Is booting from NVME a meme?

Is booting from NVME a meme?

Yes

kill you'reself

no if you're spending 3k+ on your PC you absolutely want that shit

my PC boots in 6 seconds get on my level GOML

do you only keep your OS and programs on it? if so, what size would you recommend? I was thinking about 250GB just for Win + programs.

Do not listen to Everyone knows it is the future of PC performance! Buy it now user!

Yes and no.

It technically boots into windows faster than SATA SSD, BUT because you're initializing a PCIe boot device during the POST process, it generally takes longer to POST, and therefore the overall boot process is longer.

Loading the OS itself is faster on NvME, but since the POST is extended, it's a net loss.

disclaimer: install the absolute minimum programs, all media files go on a separate drive

after living with a 128gb boot drive for 4 years of my life 500gb is more than enough for me

if you have space issues there are all kinds of tricks like clearing large temp files from appdata, symlinking large files from another drive, having a fast internet connection helps loads cause you can just stream all your media, but really this is a giant pain in the ass so if you think you're gonna have trouble with these things and can't afford 500gb of nvme you might wanna go with a regular ssd. depends if you wanna keep all your games and shit on the ssd

doesn't windows 10 with EFI skip all that initialization stuff on a reboot?

Maybe on a reboot, not sure. On a cold boot it wouldn't.

Yes unless you have autism because only people with autism care about boot time

what exactly are you suggesting?

I was thinking of a 250gb nvme for booting and programs + a 1 tb ssd for media and shit. But actually has a point. Hm...

idk do what the fuck you want man

the BIOS time is only for cold reboots

mutha fucka what did you just call me

Is NVMe worth it if my PC only has PCI express 2.0?

I might be a bit late, but boot times are similar.
Only get nvme if the programs you use can take advantage of the extra speed over an ssd.

It's never worth it IMHO. Unless you are a professional photo/videographer who has to transfer gigantic files on a daily basis (I'm talking huge 4K or 8K videos and big .RAW photo compiles) you will not profit from nvme at all.

For 95% of all possible users, you will not notice any difference between nvme and a regular SSD. The amount of speed increase in a regular user task is about the duration of a blink of an eye, if anything.

A U T I S M

>Buy it now user!
Why? Bootup times are the last thing I really care about

a 512 GB 960 pro is my only drive.

Don't you run out of space? You know it is advisable to keep a bit of the drive free to promote longevity, right?

Please stop the bullshit.

M.2/NVMe is way ahead for random-access workloads, like realistic file copying.

Please stop the bullshit. Unless you have a source that's just as fast to copy from, the speed of your SSD is completely irrelevant. Most people use an SSD for a boot drive and hard drives for storage. You're not going to be fucking copying anything back and forth between the two at a speed that any SSD can't sleepwalk through. The same goes for any general desktop usage.

Unless you have a specific use case scenario where you're copying between multiple NVMe SSDs on a regular basis, they're absolutely fucking pointless. Enjoy trying to justify dropping money on one to store your video gaymes on though, retard.

I thought it was a meme, then I bought the meme.
Now I no longer think it is a meme.
Seeing is believing with SSDs.

an nvme has no advantages regarding the OS over a nice simple ssd

to be honest unless you are working with big ass files 30-40gb or video edit 4k/8k raw files then no nvme is just a meme

get a simple reliable 120gb ssd for OS and basic programs
and a big fast ssd 500+gb for games and heavy programs

If you have a regular SATA SSD, the bottleneck in your PC is not your drive already, for any conceivable use and for any purpose.

>sata and nvme drives are the same

I implied exactly the opposite.

m.2 is a meme
nvme is not

>Don't you run out of space
nah, I don't hoard.

Retard. See:
>Unless you are a professional photo/videographer who has to transfer gigantic files on a daily basis
and: nvme is useless for anyone but professionals with regular handling of very large files, especially considering the enormous cost difference to a regular SSD.

We're talking about nvme here, not regular SSDs. Nobody is disputing the advantage of SSD over HDD.

It depends.

Do you transfer multiple gigantic files on a daily basis?
Do you need to read and/or write files daily that are in the league of 10gb + ?
Do you edit large batches of raw photos or edit complex 4K videos?
If the answer is yes, then you will profit from nvme.

Do you work with regular sized files and occasionally some larger?
Do you edit regular pictures or edit HD videos and occasionally something more complex?
Do you want something that stores and runs your games with good speed?
If the answer is yes, then get a good SSD, because you will not profit from nvme.

SSDs are replacing HDDs and once 4K has become the new standard, we will witness SSDs being replaced. However, until then a lot of time will go by and it is arguable whether nvme will still be around at that point or if it will be replaced by something better.

3x1 TB WD Blue SATA 6GB/s 64MB cache 7200 RPM in Raid 5 for $HOME/Documents, $HOME/Movies, $HOME/Music, $HOME/Downloads, $HOME/Desktop, $HOME/Images, $HOME/Archive
1 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA 6GB/s for /, /boot, /boot/efi
I've never used more than 50GiB on EVO

>Unless you have a source that's just as fast to copy from, the speed of your SSD is completely irrelevant.
Dude I am regularly copying from my SSD onto the very same SSD. Whenever I run a game installer.

>You're not going to be fucking copying anything back and forth between the two at a speed that any SSD can't sleepwalk through.
I am regularly extracting a lot of smaller files. E.g. every Nvidia graphics driver installer should be extracted and all folders that you do not need (GeForce Experience, etc.) should be deleted. As above, similar workload like copying. Also for extraction NVMe SSDs are superior.

>Retard. See:
>
Great post my friend. You realize that my post was referencing that exact post?

Apparently not.

>nvme is useless for anyone but professionals with regular handling of very large files, especially considering the enormous cost difference to a regular SSD.
As you can see from the benchmark image I posted above, it is a mix of files, totaling 10 GiB -- it clearly says "Dateimix (10 GB)" (in German). It is not about large files, but a large number of small files, and the sum of the file sizes in large.

For exactly that kind of usage pattern (copying a large number of small files) NVMe SSDs are great.

Conclusion:

NVMe SSDs for life!

Are you pretending to be retarded?

> Is booting from NVME a meme?
yes, why would you reboot your machine ???

Are you?

>it is a mix of files, totaling 10 GiB
>It is not about large files, but a large number of small files

See: >read and/or write files daily that are in the league of 10gb +

>HURR IT'S 10GB IN SMALL FILES, NOT ONE SINGLE 10GB FILE, THEREFORE I'M RIGHT!
I'm starting to suspect you're genuinely retarded.

Also since when does a regular home user push around files weighing 10gb on a daily basis? You're just an idiot trying to justify his autism.

I just got this for my new Ryzen PC: Samsung 960 EVO SSD 500 GB M.2
I also have a 850 EVO 500 GB in it for extra storage which previously had the OS in it. Feels pretty good. When the SSD prices drop in the future I can get a third one but this should hold pretty well for now.

>HURRR BECAUSE I DO NOT HAVE ANY USE FOR IT, NOBODY HAS
Dude the benchmarks show that I am right.

And I have actually do have these kind of workloads (as already written).

So do you have any substantial evidence that shows the contrary? No? I thought so.

>And I have actually do have these kind of workloads (as already written).
Not him, but I seriously doubt you can tout some occasional game install/driver update as your regular workload.

kernel and systemd updates

Just run two sata SSDs in RAID 0. Similar performance, less cost.

when you say 6 seconds, do you mean from the time you pressed the power button?

For almost the cost of a 500 GB M.2 NVMe you could even create a RAID5 with 3 250 SSD

What about the Microsoft-mandated, obligatory, good-boy drive scans by Windows Defender, mandatory in Windows 10?

I don't even know what you're talking about. My last windows os was xp.

>systemd
botnet

The form factor is great, plug it in directly to the mobo.

The only downside right now really is the heat they output and the subsequent performance throttle

>BUT because you're initializing a PCIe boot device during the POST process,
wut
I can't even see my POST messages because my screen keeps changing resolution on boot. 5-10 seconds from button press to windows/fedora login screen.

Then you have a VERY rare BiOS, or you've got a super minimal hardware install.

On my computer with 3 PCIe device (Wifi card, GPU, and M.2 NvME boot drive). As well as 4 hard drives (3x4TB & 5TB) and a 480GB SATA SSD. And 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) quad channel RAM.

POST takes ~15-25 seconds to initialize everything and verify RAM and shit.

With JUST an M.2 drive installed and 8GB of Dual channel RAM with maybe a single HDD or SSD sure you can get your POST down to 5-10 seconds, but you'll have short POST regardless of the M.2 drive since you're barely initializing any hardware besides.

you will never know and even if he responds, it would be a lie anyways

Random access isn't the same as copying files across drives. How stupid are you? Random IO is literally the metric that counts for every day usage and NVMe beats the shit out of SATA in that regard. I don't give a shit about the 2+Gb/s transfer speeds.

Laptop uses nvme m.2
I use hibernate instead of sleep because it boots up so fast

I love my systemd and my systemd loves me

I have 250gb right now with 110gb in use. they have similar prices between nvme and normal SSD. If we talk about samsung drives. I always have samsung drive, so I don't know how other brands works.

>muh miliseconds
>I totally notice the difference!

Enjoy your placebo, you dumb piece of shit.

>most of the booting time is userspace (systemd)
botnet confirmed

>I boot only the kernel
kek
btw, I've 32 GB of RAM and half of it is my playground on /dev/shm & /tmp
most of my day-to-day processes (like firefox) run in firejails in RAM
I literally laugh at your worries on access times

>rebooting your machine in 2017
lol, only windows users think a fast boot time is impressive

show uptime

I just got an NVMe drive. I don't often transfer large files, so no, I don't see any perceptible difference in my day to day use (mostly programming and some music production). I only bought it because the price was good and I wanted to put my old SSD into my laptop which still had an HDD. If you already have an SSD, and don't specifically do tasks that take advantage of NVMe, I wouldn't bother.

>tfw 950 pro 512gb in current build
>tfw bought it just to have fast ssd performance
>gaymen off it even
>tfw cost never came into it

Whats the matter user? Priced a nudge out of the allowance your mum gives ye?

this was me too.

Cost didn't even come into it really, it's faster and my motherboard has an M.2 NvME slot.

>950 pro
>not 960 evo
lol enjoy your shit speeds

yes and no.
There is next to no benefit to an nvme over sata functionally outside of few outlier cases where you work in raw files with no compression.

practically however, you want a sata that will handle 400mb read (this is the point where so long as you sustain over, 99% of programs do not benefit from more) 24/7 so you are never hamstrung by performance, and the only drives that will do that cost as much as 200-500mb nvmes so if there is no clear price advantage, why not just get the nvme so in the few instances where its does preform heads and shoulders above the rest, you can rise to the occasion?

NVMe is really fucking nice, and allows you to dedicate all available SATA ports to larger storage drives.

Not that user

but you never heard of config files user?
A single .Bat can make windows load much faster then usually non-nerds don't know this.

Also you can disable BIOS set up boot drives if you only have one or two it has to check every boot you can load files 3X times faster.

>POST takes ~15-25 seconds to initialize everything and verify RAM and shit.
In 1997, maybe.
>POST
>current year

>And I have actually do have these kind of workloads (as already written).
>Dude I am regularly copying from my SSD onto the very same SSD. Whenever I run a game installer.
This fucking guy.

This is a lie, M.2 (PCIe) is a high level protocol and as such initializes and reads later in the startup process than SATA. This means that the discrepancy between boot times actually favors SSDs through SATA rather than NVMe.

yeah. this is with windows 10 EFI, soft reboot

i also disabled as much as possible in the BIOS like SATA ports, extra USB controllers etc. my only drive is a 500gb nvme

I did this. i really like the small size, and want to put all my stuff in a dancase now

>symlinking large files from another drive
>tfw people forget that Windows had had the ability to symlink since XP

ok so i just went and did a test it's actually 11 seconds from when i hit power. i would post a video cause people keep calling me a liar but i don't have a stopwatch other than on the phone i would be using to record it

Why would you care about cold booting time at all?
Do you have expensive electricity and couldn't afford PC to be turned on 24/7? Use Sleep function.
Are you scared of catching a fire? Use UPS.

I reboot my windows box once in a month or even three. I don't have UPS. Electricity bills are pretty high (~40 USD/month). Yet I don't turn off my PCs ever.

You can't say that you don't reboot your windows PC. 10 has an update like once a week

I had only two-three reboots because of windows updates since April 2017.
Let's see how much time I wasted on NVME compared to SSD.
3 reboots * 15 seconds waiting for POST = fucking 45 seconds over 5 months. Definitely, NVME is a meme for booting ;)

Not to mention even if it reboots for updates it does so when I go to sleep (you can set this up in the settings), so when I wake up I don't see any booting, just log in and that's all. So it actually much less than a minute if you think about it.