Switching to Linux

Please convince me to switch to Linux. I'm starting to get really sick of Windows, but I keep from switching to Linux over small things. For example, I like being able to just install programs on Windows with just a couple clicks.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YAtS6XEwyQY
download.we.wuz.kangs/wheezy/snapshots/1.2.3
gnu.org/philosophy/proprietary.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>I like being able to just install programs on Windows with just a couple clicks.
youtube.com/watch?v=YAtS6XEwyQY

How hard it is to type 'sudo apt install %%'? Or ok, you download .deb package, you click on it, you click install, that's all. 2 clicks installation in Windows is bullshit.

btw if you have laptop with nvidia gpu in it and you still complain about 'muh two clicks install', don't switch. You will get wrong impression.

>Please convince me to switch to Linux
No, please stay on windows.

You being afraid to learn new things is going to keep you from experiencing a lot in life
>install things in just a few clicks
yeah, see if you learned new things you'd realize linux can do the same thing

Well now you've got me convinced. What distro would you recommend?

xubuntu.
/thread

mint or ubuntu

Writing 4 words in a terminal window takes less time and effort then going to a website, downloading an installer, running it, and clicking through all the steps. If that's your only argument, boot up a liveusb or VM and see for yourself. Some derivative of Ubuntu is fine for starters.

>two clicks
ctrl alt t
sudo apt-get install niggers
password
y

how many clicks was that

anything with gnome

>I like to install programs with a couple of clicks
It is significantly easier to install things on Linux.
You don't even need to go through a couple of fishy websites to find some exe..

You can just type a few lines in the terminal to install it, without unnecessary bloatware.

W: Conflicting distribution: download.we.wuz.kangs/wheezy/snapshots/1.2.3 Release (expected wheezy/snapshots but got wheezy)

you're supposed to use watermelon linux, if you want to download from the we.wuz domain

> install winblows
> we r seting tings up for you :):):)
> oops you had problem
> show pusi and bobs to activete
> have to install ccleaner because windows rot and tempfiles and logs slowing down your pc over time
> have to google
> wait a second im on crappy edge/IE
> have to install god tier mozilla
> google mozilla
> go to webpage
> download
> installer
> next next next finish
> you google ccleaner
> download
> next
> would you like to install norton bloatAV???
> untick and opt out
> next
> would you liek bing as default search engine?
> untick next
done

In linux
> sudo apt install firefox bleachbit -y
> password
done

Xfce is lxde with useless file manager and takes 400 MB additional ram for showing icons. It's trash

windows fag here
can you elaborate on this?
is it like getting python libraries with pip?
im confused as to what the source is for this
pls no bully

>want to install firefox (it comes default in most distros, but whatever)
>using ubuntu
>open terminal
>type sudo apt-get install firefox
>press enter when it asks if you want to install it
>installs firefox and only firefox and what's necessary to run it

okay but like is there some bank of keywords for installers to grab from out of thin air?
like what if i wanted to install something niche like SLAM or some shit

Install gentoo

search using apt-cache search projectname
if it's not found, you can look around online for it, and if it has a linux version you can download that. Ubuntu allows for clicking to install as well. chances are if it's an open source project (which my quick searching of SLAM seems to show) it has a linux version

Why Gentoo?

>convince
Fucking stop this, and man up you fucking cuck.

Get rid of the botnet right now. Download debian, throw it on a live medium, and burn windows to the ground.

it's too complex for you, don't bother. I'm not saying that to be rude, but you'd be in WAY over your head
>but i want the full linux experience
no, you don't you think you do, but you don't. you'll likely quit and bitch that linux is too hard, why would anyone use it, it's never going to be popular, etc etc.

you'd open the package manager and search for the thing you want if the terminal didn't work

if it's not in any of your repos you'd go online and search for it the way you would with windows, except there's no .exe's to download so if there isn't a repository you'll have to jump through all kinds of shitty hoops trying to figure out how to unpack it and install it, which often involves editing like five or six different config files and basically if you don't have a walkthrough to follow step by step or you haven't lived and breathed linux for a decade and already know what to do, you're just fucked

As soon as you have to leave the promised land of linux repos, linux fucking SUCKS at installing things.

any obscure software that i've needed that has a linux vesion has a double click to install for ubuntu 99/100 times. why are you so assblasted and spreading old info?

Dont worry, I totally understand. I used to want the "full Linux experience", tried using Arch Linux as my first distro, and quit after hours of just not understanding.

>I like being able to just install programs on Windows with just a couple clicks.
Well on linux you can just type: sudo apt-get install [package_name]. My university friends were amazed as they followed the 2 page guide on how to properly install MySQL on windows while I typed 1 line and waited 30 seconds.

Also Ubuntu has a software app store type thing where can you also search and then press install

While I was using ubuntu, I only had to deal with ~3 external repos which worked flawlessly (chrome, intel, and tlp). Only thing I ever compiled in my life was Vim, because I needed clipboard support, and it was easy as 3 commands and one help page of configuration options.

you're a reasonable man, user. I appreciate that. *buntu (xubuntu, lubuntu, kubuntu, ubuntu), or mint are solid 'jest werks' choices. i've been using ubuntu on my laptop for years, since version 10, and i've had very very few issues with it

Allow yourself to fall into the darkest depths of paranoia. Then using anything other than Linux will seem retarded.

but i'm not super paranoid and linux works great for me.why must someone be paranoid to use an OS?

You have no idea what propriety software is doing, what data it's logging and sending, what backdoors it has, what it's really downloading. Open-source software lets you (or others will do it for you) to monitor the code base and know exactly whats happening.

If you like into organisations like the CIA, NSA, and any of the 5 eyes intelligence agencies, you'll see they're often caught out doing completely immoral activities and never facing any consequences for them. If you care about your personal liberty, you'd be avoiding propriety software like the plague

gnu.org/philosophy/proprietary.html