/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
The LG V30 Dominates The Galaxy S8 In Low Light Photography [examples within]
forbes.com/sites/bensin/2017/09/02/the-lg-v30-stomps-all-over-the-galaxy-s8-in-low-light-photography/#a944c4a40bef

Nokia 8 will be sold at a lower price than the announced €600 in multiple markets
nokiamob.net/2017/09/03/nokia-8-costs-499-in-the-uk-delivery-by-13th-september-with-free-steel-smartwatch/

Kirin 970: Huawei leaps past Qualcomm and Samsung with its new super chip
androidpit.com/huawei-kirin-970-vs-qualcomm-samsung

Samsung Galaxy J7+ goes official with dual-camera setup, solid aluminum body
phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-J7-goes-official-with-dual-camera-setup-solid-aluminum-body_id97711

Moto Z2 Force "Real Review" - YouTube
youtu.be/hKk2Bhqx5Qo

Sony Xperia XZ1 hands-on review
gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz1_ifa_2017-review-1649.php

LG V30 hands-on review
gsmarena.com/lg_v30-review-1646.php

old

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/search.php3?
ebay.com/itm/222492108174
unlockradar.com/
doctorsim.com/us-en/unlock-phone/
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/lg-v30-hands-on-lgs-oled-displays-still-have-quality-issues/
s.aliexpress.com/jUFV7zYr
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.resilio.sync&hl=en
m.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_708210.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Best 4-5 inch smartphone up to 200 bucks?

Use the phone finder my negro:

gsmarena.com/search.php3?

Moto g5 3gb maybe.

i was retarded enough to buy a carrier locked phone from walmart the man told me my tmobile chip should work but it didnt, does anyone know how to unlock it the best and cheapest way possible.

buy and onld Xperia Compact phone

Have you tried returning it? If you explain that you were misled by an employee you'd probably have a shot.

>literally a perfect phone
>except for the fact that it's fucking BIG

hope xiaomi announces something good for its first Android One phone so I can get rid of this

i live 40 minutes away from the nearest walmart, i was thinking their was an easy method to do it i dont really wanna return it but if i have to i will.

Get one of these babies
ebay.com/itm/222492108174

Please respond I just wanna hear what you guys have to say about the s7/edge and how it treated you since you got one. I just want a good phone at a decent price.

Buy an unlock code, it will be around the same price of driving to walmart and back.

unlockradar.com/
doctorsim.com/us-en/unlock-phone/

I has Samsung S5 Neo
Good buy or good bye?

first, you dodged a bullet not ordering the Z2 Pro, trust me, it specs could be good but it's absolutely dreadful software wise, and the processor overheats like a bitch

just buy the regular S7 or S8, I don't like big phones and the edge gimmick is useless, it just produces glaring and its exclusive functions are trivial as fuck

I know I'm about the only one who cares, but was it ever tested by anyone if LG V30's display uses pure RGB or a different subpixel layout (I bet it's the latter, unfortunately, but still)? Weird that even the display tests didn't mention this so far.

>LG V30 hands on—LG’s OLED displays still have quality issues
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/lg-v30-hands-on-lgs-oled-displays-still-have-quality-issues/

Damn I was just about to post that.

Who the fuck came up with this retarded 18:9 screen with no bezels meme?

No stereo audio no care. Was so close to perfection

>make OLED screens for tvs
>cant make OLEDs for phones
get it together already LG

Help me out nerds, Im a phone idiot and need advice on how to use my shekels the best way possible. Im between a LG G6 and a OnePlus5.. any of you own one of those? what do you recommend?

My needs are pretty much basic:
alarm
whatsapp
clover
default music player
few pics here and there

split screen apps tho

Need a temporary budget phone for work/life. Something kinda fast, minimum 3gbs rams.

Looking at Nokia 6 and Honor 6x.

Any of you guys have experience w/ either of these??? What else should I look at??

thx

Honor 8

If you're looking for a budget phone, try one of the Redmis.

Thanks, I've heard about this and it's worrying in its own right, but this doesn't actually answer anything regarding the subpixel arrangement.

Incidentally, G6 H870U (bootloader-unlockable quad-dac EU version of the Plus) won't happen now that V30 is gonna be sold in Europe, will it?

>recommending chink shit that doesn't get US LTE bands

Does anyone here own the Mi Mix?

Would you buy it again if you could go back in time and why?

Really considering picking one up now that it's come down in price.

Where did say he lives in that particular country?
And looking at willmyphonework I can see that in the USA these would be able to use LTE at least partially, and with some carriers fully.

theres a few xiaomeme phones that use band 4

Give me hidden gem apps, lads

binaureal beats

[spoiler]Granblue Fantasy[/spoiler], in more ways than one

SD Maid.

I am interested in an /spg/ review of this phone as well. Thinking about picking this one up to putz around with LineageOS and if it gets bricked then oh well, still got my main phone.

Termux
AdAway
Server Push Notification (or an alternative)

>unlockradar.com/
both of those sites dont have family mobile on the list of carriers

but im not pushing you to do it, not being rude either just probably hard to impossible to find.

Is the G4 still good?
Bootloop issues aside. You can get that fixed, I got mine fixed last year and I haven't had any issues since. Just wanna know Sup Forums's thoughts on it.

Just call them and say the salesperson lied to you bla bla they'll unlock it for free.

yay or nay?

only at a very good price

It has an SD821 so I would wait for Black Friday if you have something like this in your country.

Yay, but wait for the price to drop even more when the V30 hits the shelves.

Depends on whether the features you want actually come in your region and your operator (where that applies, thank god where I live there are basically no operator phones).

I'm considering a G6, but I want a Quad DAC _and_ root, and there's literally no model of G6 out on the market right now combining the two (couldn't care less about wireless charging, even). The H870DS and H870DSU aren't rootable, and H870U just isn't coming out for some reason.

...but also agree with the others, it's an attractive brick if you can find it for well below 400$

whats going on in here?

>
>No stereo audio no care.
The DAC doesn't output stereo or are you talking about the phone speaker?

what file browser would you lads recommend?
currently using ES file explorer, but it's so bloated that I'm getting annoyed

I remember there being an app that let you benchmark all the browsers on your device and compare the scores (it ran like 5 tests), anyone know what app it is?

Yeah talking about external. DAC + audio jack is money tho

MK Explorer

>tfw your ~1 month old new phone's volume keys silver coating is already getting discolored and chipped off
What the hell man, I know this is prone to happen over time but not nearly this quick. I just checked it one day and they were already all chipped off for no reason whatsoever.
Although well, it's actually just the down volume key. I have no idea what caused it, it hasn't gone through any substantial amount of friction at all. My best theory is I have really sweaty hands, and when holding it at least one finger is touching the down volume key. I figured my sweat is very acidic or something. I cannot think of any other reason why it could've happened.

what phone

Moto G4 Play.

Well it's pretty much the cheapest new smartphone you can get, i'm not shocked at all.
If you expect your phone to survive every day wear and tear you need to get a flagship device.

Most likely the button is plastic with a metallic paint that your sweat has removed.

Threadly reminder about tiny dicks.

I was expecting a little more time before it started deteriorating is all, maybe a couple months at least, specially since I try to take care of my electronics as best I can. Should've mentioned the buttons are in fact plastic, yes. Maybe it wasn't clear enough from me saying it has a paint coating.
Funny thing is the silver plastic frame all along the borders is just fine, even right next to the discolored key.

gain verticality cucklet

Not that user but sell this game to me if you would. Does it have bond levels like in fate/Go or something of the like?

Thank you very much user. To you and all of the anons in this thread for answering all of my questions so far. (except jamal, give it back already)

Had the same thing happen to my Moto G3, but only a couple months ago. That's about a year and a half of use. The volume down button, power button and most of the volume up button were bare plastic. Was thinking of somehow dissolving the rest of it, because the plastic didn't look bad and actually felt good where it was completely dissolved. But I've cracked the screen on it, and just left it like that, now it functions as a low power linux server.

Try isopropyl alcohol if you want to dissolve the rest, I can try it on mine if you want to.

Can leaving the charger plugged to the mains (without a phone attached, obviously) at all times damage it?

What's the best phone for around 400? S7 or s7 active? Maybe a chinkphone? Sucks that the one plus 3t is still 500

No.

Nice.

What's the best budget phone I can get that uses a Nano SIM?

There are power supplies which have a "minimum current" you need to draw from them. But those are not your typical USB power supplies. They are are for high power devices, and typically have the minimum load written on them. USB chargers have to be designed to withstand not being connected to a load, because random chargers being fired to death is not good PR for anybody.

Why?
Just order an adapter for half a dollar.

s.aliexpress.com/jUFV7zYr

Mi6 is $400

Suddenly Android is not recognizing my pin.

The same pin I've used for years. What the fuck.

I'm on Oreo. Help?

Wow, such a clear post.
What PIN?
Simcard PIN? Lockscreen PIN? Encryption PIN?

What is the best way to check for complete functionality of a phone?

>galaxy S6 takes a dunk in the water, screen is kill but touch works, pc recognized
>get refurb phone that works for a year
>a week after I finish contract paying phone, get update that bootloops the phone
>verizon tells me to fuck off its dead

>walk out of verizon with dead s6 and new s8 on new contract I didnt really want to do but need phone
>replaced the bootlooped s6 motherboard with the board out of waterlogged phone and it works fine

I want to return the S8 and keep running the S6 till I get around to leaving Verizon, but returning the phone is going to cost a restocking fee

Im no phone repair man, so im not sure what damage I could have done to the motherboard fucking around with it. It seems to work fine but I dont want to move back to the S6 and it die immediately

Stress test it or something?

Lockscreen pin.

It literally stopped working out of nowhere.

I got a new phone two months ago. I accidentally got superglue in it.
I tried to get the glue out of the fucking plastic. I tried everything from rubbing alcohol to acetone. I finally decided to Polish off the glue with a dremel.
So now I have a phone with a small dent caused by the polishing disk.
What do I do Sup Forums?
I have a new phone thats blemished. Fuck me.

What's a good app to keep my documents in sync?
I'm getting real tired of manually moving my files everytime I switch devices. I'm using google photos for pictures, but every other type of file I still have just the one copy of, and stuck in whatever last device they were in.

>trying to get back to stock rom on my one m8
>accidentally locked bootloader with no twrp
>RUU wont work

This shit is bricked, right? I dont care about it but i was gonna give it away

Nokia 5 or Moto G5?

To G6 or not to G6?

They're almost the same spec-wise but the Moto G5 is a 1080p screen while the Nokia is 720p (and it's 0.2 inches bigger so its pixel density is almost half that of the Moto's), so if screen quality is important for you I'd say get the Moto. Also I don't know about Nokia but the Moto G5 has virtually stock Android

Thanks user, they both have virtually stock Android. I think the Nokia looks classier but of course looks don't mean shit.

Any alternative to xprivacy on stock Nougat? Not sure when xposed will ever come. Could use Lineage for my phone but it still has issues.

I have a Moto G5 myself and it looks and feels pretty good when you have it in your hands. But I do agree that this new batch of Nokia phones has really nice design

no problem Fatefag, one last advice
remember that the S7 edge and S8+ phones have larger batteries than its regular iterations
So if battery it's a must, buy those, maybe they're not as compact size wise but the bigger battery is a must for some people

Amaze. It was a recommendation from this thread and I liked it a lot.

Depends on what you want.

>buys cheap poo in the loo phone
>surprised at poor quality

That's alright, I'm more upset at the fact it happened so fast, not just because it happened.
Guess I'll leave it take its natural course now until it inevitably gets completely discolored.

What's the most performance-friendly launcher? Really all I want to do is remove the google searchbar from the homescreen since it won't let me hold and drag it to remove it

Pls respond.

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.resilio.sync&hl=en

Why don't you disable the Google app?

You jelly? You jelly?

Not really

Is that on 1 charge or are you cheating? Which phone?

It's the Redmi chinknote 4 running LOS and I have no reason or idea how to cheat.

I need two things:
Good camera
Good battery life.
What are my choices?

WHERE IS MY POWERFUL YET 100% FOSS SMARTPHONE

Is this shit any good?

m.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_708210.html

how good of a camera are we talking about here

> (You)
>how good of a camera are we talking about here
Enough to travel. I'm leaving my iPhone 6. Been thinking about a oneplus 3t.

oneplus 3t is a good choice. I would also recommend galaxy s7