/pcbg/ PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1400 - If you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use, not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Good fucking luck even getting a VEGA right now

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM, 3200 MHz is ideal

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/TzywBP
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Used Xeon
Which ones?

ALL OF THEM

MOAR CORES
GET BIG

About to purchase most of the items needed for my first pc build tonight. I might wait while still thinking over 1070 vs 1080. I am extremely excited.

>1080 or 1070
What kind of games will you be playing and what kind of monitor do you want to use? Resolution, hz

What's your target usage?

>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p

pretty much sums it up

>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>Out of stock on Amazon, costs $150 on Newegg
Fuck off already and replace it with the AM4 Bristol Ridge APUs

Don't think I will be using it for 4k yet, might just go with the 107p and upgrade later if I want to

probably just 1080p

Not without reviews.

What games is that based on? Have yet to play a game my r9 390 does not do "1440p@60hz at high".

1070 is a solid choice. Go for it and you can enjoy maxing out any game at 1080p
1080 isn't much more powerful to be honest, 1070 is the ultimate value choice

>probably just 1080p
A 1070 will be just fine for that, unless you plan on changing monitor before a year or something.

The reviews doesn't matter, it's just a placeholder CPU until you can replace it with something better. Why would you want to spend more money now just to get a mediocre CPU and have to replace half your rig when you want to upgrade it instead of getting a cheaper CPU now that's servicable and that you can replace with any new CPU that's going to be released by AMD within the next 3-4 years?

What's considered multitasking on the R7 description in the OP? I like to watch King of the Hill, YouTube videos, Vlogs, browse Sup Forums while playing games. Will I benefit from the R7?

Recently bought a z170 board and 7700k and want to get a new case as well. My old one only has 2 front usb 3.0 and the two 2.0 ports there are busted. Anyone got any good recs for a case that isn't flashy, but has nice features like usb 3.1? I hate see through/glass panels and am shit at cable management. Plus the led lights on my ram, heatsink, and gpu don't match colors anyway.

Should I go with a 1060 6gb or the RX580 for my budget 1080p gaming machine?

Not really. The 1600 should handle that no problem.
It's more if you're streaming and recording while playing a game, for instance.

Open testbench.

For real though you can get a USB hub routed from the back of your case and mount it to the bottom of your desk,if you don't want to buy another case

Either, they're pretty closely matched. The 1060 uses a bit less power and runs a bit cooler, so if they're the same price go for 1060 6GB.

Whichever you can find cheaper. Performance is pretty much the same, but the rx480/580 are always out of stock or overpriced because of miners.

>excavator in 2017
kill yourself

>recommending 212 evo
into the trash it goes.

Building a pc for a friend but it's been a while since i researched for parts.
Other than browsing the web, all he does is photoshop so i assume a decent cpu with an ok integrated gpu would be enough for him.
Are intel integrated gpus good? or should i go for amd?
My options are: a6 7400k, a8 7650k, g4400 or g4560.
Budget should be around 110$ for a cpu.

>thinks most people need to waste their money on an 80 dollar fucking fan

it's a fine cooler for the price

tell him to wait for raven ridge

He needs it as fast as possible, probably buying it today.
He's also a tech illiterate so i doubt he'd be willing to wait for that AND there's also the fact that we both live in a third world country so those are pretty much my final options for a cpu.

5650 overclocked on gayming mobo

this is my pc
i think my mobo have static issues (audio from mobo have noises, from monitor no)
also pls cyberbully me on why my pc is fucking shit

It's not that terrible besides the shitty i3, pop an i7 in there and you should be fine. Get an external DAC/audio interface and you won't care about mobo audio anyway

>dual core
What year is it again

Ok thanks. I will save the extra money I would have spent on a 1080 for later.

wont there be a future issue? i dont want to die watching trap hentai
i dont play high end games anyway, yes, i question why i bought rx480 myself. i mostly do most of my work from lappy too.

i3 is fucking shit man why are your torturing yourself?
R3 1200 costs less and is way better.
The mobos are at $50 for AMD.
What is the issue?

If you're not experience crashes or anything like that I wouldn't worry about it. Motherboard audio is just shitty sometimes.

Time to start making purchases

pcpartpicker.com/list/TzywBP

i bought it a year ago ;..;

yep looking good.

Ok you are a dumb faggot for buying that only a year ago. I hope you at least got a good price...

1700x is on special $400aud delivered. not sure if i should go for it or not

it...it wasnt black friday or anything, bought at full price

Well that's just crap, you deserve to be bullied.

It's fine

Is Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-650FX 650W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan Compact 140mm Size Power Supply

A decent power supply for

Yes.

Cheers, thanks.

Good argument, you've made me realize buying a G4560 for $150 with a shit upgrade path is a better alternative

sry to bother everyone but im not american
>9.6" x 9.6"
pls convert them to english, its a mobo WxL

Need a last opinion on this since purchase time is approaching.
Please respond

use google you fucking idiot

go away

whats the unit, i looked up american unit and i dont know what the fuck im seeing
is '' = inch or feet?

Try both and see which one looks like the size of a motherboard. Are you actually retarded?

it costs $80

>MUH UPGRADE PATH!!!!
literally the only argument amd shills have. people buy g4560 for light shit like watching movies, browsing internet or playing the same old game for 10 years. they don't give a fuck about upgrade paths because they don't need a better cpu, that's why they picked a fucking pentium in the first place.
come back to shilling after it gets reviewed.

(You)

>He doesn't want it because it's being recommended heavily
Wow, how contrarian. You're so cool.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373

This was averaging $40 higher a month ago, jump in if you need a big SSD

Zotac mini 6gb 1060

Anyone have this? Whats your experience with the heat generation?

Was originally looking at the gigabyte version but there doesn't appear to be stock anywhere

>shitting on the best entry-level cooler available

Shit, might need to grab that instead of the 250g WD I was going to get

That's a good price.

>$900 worth of items in my amazon cart before a GPU
shieeeet

dump some of that RGB shit

have gpu prices gone up yet?

it's good at idle but stays cool under full load only by being loud as fuck. also it's a pain in the ass to install. be quiet! PURE ROCK or Cryorig H7 are much better alternatives and they're barely more expensive.
it's not 2011 anymore and better coolers have came out.

Good luck finding it for $80, and why the fuck would someone spend $80 for doing the stuff you described when a $50 CPU handles it just as well? The G4560 got popular because of the gaming performance, not the shit you described.

212 EVO can often be found as low as $20, and rarely over $25 (after mail-in rebate, admittedly)
H7 and Pure Rock hover relentlessly above $30, usually more like $35

They're better coolers than the EVO, I agree, but you are paying for it

How far can I realistically overclock my 1700x? I'm currently running it at 3.9Ghz and 1.35V.

FUCKING NOVIDEO KIKES
MY FREESYNC MONITOR WON'T WORK WITH THEM
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

If you can get them at the same price, the 580 is slightly faster on average(but uses more power).

you can probably push for 4.0GHz at around 1.45 volts
but if you're stable where you're at, I'd keep it there

That sounds about right. You can try 4, or 4.1 if you're lucky, but you won't get any higher than that.

??

>Spending fucking 1.5x as much on RAM as your CPU
This hurts. You really don't know what you're doing, do you?

they actually oc like shit compared to oldschool cpus

Holy FUCK, $215 for 16gb and it's only 2133mhz?? That's some next level rip off there

Thanks, I'll keep it at that then I think. I don't really want to go over the maximum recommended 1.35V.

Okay

Canada.

Oh so it's $50

duuuuuude

Looks great. That high wattage psu allows for a video card upgrade down the line if you ever want high frame rate 1440p. Enjoy your new pc, user, the 1070 is such a nice card.

whats the best (CPU, mobo, case) combo??
>dota2
>programming
>dual monitor (4k and 1080p)

>case

Thanks, I will be pulling the trigger on it later today.

r8

>not 3200MHz RAM

Cougar Evolution is actually a really nice-looking case, but why the fuck does it have SIX 5.25 slots instead of more 3.5/2.5 slots

see

get g.skill 3200 ram

i'm thingken of getting a new GPU before north korea nukes south korea and drives up the prices of memory

what's better value for money? 1070 or 1060?

i don't mind spending an extra 100 euros if it means i can squeeze an extra year out of the GPU's lifecycle or something

my CPU is an i5 2500k which i will probably overclock a bit soon

fuck bitcoin miners in the ass btw

might as well just get the 3200 RAM

8/10 pretty good but could do with a 1070 or 1080

best value for money is 1080

Is there even any practical difference between 3000 and 3200? I got the 3000 because it was particularly cheap.

3000 will downclock to 2933 on Ryzen mobos

Not really. Thing is, you can't expect your RAM to necessarily work at advertised speeds.