/tpg/ ThinkPad General

Previous thread: →

Non-retarded OP edition.

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) and P, T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BLfXXRfRIzY
aliexpress.com/item/t420/32292551810.html
ebay.com/itm/282555377410?ul_noapp=true
ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420-Windows-10-Laptop-i5-2520M-2-50GHz-4GB-Ram-250GB-Warranty/232194704148?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=531406136608&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649#viTabs_0
ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Windows-7-Laptop-i5-2520M-2-5Ghz-Wireless-One-Year-Warranty-/302327537047?var=&hash=item4664201d97:m:m78ri4TkpIPor6MLjoKIyTg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

finally the old general again, not that other bullshit with thoughbooks and sheit

Someone come to my house and do the x230 1080p mod for me.

yea no problem, soldering really isn't that hard
just a little bit of experience and that's it

>(will support Libreboot by 2018)
on what basis does the pastebin claim this?

Not him
Newfag to electronics modding/repairing
How do I solder?

lol watch this
youtube.com/watch?v=BLfXXRfRIzY

>purposeful splitting the threads
Kill yourself faggot

>tfw you run your finger around the soft rim trackpoint

I want to get a t420. How's the i7 with Nvidia compared to i5? I want to do some light gaming on it, emulating some ps2 games if possible so I'm thinking i7 with Nvidia. Also that one is the only I can find with 1600x900 screen out of the box.

Will do you good. Just reapply a good thermal paste.

What is better between x201 and x220 ?

X220

Experiences with the X1 Carbon 5th gen?

This. Get the X220t if it's not too much more.

In either case, if you're buying used, try and find an unopened new keyboard, it's a piece of piss to change and really makes typing a joy if there's any sign of wear on the existing one.

Anyone here with Chink batteries? How much do you think I could expect to get out of a Chink 9-cell, e.g. this:
>aliexpress.com/item/t420/32292551810.html
I have a T420 and thinking to use it for coding(in vim probably) and browsing. So how long do you think I could expect with that usage?

what's a good screen size?

how do I plug this trash into my tv for movies?

I need a ThinkPad for computer science college which is starting soon and I've been looking around like a mad man.

At first I saw this Yoga S1 with an i7 4500U and thought it looked like a good deal, about $650 (swiss francs tho, so it's more expensive) which used to be a showcasing model, so it shouldn't be used much, but it has a 1080p IPS display which is important to me.

Then I looked at more products and narrowed it down to x230-x240 and t430-t440, however none of these come with an IPS and I've read the xx30 has shit displays, while xx40 has shit clickpads.

The Yoga is generally not in the guide in the OP so I'm assuming there's something bad about it, can anyone give me their opinion here?

are refurbished tp's clean?

Displayport to HDMI.

Depends on the refurbisher.

Why do you need a 1080p IPS for CS?

>Displayport to HDMI.
audio works?

hi, im going to put a new mSSD on my T420 running linux.
Any advices ?
what do you think about Samsung mSSD 850 EVO ?

It does on my T420.

>TFW pulling it out of the cupboard after 4 years of not using it
>TFW years of using a work provided Surface Pro made you forget how beautiful a proper laptop keyboard is

It's limited to SATAII speed so there's no need to break the bank.

The thing is, a t440/x440 is around $550-$600 with 250gb SSD / 8GB RAM with shittier screens.

The S1 Yoga is just a little more expensive but offers better specs, however I don't know anything about its keyboard or other issues it could have.

yeah i just saw it, thank you user

I don't have personal experience but I believe the Yoga is a fair bit tougher to service than the standard Thinkpads. I am however, utterly convinced that anything past the change to chiclet keyboards is trash.

What are you gonna use it for?

That's a non-issue though, you won't even notice the difference in daily usage.

Same as the originals, it just degrades faster over time.

Literally nothing to back that claim, it's just hoping and praying someone outside of the current libreboot team comes up with a hardware modification to make it possible.

And then enjoy paying hundreds for someone to hard-mod your motherboard.

Is it worth it to buy a t440 over a t420?

videos

I upgraded from my T420 to a T440p only because of the FHD IPS possibility, performance in daily usage is similar.

Libreboot x220 when

I just got a new alienware screen for my t430, but I have the wrong LVDS cable. However I have an old dell inspiron that has a lvds cable that is the right length. I know that the pinout for lvds varies by laptop/manufacturer. Is there any site that shows the pinouts for different makes of lvds cables, or is this a non-issue because there is no crossover?

Then you have to judge for yourself how big screen you need. Otherwise if you are gonna carry it around much I would probably recommend something X220 sized, as I feel my T420 is a bit big(or maybe I'm just weak). For home use a T420 might be better since you get a bigger screen.

retard here, what's the noticeable difference among intel generations?

Level of backdoor and powerdraw.

is it worth buying a 440 and swapping the keyboard, or should i go for the 420?

>440
>swapping keyboard
wot

also 440 is crap soldered ULV shit, go for the 420

Does the same go for the 220 and 240?

Okay thanks. So I should be able to expect a few hours maybe?

Thursday X61t. So excited.

X240 is by far the worst modern one, just one RAMslot limits iGPU to death

Can this card be used with the X220?

ebay.com/itm/282555377410?ul_noapp=true

Please, help. The chip is the F5521GW ericsson, supposedly supported by the X220, but I'm not sure. It was taken out of a dell laptop. Is it okay to use?

any recommended thinkpads out there that can compete with a SP4?

Any, from what I've read.

Anyway, my X220 runs great. Refurb'd, 240$ (ish, it was 6500CZK)

no, both of those use the same processors however the X's one is soldered while the T's is not

oh you can only swap 430?

AND as a P.S.: from what I've seen, the SP4 is not really that modular. If shit breaks, you can't replace it easily. I bought the X220 because spare parts are plentiful and I can replace every single individual thing.

do refurbishers use good HDDs btw?
all they say is the storage space.
wondering if I should buy the cheapest and swap it out.

I recommend a T430, T530, or W530 with the nbidya graphics. **20 has had it's day.

t. owner of a T520 and X220

i7 t420
or
i5 t430

Not him, but I'm about to pull the trigger on a refurb X220 for $220 with i5 2.5 ghz and 320 gb hdd and 4 gb ram.

Or, there's a X230 for $280 with 8 i5 2.6 ghz 320 gb hdd and 8 gb of ram.

I'm mainly just looking for something to learn Mint on, write papers for school, research/browse the internet, and haul around with me. Are either of these a good purchase?

can you really emulate PS2 on this?

They only replace broken parts. If the HDD in the laptop they buy is not broken, they don't replace it. If it's broken, it depends if the refurbisher is a cheap kike.
My trusted seller uses Toshiba but I've never used an HDD for long. SSD is life.

cheapest 420/430 you can find + aftermarket quad core i7 upgrade

LOL, same workflow here. I translate and write papers for school on the X220. 4GB of RAM is enough IMO, but I've got 8 in it.

I have actually persuaded my boss to buy a refurb'd X230 and he liked it the day he bought it. Personally, I like the X220, but it's mostly bias.

Also, 60$ for 4GB ram difference is a lot.

I'd say you can't. This is from experience with my desktop (i5 4690k, Radeon 6870)

I know the GPU is old but compared to the dGPU in the T420 it's a beast. My PC can't emulate PS2 though. It's pretty demanding.

alright.
I like to use my device in bed though..(hence me using the fanless M3)
Im afraid of it dieing from dust and heat, this way.
Or should I just open it and clean it up regularly?
A modular SP would be nice..

Is it possible to remove the cd drive from T400 and T500 and replace it with some sort of placeholder?
The purpose is to reduce its weight since I will most likely never use the cd dirve.

>Is that really the only difference between the two is the ram and the keyboard? Because that doesn't seem worth it because I can always put 4 more gb of ram in the 220. I'm just trying to understand the difference on both before ordering.

didn't mean to greentext that

Well, I use my X220 in bed, but I put it on my legs, usually, with the side fan slots resting a little away. It is, however, built so that it goes

>in through the back
>in through the bottom
>out through the left

This way, you can put it in your lap and still have a little space for venting.

>Don't worry about greentexting stuff that's not supposed to be green, doesn't matter, buddeh :^)

Though I think the extra RAM might be worth it, I'd say the x220 would be the better buy. I'm biased towards the older keyboard though. It has a dedicated volume buttons, large ESC and DEL keys, you can use the function key to control audio(play/pause/stop etc.). Honestly for that, even if the typing experience MIGHT be better on the newer keyboard, the x220 wins out. Of course you can swap out the x230 keyboard for the older one but that's just extra money to do that on top of paying for the extra RAM. Then again, if money isn't that much of a concern, getting the extra RAM is worth it. Older RAM isn't really depreciating in value like hard drives are. A new keyboard isn't really all that expensive. It just depends on how much you want to spend.

Also, I've spent a few MINUTES with the keyboard, but it seemed almost as good.

As said: the X220 keyboard is better just because.

is the x201 an ok thinkpad?

Thanks, I'm not a huge fan of the chiclet keys, but I suspect they'll be quieter when taking notes in class. So I suppose I'll mull that over. The 220 and upgrading ram doesn't sound like a bad option for the time being though.

excellent!
Thanks for informing me, user!

HALP

Will any 40 pin lvds work or is there a risk of shorting something if I try?

>caring about key loudness in class
It depends on your writing style. I hear myself now a little on my regular keys, but it's really minor. If you hammer away, it will still be quite comfy to listen to. I wouldn't worry about it, user.

Glad to help!

>(hence me using the fanless M3)
throttle the processor and turn off the fan, boom m3 performance and noise

An empty HDD caddy could work. You can also use it as a drawer to store weed because of the easily removable ultrabay.

>Placeholder

Why? Just remove it. My buddy removed his and got through university without a placeholder.

what about the performance on these old (throttled) processors compared to the M3?
Is it really comparable?

if you can't emulate PS2 with an i5 of that gen you are doing something wrong

no idea but i doubt the difference would be worth spending an extra grand

about to bite the bullet lads.
which seller looks better?
ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420-Windows-10-Laptop-i5-2520M-2-50GHz-4GB-Ram-250GB-Warranty/232194704148?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=531406136608&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649#viTabs_0
or
ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Windows-7-Laptop-i5-2520M-2-5Ghz-Wireless-One-Year-Warranty-/302327537047?var=&hash=item4664201d97:m:m78ri4TkpIPor6MLjoKIyTg

It largely depends on the game. I emulated Melty Blood Actress Again on dual core 2GHz with integrated graphics without any stutters. That said, I was hoping to emulate Ace Combat on t420 with nbidia.

Where is the patch bro? I bought a couple of patches.

i just started at a company and they gave me a E130 connected to a bigass monitor as my workspace, is this normal?

Standard or tablet? I've had an X201t and an X220t and definitely preferred the latter. My father, on the other hand, is convinced that I've ripped myself off by giving him the X201t as a gift and would never swap it for my X220t.

fair enough

sorry, I meant the standard
i didn't even consider the tablet versions yet, so i'm glad to hear your insights on them

buying a refurbished tp for the first time. How do I know if the battery is good? Should I buy it swapped out?

To be perfectly honest, the only reason I went for the tablet over the regular is to play OSU!.

>How do I know if the battery is good?
Just assume all batteries are going to be used and shitty, if you happen to receive a good battery consider it as a bonus.

Almost no way of knowing when buying, you can check the age of the battery with the power utility, I've gotten lucky with mine but I have friends who've bought from the exact same supplier and gotten trash.

It's a good computer. The X6 series is all god-tier laptops.

A275/A475 when?

So I've heard. Next on my list is an X40 or X41 (regular, not tablet). The 4x series attracts me like no other generation. The T41 is fucking amazing.

>you can check the age of the battery with the power utility
ah great

bumping this
help

or

I don't know much about X4's
Other than the user above witb his spam
How good are they?

I don't like the shininess of the front left corner of the second one. It looks like it's been jostled in a bag a lot. The first one is somewhat suspicious because it's 'grade 2' but looks a lot cleaner in the pictures.

I haven't owned one but I've used a friend's X40 occasionally and I can tell you, they're among the best. They're Pentium CPUs with up to 1.6GHz an RAM is limited to 2GB so you're gonna have to make sure to use Windows 2000 (XP doesn't feel great on them) or a lightweight Linux Distro.
Aside from performance, if I ever had to kill someone I'd probably beat them to death with an X40/X41. That's how solid they are. I could just hit them on the head a few times, then sit on their corpse and post OC on Sup Forums.

I own a T420, and I've had it for a couple years now, but I think I'd like to get another thinkpad with a 4:3 AR now (or any other "boxy" AR, I'm not sure what options they offered throughout).

What would be a good choice for similar specs to the T420 but with a 4:3 screen? The X220?