Linux Desktop Year

Holy shit guys it's happening for real

lol

You can sperg out when it hits 10% marketshare

Mac OS faggots sper out everyday and they are not even on 10%, why should I shut up?

>tfw i'm part of the problem

>FreeBSD will never have this much market share
why even live

free what?

because it's not a big deal

and you honestly don't want to take mass marketshare from windows

I hope linux stays at a comfortable 10-20% of the desktop market and no further. This keeps all the corporations focused on windows and lets linux thrive without restraint

I see exponentional growth there anons... we'll be surprised how fast we get 10%

Even Windows 10 is only 27.99% of all users. Everything else is either old, Macs or Linux. The third biggest part of the market share is only 6.07%.

You only think 3% market share is nothing because you automatically assume that the rest of the 97% is Windows. When you see the whole picture it looks a lot different. After the currently used old Windows versions are deprecated the users need to move on to something else. Either they'll accept Windows 10 or not. Windows 10 might rise from 27.99% or the whole group might migrate to Linux. Who knows.

>inb4 they should have lumped them all together since Linux is too
I don't think they should, the old ones are not updated. It doesn't matter if there are multiple Linux distros if they all get their updates. Only the current versions are relevant to desktop use so we should look at the newest MacOS, newest Windows and the Linux distros that get updates, which is practically all of them.

LOL Mac is really falling like that?
linux is slowly eating them

>slowly
linux is raping osx at the speed of light

Must be because MacOS isn't really offering anything that's not also possible in Linux.

>~3%
lmaoing @ you from my Windows 10 pro

Except professional software, a unified cohesive OS and a usable, coherent GUI.

You can't even adjust your mouse scroll distance. Linux fags are delusional as evidence by this thread.

It actually has much more.

>macfag calling others delusional
tippy toppy zozzy my nozzy

Pick a distro for me Sup Forums
I dont want systemd
I dont want Linux kernel

But Linux has all of that except unification.

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

FreeBSD.

How is the software support on it?

Better than Linux.

Do you guys think we should all move to BSD now that Linux has gone mainstream?

I would say that GNU/Linux has all of that except good software:
- graphic design tools are laughably bad
- still no decent video editor (kdenlive is ok for amateurs
- 3d. Only Blender which is jack of all trades and a master of none. Also, it's interface is driving me nuts.
- LibreOffice Calc is nowhere near as capable as Exel. Writter is Ok, though
- and so on...

I love GNU/Linux (because GPL) but must admit that it's useless on a deaktop for anybody who is not some kind of a dev or a normie who just uses PC for very basic tasks.

I'll bite....
I was trying to so some audio production was not Linux. Basically only thing it has is adour and I am missing lots of features and muh vst support. Basically unusable for anything besides hobbies. Jack is nice though.

Same for Video production most industry Standarts are not available. But muh light room?????
No movie was produced exclusively with light room you fucking autists.

Alright I will run a VM and see how it behaves.

Dunno, will definitely be trying it out though.

>go with FreeBSD
>core is full of SJW

Woah so this is the power of autism

2018 is gonna be the year of linux, trust me on this, I can feel it

seems like a legit plot diagram, you can tell because it has lines, dots and a dropdown box

openbsd is better

CentOS 6.x and enjoy being left behind. systemd IS Linux now.

Everyone on core team is a self inserted retard that like to powertrip instead allow progress.
Fuck them.

That's it. I'm leaving normieloonix for OpenBSD

Redox OS.

This doesn't show ChromeOS stats. ChromeOS is basically an existential threat to real computing.

We should move to haiku especially if you have c++ skills. API is good and fun and good.

MACTARDS ABSOLUTELY BLOWN THE FUCK OUT LMFAO HEHEHEHEHE

M$ is finished and bankrupt!

Red Hat won. They're the overlords of Linux now. Whatever they do, everyone must follow
Linux is the new cuckOS, BSD is the future

And this happens because of distro what is most hated by Sup Forums

?

I told you guys in a thread two weeks ago

It was just me, literally I'm the only one.

Installed LXDE

Kek, Linux has more market share than "Other" now. But just slightly.

>have some chick on team
>she does some minor work under mentoring
>gets a job at Amazon
>abandons BSD dev team
>Gamer Gate happens
>twitter drama happens
>girl delivers 3 point ultimatum to core team
>BSD stands behind the grill
>another dev is fired because he talked mean things to her

They took the SJW blue pill.
Im truly sorry.

I'm not using BSD, I was just curious. Thanks for explaining!

Mac has been like that for a decade

Neither my USB/MIDI keyboard nor Wacom tablet have proper drivers for Linux, just generic ones that barely work, both very expensive pieces of tech

THIS THREAD IS PROOF THAT LINUX FAGS ARE BUTTHURT AT APPLE

He is right.

The change is due to ChromeOS hitting significant market-shares in the US with high school/college students.

Interestingly, ChromeOS market-share is almost nonexistent in Europe.

habbening

nah, It's not because of Arch.

Because their devices are pretty much nonexistent for average consumers. No one is shelling out 1.2K for a thing that is not a macbook.

why would anybody want that ?

Also I am for Europe and that OS looks like a downgrade ..even from windows.. it looks like android for desktop

>desktop pc numbers significantly reduced due to influx of cheap, high powered tablets and phones over the last few years
>many normies have no need for a desktop and just use their phone, tablet and smart TV to consume web content

Of course the marketshare increased. When actual use numbers increase significantly, then I'll get excited.

You forgot a decent DAW
Story time
>2010, decide to go full GNU, wipe Windows and install glorious Ubuntu 10.04 as the only OS
>Starting a band, record tons of demos with Ardour, compile low latency kernel, mess around with JACK, etc
>Band is starting to build fanbase, release some of those demos and even convert ppl into ditching propietary software.
>feelsgoodman.jpg
>Eventually get some money and buy my first laptop and audio interface. Came with win7 so I kept it that way bcs warranty
>In the meantime install a pirated Ableton Live 8 and start using it (knew the basics before I went full gnu)
>Start getting real jobs doing music for theater and stuff, stay in win7 bcs the clusterfuck of gnome3 happened
>FF to last weekend
>Found the hdd from my old desktop, them feels
>Find a folder full of old songs, 50% where not renderered but still have a lot of Ardour project files
>Install ardour in my linux partition just to check them out
>They wont open
>Search for a solution, none available, even find an answer from a dev stating he didnt know why their current version doesnt open proyects from older ones and suggest to build the proyect again with the recorded wavs
>New interface is a clusterfuck and a literal nightmare to work with hundred of useless options scattered randomly on the menus
>Reboot to win7, open Live and managed to recreate a track with the same wavs in 15"

Lesson learned
Linux for professional use, not even once.

wtf I'm moving my anime desktop to BSD now!

Windows XP had like 50-60% of the market in 2011 (+2y from 7's release), shit takes forever to shift, mostly because of schools/offices and 3rd worlders. If you look at it by region most people have already adopted 10 in the 1st world. Not to say that 10 is a good operating system, but the fact that globally it hasn't surpassed 7 yet isn't an indicator of how likely people are to upgrade. Windows users never like upgrading, but they always do.

It's real GNU/Linux, based on gentoo. It's locked down, but you can get into a terminal and gain root access.

99% of it is chrome os

>I am a retard so Linux is shit

Yes, but Windows XP didn't automatically update to 7 while its user was asleep. Also you seem to be skipping over XP keeping a huge marketshare while Vista came and went.

Did you even read the greentext or just the last part and asumed that was what the poster was implying?

Photoshop without emulators.

>33% in one month
holy fuck at this rate linux will have 100% in a year

>the poster
We all know it's you. I read it, you're just a retard.

Once you gnu linux, you never gno back.

I don't care why people are using it, I'm not trying to say that 10 is a good OS or that people are upgrading to it because they really like it. The point is it has already surpassed 7 in all 1st world markets and is rising in 3rd world markets too. Just as has happened with every Windows version so far we will see a very sharp drop in 7's market share as it gets closer to end of support, and where do you think that market share will go? Do you think those hundreds of millions of users will just move out of an ecosystem they've been in for their entire lives just because of some privacy concerns? If they cared about that stuff they wouldn't be using Windows in the first place, they will just upgrade to 10, or maybe 8.1, like the good cattle they are. People always predict a mass migration to [other OS] with every new Windows version as far back as I can remember and it's never happened.

Vista never gained a majority market share because XP's support lasted through Vista's lifespan. When it did end everyone mass migrated to the latest version (7). This happens every time a Windows version reaches end of support, what makes you think 10 will be any different? Because people on Sup Forums are vocal about not liking it? The world is bigger than Sup Forums.

Do I have a legit reason of using this over Linux?

>accept Windows 10

I've been using linux and bsd for years, but never dropped using windows as my principal desktop. Windows 7 will be my last one. Friends and relatives that move to 10 and who depend on me to fix their machines will be out of luck. That's not entirely true, a.) because I can always figure it out, and b.) because I'll be installing mint for them. I've already switched a couple of people. Garden variety users. They've had no complaints at all. Minor shit like some help getting netflix going, otherwise zip in the way of issues. You couldn't have done that a few years ago. So yes, it probably is on an upward trajectory.

>trying to save normies from botnet
You do know they're going to install their own, right?

That was just me distro hopping. Nothing to see here.

Also nerds installing loonix on all of their 10 netbooks.

>normies
>install their own

lol, pick one

>what is Steam
>what is almost every video game
>what is Skype

how do you even track this. majority of distros dont care about marketshare and dont track you using them.

Anway, my goal is to make my support role easier and more satisfying. I'm not an anti-botnet evangelist.

That's respectable.

botnet scripts on websites

If linux gets just a port for most common professional software apple is just finished, people are not going to give a fuck if is proprietary or not

kek good one