So this is the future of Ubuntu.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Comparison_of_init_systems
build.snapcraft.io/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why not just apt-get chromium-browser

>actually using linux

lmao

It's only a matter of time before everything is a Snap package.

UBUNTU BOTNET CONFIRMED

completely untrue

are you fucking kidding me

>using Ubuntu instead of Debian
You deserve the concequences of your actions

>Ubuntu
Manjaro is the new hotness

don't need that if you do it via terminal
at least on 16.04

why would you download things like that rather than through terminal

>Snap store
top kek just give up

flatpak won

Yea, I know. Gnome is disgusting.

I really don't understand why Snap and Flatpak are needed or useful. Other than by project upstreams who want to do an end run around distro maintainers, which is something I actively don't want.

I think you kid but it's true. Manjaro literally is the sweet spot.

>using obongo
install gentoo

This is why I use a slackware-base with a deb package manager.

flatwho?
they should make them compat. so we all win. containerized apps would be great 2bh
not having to deal with firejail and right configurations and all that.

>Flatpak is designed to run inside a desktop session and relies on certain session services, such as a dbus session bus and a systemd --user instance. This makes Flatpak not a good match for a server.
more useless gnomepajeetredhatware for that 2% desktop market

Yeah, but the name stinks of curry. Name Ubuntu was obviously picked to cater to sjw nigger-lovers...

That's a load of shit and you know it

Why the fuck wouldn't you just use the commandline? Easier to automate. I have used the same script since 8.04 with occasional tweaks across reinstalls and it's still worked fine in 16.04.

>Manjaro
hows the hardware support? I have a laptop lenvo t450 that I run ubuntu on. Not a fan of this email requiemrnt, was looking to jump to something more stallman worthy.

Ubuntu did remove the privacy issues in 16, but the lenses are still there.

you can just apt-get through that shit, it's definitely a bad sign for the future though. how fucking annoying

I have a $400 Dell i3 I bought 7 months ago from Walmart. I've never had a hardware issue iwth Manjaro. The only issues I've ever had I think were caused by dual-booting so I erased Windows 10 and am solely running Manjaro. No problems so far.

snaps are designed to be decentralyzed

they can be hosted on 3rd party repos or locally

the official repo can be accessed via snapd without the gui login

>inb4 muh flatpaks
they arent GPLv3

snapcraft has more info on building or hosting your own

>No problems so far
if by 'problems' you mean 'games' then yea

Can i sign in with my amazon account

apt-get snapd
apt-get snap packagename

no sign in required

>>inb4 muh flatpaks
>the aren't contributors license agreement
ftfy

i heard apt gets viruses

Manjaro is nice.
Antergos is also very nice.

Linuxfaggots must die

hahahaha nigga how can snapstore logins be real hahaha install arch nigga, pacman -S chromium nigga hahahahahaha YAOURT CHROMIUM

Don't fall for this charlatans lies my noobuntu friends, Manjaro is a meme distro known for it's security holes, weird design choices and out of date packages, the REAL no nonsense preconfigured Arch install is ANTERGOS.

Shouldn't you be back in school right now?

My man.

use apt https

>using LGPL

The REAL no nonsense arch is arch anywhere

>no nonsense arch
debian

>being this retarded

more like
apt install chromium

have you used it at all?

until the SSL certificate runs out again

>Manjaro is nice.
"I'm too stupid to install Arch"
>Antergos is also very nice.
"I'm too stupid to install Arch"

Mint doesn't have this.

I have run an arch install multiple times and for years, bur when it comes to installing on new machines it's a fucking pain in the ass to repeat the process over and over, I'd rather get Antergos minimal and be up and running in 10 minutes.

Mint doesn't have anything because the devs are incompetent.

I'll take them over ubuntu, which can't seem to figure out what the fuck they want to be, and are relying on gnome, who thinks basic fucking shit shouldn't come out of the box, and instead should be bolted on.

The Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

How about neither and using a real distro? If you love your .debs so much go to debian.

Why? So I can install everything that Mint has, and make it just like Mint?

Stability for a start, the mint devs are so incompetent that when they package shit in the upstream they can't even add -mint to it, they literally use the same names as the ubuntu stream so you can't get those packages if you want them.

L O O K
O
O
K

Look at all the faggot Stockholm Syndrome Ubuntu users and literal Ubuntu shills in this thread.

Just look at them. They're almost as cucked as Windows users. The fact that this is a thing at all is unacceptable.

The absolute state of Ubuntu.

When that becomes an issue for me, I may look into it. Thus far (the past 3 years), it hasn't been.

Yes, can confirm, but still really annoying for normies who can't into CLI (aka the Ubuntu target audience). Also the app store or what they call it is fucking broken. Ubuntu 16.04 is a piece of shit.

>pacman -Syu love
>target not found

>not using
please() {
if [[ "$1" == "install" ]]; then
if [[ "$3" == "for" ]]; then
if [[ "$4" == "me" ]]; then
if [[ "$5" == "daddy" ]]; then
apt install "$2"
fi
fi
fi
fi
}
>not having a terminal waifu

What a fucking loser

using fucking linux get fucked piece of shit nigger nerd

no on my machine thanks

mfw

this
3.37% on desktop and liderating the rest of the market, u faggot

>sudo snap install [package name]
No sign in needed

It looks like gnome is going to cuck us all pretty hard with their GTk3 cancer. AIDS window borders and no more status icons. Because there's no way the Linux community will stop piggybacking on their development.

Its for projects like krita, eg those that got memed into heavy qt+kde usage, so that installing newer versions from ppa would require upgrading half of the system.
Or like anything that really profits from updates (because features), since patching such clusterfucks would make maintainers pull their hair out. Its a "better" alternative to ppa's and unofficial repos, because of the option to include dependencies.

Does arch still use init? I heard weird things about systemd- bloated, might have hidden code, and some philosophical argument that I don't quit get.

wait, wut? is that a thing? Its all about the reposits no?

looks like windows xp.

If you don't even know why you should hate it, then you're not the kind of person who has any reason to hate systemd, it won't affect you at all.

>liderating the rest of the market
Yeah, until Fuchsia matures, and gets rid of your bloated meme kernel.

Good. Then we dont have to worry about regressions and dependency issues and related system breakages. Everything will be contained in its little sandbox instead of shitting up the OS.

We already know how apt loves to leave unused dependencies around after uninstalling shit.

enlighten me. As I understand it: init was compartmentalized while the systemd does the opposite. Am I off here?

Ubotnetu and its clones shouldn't be recommended to babbies.

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Comparison_of_init_systems

Ubotnetu and its clones shouldn't be recommended to babbies.

>chromuim

>Arch is nice
"I'm a dumb ricefag and can't install Gentoo"

sure feels comfy as fuck to be running fedora 26 right now

>linux only for servers hurrdurrr
is this summer fag meme ever going away?

>muh gaymes

gnome software center is useless. download the snap and install it with terminal

daamn, why Canonical wants to be botnet so much? It looks like we will have an Amazon spyware experience yet again.
Why they just don't take something like FreeBSD and make it the botnet that they like. Thank God that all Canonical bullshit stays within the distro.

Using a kde application as a appimage on a gnome desktop or a gnome flatpak on kde. To avoid needing to install all the dependencies.

>not using an actual package manager

Windowsfag dropping his video games hobby to learn programming.

Is Ubuntu good for me or is it still botnet?

THIS. SNAP = NEW HIP "APP" STORE

it's chromium-browser on ubuntu

It's fine. I'd go with Xubuntu since Unity is kill. You'll have to fix screen tearing though.

You don't need to switch systems to learn programming, you know.

>using Debian instead of Mint
i hope you don't do this

This.
Idk how this thread devolved so much but it was stated multiple times.

Snaps are designed to be hosted 3rd party.
build.snapcraft.io/

Docs here to host your own repos on github or on a server.

Snaps and snapd are both GPLv3

>fuschia using magenta the bsd kernel fork

until google closes it off and cuks everyone who provided free development

then we will be sitting pretty with out GPL kernel ;)

So whats a snap package?

It's what you get for using a kernel developed by nsa

A pre-installed app containing all dependencies, similar to how you can unarchive firefox on linux and run it without installation. Basically what appimage does. You download it, double click it, and it opens and runs fine.
It's pretty much how windows handles installations, which is good since you won't have to manage dependencies (as they'll all be included) but bad since it will waste more space.

Thanks for that. Seems like it might be useful in some cases, but I'll just keep installing from the terminal

even Linus admits that dynamic linking was a mistake

This and the ability to easily install programs on a non-internet connected machine. I tried ubuntu back at 8.10 but I had no internet at the time. Instead I went to WinXP where I could take a flash drive to a friend's house, load up on programs and install when I got back home. I know , I know, EVERYONE has internet these days. Even with a smartphone, you could download a windows program and transfer it to a PC. Linux, not so easily, until now.

Do Sup Forumstards know where the Kilimanjaro is?

>Do Sup Forumstards know
No