/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

alpinelinux.org/)
github.com/sabotage-linux/sabotage)
neovim.io/charter/
trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/MP3
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora_Live_USB_creator
pendrivelinux.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Copying my chromium profile from my backup location(which i was running it on while i was restoring data) no longer works.It presents this error message.I checked for any lock files in the profile, and there are none.However if i point via command line to my backup profile, it works as expected.How do i restore my profile? There are no zombie or background chromium processes.

Failed to create a ProcessSinzgleton for your profile directory. This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.

its just linux

LOOOOOOOOL POST THE REST

reminder

First for:
busybox
musl c
llvm
clang
Alpine(alpinelinux.org/)
Sabotage(github.com/sabotage-linux/sabotage)

enjoy your slavery

I want to install Ganoo/Linux on my vacuum cleaner.

What distro sucks the most?

mint

Slavery?
You mean being free from cucked licenses and bloat?

if you're not free as in freedom, you wear chains.

kek good one m8.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Copyleft makes freedoms and source code inseparable. It's protection from getting cucked, while other, "permissive" licenses allow support cuckolding (companies taking free software, turning it into proprietary software and enslaving their users).

I'd say Copyleft is RMS' greatest hack.

I dont live in a communist ultimatum world.
I dont need any of stallmans commandments.

I live in the real world.

A real world, which is on it's way to 1984 without any memeing. You can prevent this by supporting free software.

>thinking you get a choice in communism

ok kid, i'll continue livin' the libre life.

>communist
wut

The 4 commandments are communist garbage.

>meanwhile (70+ years ago),
>in the soviet union (inb4 this is somehow not communist),
>Stalin would absolutely approve of something like the NSA's surveillance program in his dictatorship
>and Stalin wouldn't give a damn about open source, only state-appointed programmers would be allowed to work on the telescreen, dammit

>communism paranoia
burger spotted
get over it already

Do you even know what the 4 commandments are?

No, what do they say? "smash capitalism"?
I'm a brainlet, please explain.

>commandments
freedoms*

4 freedoms a user of free software should always have, if one of these freedoms is missing, the software is proprietary (software with doesn't respect the users freedoms, exposes commandments, restrictions, eulas, etc on them).

Rule 1.
You give up all rights to your code.The user is the only one who can choose what to do with your code
Rule 2
You give up the source code to the user and they can do what ever they want with your code.
Rule 3.
The user is free to change,alter, other wise modify your code and redistribute it as they see fit
Rule 4
User is free to change your code and then give it to other people,they can even charge people for your free code.

Your understanding of the four rules is categorically false. You don't give up anything, and no one is forcing you to do so either. Your code simply becomes something which anyone can view, can't do that with proprietary software. If you do your code exceptionally well, you are allowed to charge for it, if you see fit. That also means you can't stop anyone else from tweaking your code to make it better either. Stop being childish.

So basically using gpl means you as a developer give up all rights to your code.gpl is made for users not for developers.
It is communist at its core

>categorical false
Do you even know what the 4 rules are?

The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0).
The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).
The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

Yes, exactly that. My interpretation is spot on

stop using communism as a buzzword for shit you don't like. and yeah i do know what the fucking rules are otherwise i wouldn't have replied to your tard ass in the first place. You're not giving up shit, no one is forcing you into a contract that relinquishes your right to the code.

>Rule 1.
>You give up all rights to your code.The user is the only one who can choose what to do with your code
Wrong, you're free to make your code proprietary whenever you wish.
>Rule 2
>You give up the source code to the user and they can do what ever they want with your code.
See Rule 1. Also "they can do what ever they want with your code" isn't correct, too; they're not allowed to add any restrictions, the code stays free software.
>Rule 3.
>The user is free to change,alter, other wise modify your code and redistribute it as they see fit
"When I released GNU Emacs and people started using it, they started sending me improvements in the mail. So I would get a message with a bug fix, and a message with a new feature, and another bug fix, and another new feature, and another... and another... until they were pouring in on me so fast that just taking advantage of all of the help people were giving me was a big job. Microsoft doesn't have this problem."
-- Richard M. Stallman, "The Free Software Movement and the GNU/Linux Operating System"

>Rule 4
>User is free to change your code and then give it to other people,they can even charge people for your free code.
See Rule 1 (you really don't like code modifications?)

no your interpretation was false, they're not rules, they are freedoms.

But due to stallmanist like you, spreading your communist propaganda, people see someone not using gpl and they instantly dislike them and take measures against that person for not using gpl.

So i can use GPL and not follow those freedoms and stallman wont send the fsf on my ass, like they did cisco?
Didnt think so :^)

>that video
how will le gommunism paranoids ever recover?

>So basically using gpl means you as a developer give up all rights to your code.
Wrong. The developer has the copyright, do you know what copyright is?

Also learn to hit space already. Why are you cancering this thread every day? Don't you have better things to do?

no one takes any measures against anyone for not being under the gpl, however, if someone or some entity agreed to abide by it and then did not do so that is an entirely different matter. The freedoms aren't all inclusive and the license isn't perfect but it's a step in the right direction. If no one cared about software freedom, or took steps to ensure it i would shudder to think of how proprietary every thing would be.

bad thread

How do i unhide hidden files (.dotfiles) in Ranger?

pic related is my ~/
On my first arch dont be mean pls thnks

I'm currently using Debian, there's any better choice?

reminder

:set show_hidden true
or put set show_hidden true in ~/.config/ranger/rc.conf

>instantly gives up all sanity for some obsessive need over the amount of space on the internet
K.

>no one takes any measures against anyone for not being under the gpl,
I've seen shills all over this board threatening death threats and doxxing for people who dont use gpl,even listing projects and forming up hit squads looking for dox. ALL FOR THE NAME OF GPL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
>entirely different matter
But they are freedoms!!! You get to choose!!!!
>how proprietary every thing would be.
Tell me how thats stopped Microsoft or Apple.

from man ranger:
show_hidden [bool] ,
everything in are the keyboard shortcuts you can use

>The developer has the copyright, do you know what copyright is?
>GPL is a copyLEFT license
Score one for me friendo

anyone having trouble with proxies on the newest newsbeuter on the arch community repo?
if i remove the use proxy config, feeds refresh just fine, meanwhile on my ubungu machine, proxies are just werking fine.
from what i see arch has 2.9-7, meanwhile ubungu has 2.9-3

>I've seen shills....
Yeah and I'm the King of Siam

Just because you are afforded the freedoms doesn't mean that you can trample upon the liscense, if you try and take stuff that's already accounted for and use it propreitarily, but not the proper way than you deserve whatever comes your way. MS and Apple are only in the current state they are in because of how apathetic and naive people were in relation to proprietary software when computing was still new and fresh. I reiterate, if no one gave a damn about freedom it'd be much worse.

>much worse.
And yet proproitary software STILL EXIST.
If it was such an EVIL peice of BRANWASH why does free software,open source exist?

You act as if no one else would have thought of having a free license then stallman.That out of 7 billion people on this planet, only one person would have thought about it.
Its just the same as there being other options for linus to pick when he was looking for a userland, There were other options, gnu wasent even his first pick.

Stallman is a false idol to you freetards and thats what your biggest weakness and why no one ever takes you seriously.

Meanwhile Microsoft and Apple go on their way with no worry about free software.It means nothing to them. Its insignificant :)

I only used Kubuntu and Debian in my life. They use Solaris in my upcoming job. IS there anything special I should know about it compared to the previous two? I'm not an expert but I had a comfortable user experience on the them.

dev1

no I don't act like Stallman is my idol, you're whining about the GPL and I'm telling you it's not that bad. Yeah, Stallman isn't the only person to think about software freedom, but it's awfully funny that he's had some of the most influence in that realm. Linus had a choice, and he made it, if he had picked another userland and the creator of that userland created rules about software freedom i'd be espousing those virtues as well. MS and Apple do what they do because they have fuck you money, they don't give a shit, and that is because when they came to prominence no one really gave a fuck about software freedom. Stallman popularized the topic, for better or worse.

use the nonfree iso

To add, this is debian 9, and the previous release worked out of the box, so I have no idea how to configure the drivers manually. Someone help!

Gentoo, Devuan, whatever floats your boat.

So I've just installed Arch for fun but I don't have internet access. I could use the wifi-menu during the installation but not after. Somebody help me out please

>it's not that bad
It is 100% bad for the developer, and 100% advantageous for the user.
The user gets all these rights and the developer has to be a nice cuck and sit back and let the user have fun. New developers are led to believe that gpl is the be all end all license and blindly apply it to their work, only to come and find out they just signed away all of their rights to their code to the user base. Advertising gpl as the best be all end all license is misleading and damaging.

you should have installed wifi-menu during the install
Boot the live use chroot and then install the needed tools

either chroot and install dialog or use wpa_supplicant to connect and install dialog (or keep usong wpa_supplicant)

completely glossed over that, will try thanks

Thanks a lot anons, I'm gonna do that!

Which is the most compatible + stable distro in your opinion?

arch

Arch Linux

Gentoo

I tried Solus today. It was nice.

mein ;^)

>Meanwhile Microsoft and Apple go on their way with no worry about free software.It means nothing to them. Its insignificant :)

>ms tried to stop free software and failed

>apple is literately part bsd

What is the difference between vim and neovim?

neovim.io/charter/

Is there a CLI program that converts audio files to other audio file extensions? eg flac to mp3

ffmpeg -i flac.flac. mp3.mp3

trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/MP3

So (nice quads) is basically correct, but of course, you might prefer to specify the quality. From just testing on my machine, the default flac to mp3 encoding from ffmpeg has 128kB CBR, which might not be good enough for you.

ffmpeg -i "input.flac" -q:a 0 "output.mp3"

That will give you V0 encoding (and replacing the 0 with, for instance, 2 will give you V2 encoding, and so on and so forth). You can also do "-b:a 320k" for 320kB CBR.

So, for instance, if you had a directory of .flac files you wanted to convert to 192kB CBR mp3 files, you could simply do:

for i in *.flac; do ffmpeg -i "$i" -b:a 192k "${i%.flac}".mp3; done

>doesn't know how licenses work
>argues, thinks he's right
if it helps you sleep at night

>warming up the poo discussion
You failed already by posting. He's not interested to learn, he's interested to troll and as long as you guys reply, he has the power to kill this thread like he already did some weeks ago.

Learn not to feed the trolls.

I'm here to spread the word against copyleft licenses. The same way you vapid gpl'ers do it.

if you don't like the gpl for what it is, fine, but stop spreading false information, ty

Should I join a local GNU/Linux user group despite not being knowledgeable about GNU/Linux? All I've done is followed instructions on installing Arch and then riced it.

If you want, do it. There are tricks only an experienced user can show you and it's fun to have people around you with the same interests.

Its not false information.
Its the truth

shit, i've meant to do this after going to my first loonix expo.
that was 2 years ago, still too lazy to go to one, or the hackerspace

I'm trying to get a fully usable Linux USB going, so I can boot from that and save work, configs, and installed packages. I went to just install Debian to a USB, but that's slow and writes to the USB whenever it wants. Others like Porteus and Slitaz don't take debs and are weird. Is there an Ubuntu based USB distro? Is it just Puppy?

Or do you guys just sperge about Stallman all day in here?

>unironically associating yourself with family guy

How are you fucking posting, then? Clearly you have internet access somehow. Just read the fucking manual, you worthless piece of shit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora_Live_USB_creator
Has that functionality.

See also:
pendrivelinux.com/

Are there any distros for tablets?

Has anyone had any luck installing Synergy on Raspbian? Using any version before 1.9 leads to compilation errors during the building process, and version 1.9 can't execute cmake properly.

Why not just use Lubuntu?

function flactoV0 {
for file in *.flac; do
ffmpeg -i "$file" -q:a 0 -threads 0 "${file/.flac/.mp3}";
done;
folder=$(basename "$(pwd)");
folder="$folder - V0/" && mkdir "$folder" && mv *.mp3 "$folder";
for entry in *; do
ext="${entry##*.}"
if [ "$ext" != "flac" ] && [ "$entry/" != "$folder" ]; then
cp -r "$entry" "$folder";
fi
done;
}

whats the best program to screenshot with on linux?

For the last time, what you're looking for is a DE/WM, not a distro. Very little of what the distro in itself does affects the user experience at that level.

I had a tablet with Ubuntu's Unity on it, and I found that it worked pretty well. I could even toggle a setting to bring up an on-screen keyboard, and the unity bar was just perfect. I wouldn't really know what would work now that Unity's guess, but I would imagine GNOME works pretty well, since they're comparable in many respects. Otherwise, Enlightenment.

Scrot. Jesus, dude, it's not that complicated. What the hell do you even want from a screenshot program that you would care so much about choosing the right one?

no dice, and i have a typical broadcom chip.
what are my options?

i tried scrot and gnome screenshot, scrot outputs black and does not let me upload t Sup Forums, while gnome takes a normal screenshot but i still cant upload

Can anybody convince me to learn bash scripting? I learnt to integrate commands, autostarts etc into the terminal initialisation but that's it until now. For what else should I learn it? Is it just a waste of time?

I made a bash script for BYOND because it needs to run under WINE and I didn't want to keep typing in the prefix every time. If you're a lazy man keep at it, it saves work in the long run.

Thanks. I'll look into. Do they do things like booting to ram and avoiding writing to the USB all the time, though? Porteus shows a menu on boot where you can choose if you want persistence or to run it ram, which is neat.

The problem's not size or resources, but having persistence and being optimised for running from a USB. Lubuntu is pretty much what I what, but I'm too lazy to work out those optimisations myself.

Probably xfce4-screenshooter, unless you're a terminal spazz, but then you've got nothing worth capturing.

I never said I would be lazy. If you say it safes time/work in the long run, that would be a argument. And I am looking for arguments to learn it. I just wanna make sure that it actually safes time in the long run.

Most live mediums do that.

And Puppy isn't Ubuntu based. And there are a bunch of Ubuntu live mediums available for download. And the reason Porteus doesn't "take debs" is because they're built from Slackware. And Slitaz actually is compatible with Debian binaries. And, while Slitaz doesn't offer persistence by default, that functionality can be added.

And you would know all this if you did even the remotest amount of research, you lazy fuck.

Gee, could you be a little less specific? Or else someone might be able to actually troubleshoot your problem.

think of terminal operations you do a lot. consider how much time automating them would save. go from there.