Aesthetictechnology

aesthetictechnology

or

What if modern tablets/netbooks went down this path?

no one would buy the shit that looked like that and it would stop existing

They'd be shit. No, really. Tablets only really took off the way they did when the "overgrown iPhone" approach to them became a thing.

Netbooks and handhelds like that are just too small to really be practical for a physical keyboard. Any task or use case that needs such a small device probably doesn't get any benefit from a physical keyboard, and any that really call for a physical keyboard probably don't need a device that small.

Now don't get me wrong, I find them as interesting and fun to play with as the next Sup Forumsentleman, but in practical terms they're pretty pointless.

How i fucking wish we had something like this just now.
Heck, it could be just a phablet slapped on instead of a screen and id still buy it for the convenience of a proper keyboard instead of the meme that is touchscreen typing.

>Netbooks and handhelds like that are just too small to really be practical for a physical keyboard.
I've been using a netbook for 6 years, it worked well for me.

Well good for you, but you're in the minority there.

And I say this as someone who also used netbooks for a good number of years (and still has an old one that occasionally gets used as a terminal). I could make use of them, but they were ever so slightly too small to really be comfortable.

>Heck, it could be just a phablet slapped on instead of a screen and id still buy it for the convenience of a proper keyboard instead of the meme that is touchscreen typing.
Yeah it is a shame there isn't a laptop built around the keyboard like this, with like a 21:9 screen above it with nearly no bezel & front-firing speakers flanking either side. It could be on the new Core m7 with a pascal mobile GPU (windows) or just run on the newish Nvidia Parker 2 SoC (basically the new "tegra" and on Linux or Android).

Screen could be touch-screen and they keyboard could have a nub above the spacebar (with the spacebar split in two for L/R click). Fullsize layout like the picture in My dream device.

Main thing about some low end 2-in 1s is that they can charge via micro usb like avphone like surface 3 or real expensive usb 3 charging. 2 in 1 or laptop

It must feel good to be in majority.

>2011
>10.1" screen
>2 3.5mm Jacks, 3 USB ports, VGA, HDMI, Ethernet
>2017
>Everything smaller 15" barely has any ports
>tfw I must get used to dem dongles or get a bigger notebook
Last years in notebooks suck for me.

>those computers were too small
Reminder that people read six inch novels and computer keyboards don't need to be any wider than seven inches either. People didn't buy them because most prefer screens no smaller than fifteen inches due to them being raised in front of TV's more often than being novel readers, or even spending much time at a computer terminal where you are much much closer. Near sighted people that aren't TV watching normies that never read a book in their lives are the ones that buy things more often so the production of such tech is kill due to economic demand of normalfaggots.

>ur the minority here
I wonder how normal you are? When you put your hands together for measuring how wide a keyboard must be, are your hands really more than seven inches across when held close together? It should be about eight knuckle to knuckle but your fingers can hit at angles.

Honestly, I'm not that fussed by a lack of ports. I'm on an 11" MacBook Air that has 2 USB ports, 1 3.5mm jack and a Thunderbolt port. I honestly haven't really needed to use an external monitor/projector, everywhere I go that I want to use the network has WiFi, and it's rare that I want to plug more than one USB device in at a time, let alone more than two.
But eh, if you need all that, get a laptop with all of that.

It's keyboard size, not screen size, that concerns me most. That said, smaller screens aren't as comfortable to use as a similarly sized book, but if they were higher resolution they'd be fine.

Mine are about 8" apart, and I don't have particularly large hands.

Maximum comfy user.

The Omnibook was god tier, I wish somebody would make it again, but with a nice low-power ARM CPU and a clit mouse. I'd pay $2500 for one, but it must retain the ability the Omnibook had of taking AA batteries.

That looks really neat. I want something that is like that. Nearly full size keyboard and just a wide as fuck screen. Kind of like the Sony Vaio-P machines. Those were neat.

i'd love to have that for IRC only.

What about the GPD Pocket?

you might like this

>keyboard too small
>pointing nub in wrong spot
>gay hinge design
>average specs, screen, battery life
ok other than that, 4/10

A proper touchscreen interface is better than that shit for quickly using the device. I agree with

That actually looks like it'd have some really comfy potential, aside from the keyboard that's just hardcore fucked up.

> Ginormous fucking enter key despite limited space
> prtscr/pause are actual keys instead of FN combinations making F-Keys fucking tiny
> Lower row is fucked up because tons of chingchong keys, two alt and control keys(???) and a fucking context menu key that no one ever uses
> Backslash is where forward slash should be
> Two shift keys, right one pointlessly fucking microscopic
> Backspace is also fucking microscopic because fucking extra chingchong key
> Meanwhile @ has its own fucking key for some reason

WHY DOESN'T THE DISPLAY COVER THE WHOLE FUCKING FRONT FACE
IT'S A SMALL ASS DEVICE, I DON'T WANT ALL THESE FUCKING BEZELS

If its keyboard was derived from US standard rather than Japanese, it'd probably be alright. Some details like a tiny right shift are kind of damned if you do damned if you don't, since space is limited but some software assumes two shift keys.

For many LCD panels, electronics that drive it are around the screen. Behind is usually possible, but more expensive to manufacture.

> but some software assumes two shift keys.

Huh. I've never come across any software that differentiates right and left shift.

Not a huge amount of it, but there is some. Couldn't name any examples off the top of my head, though. Whatever DOS-based touch-typing tutorial it was I used back in the day certainly insisted on using right shift for keys you type with the left hand and left shift for what you type with the right.

>average specs, screen
What kind of specs do you think netbooks have had back then?

why did they even start using black screens? phones have better battery life if they were this usable without backlight.

What exactly can you do with that thing?

Often for structural reasons as well. Thicc bezels generally mean a sturdier device, which is crucial for something intended for carry. Especially if it's pocket-sized.

Are you stupid? The screen in the OP device doesn't use the same type of LCD as modern devices. And our screens now are not black-colored. Kill yourself my friend.

That too. I can understand wanting more screen, but whenever I see something that's either bezelless or has really thin ones, my first thought isn't "yay, more screen", it's "shit, that looks flimsy".

And besides, the bezels that people are complaining about really aren't that thick at all. The laptops around when I was young were almost literally more bezel than screen.

I'm using the Asus Eee PC T91. It's a 2009 netvertible, which basically means it's a netbook and a tablet.

It's far from perfect, but I recently installed the Sugar TOAST version of Trisquel on it, and so far it's been a much better experience.

I don't remember how good the stylus for it was, (since I lost it ages ago,) but I was using Dialga and Palkia styli recently. Then I lost them. However, I started using the Wii U stylus with it, and so far, it's been a thousand times better. It is also far better than when I tried with my fingers.

All in all, though, a netvertible with Trisquel Sugar TOAST and a Wii U stylus isn't THAT bad of an experience. Again, it's far from perfect.

wow that keyboard is actually beautiful

specs/screen seem fine but your other points are spot on, and I don't even know if I'd give it as high of a score as 4/10, the keyboard is THAT bad

Not sure about dual shift keys, but off the top of my head I can at least say that virtualbox uses right alt specifically as your key to stop controlling the vm

How do you keep losing styluses? Did the original one have a way to stick inside the laptop body like an X series Tablet ThinkPad?

PPC was nice.

Some day ill have something as comfy as this dude's setup.