/pcbg/ PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Good fucking luck even getting a VEGA right now

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

previously:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/Ljx7xY
pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Rise-Tomb-Raider-Gets-Ryzen-Performance-Update
extremetech.com/computing/252576-latest-round-ryzen-bios-updates-improves-performance-adds-features
youtube.com/watch?v=RZS2XHcQdqA
hardocp.com/article/2017/05/26/definitive_amd_ryzen_7_realworld_gaming_guide
amazon.com/BCP-Adhesive-Thermal-Conductive-Heatsink/dp/B01MSL64XG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1504515992&sr=8-5&keywords=Thermal tape
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233982
pcpartpicker.com/list/KG9VNN
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820233982
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-780-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/2164vs3639
walmart.com/ip/iBUYPOWER-Phantom-Gamer-WA501i-Desktop-PC-Intel-Kaby-Lake-Core-i5-7400-Quad-Core-Processor-8GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-GTX1050-2GB-Windows-10-Home-Moni/52130981#read-more
pcpartpicker.com/list/Zd3rkT
pcpartpicker.com/list/2MqG8K
pcpartpicker.com/user/Droyt/saved/r4PxYJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/rWcLZ8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Acer XF270HUA IPS 1440p 140hx Freesync Monitor

Is it worth it for RX Vega 64?

I would dude, the ideal 1440p/144hz monitor imo. Has best design with the slim bezel.

Monitor might be, vega is not worth it tho.

Okay. Revised. Requesting advice.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Ljx7xY

Why buy a 7700k if you buy shit GPU?

Reposting from old thread

Ive heard things about Ryzen gradually becoming better for gaming as time goes on. Any tangible evidence to really support that? Im assuming this is reliant on game devs making games utilize more cores.

Im still debating on 7700k and R7 1700 for gaming (will be OCing w/ an aftermarket cooler)

I have a GTX 745. I had been saving money for a video card when the 7700K fell into my lap. That build is my attempt to make the 7700K work. I'm also still debating selling it and using the $300 to set up a Ryzen 1200 build.

I just don't know.

if you feel confident you can sell it quickly and easily, and arent afraid of ebay/craigstlist then i would do that, but rather than getting a 1200 get a 1600. the 300 will pay for a 1600 and a motherboard, and you'll get slightly better performance in game and be free to stream as well if you want, as well as the fact that you wont have to upgrade for as long
compared to the 7700k, you have a platform that you can wait 4 years and pop a brand new cpu in and probably be fine for another 5 after that, whereas with any new intel chip you'll need a new motherboard

Forgot to mention this is for a 1440p 144hz build

>pcpartpicker.com/list/Ljx7xY

This will work dude, just get 2x8gb rather than 1x 16gb. Ram is dual channel, it'll work better in sets. When you get the chance grab a 1050ti or a 1060 and you're pretty much set for 1080p gaming. You could even drop to 8gb of ram and use those funds towards the gpu. Enjoy that 7700k.

not just game devs utilizing more cores but also patches and updates to existing games to better use ryzen. there are also some scheduling issues in windows iirc, similar to the 8350 when it first launched, so that could get better there. motherboard support and performance is also getting better, which is really helping in some cases. a 1700 with 3600mhz ram matches or beats a 7700k in many cases, even in high refresh rate gaming
pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Rise-Tomb-Raider-Gets-Ryzen-Performance-Update
extremetech.com/computing/252576-latest-round-ryzen-bios-updates-improves-performance-adds-features
youtube.com/watch?v=RZS2XHcQdqA
other ryzen advantages - double the cores for the money so you can do something in the background and not cripple performance, need less expensive cooler for overclock, you dont have to delid ryzen to not have a literal housefire

Pretty sure no one recommends 1700 for just pure gaming. Imo if you're just gonna game go for 7700k or wait for 8700k.

I'd go with the 7700k or the 1600. The 1600 and 1700 perform virtually the same, just the 1700 has more cores/threads.

hardocp.com/article/2017/05/26/definitive_amd_ryzen_7_realworld_gaming_guide

The 7700k is only slightly better at gaming, not worth $100 imo. Honestly though both are good chips i'm sure you won;t be disappointed with either.

>You could even drop to 8gb of ram
And you just allowed me to find a price error. Thank you.

amazon.com/BCP-Adhesive-Thermal-Conductive-Heatsink/dp/B01MSL64XG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1504515992&sr=8-5&keywords=Thermal tape

Will this tape be good enough to hold small heatsinks on vram/mofsets without coming off?

I'm going to install the Accelero Xtreme 3 on my gpu, but don't want to use the provided thermal epoxy

Newegg has a single entry of DDR4 @ 2400mhz on sale for pre-fuckcrazy prices.

Don't share this knowledge.

Can get a asus 4g rx560 for cheap, how much do these usually OC? I want to squeeze everything out of it.

Before I pull the trigger, this is an insanely good deal and I'm not just tired as fuck, right? newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233982

yep, its a good deal

>
it should be, but i would use the thermal epoxy included. i did on my 1080ti and ive had no problems whatsoever

I'm more so concerned with my warranty. Evga is cool with aftermarket coolers, but i'm not sure they're cool with glue on shit like the vram. I'd rather just have to take off some thermal pads.

honestly im not sure if the pads will hold, i know the epoxy will. they should be fine with that, given that it's usually assumed you're going to put a waterblock on

are Zotac's shit? I'm looking at the 1050 ti, seems to be about 10 bucks cheaper than the rest

Posted that $39.99 8GB stick RAM deal elsewhere after giving you all the heads up earlier. If you want it, get it sooner than later.

Not sure how long before SlickDeals finds and posts it. It'll fucking vanish.

zotac is usually pretty good, their 1080ti a shit though
totally depends on card, for a 1050ti it really shouldnt matter

Yeah their Ti is fine. I got one, it's in the mail for now, but the reviews are good. It's not like you can really fuck up a cooler for a 75W card.

Msi did, their armor edition 1080ti overheats and tends to throttle because the cooler was shit. Zotac ones are usually fucking beefy, but good though.

nvm just reread this, you;re talking about the 1050ti

glad you realized you fucked up about the 1080ti vs. 1050ti conversation, but for the record the zotac cooler is bery beefy, but noiser that it should be, less efficient than other smaller, quieter solutions, and lacks a direct connection to the main cooler for the VRM, all things that the other models of 1080 TI all feature.

Updated bits-of-string 7700K build plans.

pcpartpicker.com/list/KG9VNN

Meme cooler. Get something better. Single fan radiator coolers are garbage.
Case is garbage.
Get a SSD.

It'll work but don't expect much if any overclocking with an H55.

>no money and a GT740
>better get 16GB of RAM

It's called a bits-of-string build because I have like $200 to do it. I just spent $80 of that $200 on RAM.

$40 per 8GB stick. newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820233982

I was going to tell you to just use the stock cooler, but of course the 7700k doesn't come with one.
I'd get a decent air cooler instead of a cheap AIO honestly. A Hyper 212 EVO is half of the price and will cool just as well as that AIO.

Get a Be Quiet Dark Rock 2 instead of the H55. It might actually have a chance at keeping the 7700K cool. Get an SSD and not shit case if you can afford.

Go for the 1700 or save money and go for the 1600 (very little difference in games)
Both perform similar to intel in games and demolish the 7700k in any paralell workloads
They also run cooler and have an actual upgrade path
And the 1600 is also far cheaper

Then get a H7 instead of a shit cooler.
It is cheaper and will do the job just as well.

You already had the h55 right? Not the best cooler, but you'll still get a nice moderate/mild overclock. If you haven't bought it yet, consider something like the cryorig H7. Great price on that ram.

Guy from last thread here

Using their build-a-PC thing, I checked Cyberpower's PCs, and came up with this list of parts. The subtotal is like $1,341. This is with a few special Labor day deals going on. Would you say this is a good deal for a filthy casual that just wants a prebuilt? Considering the sum of the price of parts would still probably be in the quad digits...

I don't have any cooler. The whole using-not-the-stock-fan thing is new to me.

I had heard good things about the H55, but only second hand. Good to have more data on the table.

Garbage.

So if I'm looking for a quiet cooling solution for that 7700K, what should I be looking at? The biggest monster-fanned bastard CLC available?

Dude
You can get better prebuilts on Newegg for far less money.

if you switch the cpu to the 7700k then maybe just maybe it flies, but honestly not really a good deal
there's no reason to buy an i5 right now, even the k series chips

This is shit.

If you can find a place that does ryzen cpu, it's not worth going Intel unless you go for the 7700k. Powersupply is also overkill. What's your goal here? 1070 is a 1440p card

Air cooling is quiet. A single big fan moves a lot of air without spinning fast.
With an AIO you'll have the noise of the pump too.

I just don't want to get tricked into buying a video card that isnt any better than my current (failing) one.

What's a good Nvidia video card thats better than the 780? Besides 980. 1050? My resolution is 2560x1600 and I'd like to at least max Fallout 4 and possibly have some future proofing.

Okay.

>My resolution is 2560x1600 and I'd like to at least max Fallout 4 and possibly have some future proofing.

GTX 1080 Ti. Get out your wallet.

I'm getting a 2nd GTX670 for free soon, gonna try to SLI it in my aging rig. What kind of performance should I expect at 1080p? Like what modern GPU equivalent? It's hard to find those kinds of benchmarks.

Does i3 4160 can take gtx 1080 or it will be too big bottleneck?

the 1050 is lower than the 1050ti, which is on par with a 680, which is slower than the 780. a 1060 would be a bit faster, say 10-20%, and a 1070 would be significantly faster, say 30-40%

>2560x1600
only card that'll max games at that res is the 1080 TI. Be prepared to pay top dollar my dude

that is going to bottleneck the living shit out of that card, especially for high refresh gaming

You can save a fortune by getting a GTX 1060 instead.
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-780-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/2164vs3639

not if he wants to max fallout 4 at 1600p

Ok, but i5 4690 will be enough to reduce bottleneck or not?

>With an AIO you'll have the noise of the pump too.
I hadn't even considered that. I thought it would be some slow circulation thing where it wouldn't even be audible.

>Check prices
Wew. I don't think I want a 1080 ti that bad.

Hmm. I guess its either 1060 or 1070. Perhaps maxed isn't the right word, but 1060 is definitely better than what I have now. My old CPU was also bottlenecking my 780, so maybe I'll just get a 1060 with a decent CPU. I'm totally fine with turning down godrays and shit.

an overclocked 4690k would do well, a 4690 will help a lot, but you'll still have some bottleneck

>2560x1600

Damn nice resolution, you probably want the 1070 for that resolution. A 1060 would be more of a side grade than anything. Future proof is odd, you're 780 is still a good card for 1080p for example. 1070 will probably be fine, if you have to, you can always just lower settings a bit down the line. If you can't do that compromise go with a 1080 I guess.

Finally got my new parts. Now to assemble everything!

>Hmm. I guess its either 1060 or 1070.
You're getting fucked either way, as the good 1060 is currently double the normal price due to miners.

In a sane world, this is pretty much the basic price tiering.

1050 Ti: ~$130

1060 3GB: ~$175

1060 6GB: ~$200

1070: ~$300

1080: ~$450

We no longer exist in a sane world.

>mfw PC assembled and everything (finally) seems to be working right, but now I have to do cable management because the side panel literally won't close

I have an X52, and the pump is louder than both the fans.

Hey guys
eurofag here. I'm trying to build a gaming pc on a budget (500 eurodollarz)
Justa question: would you recommend a gtx 1060 3GB or GTX 1050Ti 4GB? The proc will be AMD Ryzen 1300x...
Also, is there a site ti compare becnhmark in order to understand what's better for my purpose (gaming with settings on high - who cares about ultra tier - with "recent" games like the witcher 3 or GTA5 or GhostRecon Wildlands).
What vga would you recommend between these two and why?

Well that sounds like a big fucking oversight.

Cable management is fun!

My friend wanted to get his son (15) his own gaming computer, I told him I would help him build one but he decided to just buy one online instead, he says he'll mainly be playing WoW/Overwatch and shit like that

walmart.com/ip/iBUYPOWER-Phantom-Gamer-WA501i-Desktop-PC-Intel-Kaby-Lake-Core-i5-7400-Quad-Core-Processor-8GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-GTX1050-2GB-Windows-10-Home-Moni/52130981#read-more

Think it'll be able to handle those games? He said it would be able to on high/ultra 60+ FPS at 1080p, but I want to know what you guys think first

And yes, I told him a million times would be easier/cheaper to just buy the parts and build it himself, even offered to do it for him but he wouldn't take no for an answer, doesn't see the big deal in just buying a pre-built computer

>My resolution is 2560x1600 and I'd like to at least max Fallout 4 and possibly have some future proofing.
1080. You don't need the Ti for 60fps.
1070 would do but you'll have to turn down some things in some games. It would still run like a champ though.

You won't gain anything, almost nothing supports SLI.

SLI/Crossfire a shit
don't fall for the meme

Neato. 1600? What are your case and GPU?

I've been doing research on cases and was wondering if you guys have experience with Fractal Design's Arc Midi. I want something spacious without being huge.

>The proc will be AMD Ryzen 1300x...
Get a 1200. Once overclocked, it's literally the same as a 1300X. And I'm not making shit up, I mean literally the same.
If you can get an RX580 or a 1060 6GB for a good price, go for that. Only get a 1060 3GB if it's a really good deal - it's not the best card because of the low amount of VRAM, and the GPU itself is slower than that of the 6GB (10% less cores).

Well it's free :(

Comon bruh, we know it's for you.

What made you want this? It was the rainbow leds huh?

1700, and my case is an HAF HX EVO that I got two weeks ago. GPU is gonna be my old 380X until I get a 1080 next month.

I'm slowly doing a complete overhaul of my old PC. I got 5 drives to carry over and some bays and things so I wanted a case that could house all of those, and a mobo with enough slots as well.
I'm also slowly getting new peripherals, soon new screen (144hz) and headphones.

Nope, not for me, promise, I personally don't think it's that bad of a computer, just wanted some more opinions on it.

Bah. Whats a miner and why would it make them expensive? Would the price go down soon?

Also I think...I'll get a 1070. Strangely enough my PC's 780 seems to have no problems at all with youtube videos and the like, it only has issues in 3D games. I'm wondering if its actually the video card, or a voltage issue.

If there's nothing wrong with my computer I might just wait before springing on getting a new one. Do you guys know what the best things to do to test a video card are? Besides Furmark. Or how to test a PSU?

That's overpriced, but it will play those games. Not even ultra for overwatch with a 1050.

This PC is faster, and quite a bit cheaper:
pcpartpicker.com/list/Zd3rkT
This PC is quite a lot better for games, and the same price:
pcpartpicker.com/list/2MqG8K

pcpartpicker.com/user/Droyt/saved/r4PxYJ

Any advice? This build is primarily for gaming and some light photo editing. The game that I'm planning on running are: Destiny 2, Monster Hunter World, PUBG and the .hack//GU remaster. I'm building this in Japan, but I will be importing the GPU.

I'm thinking about switching the 1700 for a 1600, as I've heard the 1700 isn't necessary for gaming. I'm wondering if the 1600 will bottleneck the GTX 1080 at all? I'd also like to emulate using PCSX2 and cemu, would the 1700 make any difference in that department? I understand that Intel is better for both gaming and emulation, but I don't want to wait for coffee lake to release. I'd like to build this before the end of September.

The monitor is shit, any recommendations sub-$300 would be appreciated. My knowledge of what makes a good monitor is pretty limited.

>Once overclocked
You mean the """boost""" settings as written in the description of the product? I'm not familiar with overclocking procedure 'cause i've never done one before.
>1060 3GB "good deal"
I can get one for 200 euros. 1060 6GB will be 330 euros and RX580 seems too expensive 'cause can't find one for less than 370 euros

Oh you're that guy with the weird case. Makes sense if you have a ton of drives. Happy building.

A proper PSU shouldn't even turn on unless it detects that it is plugged into a motherboard via two of the power pins cycling a signal out and back
A lot of PSUs now come with a "tester" which plugs onto the end of your mobo cable and shorts those two wires, simulating the presence of a mobo, so you can at least figure out if it's a complete dud
Beyond that, you'll have to actually connect it to components to make sure the wires and connectors all work, that it will function at load, etc etc

It's kinda ugly and really big but it's grown on me.
I plan on buying even more drives soon as well, mostly for work (do lots of video editing so need hefty room to keep all my stuff in it).
Someone needs to design a lower profile case with more than just 3 drive bays.

And thanks!

>Whats a miner and why would it make them expensive? Would the price go down soon?
cryptocurrency (like bitcoin) can be gaines by using your graphics card to process transactions. A new cryptocurrency, Ethereum, rose up significantly, and unlile BTC can only be mined efficiently with consumer GPUs. So some people bought dozens of cards to run them 24/7 and make a small amount of money, so supply dried up and prices shot up.
Right now the only cards that are not ridiculously overpriced are 1050/Ti and 1080/Ti.

>Bah. Whats a miner and why would it make them expensive? Would the price go down soon?

Cryptocurrency miners. Many cryptocurrencies use raw computing power to work through cryptography to generate a limited supply of the digital currency, allowing early adopters to amass large sums of it that can then potentially be worth actual money as they try to play it as being a legitimate token for transactions.

Where it was originally intended to use CPU cycles, and where the most successful known as Bitcoin has already run itself out to where you need specialized hardware to do anything due to a scaling difficulty requiring exponentially more computing power to generate more of the currency, others have arose that make use of GPU power. This has led to normies going out and buying all the video cards to string them together in poorly ventilated "mining rigs" in pursuit of e-shekels.

The AMD RX 570 and RX 580 are supposed to be $150 and $180 options. They're currently $300 and $350 because they're particularly good at doing the math, meaning the miners poach and scalp them.

Crypto miners, like bitcoin and shit. Basically these fucks build computers that solve algorithms all day and it makes them $$$

>I'm thinking about switching the 1700 for a 1600
That's what I was going to say. The 1600 performs exactly the same in games, and photo editing doesn't need massive power, so you don't need the 1700. And no, it won't bottleneck a 1080 Ti, so neither will it the 1080.
If I remember correctly, Cemu only uses two to three cores, at least right now, so the two extra cores of the 1700 would do literally nothing for you there. Not sure about PCSX2 but I don't doubt the 1600 will run it absolutely fine.

Other than that your build looks good. You can avoid spending that much on a Windows licence, either by installing but not activating it (but it leaves a watermark on the screen), pirating it, or buying a cheap key online on sites like Kinguin (it's legit, and like $30).

This also means you don't want to buy used video cards, as the market is flooded with cards that were ran at 100% and poorly overclocked and left at 100% for 24/7 until they started having diminishing returns.

My friend is hellbent on saying it will run Overwatch on ultra, you don't think it would?

Those are some nice builds, maybe I can convince him to cancel the order and buy those parts instead.

1050 is a weak card. 1060 would get him there

My computer's video card picked a bad time to break on me, holy shit. And just last week I had to take my car to the shop, too.

My GPU is probably just dying. I've got it connected to a battery and maybe the battery could be faulty but with my luck, its probably the video card...eh, I needed a new PC setup anyway.

Get a 1050 Ti on sale. Wait things out. Settle with less for the time being.

Only advice I can give you.

pcpartpicker.com/list/rWcLZ8

Gaming build.

Requesting optimizations on price.

No I mean actual overclock. Both the 1200 and 1300X have "boost", which will do an automatic overclock under load. The X's is higher, which is where the better stock performance comes from.
But once you overclock those CPUs (which is not hard, if you've read up on it a little), the boost disappears (since your base clock is higher than that boosted one anyway), and they both perform the same. And the OC limit on them is the same, 3.9 to 4.1GHz.

>I can get one for 200 euros.
I wouldn't pay more than that for a 3GB. Those are absurd prices for a 1060 6GB and a RX580, so don't get that.
I can buy a 1060 6GB for 226€ right now in France, so that's worth it, but prices aren't the same in every country sadly.

change cpu cooler for a cryorig h7 or similar, it will perform just as well as the aio, cheaper, quieter, less likely to fail