Anyone here actually a professional dev?

Anyone here actually a professional dev?

yes, what's up?

>cd
>cd..
>ls
>cd. /

i tried but getting hired is really hard if you're not a normie

Yes, startup dev work is interesting, and I would recommend working in a startup for a couple months to get a feel for it.

I want to get a normal job sooner rather than later though.

Is this a dude?

>if you're not a normie
So stay away from Sup Forums for a bit and try learning a thing or two from normies irl

8 years and counting

probably
kinda cute
a hole is a hole

What the hell is that? Obj-C in iTunes?

Define professional? Like 9-5 i'm just here so I don't get fined job?

Does it matter? I'd still fuck it
Don't care if it makes me gay

I'm a data engineer, which is fun.

obj-c in old version of xcode

Obj-C for sure.

Why would you want a normal job? Just work in startups and make your own after a few years of experience. Do you want to be a wagecuck or something?

lol
xcode has play and stop buttons
mactoddlers

Not him, but having a stable income for years without having to worry is really nice.

Do you actually have a degree in Engineering?
Or more like Dr Dre?

That's the trap of the comfort zone. If you're not willing to step out of your comfort zone and risk failing many times then you will be stuck in the position of a wage cuck for the rest of your life.

I have a BS in IT. Lots of my coworkers has a BS, Master's or PhD in CS/CIS/IT.

Not seeing the downsides, also not a "wage cuck" considering you're getting a salary, not a wage.

Straightforward and consistent income coupled with savings and 401k (or what have) contributions makes things pretty easy.

I am, work in C#

Do you really have no issues working for 1/10th of your worth under someone else's vision? I can't stand the thought of wasting my time working towards someone else's goals.

Yeah, I don't call myself an Engineer.
I'd feel slimy and dishonest.
I don't let people call me one either.
I've decided the people who do are just trying to stroke my ego.

If I feel I'm not getting paid what I'm worth I'll look for a job elsewhere instead of playing the lottery with a startup.

>under someone else's vision?
I pretty much set my own goals as far as what I'm supposed to do. Our team is six people and we don't receive any kind of direct instruction.

It's my title so I'm going to say it. There's no point in being weird about it. The terms developer/engineer are interchangeable in the tech industry. It'd be more concerning if you decided to use esoteric terms like "architect" and "devisor" or something stupid.

Well if that makes you happy it's not a problem. I rather take risks then stay in my comfort zone.

Hope this field is still popping. I'm back in college getting my second bachelor's, this time in CS because obviously my linguistics degree doesn't afford lucrative positions.

I also have a felony for possession of marijuana so am I pretty much stuck with start-ups? Totally separate question, what is the best first-job? I'm thinking "anything I can get", but would a start-up be preferable? Another separate question, is data mining / science really as profitable as the statistics say? I'm taking a class in it now and although I never even took precalculus these dudes are on my ass about linear algebra and probablity theory, when all I thought it was going to be is using some python library to look at how often homosexuals on twitter use the word "fleek" or something.

To each his own.

I personally hated living a shitty hourly wage getting paid jack shit to do shit anyone could do. Then while working there having so much difficulty finding a job it makes you wish you were dead. There's no way in hell I want to take any chances going back to that state.

Where I am now is great. I get paid well, work is fun, and I am not given direct instruction. We just set some goals for the team and we work at it.

The worst thing in my life right now is that there's no good places open 24/7 to eat and I'm always up late in the weekends.

haha the ENTROPOONEAR
cringeeeeeeee

iv been part of like 4 different startups now.
if they dont have funding, ITS COMPLETE SHIT.
i would never want to do it again.
never work for equity, EVER.
ever time iv tried it iv wanted to kill myself

Yeah, everyone's a ninja engineering rock star these days, aren't they... I should probably shoot for something new and with more testosterone... like Data Commando, Full Bird Software Colonel. After all, why stop at misappropriating degrees. We could do the stolen valor thing too. :D

i actually call myself an engineer.... or architect.... or whatever i feel like it on that day even tho my position is just a software developer.

My title is "Software Engineer". I write JQuery all day. Oh and I also probably make more than you. Mad?

you just need to act normal long enough to get hired and become valuable. Once they realize they can't fire you, you can let the autism flow.

Stay poor faggot

best way to overcome graduating without internships? Don't say side projects please

>rest of my life
I'll have enough to retire on after 10 years.

>JQuery
I thought it died 3 years ago

computer engineer here. I work on autopilot systems for things. I also don't browse Sup Forums but I saw this on the front page and decided to post.
cheerio.

>being paid shit wages somehow makes you not a wagecuck

lol

Me desu.

Im a junior dev.

My work consists of:
40% old as fuck Adobe Coldfusion (kill me)
20% Ruby on rails 2.x (this is okay)
20% PHP 5.x (this is okay as well, I don't get the hate for PHP desu)
20% a mix of SQL/Perl and also Javascript to support the above mentioned languages

We have a lot of apps written in various languages. I miss my IDE and statically typed Java/C# though. We have apps in those languages but I haven't been assigned to work on them yet. I don't think juniors get that stuff till they're more experienced.

Overall some of it is shit, some of it is good. But even when I get assigned something difficult as fuck to work with (basically the Coldfusion stuff) I think to myself "this is still 100x better than a fucking call center or any job working with customers" and I code away. Also the fact that there are multiple different things to work on keeps things somewhat fresh.

Oh also I worked 4 months in my life (at a call center, hated it) and got hired age 30. Im still 30. So im pretty lucky to have gotten hired to begin with.

Yeah. What do you need?

side projects please

Get some certification in your freetime

>soldier
>job essential
Politicians (Trump included) made it the most pointless job since WWII.

>The terms developer/engineer are interchangeable in the tech industry

Not in my parts of the world. An engineer is someone with an engineering degree. People actually call you out on this.

I'm hired as one but my education is in CS so I refer to myself as a developer, not "software engineer".

>Data Commando
Yes.

it's not just the tech industry, job titles are meaningless these days. you can find two people with the same job titles that do completely different things.

>ninja engineering rock star
>data commando
>full bird software colonel
You described people's titles on LinkedIn.

because you're the last jquery user on earth?

t. c++ dev

It should have

Yes. I work with PL/SQL and Oracle middleware (mainly OSB and ADF)

I'm a consultant. Work in SaaS, CaaS and IaaS.

It's ok, but some sysadmins are dumb as fuck and can't even put into words the changes they want made.

Yes and I hate dev. Hopefully someday I find a way out.

depends on how you define professional.
yes, I get money for writing code.
and no, I don't consider my code good

3d/webgl engineer here
I'm beginning to really hate Javascript. But we're switching to typescript soon

>join Consulting Group
>get free training and certs
>expenses outta the ass
>work for top tier companies around the country/world

why would you join a company in 2017?

Full stack dev / general IT guy at work here, there's a lot of cash in it (even if some of the thing I made are just hacked together using existing stuff) but I think I'll move on to something else in a few years time, not worth the stress especially when management steps in and the project scope goes from getting to the top of the hill to achieving faster than light travel with a shovel, a bucket and a gardener.

Do you have a degree?

How did you start?

You do realize that ~98% of startups fail without achieving any profitability? I mean, if you just want to be your own boss, it's fine, but if you're going into the startup game thinking you're going to end up rich, you're most likely deluding yourself.

did an apprenticeship as software dev but wasted 7 years at a hotline before jumping in the cold water to get a dev job with near-zero programming expirience. the apprenticeship was a joke.
Everything I know is either self-taught or stems from work of my predecessor

Join someone else's start-up and refuse equity - demand cash. Then move onto next startup when it sinks. Fun cycle imo.

Arts degree grad who manages a team of devs and consultants. I have no idea why I still have this job - but it is in government.

I already did that for a few years and after a while it just makes your resume look like a trail of sinking ships.

Your life must be miserable as fuck. PL/SQL is biggest shit I've worked with ever.

How short were the jumps? Mine are 2-3 years.

Used to be, now I'm head

Nah, i'm not even planning to be, im here for consumerism

I am, Python / IOS / Android dev here.

Some server utility shit.

Whats up?

statically typed languages are garbage desu

About the same, except that one case where an absolute shitstorm of drama and greed led to a seemingly ok company imploding within a year.

But it's not about the time, but rather the outcome, especially if you work in a city where the startup scene is not that huge and word gets around quick. Which is why I'm looking to go either full corporate drone or move into consulting. Some stability would be nice for a change.

Who is this cutie pie? don't care if gal or guy.

lots of greed and short sighted cash grabs in startups tbqh senpai.

Do you use Android Studio? That shit was awful when I used it for a few months.

I've been an Android dev for 5 years.

Sorta, I'm a Networking/Security/Penetration Tester/Developer, it's pretty great and also sense the first three are the main thing it allows me to learn a lot of dev stuff on the job without looking like a total jackass because it's not my primary focus. The scrum lead just slings me some development stories now and again in various languages along with the usual other stuff. Usually it's stuff that isn't part of the gigantic codebase of certain projects to so it's even better; ie: mostly one off, small, from scratch type stuff that other developers working on those huge things shouldn't be doing.

I am a junior developer in a company that makes ERP software using Delphi programming language. Tell me what bothers you my child

Yes

That's a pretty good shoop

Yeah open university "Q62 Computing & IT" Too dumb for computer science.

Why? I see it in code sometimes... some arse hole declares variables to set the sizes of popup boxes in strings... but the jquery dialog box requires a number. And nobody noticed this! Would never happen in a statically typed language.

Also they have far better IDE support. People say they are fine with a text editor, yeah theres a point in an applications size and complexity where an IDE with a statically typed language would have been better. Its easier for newcomers (like me) to get to grips with too. I could place a breakpoint and step through the code, inspect variables as I go.

>underrated poast
do you think it will ever die?

Yeah, make 82k with benies writing java.

Cmon man no need to get THAT desperate.

>my life is only worth 30k a year

Jesus, get it together soldiers.

To be fair, though, the armed forces is where people go when they're too dumb to make it in the real world.

Soldiers get a lot of benies and make more than 30k if deployed. 30k is for sitting around a base not at risk of death. Also they don't pay taxes, which is am extra 6 or 7 grand in your pocket. Still shit pay though at the end of the dau

kek wat? That shit is easy as hell.

I'm 25 years old and I want to get some sort of tech job. I went to college for about two years and eventually withdrew because college was really dumb. I was an English major so that probably didn't help. Anyway, I have a local community college that offers a lot of classes and certificates for tech stuff. Do you think it would be worth it to take one of those and possibly use the cc as a way to network and find jobs?

I graduated ten years ago and have been a NEET ever since. I just do hobby programming. How do I change this?

Suicide

Go to college/academia, get involved with some hackerspace (that isn't filled with sjws), do something for a non-profit/cause you believe in (and isn't NWO).

Consultants are still in a company.

I'm a PHP dev now explicitly because of this board

Pretty comfy desu

But I already went to college user. Where do I find a hackerspace or something? How will getting involved in a non-profit help me to not be a NEET?

non-profits still pay their employees. The term non profit just means that they make enough to cover all the costs, including paying employees, but give away the rest that would be considered "profits".

>frenchfag with an inferiority complex reading logs all day
not even once

Same user here ,
here are some example plans they offer. Are any of them promising in the future?

Professional C dev here.

HFT C++fag reporting