/TPG/ THINKPAD GENERAL RENAISSANCE EDITION

Previous thread:
IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. GETACs, Toughbooks).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice?

thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN Panasonic Toughbooks, pre-Lelnovo Thinkpad P, T, X, and W SERIES, and GETAC if you want the Real Business Experience.

>Recommended models:
T60, X60

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

>Helpful link

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WwCS0trIo4w
amazon.de/Lenovo-ThinkPad-2447-A12-Zertifiziert-Generalüberholt/dp/B07414SQ11/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504499359&sr=8-1&keywords=W530
amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Thinkpad-14-Inch-Notebook-Black/dp/B07253HMXC/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1504507493&sr=1-3&keywords=thinkpad -refurbished
ebay.com/itm/nigger/401102839119
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

thoughts on the x62?

2nd for SimCity

Simcity is god tier.

First for X40 master race!
>no hardware backdoor
>super efficient processor
>best keyboard
>near-retina screen
>10+ hour battery life with wireless, 14 hours with it turned off (with new chink battery)
>no homosex trackpad
>no need to install transexual boot shit
>gigabit ethernet
>tiny and sexy
>proper aspect ratio
>internal roll cage to protect drive (no screen / lid cage but IDGAF)
>actual IBM logo
>no built in camera or mic, stymies CIA niggers
>only $30 or so
>cute docking station and extended battery available
>*yellow* thinklight to preserve night vision
Why don't you own the finest laptop ever made?

Photogenic weekend pic included.

SimCity 3000 is still my favorite, but the original is special in its own way, no other game "feels" like it

youtube.com/watch?v=WwCS0trIo4w I prefer the sequel

Does the x230 have drainage holes? What about the x240 and above?

>That screen ratio
Yuck

What are you gonna put your sticker on, /tpg/?
Are you worried that someone might recognize you as the Sup Forums browsing goblin that you are?

Cool but for a niche market and the concept of a modern 4:3 laptop with mid 2000's business design is not going to come back. Its great that someone is bothering to do it all for the few people who truly want one though.

Millennial newfag detected.

Please leave forever

Post pic of stickers?

Damn, that's a cute round white ball of fluff. You got anymore?

Help please m8s

My Thinkpad doesn't go into sleep mode after closing the lid regardless of the OS. Thought the PCB with the camera and microphone above the screen had something to do with it so i did some tests and noticed that the camera does while the microphone does not. How is this possible if both use the same cable? is that pcb even related to my issue? Any suggestions?

power management settings?
try that

Already tried on Windows and also booting Linux, as i said it happens regardless of the OS.

It does the same thing if i turn it on while docked and with the lid closed, the screen turns on and everything.

go into bios maybe? I dont know if your model controls your screen that way.

I'm sure it's hardware related because it used to work fine and i never touched the BIOS.

What I'm confused about is why the camera works but the microphone (and probably the lid sensor if it's there) doesn't since they share the same cable. And no, the mic isn't disabled in the OS or the BIOS.

Fuck yeah, new thread! Quick question: my brother's going to be doing some work with Source Filmmaker (I'll have to check Wine compatibility, otherwise RIP the Linux dream) and an user helped me narrow it down to an X240 for him. Anything better under $350?

This will all work together right? (I already made sure the battery will work)

Can't you find a cheaper battery?

w530 if you want a GPU. Can find one with a k2000m

Pls responde.

Welp, the deep dive into my Thinkpads has begun. Just bought 2 SSDs and 2 msata drives today.... That $448 better be worth it...

wait a fucking minute, how did you get that an x230 with that keyboard? Did you switch it out or did you get a x230 screen???

x230 $200
i5 / 8gb ram / 32gb ssd / ips display / 9 cell battery

How did I do for my first Thinkpad?

dude
you can swap out for old keyboards on the tx30 series
its crazy

I knew you could for the non tablet versions but I had never heard anyone report back about the tablet x230. I have a fetish for the tablet versions... I have an x200t and x220t. I want more but honestly I don't need more. I have a W520 on the way right now

X230 does have drainage holes

You might also be able to get a refurbed t430/440 with a gpu, but they are somewhat more rare than the integrated graphics versions (in bongland at least)

I think your screen position sensor is bad. I'm not sure if it's on the camera/thinklight PCB but it is in that area, I think.

There should also be a strange magnet in the left side of the palm rest I think. That's what the magnet is for.

The magnet could be missing or moved.

amazon.de/Lenovo-ThinkPad-2447-A12-Zertifiziert-Generalüberholt/dp/B07414SQ11/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504499359&sr=8-1&keywords=W530

Is this worth it?
I trying to find a laptop for my normie sister, who fucked her previous one up.
She wants it for college and playing the sims.

I mean you should have seen the previous one, her boyfriend """fixed""" the screen by putting screws in it. I dont know how that fucking retard gor so lucky and diddnt damage any chips with the drill he used.

I'm in the same situation.

>normie sisters first laptop dies after she manages to melt the plastic vent covers over the CPU fan exhaust.

>normie sisters second laptop dies after repeated and violent abuse. Unlike minorities, beating it won't make it work faster.

So, currently have a t430 on its way. I'd guess that battery life is important for college, so maybe go for a tn / non ips or whatever the current screen equivalent is. Also, just look up the minimum requirements for whatever sims game it is and go from there.

Know that it will break eventually, but you will be safe in the knowledge that the thinkpad died a warriors death.

I really dont want to buy used because I will hear it from my sister if she finds out.

Should I continue with a thinkpad or something else?Can you give me some general advice I dont have a clue about thinkpads, I only lurked here for 30 minutes and then went to amazon.

Also I got to give it to my sister, I would have thrown that piece of shit laptop out of the window ages ago, it was restarting on its own (propably from all the dust and hair) once every 4-5 hours and she still kept it for a year.

Ok faggots, got myself a t420 with an i5.

what is the best processor I can put into this thing?

You might be able to sway her opinion a little if you tell her how much it was worth new. If you have to go for something new,

otherwise, take a look at amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Thinkpad-14-Inch-Notebook-Black/dp/B07253HMXC/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1504507493&sr=1-3&keywords=thinkpad -refurbished

from what I can tell from the one you posted, it is cheaper, trades the HDD for an SSD but it has no dedicated graphics, so you would have to check what the requirements are for running the sims.

Not a mint condition 9 cell one
If you upgrade it to an i7 prepare for 95+ c idle temps

Fuck, now I can't decide between one of these of a T420. Which one is honestly my best choice (using it for college)?

Get a new Chinese battery user.

>get a new housefire
Show me a chink offbrand battery that can get me 7+ hrs on a t420

T420 or better. X40 is for enthusiasts to collect, not to use daily.

Literally all of them that don't cost $5 shipped
anything that's roughly the same size should get the same battery life
Shit I've had Chinese batteries that are slightly bigger and get me even better battery life.
I've got a t40 and outside of typing things into note pad (doubt it could run a modern version of word) it's god awfully slow.
anything dualcore will be fine, but not worth the upgrade
quadcores will work, but you better not even think about stressing the cpu and gpu at the same time unless you want to burn your house down.

Is there any aftermarket solution for heating? I got one with the nvidia gpu hoping to play light TF2/doom mods when my studies are light yet im away from home.

a cpu upgrade won't help with games
you are by far limited by your gpu.
only way to get better performance is through an egpu, or by getting a new laptop entirely.

Eh, thats were you are wrong with the source engine(TF2), still I just mostly wanted to best cpu for the thing because of modern programs being bloated(that and I like fucking around with my hardware).

I decided on a i7-3540M. Dual core and draws as much power as my current cpu.

Fug, tried with a speaker magnet on the pcb area and on the palmrest to no avail, maybe the magnet was too powerful? i don't know what else to do.

I would advise against this.
The individual batteries within the cheap laptop batteries start to fail and you can't easily tell which ones use lower quality internal batteries.
I've seen some 25 Eur batteries that had help only 40% of designed after a year.

ivy bridge wont work in *20 series thinkpads
and trust me that piss ant gpu is what's holding you back
even with the new fucked up source engine going from a t420 to a t430 makes a huge difference and the only real upgrade there is the gpu.

Ive heard some good things about greencell

Where to buy? I remember the guy posting about these before had the name AI, so I checked Patch Dynamics but there wasn't anything there.

Is it possible to do T420 weight mod?
Like remove some heavy shit from inside?

no the magnet is in the palm rest, the sensor is in the screen lid

>>only $30 or so
yeah I wish it was like this in Germoney. I saw one go for 130€ on ebay yesterday

>implying I ever leave home

I am from Croatia, we buy shit from Germany and then pay another 15€ for shipping

He's gonna sell them on patchdynamics next Thursday 6PM EST as far as I know. There are only limited numbers so you gotta be fast.

I just bought a W530. Unfortunately getting Linux working with Nvidia Optimus is really difficult and not fully supported. So it's going to run Windows 10 for a while.

Is waiting for the T480 or Retro worth it or should I just blow on a T470 now?

Who else enjoys running their finger around the soft rim trackpoint?

>tfw you run your finger around the soft rim

You should wait; it won't be long now.

P-pls respond

He said the 7th, so this thursday.

"This Thursday" would mean that today is Thursday. The 7th is the next Thursday to come.

No???

I found a T40 with this CardBus WiFi card. There seems to be drivers for Windows but I can't get it to work in Linux for the life of me. It lights up orange but clearly is not working. Does anyone have a clue what drivers I might need to get it to work?

Any chance of the Retro coming with a dedicated gpu?

Retro is most likely going to be a T470 with the old keyboard and a fancy logo so use your noggin

open it up and see if there's shit to remove

got a list of distros that work perfectly with x60? so far only deb and void work imo

Gonna get an X61t with 2GB RAM this week. Can't find any info on how many RAM sockets it has. Is it only one or does it have two?

Slackware is great for it.

It has two sockets and can use up to 8GB DDR2

Okay yeah I did
I was using them but I uninstalled them for a reason? I should reinstall them again

They all use the same keyboard assembly so yeah go nuts

T470 can come dedicated gpu where I live at least

>two sockets
thanks mate. I guess I'm gonna use a 64bit system then.

Yes And no lmaonovo dropped them on the newer models for some really good reason
They instead decided they knew better than IBM and said "I'll make the keyboard more water resistant so less water leaks in" although it was a retarded idea that

Oh, you should look up compatible RAM and stuff because I think Lenovo says only up to 4GB but you can use 8GB anyway.

If I can only manage to get 4GB working it's fine. I'm not gonna do extensive multi tasking. This thing will be more like a toy. I got it dirt cheap for European standards and I'm not gonna put too much time and effort into optimizing it.

>W530
>for sims
My dude
What?
You do realize the system requirements for sims 3 is a pentium 4, 2 GB of ram and a 128 gpu
Just a get a T420 or X220

I enjoy your presence my dude

>want to upgrade x230 ram, buy a new keyboard and battery
>sick of putting money into this because i hate its screen

reeeeee. too bad I'm too stupid to do that 1080p mod, what a great machine otherwise.

>8 GB of ddr2 sodimm
>in a two slot machine
??????????????

Lenovo says 4 because it is 4 you idiot
There are no 4gb sticks of ddr2
They only come at 2 max

Kingston actually sells 4GB DDR2 SO-DIMM sticks

Okay then my bad

I think they haven't shipped those in years though and they were insanely expensive. I think I'm gonna roll with 2x2GB. That's more than enough for an X61t anyways.

I've also never heard of 4gb ddr2 sticks too so I was a bit shocked myself

Ignore me I'm a fag

Obviously uncommon and honestly, I probably wouldn't want these in my computer. 4GB is extremely big for DDR2 and I don't think they're very reliable.

That's way too expensive anyways. I can get 2x2GB for like 30€. 8GB for at least $140 is just insane.

Should I get this for alienware mod?
ebay.com/itm/nigger/401102839119
it's cheapest one on ebay for EU delivery, but it's probably fake

hows arch on x60?

Keyword: PRIME

Is there a difference between x40 and x60 keyboard?

The overall feel of the keyboard differs from generation to generation, and even within the same generation because the keyboards were made by up to 3 different manufacturers. It's hard to pinpoint what exactly the differences are though.

Dunno if you can help here but I'm confused with a refurbished laptop I'm buying. It's some older Latitude with a first gen i5. The guy said the battery is missing but he already planned to put in a new one. It's currently at 2GB RAM, Win7 Pro and I'm planning to use it for stuff like PSP emulation. Translated into CZK is 4000.
Is it a good buy? The guys also had some T420s but they said they were all fucked.

Imo not worth more than 150 USD with no battery

Wait, I got it now, it's a Latitude E6410.

7 year old hardware
If it caught fire how much are you willing to lose