH-REBUILD-RESTORED-Gamer-or-Industrial-use-/292200585619?hash=item4408831993:g:h0cAAOSwkspZclk8

ebay.com/itm/Vintage-486-DOS-Windows-3-11-Retro-Gaming-Computer-Sound-Blaster-16-ISA-COM-LPT-/272702016661?hash=item3f7e4e8c95:g:xckAAOSwsXFZNDZ-

ebay.com/itm/IBM-PS-2-Model-85-Vintage-i486SX-33-32MB-RAM-9585-/372031685637?hash=item569ed10405:g:mRsAAOSw~qNZgLyV

ebay.com/itm/IBM-ThinkPad-720C-Win95-16-MB-memory-486-vintage-laptop-/112511288655?hash=item1a3232054f:g:Ab4AAOSwZs1Zhb96

ebay.com/itm/Vtg-IBM-PS-1-486SX-PC-DOS-25-MHz-129-Mb-HD-4-Mb-RAM-TESTED-WORKS-GREAT-CLEAN-/272791866093?hash=item3f83a98aed:g:VmUAAOSwEatZhYUN

cont.

ebay.com/itm/HP-Vectra-Ve-4-100-D3503A-Socket-3-486DX4-100Mhz-16mb-Ram-HCJVECTRAVE4-Working-/182136536633?hash=item2a682efe39:g:DrMAAOSwcvdXPFZB

ebay.com/itm/AMD-40-MHz-386DX-computer-16-MB-RAM-408-MB-HD-1-2-MB-floppy-Windows-3-1-/222613617514?hash=item33d4ce3b6a:g:gA0AAOSw32lYn5Rm

ebay.com/itm/RARE-Vintage-IBM-PS-2-Model-P70-386-Portable-Computer-Working-w-Case-/263115415530?hash=item3d42e69fea:g:kFAAAOSw~AVYtf2~

Sixteen listings of 386 and 486 computers that sold for $100 or more in the last 60 days on ebay. Lots of them for over $200. You are just wrong here.

"This listing has ended." does not mean it actually sold.
Only see like three that actually sold, out of 16, exactly as I said (), two of them being actual rarer ones that where never _cheap_ to begin with.

Learn2eBay faggot.

What part of "sold" is difficult for you to understand? Every one of those is from the sold category, not just the completed listing.

At this point you are simply pretending to be retarded because you got BTFO.

>This listing has ended.
you where supposed to give us ones that sold
this is exactly like implied, retards think they are worth something and try to sell them but never actually do

They are sold, you idiot. Every item that sells has the line "This listing has ended" if you look it up.

Now watch, you'll pretend that the buyers re-nigged on their payments because you think that happens every time on ebay.

>Now watch, you'll pretend that the buyers re-nigged on their payments because you think that happens every time on ebay.
That's what resellers do though. Good you know about it, so you know you're wrong.

Holy shit, the hipster faggotry is real.
If I cared enough to mess with postage and listing them online, I could make a pretty buck in between, such machines literary go for 10-30 bucks here on local sites, all the freaking time.

Those listings don't get counted as sold. I left that fact out to see if you would hang yourself with it. Ebay only lists something in the sold history if payment was completed!

Every single one of those computers the seller got their money.

Did you think was joking? Sadly there are so many resellers now it's hard to sell anything for such prices or find things for cheap to resell in the first place, lucky if you actually do have access to them for cheap, for personal use obviously.

Theres probably a lot of bid rigging, if you ever decide to do this don't put anything up for 1$ bid starting price, you'll be disappointed.

You can sell them on craigslist too if you don't mind waiting around or live in a big enough city. There are also many forums where people buy and sell these things.

>Ebay only lists something in the sold history if payment was completed!
Not him, but this is false though.

>There are also many forums where people buy and sell these things.
Forums, like Amiga ones are pretty cheap actually compared to artificial prices like that.
Actual people who love their shit don't even try to sell them for ridiculous prices.

It is true but it takes a little while for it to take effect. You can sometimes see stuff that was sold, the buyer didn't get payment and then relisted the item before the window closed on the original buyer to pay for it. Or they will neglect to close it when they can. Anything over 14 days you can be sure actually did sell.

Buy cheap on the forum. Sell high on ebay :^

No, this has nothing to do with what you said, sellers can select something as paid, without eBay knowing. You can do direct bank transfers on eBay to the seller for example, without eBay knowing shit about it.

Well you wouldn't mark it as paid until you got your fuckin' money would you?

Not usually worth it.

With those listings, there is no way to tell, the seller could buy them themselves and listed as paid, only to make his price for the future seem more reasonable. Resellers rig a lot like that. This is how you get prices inflated in the first place, together with bid rigging.

>Those computers would now be worth a hundred bucks a piece.
Never
Ever
Do
That

It's really hard to take you seriously when all the old computer shit locally here goes for mere pennies.
Including meme Model M's and professional CRT monitors.

I think the inflated prices and reseller meme is really small and concentrated compared to the rest.

Install OpenBSD on it.

Why not FreeBSD?

because on Sup Forums, open software means more than functional software

freebsd has actually better support for legacy hardware

>nobody gives a shit about cars anymore

Lol turn it into a sick LGBT lights gaymer sleeper PC!

play doom

The problem with cars is that it's expensive and requires a lot of space if you're planing on owning more then one and wrenching on them. Any serious restoration projects are no go unless you're loaded, it's not rare for some older folks to piss away their savings trying to restore some dream car with nothing to show for it. Same reason theres a decline in younger people getting their drivers license and buying cars, shits expensive and mostly unnecessary in the city. It's a shame really.

Fuck it and take pics

Nice, use some rubbing alcohol and paper towels to wash off the old thermal paste.

Yes, Theo likes to rip legacy code out.

I don't see why you would want to keep a pallet of computers even if you were a collector. At that point you're hoarding.

I guess you could give them away but that seems overly generous.

If you're telling the truth about model m's selling for pennies you're just walking away from really easy money.

That's just how it goes. Old video games are starting to get there. I used to not see anything related to the NES in thrift stores but I'm starting to see it again. And I've seen some dumps of what had to have been a couple of failed retro video game store's stocks. We're not quite back to boxes of carts for a buck apiece but it's getting there.

Arcade machines are another one. For a while a lot of nerds were buying them up to put in their home or office and there was a whole MAME cab scene. That has quieted down a lot and guys who want to get rid of their cabs have found no takers.

install NT 4.0 on it or some linux that supports SMP if you want to pussy out
PPros are pretty fun to mess with, they were ridiculously expensive and pretty much the cutting edge of Intel's capabilities at that time, still plenty of applications around for them on winworld
otherwise, sell it on Ebay or VCF forums or something, probably someone out there who'd love an example or something to mess with, fuck I'd take it if you were close
sure there is, I shitpost from a dual 512K sometimes that runs the usual assortment of office+photoshop+development tools+whatever else

it's not going to play games or watch youtube very well but it will still do whatever the fuck it did in 1996 when it was worth four figures to someone with no good reason to shell out for it "just because"

is that a small (big) speaker??? lolwut

>tfw it probably had a dank GLiNT board in it and some faggot pulled it out to shove a ShitForce MX in it
that shit's nice though, especially with the debossed logo on the plastics

lots of machines geared at office work do that so you don't need to waste space with fuckhuge speakers just to hear notifications and error messages popping up

>I picked up a intergraph TD-300 Dual pentium pro pc
Rare hardware

>what should i do with it.
Normally, I'd say install Gentoo... but in this case: Install OS/2

winworldpc.com/product/os-2-warp-4/os-2-warp-452

is the software base for warp any good? kind of want to fuck with it on some of my own hardware

>is the software base for warp any good?
meh... you know. you're painted into a corner with a dual ppro. OS/2 SMP is one of the few things that will run on it. I've never tried SMP OS/2 so I don't really know what to expect. Worst case you get bored and put NT on it. Hell, maybe even Win2000 if you want something more modern.

Good luck.

you can run whatever on it though, there were plenty of OEMs shipping prosumer P6 boxes with 95 on them and they ran alright, they just won't run 16-bit applications as well as an equivalently clocked Pentium, but who really gives a shit because no matter how you look at it it's still a 21-year-old system anyway that wouldn't be the fastest box for 16-bit applications around either way

if I were OP I would just dual boot NT4/95 on it and enjoy a really nicely engineered piece of history, I love my PPro shit

>you can run whatever on it though, there were plenty of OEMs shipping prosumer P6 boxes with 95 on them and they ran alright
A single pentium pro on 9x is fine.

But Win9x/DOS won't use the 2nd CPU. If you weren't a newfag you'd remember this from living back in the 90s.

did you even read my post you fucking retarded roleplayer?
no wonder this thread is full of people shitting on retrofaggots

>did you even read my post
yep

>there were plenty of OEMs shipping prosumer P6 boxes with 95 on them and they ran alright
Sure, but they weren't SMP. SMP was exotic until the mod 2000s when HyperThreading was introduced. Most people didn't have multiple cores for a couple more years.

>they just won't run 16-bit applications as well as an equivalently clocked Pentium
Jesus H. Christ you are wrong again. PentiumPro will run 16bit applications as well or faster than a regular Pentium, because of the larger CPU cache running at full CPU speed.

>no wonder this thread is full of people shitting on retrofaggots
You're the one shitting all over the place here. Clearly you're just some stupid kid who thinks they know what they are talking about, instead of a seasoned IT Professional with close to 30 years of experience.

>PentiumPro will run 16bit applications as well or faster than a regular Pentium, because of the larger CPU cache running at full CPU speed.
>seasoned IT Professional with close to 30 years of experience.
not today friend, stick to the wikipedia talk pages until your balls drop

>wikipedia
Oh boy.

Most Pentiums were 120MHz or lower, which might at best equal a Pentium Pro, even for those 16/8bit mixed instuctions. Even the fastest P55c were slower than the Celerons which replaced them. The fastest P55c I've ever seen in person was only 166MHz. The faster P55cs were pretty rare, and they only went up to 300MHz anyway.

The Celeron 300a came out and destroyed all comers right after that.

tl;dr: There might be a few P5s that are faster than a PentiumPro in some 16bit programs, but those were a very few.