Why not use KDE?

Why not use KDE?

It's by far the greatest Linux Desktop Enviorment.
There's no contest. How can anything be compared to KDE in terms of polish, features, and the fact that it just FEELS LIKE A 2017 ENVIORMENT

No other linux DE feels modern. Just Use KDE.

Other urls found in this thread:

kde.org/plasma-desktop
kde.org
cdn.dribbble.com/users/5031/screenshots/3713646/attachments/832536/wallpaper_mikael_gustafsson.png
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

KDE may be the best DE user, but WMs > DEs

install i3-gaps

but DE includes its own WM. How can a subset of something be greater than its superset?

Pizza with shit on it is worse than pizza without shit.

I'll take your word for it.

What is that konsole theme?

i3+Xfce=greatness

Using KDE with openSUSE at the moment. I like that it has it's own infrastructure with a great file manager, text editor, etc. But some minor bugs are stopping me from calling it the best DE. For example, after some time my panel lost it's white color and became fully transparent (it's ok with other themes) for no reason whatsoever. Also there is something wrong with window focus because if I will switch between a text editor and Firefox my mouse wheel stops working. That being said, I had almost no crashes. Also, compared to GNOME it gives a lot less headache when using Wayland. And I also couldn't find a way to make video thumbnails work in GNOME (even after installing ffmpegthumbnailer, codecs, etc.) so while I use openSUSE and Wayland - I'm gonna use KDE.

KDE with mint here

sometimes shits gets broken & sometimes a simple restart fixes it

Overall still better than gnome specially if you're running QHD & under

I'd just like to interject for a moment.

What you're referring to as KDE, is in fact, KDE Plasma, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Plasma shell. KDE is not a desktop environment unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Plasma desktop made useful by the KDE Frameworks, Applications and Qt libraries comprising a full DE.

Many computer users run a version of the Plasma desktop every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Plasma which is widely used today is often called KDE, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Plasma desktop, developed by the KDE project.

There really is a KDE, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. KDE are the frameworks: the libraries in the system that provide UI and desktop functions to the other programs that you run. The framework is an essential part of a desktop environment, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete desktop environment. KDE Applications are normally used in combination with the Plasma desktop shell: the whole desktop environment is basically the Plasma shell that makes use of the KDE Frameworks. The so-called KDE desktop environment is really Plasma desktop shell.

Not as stable as Xfce. Although I like KDE's file manager much more, but it's other tools are shit when compared to Xfce and GNOME, except KolourPaint and KDE Connect.

I often hear this sentiment, but I don't think it will ever catch on.
A DE is just a WM with some tools.
A panel is incredible useful for small programs like network manager, getting info such as battery percentage, the time etc.
A launcher is incredible useful to go beyond hotkeys.
And if you have these things with a window manager, you have a DE.

Is it the most usable? yes

Is it stable though heck no. I have used it on several distros for a while this year and I can say with certainty that, while it's the best DE on Linux, it crashes like a worthless piece of garbage and for being so customizable, it doesn't give access to the user to an option to disable triple buffering as a graphical setting, which is what causes performance issues on AMD and Intel GPUs.

Because i3-wm exists.

buggy ugly bloat

it's a buggy piece of shit, looks ugly and there are less themes for it than gtk

I have a question why aren't your videos on desktop showing a thumbnail?

Not him, but by default only pictures are set to have thumbnails on the desktop
You can enable other formats like videos or txt in the settings

i3 is the best.

/thread

Because KDE manages to be more boated and buggy than explorer.exe.

>not using i3+plasma

>Why not use KDE?
bistros can't into it

Already do. Was using GNOME until I was sick and tired of 10fps animations just entering the applications menu.

that's pretty

Because I care about it working more than what it looks like

You got that backwards.

How so?

yea I know I'm also using KDE and I lov-*the whole system crashes*

the only 100% stable linux DE is Xfeces and that is only if you don't mess with it. Shilling for any other is shilling for a shitty experience that will make newbs switch back to whatever OS they came from.

IDIOT.

>FEELS LIKE A 2017 ENVIORMENT
All the more reason to stay as far away as possible, cuck.

Plasma is merely the "workspace". KDE is the collection of software which makes the desktop environment, Plasma included.

agreed

The desktop environment is called Plasma: kde.org/plasma-desktop
KDE is a community that makes software: kde.org

sauce on wallpaper?

True. Agreed OP. Loving KDE at the moment.

Cinnamon is way better.

Kde is okay, it just has shitty tools and apps.

KDE is buggy inconsistent amateur shit.

I'm trying the Ubuntu daily images now they switched to GNOME and they have polished it in to something to finally steal me back from Windows again after 5 years.

i3 sucks! It's fucking bloated as all hell, use DWM if you're on X.Org or Xenocara and use dwc or velox if you're on Wayland, don't use a Sucky bloated WM like i3

and Okular

lol, says the Ubuntu user.

DE and WM aren't mathematics you autist.

Do you think all people are better than the certain group of people that are your friends? keeping in mind that your friends are a subset of the population.

cdn.dribbble.com/users/5031/screenshots/3713646/attachments/832536/wallpaper_mikael_gustafsson.png

I agree, super comfy
Literally all it's missing is macos like trackpad gestures.
Love the lower memory usage and better battery life compared to gnome as well

KDE has a different dev cycle than something like gnome which had point releases.
It's still in heavy development. I think they made an LTE style release that you can get on KDE Neon though.
Give them a year or two to "finish" plasma 5 like they did with KDE 4 and it should be rock stable.
I don't have the screenshot anymore, but my mom's computer running slackware and KDE4 had an uptime of over 7 months before

I really, really like GNOME3:s super search function.

KDE has that too, and then some.
Think macos's quick search but even better, and faster

Spotlight search I mean

hits the nail on the head though. KDE 4 was finally stable and they fucked it up

KDE4 was pretty bloated.
Also it was made with a very 2005 style mentality.
Plasma 5 is not only more modern in the aproach it takes to a desktop OS, but it's also lighter and can still be as traditional as you want it to be.
Install slackware with KDE in a VM and use it for a bit to see what I mean.
Also try out the fork of KDE3, Trinity. It should compile easily on debian and I'm pretty sure it's in the AUR.

Same with KDE 3 when KDE 4 came out.

The KDE team taught me not to use bleeding edge software.

Sure, the design was bad, with all the glass and translucency. Plasma 5's design is just as bad, just following the current flat trend.

The only improvement upon KDE4 has been dumping Nepomuk for Baloo.

Honestly, look at the state of KMail. Just like GNOME's Evolution, why don't they fix that shit instead of gimping their "desktop experience"?

>Honestly, look at the state of KMail
What's wrong with Kmail?
It fetches email in the background, alerts you when there's new mail and lets you reply to it.
Nothing in KDE is gimped, especially compared to fucking gnome.

because i like openbox. its light and stable.

KMail is horribly unusable. It's been a while since I've used it so I can't be specific besides mentioning constant crashing, but have this screenshot. I remember that it used to crash the first time it ran, every time. On different machines.

Because GNOME is far better.

>KDE
>Baloo

Kill it with fire

>KDE 4 was finally stable and they fucked it up
They did the same with KDE 3. We waited years and it finally got stable and usable and then they are just like "LOL DONE, LETS START OVER" and then everyone is forced on to KDE "developers" wild ride because the perfectly fine stable version they refuse to work on and leave to rot with hundreds, even thousands of vulnerabilities to to things like web code in old qt versions.

As soon as KDE 5/Plasma is stable and finished they will leave that to rot too. I waited from 2007 until 2013 for KDE 4 to be usable and they just fucked me again and even though it got stable they removed the side snapping border of windows on outer edged of the screen and still left kmail2 as an unusable joke.

I moved to Windows 8.1 and have not touched Linux of KDE outside of a VM since and I don't plan touching either ever again.

It doesn't look like that anymore.
Email opens in the same window

Cinnamon doesn't break.

It's also an ugly fucking mess compared to... everything fucking else out there for reading mail. Kmail is pretty much a perfect display of KDE SC developers skill level.

I have a sex robot who fetches my files and accepts verbal bash commands.

>side snapping border of windows on outer edged of the screen and still left kmail2 as an unusable joke.
The fuck are you talking about?
The maintained version of KDE4 still has that

is there a way to decrease the huge padding around buttons?
the new version is pretty but it feels like it wastes so much space

Prove it then because I had it removed from my system and KDE5/Plasma in a VM is also missing it still (because they removed/changed it on purpose).

Snap Konsole to the right side of your screen and the application border on the right side disappears leaving the content against the screen edge with no padding. This happens for either side and any application and up until someone before 4.10 it would leave the application border when snapped. instead you have to move and resize things manually.

screenlet here
wasting space with gaps triggers me so much

Yep, just use a different theme
You don't even have to hunt them down like with gnome, there's a handy little "repo" in the themes menu that lets you choose and download them, with screenshots.
I don't have the time to install slackware in a VM for you, but you can do that on your own time. On the PC in my parent's place running KDE 4 snapping works just fine
This, i3-gapps is just retarded to me. Goes agains the whole purpose of a tilingwm
KDE4 is still maintained and you can use trinity for KDE3

Post your .Xresources to hastebin, please. Your terminal colour scheme looks comfy.

>KDE4 is still maintained

But Qt4 don't, making KDE4 obsoloete.

>I don't have the time to install slackware in a VM for you

How very convenient, make out that I'm a liar despite developers in KDE irc channel at the time telling me they removed it and wont be bringing it back... which it has not come back because it still acts as I describe in Plasma 5.

Anyone can easily test this, snap a windows to the side of the screen and now you snapped application only has 3 borders, the screen edge one missing, snap something to the other side and the same thing happens which leads to having no app border, TWO app borders in the middle where apps meet and no border at the final side. It'd fucking retarded and on my screen at the time and now causes a reflection at the edge.

The hundreds/thousands of bugs and security vulns in old qt4 and it's web code don't matter to idiots living in a fantasy land like is.

You seem like you have the time, download slackware, push next a few times on the installer and show us.

Idk, I'm fine with GNOME3, besides using some KDE applications, aut should I change?

Here's a new setup i'm going with. Plank is by far the best linux dock.

Thoughts?

I want to like Plasma but it's very hard. It's way less polished than Gnome in every single way.
The UI is a clusterfuck, both in Plasma as well as KDE applications. It doesn't work as well on a wide range of HW like Gnome (eg. my RX480 doesn't just werk like in Gnome). Wayland support is crap. They seem to be on the mercy of upstream Qt (eg. 5.8, what a shitshow).

Gnome might be a devilspawn of the cancerous Red Hat/freedesktop cabal but what can you do, it works. Atleast until it crashes because of JS extensions JUST fucking your shit up

I tried Plasma once but a it was bugged as hell, never ever

it doesn't break but it's shit, the file manager gives me aid

I was using kde3.
When debian moved kde4 to unstable, i pulled those packages and checked it.
It was unusable.
I kept kde3 until it was fazed out. Worked a bit with kd4 on the laptop and moved to gnome 2 because kde was unstable.
Afterwards, gnome3 appeared. Panels started changing, icons started disappearing, functionality too, settings manager got stripped, another settings editor appeared...
Then I switched to lxde, things were crap. I used gkt2 gkt3 qt4 qt5 applications....a whole mess.
I moved to xfce. I replaced the pathetic thunar with nemo, i used kwin instead of xfce4wm.
Years passed, kwin became crap.
Installed full kde. Over 5 years passed since the last attempt. Shit are unstable as hell. Only shiny bars and funky colours were the same. Most of old programs changed roles or disappeared, rekonq konqueror dolphin kmplayer e.t.c.. Still has a log of delay when doing things, from i7 4c8t laptops to even workstations with dual xeon precision. There is a shitload of deamons running on the background...the fear of nepomuk is constant.
After a week on the latest kde abomination, I switched back to my xfce desktop.
Works, does not lag, does not break, does not change, things are there, i am as efficient I can be, it integrates better foreign s/w, still knows that I am smarter than it so let's me do low level modifications, small mem footprint, not resource hogging, devs do not check the calendar to decide on the features, if it's 1984 or 1998 or 2017 the goal is to work.

Nemo?
Are you fucking kidding me?

Try it out for yourself.
GNOME forces a lot of things on you and expects you to adapt, KDE doesn't.
Also I hope you don't need status bar icons, gnome is completely scrapping those.

Which is hilarious because the old style was taken straight from mac OS9, while even sierra has no problem implementing them
KDE adapts to you, not the other way around.

you don't like latte-dock?
Plasma 5 uses like 800 mbs for me on fedora.
No clue what the fuck you're talking about.
Use MATE, since XFCE doesn't seem to be developed actively anymore

>I want a Mac.png

Xfce is still being developed, it's just that distros use the stable builds which are released once every 3 years. They'll release another stable build early next year.

As for MATE, it's just a more limited Xfce.

I've already tried and idk why, but it just buggy af. The menu bar on applications were missing, the loaded kinda slowy, some graphical bugs were there, etc.
Am I doing something wrong?

Yes, what distro are you using it on?
KDE has been my daily driver for over 6 months and the only bug I've been experiencing was fullscreening mpv would remove titlebars.
GNOME had a similar bug a year or so ago.

I've used it on arch and fedora.

Debian, btw how can I remove a DE without fucking my system? I'm a idiot for wanting to try other DEs.

kmail is horrible and maybe the worst part of the KDE desktop. I personally just use thunderbird.
That begin said, the rest of Plasma/kde is really nice

>Debian
You fucking idiot.
You're on an ancient version.
There's no easy DE removal with apt. It'll ask to remove half your system with it. Use fedora or install shit on a vm

Anyway to make the font on the clock not fuckhuge?

im surprised this thread triggered the fluxbox derivative faggots so hard

I'd use it at work, but I'm stuck with Windows since I'm too heavily reliant on Office

...this kinda looks better than OSX

and is more functionable
..for free

de's are for fags

Yes, right click it
macos is a little cleaner, as the cost of customizability.
Here's my mac partition, the only thing it has over kde is the trackpad gestures. Those are pretty god tier.
GNOME WISHES it could be as good as aqua though. It's a pathetic copy.
cringe

>this kinda looks better than OSX
It really doesn't

omg ru a hacker
don't hacc me pls

> try to install kde on my notebook
> brightness regulation doesnt work
> try advice from google
> reboot
> it doesnt even load
> install unity back

I know I did some shit but whats wrong with Debian?

it's not. Your desktop looks like garbage, but hey, different strokes for different folks, right?
Thing is, you don't really need a dock when you have a task manager on top and vice-versa. You just double the functionality and cluttering a desktop without adding any functionality.

docks suck ass
my opinion is fact

>it just has shitty tools and apps
>best file manager
>best default text editor
>one of the few free video editors worth a shit
>superb digital painting program

ha!
Sup Forums is literally overrun by cocksuckers from reddit nowdays
wew