Here lies the PCB that never been

Here lies the PCB that never been.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zao8upe4phs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

LAY DOWN AND START RESISTING!

Resistance is futile.

Nope!

Why do we still use physical resistors? Can't we just print all that shit with some resistive paste or something? We could even print them on the inner PCB layers.

We actually can to some extent, but it's not as precise as making little pieces:
youtube.com/watch?v=Zao8upe4phs

>Why do we still use physical resistors?
The imaginary ones don't work well.

That's pretty cool, never heard of it. I think we can print them with some positive tolerance, put the board on a test bed and trim them with a laser to the precise value.
Guy in comments even mentions that they can produce them during the inner layer lamination, but it's a pain in the ass.

component printing is like most 3d printing - incredibly imprecise. you want a resistor to have a defined, fixed resistance, not one that varies by two orders of magnitude.

At least for now still sounds cheaper to just place small, mass manufactured lil pieces of resistance.

What about variable resistors?

Nobody expect carbon tracks to actually be VERY precise.

you want those to vary according to the setting, not according to the whim of the deposition head, temperature, material and pure fucking luck.

It's not like we always need a precise resistance something around +-5% tolerance is commonly used and is fine for all digital applications.

They do ok

I find those way too amusing

They always spring to life!

Resistors are literally cheaper than wire.

Wire is made out of copper and stuff so it's expected.

Not really. What I was referring to is 0 ohm resistors (aka jumpers) - it is cheaper to do a pick and place of a SMD 0 ohm resistor that have some slave minimal-wage chink do a THT wire.
This is also the one of the reasons why we are using regular SMD resistors - they are cheaper than any other option. And if you need good more precision just buy laser-trimmed precise SMD ones.

In this case yes.
You're adding manual labor to something that could pratically be done automatically.

>he's a retard who knows nothing about fundamental electronics

he knows tho, and you also just dimostrated you know nothing imo

i find it a smart joke

No he doesn't, inductors aren't even remotely similar to resistors

Well, they do resist current alternation. So, in some sense, they are imaginary resistors.

jk I'm the retard who didn't fully read the post he was replying to

true but they are misured as imaginary part resistors in alternate current condictions ie jwL

I know. I'm the retard who skipped over that part

So are these manufacturing errors, or have the Resistors resisted too much and peeled away from their posts because of electro-thermal-mechanical forces?

It happens when a huge burst of current hits the resistor and it can't fully hold it. Some circuits are designed so resistors act as makeshift circuit breakers, if that makes sense.

>these manufacturing errors
This. Poor thermal profile during soldering (or poor PCB layout) makes soldering paste melt on one side faster than on the other side. Surface tension on the molten side says "hey bruh come here" and, well, it does before the other side starts melting and this little shit of a part becomes a tombstone.

From the single YT video about the phenomenon I've seen it looks like a simple manufacturing error. Solder on one side of the part didn't "grip" it so the other side that was properly attached pulls the part once the solder start cooling off and constricting.

It has an adorable name for sure.