/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Ride'n the Firefox Roller Coaster Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

overclock.net/t/1384767/official-the-qnix-x-star-1440p-monitor-club#
tftcentral.co.uk/articles/calibrating.htm#software
tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#install
pcgamer.com/best-graphics-card-deals-today/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Do any of you niggers use Cytube plus on Cytube at all?

What happened with Firefox?

Mozilla finally realized their mobile OS was never going to happen, and stopped putting most of their resources into it. Then somebody there said "Oh shit, we have browser!" And they've been "fixing it" ever since.

They've saved the best surprise for November.

I run linux on a laptop and connect it to my 40 inch screen to watch movies, and to browse the chans.
I use flat screen for cytube.

Since my flat screen tv is a distance from the couch I increased the font size for readability.

When I take my laptop on the road and only use the laptop screen, I have to undoo all the font size increases.

Is there a easy way to switch between profiles? I though of creating a new user just for movies, but then the issue of Home directories comes up. My home is encrypted.

Anyone know if there is a application or setting that if the laptop is connected to flat screen 40 inch sammy, to have big fonts etc, but if just the laptop screen is used, default font size?

How do I turn my laptop into a home server?
Basically, I just want it so that I can access my chinese cartoons on my other laptop without using a separate HDD to transfer it.
Also, can I put a password on it? Since it would be a home network, I don't want people in my house viewing my private stuff.

ubuntu server. if the storage drive is ntfs, samba, if ext*, ftp

All you need to do is click on a folder and select "share this"
Everything else is self explaining.

What is the closest otc alternative to adderall? Without it, I'm unable to focus on anything for more than 30 minutes, but adderall has shitty long term effects I don't want to deal with

maybe a really strong ECA stack? idk man go ask /fit/ in their /qtddtot/

If I move my pics folder to NAS storage:
- is there any good way to be able to assign directory icons in a way that different linux, windows, and mac clients could all pick up?
- can client-side thumbnailing key off server-maintained file SHAs etc. in linux, windows, and/or mac in such a manner that the client cache (re)generation is somewhat fast?

I built a new rig a few weeks ago.

On two occasions all the peripherals (monitor ect) turn off, the pc sounds like it turns off but it stay on. Keeping the power key down does nothing, so I have to switch it off at the back.

What I have I done wrong? The PSU is 6 years old, but it showed no signs of failing on my previous rig, plus it has more than enough power. Should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one? Or could it be the motherboard? I have no idea.

In extend mode (windows 10), is there any way to only enable audio associated with the active display?

Unless you use a media server type thing, none of this is cross platform.
Kodi,plex, or even just a basic dlna server is what you are looking for

Hey Sup Forums. Total Chad here.
This saturday me and a few friends are going to throw a small party in a roof. We're going to use my pc to handle music playing and other stuff. Like, there's going to be a small super smash bros tourney, and one of the guys has a ddr mat to plug.
Sadly nobody has a cheap disposable laptop to use, so we're left with this.
The question is, how do I insulate the pc as best as possible? I thought of wrapping it in a big plastic bag. Any other ideas?

They made an update out of nowhere that broke sound on several distros (contact your admin to install unwanted new packages today!) for basically no reason. Then they decided to kill every addon ever written before 2017, so that any addon NOT built from the ground up in the last few months will stop working when you update to firefox 57 this November. And they've replaced their old addon system (one of their top selling points) with a new one that neuters the fuck out of addons, and doesn't let them do half the shit the old ones could, unless the mozilla team decides to write a custom api for the addon. The kicker? It's only weeks away and only about 10% of the addons have even been converted. Most never will.

>insulate the pc
wat

oh wow.

shit, sorry, not the right word. replace that with "protect".

Protect it from what?
People?
Dont put it in the middle of the room

Do not do anything that blocks your PC's vents. That shit's gotta breathe. I'd say best you can do is put it away in a desk or something, and run peripherals to it. Peripherals are cheap as fuck, even wireless ones. Now you just have to watch out for the screen/tv.

How do I edit an ICC profile for my monitor? I found one I like but I just want to up the gamma a tiny bit. My monitor has no inbuilt way of editing the colours.

>using a dekstop pc for playing music
>not using what is in your pocket right now
back to your containment board

>My monitor has no inbuilt way of editing the colours.
Lies

Can't run Dolphin from my cellphone.
Will check on r9k in a while, thanks for the suggestion.

How do you mean?

It's one of those cheap Korean 1440p ones, the only things it has is volume up and down and brightness adjustment.

If you're trying to let people fuck around with music at a party, a keyboard and mouse are a godsend

And by brightness I mean the backlight brightness, not the colour brightness.

Is it more important that my pantyhose match my skirt, my top, or my shoes?

Your top.

The skirt baby, everything revolves around that

Check your manual for calibration menus. Also some come with special software that will let you change things up from the PC. You can probably tweak it a bit, but a high quality tweaking usually requires getting your hands on a digital celebrator.

Forgot to mention. It's for coding.

Your bush. That's the outfit you'll finish the night with.

>Check your manual for calibration menus
Wha?

>Also some come with special software that will let you change things up from the PC
It definitely doesn't, it's just a Samsung panel someone stuck to a stand and some speakers.

I'm not trying to do any photo editing or anything important on it where I need perfect colours, it's just for games. I just need it a tiny bit brighter because it loses gamma the higher you push the overclock on it, and it's a bit too dark where it is.

>Wha?

[The model number of your shit] + [What you want to figure out about your shit] + [Google]

This is the formula that solves 90% of the problems on here. So if someone says use a manual to find out about calibration, your next step should be watching your fingers type in "manual" "" "calibration" and "thank you google".

Try this literally every time you want to do something specific to your shit.

Is there a good lightweight program for trimming videos? I just want to throw it in, trim it, and have it output the exact same format. Every one I try wants me to fuck around with the output settings. I just want it to go in and out with the same file format, codec, frame rate, resolution, and bit rate, but just trimmed to where I want it.

ffmpeg -ss switch

I know how to use ICC profiles I just don't know how to edit them.

How much of a performance hit would two monitors make if one was just like web or performance monitoring stuff? I would think there would be additional vram usage but if it was just a static web page not much else

none.

Alright, what's your model number?

I'm really not sure how it helps, the issue isn't specific to a monitor.

The monitor is a Qnix QX2710.

Pretty much since the demise of XP a second monitor hasn't mattered for shit unless it's actually doing something intensive

Why does vlc only sound like shit when playing local files, but internet radio streams are being played back perfectly fine?

cool beans I'm probably getting a hand me down monitor from a friend and haven't had any experience with multi monitor setups

overclock.net/t/1384767/official-the-qnix-x-star-1440p-monitor-club#

What's the best external I can get for $160 or less? Needs to be 2 or 3tb.

Thanks dude now I know where to download ICC profiles (what I've already managed) but still not how to edit them (the original question).

Am I irrevocably botnet'd if my desktop uses "modern" hardware (Intel Core i5-6500, ASRock Z170 Pro4S)?

Are my backdoors ripe for the picking?

>asscock
>i5
I hope the FBI catches you downloading lewd anime.

Can a xeon 1650 v2 be overclocked? I can pick some up locally on craigslist for cheap, and want to know.

myfavoritesearchengine.com
"Can a xeon 1650 v2 be overclocked"
*enter*

That's cold, holmes.

what are some easy ways to get my computer to run hotter?
I'm on an FX/R9 build, so producing a lot of heat shouldn't be too hard, but are there any lightweight (small file size, quick to start, obviously not light in resource usage) applications that utilize gpu and cpu for that purpose? or will I have to run a videogame instead?

Why?

What program should I use to manage my GPU and CPU fans? Ever since I got an MSI 580x my computer has been loud as fuck not even under load, the thermals are fine so I want to slow down my fans but I don't know if I have to go into the BIOS to do that.

I'm cold and I don't feel like playing videogames

Getting cold in Russia?

prime95
cinebench

Personally I just run Unigine Heaven in a window, doesn't stop me using the internet and gets nice and toasty. If you're really autistic fire up one or two threads of Prime95 too.

I can only find info on the standard and v3

I fucked it up installing a custom title bar theme for Windows and now it's all grey, thought just on the primary display.
Is there something I could do without having to reinstall Windows?
Could I just install Ubuntu or any other friend, get into Windows/Resources/Themes and just delete the theme?

Also, I can see the cursor, but anything else than a grey screen. I tried to install Penumbra 10 or however it's called.

Processor: AMD A8-5600K APU
RAM: 8GB
GeForece GTX 650

So I uncovered a old gaming computer I built 2 years ago and was wondering what I could possibly put to upgrade it to play newer games (fifa 18 etc),Thank you

Follow the links padawan.

tftcentral.co.uk/articles/calibrating.htm#software

tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#install

Ideally you'd use software specifically paired with a physical calibrator. If you don't have that you can use whatever came with your GPU or a third party windows calibrator. And if you can't be arced to do that, use the windows calibrator itself.

Ty senpai.

JAMAL

There are probably children out there holding down spacebar to stay warm in the winter! YOUR UPDATE MURDERS CHILDREN.

Can anyone provide me a guide or let me know how to get kmozillahelper working with firefox manually? For anyone unfamiliar, it's what allows you to use a Dolphin window as your file picker in Firefox (pic related).

I've been using Manjaro KDE since it already has this set up with their firefox-kde package. However, if I simply install the plasma desktop, firefox and kmozillahelper on another distro, it doesn't just start working understandably. There has to be some other steps the Manjaro team does to get this working, but I can't figure out how to do it. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!

You might be able to do alright with a 1050ti on games that don't stretch the CPU too hard. I'd say go a little lower, but the deals are kinda weak at that range

pcgamer.com/best-graphics-card-deals-today/

Would putting a fan on the heatsink of my fridge make it need to run the compressor less often to stay cold? Or is this a stupid idea?

I like it, but it needs moar power

How do I upgrade WSL from Trusty to Xenial? I tried reinstalling it from cmd, which reinstalled Trusty, and I tried to run do-release-upgrade as root, which, after downloading a few files, exits as pic related and does nothing.

Has anyone noticed any GPU price drops thanks to the based chink ICO ban yet? When will ((ethereum)) finally fuck off for good?

Can anyone help me with Excel VBA?

I have a script in "ThisWorkbook" that under a certain condition, the last non-blank row of columns A-E gets cleared. I get a runtime error 1004 when the sheet this script is directed at isn't the active sheet, even after I've hardcoded it to the sheet like:
>Worksheets("sheet 1").cells((var, 1), (var, 5))

Why does it show the error if I've explicitly stated the sheet?

>PC is connected to dorm internet
>getting into a VAC server isn't working
What the fuck?

I live in Washington DC.

I was hoping to receive my new phone tomorrow because it arrived at DC on Saturday.

But now it's in fucking Tennessee.

What does it mean ?

lxrun /uninstall
lxrun /install
Worked for me, make sure you have all updates installed and shit. Failing that, try installing it from the Store.

I started getting this message when trying to add files to my posts on my laptop. I'm running Sup Forums X and Oneechan (tried reinstalling both) through Greasemonkey on Firefox 55.0.3. Adding files work fine if I turn off greasemonkey and just use native Sup Forums.
Any idea why I get this message? I feel crippled navigating this website without Sup Forums X.

Sounds like they're blocking those ports.

How do I computer?

I use a keyboard

pleb

Why does this piece of shit not work on Iridium, yet works flawlessly on Chrome botnet? I cant seem to figure out whats wrong with it.

I miss spoke. I use my erect penis and a flight simulator.

I think I might have one of those lying around. Any tips on how to use it?

It plugs into your rear port

I have the latest Windows 10 updates and what you showed only reinstalled 14.04 Trusty. Will try the store now.

The Ubuntu app in the app store says I have to join the Insider Preview.
What do?

How hard would gpu pass through be on headless linux system to a windows amd vm?

count = 0;
while (count++ < 3) {
System.out.println(count);
}

count = 0;
while (++count < 3) {
System.out.println(count);
}

The first while loop prints '1 2 3' but the second prints '1 2'. Why? I'd expect it to print '0 1 2'

Does a usenet provider who has some servers in murica have to hand over their shit because MPAA?

>headless linux system to a windows amd vm
user what are you doing

Why the fuck are BDRemuxes always 16:9?

MPAA isn't law enforcement

I have an old e5 1680 hp system I got from work, and an old amd radeon card from my brother. The card fits fine, but it's currently running ubuntu server and only has the single gpu now.

someone, please