Work environment

Any non NEETs here? How is your workplace arranged? Do you work in cubicles? Or is it an "open" environment? How do you deal with the noise, and if you use headphones, how do the boss and coworkers react to you being hard to communicate to?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D84P8O8
ikea.com/gb/en/products/chairs-stools-benches/office-chairs/nilserik-standing-support-white-vissle-grey-art-50309723/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Cubicles? They have those outside of call centers?

Our office is being renovated, we moved from small 4 people offices to open office, and I fucking hate it, so much noise, no real personal contact.
You can joke around with your coworkers if you know them, and that's easy with 4 people.
Even cubes would be better, but we are staying for like 2 month, so it would be waste of money.
I use headphones, but I am not hard to reach, I don't like loud music, it hurts my ears.

Also that pic looks extremely painful, it will damage their necks and back after a while

I work as a sysadmin at a local company. All our offices are open. Which means everyone can walk in together at any time. If it gets too noisy, it's no problem to use earpods.

team rooms of about 5 people. we choose how to set them up. they are quiet

Open office with 10 people. It can get too noisy to focus on complicated stuff, but I work at Sennheiser, so headphones are pretty normal.

>they are quiet
I'm jelly. I have to listen to degenerate radio music at work.

I worked in two call centers doing tech support, neither had cubicles. Open office, having to help the boomer next to me with the simplest problems, absolute rage. I'm in desktop support now, its a bit better, but a lot better than call center work.

it's no wonder the precision is as it is when you see most "work environments".

I freelance now, but while I worked at my previous job they made the transition from cubicles to an open space and it was pretty much bullshit.

People who wanted to focus on their work and wear headphones would get bitched at constantly for not being a team player. There was about 10 people in the space I was in at once, and most of the people spent time gossiping or one-upping each other on meaningless tech talk.

That being said I don't think they're inherently a bad thing, but it's obvious some places are pushing open environments after watching a few TEDx talks or reading LinkedIn blog posts.

Open plan, we all wear headphones though.
I still get people who insist on trying to catch my attention visually instead of pinging me over Skype, its bloody annoying.

they want open office so the employees control each other and all the time, so you don't even need a boss to do this anymore

thanks but no thanks

I've done open office and cubes and I prefer the open office setting. It's a lot quicker to talk to someone in person that to send them a message they'll look at and not answer due to distraction. Plus it's easier to call out coworkers when they are obviously not doing shit. That being said I've lucked out with the open offices in that my coworkers have mostly just stuck to their work as opposed to gossiping all day.

I have a big corner office, but the plebs work in a open environment with some optional cubicles for the spergs.

I actually pushed for the cubicle availability along with noise canceling headphones (sennheiser momentum 2's )

Being a massive Autist my self, I basically setup some very programatic interaction routines for my sperg brigade.

Mostly with reports, commits, time accumulation and a clear spect communication pipeline for all the normies who want to do "standups"

>Plus it's easier to call out coworkers when they are obviously not doing shit.
Why do you do this? Programmers should be building each other up, not tearing each other down.

When your coworker spends hours a day reading gaming news and you end up having to do all his work then there's no building upon anything.

programers have daily quotas / objectives, not minute to minute micro management.

This is a good way to kill productivity and simply encourage devs to get better at masking their goofing off

What the fuck is this monsterousity

ERGONOMIC

amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D84P8O8

>Daily quotas/objectives
That depends company to company. At the places I've been you get assigned a task, estimate how long it will take to finish, then work on it to finish it within that time frame. When you're forced to work with another person then you can run into situations where you're blocked on your feature because they are taking too long to finish their feature (usually because of goofing off). It's not minute to minute micromanaging when you ask your coworker how far along on their code they are when you are at a stage in your code that relies on their work being done.

This is horrible and depressing. No wonder most of the software is shit. You can't make anything good in such conditions even if you're a decent programmer.

The worst thing about being packed in like sardines in that manor is accidentally catching eye contact with people on the other side of the desk, its very distracting.

I'm tempted to put a bloody frosted divider up.

I used to work in a low-walled cubes office with everybody on the same floor (management was in offices). That means that my technical group shared a space with the finance guys. It sucked because we preferred uninterrupted focus for our work, and the finance guys would just barge into our cubes and usually bother us. Or they just shout at each other. I left after a year and a half to a competitor.

I've got a personal office with a door now. The analysts sit in low-wall cubicles outside my office and still shout etc. but my technical group is physically separated from them and other distractions. It's great and we all benefit from it.

our "office" is one huge open area because it's actually a space that's meant to be used as a warehouse repurposed for an office.

we just have lines of desk spread around the area. Aside from the lack of privacy, it's pretty nice actually because we have huge ceilings and windows.

>using an amp for the M50X
kek

no but seriously don't you have issues with low-volume imbalance because the volume pot is barely turned on

just plug it in directly

used to work in an open office with 15 people or so, was horrible. had the unfortunate seat right next to the door, while having helldesk share the same room with us. bought some nice akg headphones and i have been using them since. now i sit in a small room with 2 other people from my team, everyone wears headphones or listens to music, otherwise you'd hear the coffee machine, phones ringing, people annoying others down the hallways, etc.

my bosses are both really chill, they don't bother me with shit if it's not necessary, anyone else i ignore if they don't have an appointment. there are ticket system in place for babbysitting but some of those people still don't understand after so many years.

if you can't listen to music at work, quit. im serious, the worst thing is that you work with a shit ton of people in one room, cubicle or not, and it's just annoying and hard to focus to get shit done.

I work in an open environment and it isn't even remotely loud. Also I can go and entire day and say almost zero words if I want. Or I can do the opposite and have a chat about the latest Halt and Catch fire episode ornwhatever, whatever security CTFs the work-team competed in over the weekend, etc.

Open environments are way different then I'm sure you are imagining. It's very easy to get into your own zone.

This explains all the sennshit shilling as of the last few years

Oh yeah and still we do most talking outside if immediate neighbours through Google Hangouts/company web based Slack type chat.

The new building we are moving to does have a "bean bag chair" area which is getting some good lulz because we don't even have work laptops, hah.

Really though the atmosphere I work in is great and looks to be even better at the new building.

Its not an amp, its a DAC.
No issues with balance, I mostly bought it so I would have a physical volume dial handy.

Fresh out of reddit?

>le "muh redd!t spacing maymay"
Fuck off

Open space. Luckily everyone(almost) is OK so there's no stupid bullshit going on. Occasionally it gets noisy when people start talking to one another about random things but nothing headphones can't easily fix.

People don't particularly care what you do, if you're needed someone'll just message you or wave in your general direction etc.

But naturally there is that one fucking guy. For some reason he decided that having an acoustic guitar at work is OK so randomly I start hearing broken bits of "music". Fucking triggers me.

We have one desk in my area of the facility
3 hallways nurses station in the intersection
Not so much noise since our residents are pretty quiet
Can't use headphones, but once the management leaves in the evening, me and another aid use Bluetooth speakers to play some music while we work

We are 4 people in my office, the door can be closed if we want to.
I do use headphones to cancel out people talking, but I also take them off when I need to talk to people, someone waving or getting eye contact usually does it.

>Do you work in cubicles?

Those are illegal here.

> if you use headphones, how do the boss and coworkers react to you being hard to communicate to?

I am the boss.
And we all use headphones.

Also, if you need to make a phone call or hold a discussion you are encouraged to use the conference room.

how the fuck did you find a place that gives programmers offices?

>gets mad when called out for retarded spacing
Reddit, folks

>apple screen
>thinkpad keyboard
>dong mouse
what are you

i'm really interested in more pictures like this from various IT companies.
it would be refreshing to see what people who actually work use, as opposed to g neets

you read like a faggot

We have desks of three people on either side, so you get a group of six in a common area.

Where i sit is great because it's constant banter. Hate it when people listen to music and i cant talk to them desu

Forced to use Apple garbage at work, that's what.
I can at least swap out the unusable peripherals for something more comfortable.

I keep the shared spaces comfy too.

I have a normal cube with high walls now and I love it, open offices are the biggest meme of the 21st Century.

I previously worked at a company that had an open office that was in an industrial loft style building. While the office did look cool. It was hard to focus and phone calls were a nightmare because sound bounced off the wooden floors and brick walls. Beyond that you have people constantly moving around in your peripheral vision which also adds to the distraction.

I would've been cooler if you were tech agnostic 2bh "hat desk, tell me about that ikea chairs. Are they comfy

What is a Basic Byte

Have my own sound dampened edit bay

ikea.com/gb/en/products/chairs-stools-benches/office-chairs/nilserik-standing-support-white-vissle-grey-art-50309723/

So they're not actually stools, they're "standing supports", the base is dome shaped and they lean around while you are sat on them, the padding on the seat isn't very comfortable either.

I wouldn't recommend them.

Thanks. You can move the desk upwards in pic's setting tho?

can't

When a commodore 64 boots into its BASIC interpreter (when no ROM cartridge is inserted) the interpreter takes up a chunk of RAM, you are left up with about 38K of memory for your program to use.

When you load a program from tape or disk, the space used up by the interpreter is released and real software can use the majority of the 64k available.

16K of memory is still used by the VIC II chip to store the contents of the screen.

>most posters on Sup Forums are not NEETs

i truly hate all of you, why the fuck are you on my imageboard

Because its the only place where I can say what I actually feel without leftists throwing a shitfit.

They've already migrated here.

>20 bucks mouse
>2000 bucks mac

lel

And its still better than the Magic Mouse, I swear that thing was not designed to fit human hands.

Here, one can tell them to fuck off, when they throw another tantrum, though..

Software dev. Pretty spacious floor with a lot of individual and tem space. Divided by teams. Pretty great. Best company that i've been in so far.

>call them out for reddit spacing or other bullshit
>they get mad and act like they own the place

We have rooms for individual teams of 3-6 people. All rooms have doors.
It's quiet, so I use headphones when i want to listen some music rather than block out the noise.
Communication via slack most of the time.

noice bricks.
noice color palette
noice debian

shit imac though

got me

>Any non NEETs here?
Yes
>How is your workplace arranged? Do you work in cubicles? Or is it an "open" environment?
I work in an open office
>How do you deal with the noise, and if you use headphones
the real question is how do they deal with me, as I wear open-back headphones and listen to music all day
>how do the boss and coworkers react to you being hard to communicate to?
I am the only one working on a particular project at work, so I hardly have to talk anyone, which is a good thing as I am rather autismal at times

With a little luck, next week my work environment will be nothing but racks of encoders and decoders at a cable plant. Still waiting to hear back about the job. Said it would be 2 weeks before an answer.

>Any non NEETs here? How is your workplace arranged? Do you work in cubicles? Or is it an "open" environment?
Open office in "pods" of 6 separated by short walls. There's actually very little noise, even with people using mech keyboards (including me).

>how do the boss and coworkers react to you being hard to communicate to?
They give us ATH-M50x when you start, but I use those at home. I instead use open headphones at work if i want to listen to music, that way I can still listen to people. Though you can always send someone a chat message if you need to.

>all these "open space" cucks
>not having your own office

I have this ancient photo of my desk the second day I started if that interests you.

At my previous job i just sat in an office with another guy who worked in another department, he made lots of phonecalls a day and talk real loud so that was kind of distracting.
But that job was a shitshow anyway, so i was grateful for a little distraction.

Software Engineer. We still have cubicles.
We interviewed a guy a few weeks back and he was surprised to see cubicles and made the remark that everybody else is moving to open offices.

They aren't bad, honestly. You get your own space, place to hang stuff up (I keep a Kanban board up), and a little bit of privacy.

Yeah, there's nothing really wrong with cubicles, personally I'd like one. However, I don't have an issue with open offices either really. As long as I got my own desk and a nice chair I'm pretty much set.