Should i buy a gtx 1080 now or wait for the volta to come out ?

should i buy a gtx 1080 now or wait for the volta to come out ?

Other urls found in this thread:

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/3918vs3603
devblogs.nvidia.com/parallelforall/inside-volta/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you want 4k@60 right now 1080/Ti, if you want smooth 4k wait a couple years.

i don't care about 4k i just care about having good fps. i play on 1080p but my monitor can go up to 1440p but it was blacking out on that.

back in the old days everyone always said the gpu is the most important to make games run smooth. now it seems the trend is everyone says all these games are cpu based so i dont know what to think anymore.

1080ti will be great for both for years to come.

i dont know how accurate or how trustworthy this site is but it seems not to be worth the extra money.

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/3918vs3603

Wait for Nvidia Volta GV102 GTX 2080 Ti

Dual nVidia K80s.

That's because they're benching all the games at 1080p, a 1070 or 1060 can max most games at 1080p. The 1080Ti will show bigger differences at 1440p and above.

Only 1080p game that the 1080 is not capable of playing at 60fps is probably Quantum Break, as the game is extremely demanding. The 1080Ti can however, but doesn't hit 60fps at 1440p. Fucking realtime global illumination.

volta is dead. go 1080ti (or vega if you can find it at msrp).

I ran a 1060 in a old lga 755 dual core system. Yes you need at least 4 physical cores to handle games.

1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz

GPU is definitely the bottleneck

Cpu matters, but only to a certain extent.

1. that website is shit for gauging anything

2. If the best card is 25% stronger than the second best card, that's a fucking lot

It depends on the game, GTA V at 144Hz is going to be CPU bound, but 4K@60Hz will be GPU bound.

1070 will be absolutely enough

Volta.
1080 performance as 1170 (1070) price range.
Maybe even 1060 price range if they got things right.

Also, better HWEnc/Dec (if you need) and probably better Vulkan/DX12 + some new tech, as always. I dare say maybe even AV1 if that shit freezes soon(tm) enough.

No AV1 hardware decoding because no spec finalization until today and Volta GeForce GPUs already taped out and under testing at Nvidia for next year's launch

First GPU family with fixed function AV1 hardware decoding will be post Volta

You are retarded if you play at anything other than native resolution. The downscaling calculations are Fucking your fps.

There is no reason to get any card other than 1080ti or vega. Get one of those or wait it out till volta releases in 9 months.

Just wait and buy a 1080 Ti when it's previous gen.

And the only reason I recomend 1080ti is because the ti will have resale value of a few hundred when you upgrade to the 1180 ti 6 months after volta releases.

If its anything like this gen, 1170 will be equal or better than 1080ti.

It will literally lose half its value the moment Volta releases. Buying any high end card with the intent to upgrade within 1 generation is the fastest way of losing money with GPUs.

but it won't be because no node change.

GTX 980 begs to differ, 28nm, no node change, faster than GTX 780 Ti

Not the 970 though and they'll probably release weak shit sold for high prices thanks to AMD dropping the ball.

1060 or rx480 are plenty for 1080p
1070/vega56 are plenty for 1440p

i just picked up a 1080 for $465. i'm well aware volta is around the corner but as long as i bought the 1080 for cheap and know that i wont lose a lot of money once it comes time to sell it then i'm fine with buying one this late.
AMD fucked up vega launch way too hard in the US so i was forced to just go nvidia again, which isn't even a problem since i got a cheaper card that will perform better than vega 56/64.

>Buying any high end card with the intent to upgrade within 1 generation is the fastest way of losing money with GPUs.
Right, you should only buy a GPU based on the performance you need / want now.

>i just picked up a 1080 for $465
Not bad, was it new?

Maxwell brough TBR.
Volta is all about compute and simplified memory management.

No

devblogs.nvidia.com/parallelforall/inside-volta/

>The new Volta SM is 50% more energy efficient than the previous generation Pascal design, enabling major boosts in FP32 and FP64 performance in the same power envelope.

Please stop posting if you're an clueless ignorant moron that doesn't know anything

nope used but en evga model which means i'll have access to their transferable warranty. only thing that worries me is it's a ftw model which i've read has heating issues, going to update its bios and if that doesn't help with the heat i'll buy a block for it and add it to the custom loop.

>throw moar ALU and do a half-node shrink
>claim 50% efficiency "increase" per SM
Whoa.

>only thing that worries me is it's a ftw model which i've read has heating issues, going to update its bios and if that doesn't help with the heat i'll buy a block for it and add it to the custom loop.
I had an EVGA 1070 FTW edition die on me despite having the "fixed" bios installed. They replaced it of course but I had to cover return shipping which was complete bullshit.

I've since upgraded to an MSI 1080Ti but the 1070 they sent back works fine.

this.

GTX1070 and Vega 56 are built for 1080p and 1440P gaming.

the 1080 and 1080 TI are for 1440 to 4K
with MSAA off the 1080 can get you into 4k at the mid level.

even a 1070 or Vega 56 on 4k with all extra settings turned off like MSAA and motion blur off , god rays off can get you into basic 4k

the problem being if you want all setting turned on you need a 1080 TI
but its not the only card for 4k, just the only one that can run ultra with out turning into a stutterfest.

the lowest entry card into 4k is beleive it or not is a R9 290 with all extra settings turnned off.

You are thinking of something else.

Specifically you are thinking of rendering at 1440p, then downscale to 1080p. They are talking about just the monitor and GPU running at 1080p. There is no downscale.

My undervolted/overclocked RX Vega 56 is a fucking beast. I can't wait for the full fat drivers. Hitting around 23,000 in Firestrike. Games running smooth and silky. Power usage is only a bit above a 1070 too but giving me 1080 performance. Paid £380.