/homeserver/

/home server/ thread?
I could really use some assistance for building my NAS.

Issue: Not really important, long as it supports ZFS.

CPU: Xeon E5
Issue: I don't know the amount of ghz to target nor how many cores I need. My use case is local file storage for myself only, but I want it to be blazing fast.

RAM: ECC DDR4 ??GB
Issue: No clue how much ram I need. Apparently ZFS uses minimum 8GB, so I'm guessing I should target 16~64GB.

MOBO: Anything that supports 64GB ECC ram

CASE: Cheap rackmount
I choose a rackmount because I currently have 17 drives, so it'll need to support 17+ bays.

OS Drive: 128GB SSD.
Ditto.

The most expensive component seems to be the rackmounts. 24-bay racks are looking at $1200+?..This is going to end up costing more than my main damn rig. What am I doing wrong

Other urls found in this thread:

jrs-s.net/2015/02/03/will-zfs-and-non-ecc-ram-kill-your-data/)
youtube.com/watch?v=yAuEgepZG_8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump, or maybe I should just buy a prebuilt NAS and put a custom distro + zfs on it.

>What am I doing wrong
being poor

>not spending $10k+ at least on your entry level server

get out

Get a hp microserver if you wanna start off but you know how to install centos.

Get a Synology shitbox if you're a normie like me.

The cheapest way to stuff a lot of drives in a rackmount case are those generic Rosewill 4U cases that Newegg sells. Those only have fifteen bays though, and they aren't hot-swap. But for like 90 burgers you can forgive a lot of sins.

For ZFS, well, yeah, you want ECC, but if you can't get it, it's not the end of the world like some people would have you believe. (for an explanation as to why, go here: jrs-s.net/2015/02/03/will-zfs-and-non-ecc-ram-kill-your-data/) As for amount of memory, that depends mostly on your performance requirements. Which generally aren't large, for a home user. The bigger decision you'll have to make is how you're going to lay out your array - RAIDZ has better space efficiency, mirrors are easier to expand incrementally.

Why is this so expensive?
I can understand if it was a server for a small business, but its literally just me accessing my damn anime on a local network, granted it's a lot of storage(30TB)

I have an old Synology shitbox already and it's not gonna cut it. I'll have to look at the specs of an hp microserver.

>Those only have fifteen bays though
That's good enough. I can just buy 2x and link them.

>that depends mostly on your performance requirements
I'm using this as if I had a regular HDD attached to my main rig, that is all.

>he bigger decision you'll have to make is how you're going to lay out your array
Oh no, I'm not doing RAID. It's JBOD since this is just my backup server. I'm going to use a program to sync the files between my main drives.

2 cores are good enough.
1.5 x tb = ram

you don't need ddr4, ddr3 is perfectly fine and cheaper
you don't need 128gb for the os specially since you are not investing in enterprise grade hardware
you don't need ecc because you will not have any advantage of it since you are not working in an enterprise field where data corruption and data loss is crucial

you want shit you don't need, that you don't know how to take advantage of. you are literally throwing money out for no valid reason.

buy a shitty ryzen 5, buy some ram, buy a fractal design case, buy some drives and a psu. you will be at 800 alone for 4x4tb drives. if you want cut power costs then you need a controller that can do jbod, which is still shit and not recommended for zfs. that controller should be capable of staggered spinup, you can then invest less in a psu and scale relatively high on drive capacity, while only having draw backs on the boot time

>>I'm using this as if I had a regular HDD attached to my main rig, that is all.
Then you don't need piles of memory or L2ARCs or anything. Saturating gigabit ethernet with sequential reads/writes from one source is easy.

>Oh no, I'm not doing RAID. It's JBOD since this is just my backup server. I'm going to use a program to sync the files between my main drives.
then what the fuck were you going on about ZFS for? The whole point of ZFS is using RAID to protect data. JBOD doesn't protect data at all, if a drive dies, well, whatever's on it is gone. If you want that just use LVM.

>Why is this so expensive?
Because they're quality cases.

>I can understand if it was a server for a small business
You're basically building this

>granted it's a lot of storage(30TB)
No its not.

>not having 40GbE

just look at the hdd prices and you will see that storage in large amounts will be the highest expense you will have. hp microserver as suggested is a good start. look at the drive compatibility list and hp doesnt cuck you and supports > 4gb, though 10tb drivers are really expensive. and your anime ain't worth shit

>you don't need 128gb for the os
I choose 128 because I can barely find any decent SSD that's lower than that amount.

>you don't need ecc because you will not have any advantage of it since you are not working in an enterprise field where data corruption and data loss is crucial
actually data corruption and loss is pretty cruical. I really do not want to lose my anime, but I'll get regular ram then.

>need a controller that can do jbod, which is still shit and not recommended for zfs
why is jbod shit for zfs?

>then what the fuck were you going on about ZFS for?
I thought ZFS protected against file corruption since it uses checksums. This also means I dont have to worry about defragging.

>JBOD doesn't protect data at all, if a drive dies, well, whatever's on it is gone
that's fine, it's just a mirror and can be easily replaced.

>No its not.
30TB isn't a lot for a consumer? Well ok.

I was planning on buying refurb 3TB's for $55.

$550 = 30TB.

> and your anime ain't worth shit
the anime thing was a joke. I have

>You're basically building this
What is that? Prebuilt NAS?

>i have important data
>I'm going to get non-ecc ram and poorfag the rest of this build with desktop class HDDs

>I thought ZFS protected against file corruption since it uses checksums. This also means I dont have to worry about defragging.
you dont need an ssd for the os! you need a god damn usb stick and that's it

>actually data corruption and loss is pretty cruical. I really do not want to lose my anime, but I'll get regular ram then.
you don't understand what data corruption or data loss implies. your shitty anime will rott on this thing. the only time when modify the capacity is when you eventually add some more shitty animu. for these cases ecc is completely useless. you are not working with constant data transfers that could potentially harm your shitty animu. learn2ecc

a storage is not a backup. a backup is an offline copy of data. if your disks are connected to anything and running, the chances of the data being destroyed by random power outages or drivers going bad is much higher. learn 2 differ between backup and data redundancy.

>I thought ZFS protected against file corruption since it uses checksums. This also means I dont have to worry about defragging.
again learn2ecc also learn2zfs

>that's fine, it's just a mirror and can be easily replaced.
you don't understand the fundamentals of zfs as a technology itself. zfs does not work raid and works terribly with controllers because of controller cache etc

do yourself a favor and read. you make it obvious that you don't understand the fundamentals, and you'd be just wasting money and endup with a unstable piece of shit because you can't trust on your own knowledge and would always rely on others to help you out. also you don't need any of it, you will grow out of animu at some point and will have wasted thousands of dollars on something that will be essentially worthless to you. find a hobby which is less garbage and drives you to consumerism in order to make you think you are happy

I do it to tinker and test crap before rolling out to work since no real test env. Currently rebuilding my system center stack

Currently rebuilding my env on loaded up R610

You don't need ECC. ECC is literally a fucking meme in a home environment unless you're doing professional flows through compute units. Back your shit up on multiple drives (ensure some of them remail offline in secure storage) and stop being a brainlet who likes to waste money so they can feel elite.

You got a bunch of trash tier data that can be duplicated across 3-4 Western digital blue drives. Learn how to manage your compute/data resources and stop trying to join the league of LARPers who go to excess for dumbshit reasons.

>desktop class HDDs
My data's important but I'm not rich enough to buy fucking 30TB of enterprise SAS drives. That shit would cost me 10k+. I'm fine with replacing a failed drive every 5 years.

My current drives have been running 24/7 for 7 years, no issues. They're also SATA, and refurbs.

>you dont need an ssd for the os! you need a god damn usb stick and that's it
I know but I may as well just pay $50 for a cheap ssd.

>you are not working with constant data transfers that could potentially harm your shitty animu
I'm a data hoarder so I actually am constantly transferring files. I have 7million images that I'm indexing(hydrus network + gelbooru/pixiv/myfigurecollection siterips)

>again learn2ecc also learn2zfs
well obviously I need to learn thats why im asking. if i knew i wouldnt have made this thread

>zfs does not work raid and works terribly with controllers
I dont understand. I said im not doing RAID. I'm just throwing a bunch of hdds in my case with ZFS as the file system. Is this somehow not right?

If the server motherboards you are looking at buying only has 9 x SATA3 but you are looking at buying one of those meme cases that have like 24+ bays how do you get more than 9 drives with that board?
Don't know much about HBAs but is that what I'm looking for?

Why not just buy something like an old dual socket 1366 with two X5650 and put it in a different case? Would cost pretty much nothing. For home use it really isn't going to matter that much.

>ECC is literally a fucking meme in a home environment
Its not, i've had modules go bad and I found out through the ECC error messages in the SMBOIS log. And its generally a bigger problem than bit rot.

>Back your shit up on multiple drives
wont do a damned bit of good when it is corrupted in memory

>stop trying to join the league of LARPers who go to excess for dumbshit reasons.
i'm with 288GB DDR3 ECC and 16x 4TB enterprise class HDDs. ECC memory isnt expensive.

they make enterprise class SATA drives too

> I'm fine with replacing a failed drive every 5 years.
you dont know what unrecoverable disk errors are do you? or why enterprise class disks exist? they have one to two orders of mangitude better error rates.

Actually want to build small render farm for my own needs.
Dont really know what rout to take with GPU accelerated renders,card prices,or slap cheapo EPYC and call it a day.

you either get a lot of HBAs or you get a backplane with a SAS expander. or you get a hba/raid card with a integrated expander like my areca 1883ix-24

>I know but I may as well just pay $50 for a cheap ssd.
look kiddo. you are crying about costs but want to waste 50$ on an ssd which you won't even use 10% of. 10$ for a 16gb usb stick and you have 40$ for other resources that are important. stop being an unreasonable retard. if you go by that logic then buy an enterprise solution for a couple of thousand.

>I'm a data hoarder so I actually am constantly transferring files. I have 7million images that I'm indexing(hydrus network + gelbooru/pixiv/myfigurecollection siterips)
what impact does it have on the real world? how much of the 7million images do you view on a weekly basis how much of the 30tb animu do you watch?

>well obviously I need to learn thats why im asking. if i knew i wouldnt have made this thread
you are just being a fucking lazy fuck and you know it. you just want to get a silvers poon handed without thinking much.

re-evaluate your life kid. you are trying to solve problems that don't exist

So your data is important but you're going to spread it across ten refurbed desktop drives with zero redundancy whatsofuckingever, you're trying to keep costs down but want to blow $50 on a literally fucking useless part? What in the fuck is your use case even about, are you trying to use it as a ghetto RAID1 (except even more unreliable) on a remote location with a goddamn fucking shitload of excess processing power because you can?

Just get a fucking 12-bay NAS and be done with it. It'll be infinitely cheaper, faster, easier to set up and more reliable than whatever that unholy twisted shitfest is that you're trying to plan here.

What's the difference?

>tfw my home server cost 0 dollars

>tfw also it looks like this

pray for poor people like me, server runs well though. Plex, Nameserver, Mailserver, Wireless for the home 2.4 and 5 Ghz, PoE, switch etc.

using a usb stick for my main server os is degenerate im not doing it.

>what impact does it have on the real world?
That's irrelevant.

>how much of the 7million images do you view on a weekly basis
I personally dont view it but the program that I'm using does routine maintenance checks which indexes it for integrity reasons

>you are trying to solve problems that don't exist
My main HDD's dying and having no backups is definitely a problem that exists. If you want to be a childish ass about(which you are) it then you can fuck right off.

backplanes are hard to find which aren't already soldered to a tray or designed for specific cases. sata hubs used to be a thing and backblaze used them in their first iterration of storage boxes iirc. expanders cards are expensive and infiniband cables are too

>plex
literally why

>spread it across ten refurbed desktop drives with zero redundancy whatsofuckingever
RAID is a meme.
youtube.com/watch?v=yAuEgepZG_8

>but want to blow $50 on a literally fucking useless part
Why the hell are you so stuck up about me buying a damn cheap SSD? This isnt even a crucial part of the build.

>shitload of excess processing power
Did you read the OP?
I intentionally left everything blank because I'm debating how much power I need

>using a usb stick for my main server os is degenerate im not doing it.
you are a fucking retard kid. you know why servers like the r6XX series from dell have redundant sdcard slots inside the chassie? because they mirror the sd cards for operating systems like esxi which needs like 50 fucking megs and runs in ram afterwards.

>That's irrelevant.
>I personally dont view it but the program that I'm using does routine maintenance checks which indexes it for integrity reasons
whats the point in having the data, it costs you money to maintain it with absolutely no benefit. take your "server money" and visit a shrink and get your hoarding fixed.

>My main HDD's dying and having no backups is definitely a problem that exists. If you want to be a childish ass about(which you are) it then you can fuck right off.
nigger im giving you advice and you are ignorant and dumb. im wasting my time on a god damn ignorant man child who has no self control over his own impulses of not clicking a download button. you are fucking degenerate kid, go back to Sup Forums

nigga that's ghetto as fuck

What else should I use for streaming to my TV, Phone, Laptop and computer?

>because they mirror the sd cards for operating systems like esxi which needs like 50 fucking megs and runs in ram afterwards.
Is it that hard for you to ignore the fact that I want a damn cheap SSD for my boot.

>whats the point in having the data
Because I don't like relying on fickle online sources which tend to purge said data. Having it offline gives me a sense of safety knowing that I will always own it.

>absolutely no benefit
The benefit is me having fast, easy direct access to it without an online connection.

>nigger
I will not tolerate such trash mouth in my comfy server thread. Please leave immediately.

kodi?

sheet. Guess I should install that.

Its worse inside.

Didn't want to get more Ethernet cards, so screwed a switch in. Power bar for plugging it all in although the 12v things run off the ATX PSU. Two wifi routers one for 2G other for 5. Few extra fans. Wired most of the things to the black PCB on the front for controlling fans and turning things on and off.

It is a meme. I've ran my compute resources for over a decade w/o it and by ensuring I backup data to multiple drives never once had a data loss or corruption issue that can't be solved.

>wont do a damned bit of good when it is corrupted in memory
You ever hear of offline storage? if your active drive gets corrupted or fails, you have an offline backup. ECC ram doesn't fix a failed hard-drive.

with 288GB DDR3 ECC and 16x 4TB enterprise class HDDs. ECC memory isnt expensive.
No clue what kind of operation you're running but that looks like a small business to me. Thus, ECC to you heart's content.

> you dont know what unrecoverable disk errors are do you? or why enterprise class disks exist? they have one to two orders of mangitude better error rates.
You're running 16x 4TB hard drives, this is not a homeserver. This is a small business. Yes, people are aware of what enterprise disks are and you're not a homeserver client so change your OP.

what is the benefit of booting the system once from an ssd when it's going to be loaded in ram for the rest of the time. do you even fucking listen to yourself or read your own shit?

>Because I don't like relying on fickle online sources which tend to purge said data. Having it offline gives me a sense of safety knowing that I will always own it.
you don't even know which images you downloaded at this point. and you are never using it anyway. you are LITERALLY wasting money to save shit that you don't look at.

>The benefit is me having fast, easy direct access to it without an online connection.
which you never use. what is the point in having something that you don't benefit out of? you are putting yourself in chains over some immaterial bullshit that has no impact on your life quality, actually the exact opposite.

>I will not tolerate such trash mouth in my comfy server thread. Please leave immediately.
i actually laughed out loud

whatever this thread is dead anyway. nobobody wants to waste time on a degenerate man-child with now self control. i hope you mental disability gets fixed some day.

N40L reporting in
i wonder whether to upgrade to a gen8. it probably isn't worth it but i like new shit

>what is the benefit of booting the system once from an ssd when it's going to be loaded in ram for the rest of the time.
There is no benefit, it just feels ghetto as hell to use an SD card so I'm not doing it.

>you don't even know which images you downloaded at this point
It has dupe checking, and I don't manually download anything. I write a script and it gets it for me.

>and you are never using it anyway
I use it when I'm in the mood to look at some images.

> over some immaterial bullshit that has no impact on your life quality
Collecting is my hobby. I enjoy it. My usage case isn't really up for debate here.

>nobobody wants to waste time
Perhaps you have trouble reading, but this thread already has 40 responses and I have more than enough advice to get started.

OP seems confused. He has a data store far in excess of a home user/server but want declare he's running his enterprise ops from his house.

Claims his data is uber important but is buying refurb drives. Adding insult on injury maintains that ECC ram is going to solve this shortcoming.

I give up on people like this.
The best and safest solution would be to buy the most stable offline storage solution and backup the bulk and only transfer and run this active when needed. Instead, OP seems to have some crazy scenario whereby he's running 16x4TB hard drives.. No comment about wtf needs that kind of space...

Alas, op wants to keep cost down and is a poorfag who really shouldn't be running this config at home thus is cutting all sorts of insane corners to maintain this idiotic setup.

Also, as I side note, I'm starting to hear a lot of brainlets refer to their ghetto rigged home network as a data center/distributed computing on various discussions boards. You ask them what they're doing w/ their setup and they claim they're doing data center/distributed computing which translates to a basic home network and/or running seti/folding at home.

I really wish this was a joke, but we've gotten to this point w/ computing being so readily available.. Everyone's running a mini super computer cluster or so they claim set upon cutting edge work (running an app)

>RAID is a meme.
Says the idiot who actually plans to use a motherfucking 30-terabyte 10 disk JBOD pool as """backup""".
>Why the hell are you so stuck up about me buying a damn cheap SSD?
Because it beautifully indicates your amazing combination of being completely fucking clueless yet stubbornly insisting to have X and Y because you got it in your head that you need it.
>Did you read the OP?
Yes, you mentioned that you want a Xeon in it. Protip: even those ARM-based shitboxes are fast enough to run around 100 MB/s and no amount of hardware is going to get around the bottleneck of your shitty home network, unless you want to drop four figures on a 10GbE setup.

I agree totally with this.

I run the nigger rig ( as seen and ) for streaming and keeping all my network shit in one box with power. Its not pretty, its barely a server, but I would never say its doing cutting edge work or other bullshit that people seem to claim they are doing when infact they have a raspberry pi running a http server so they can have a homepage.

People who do shit like that are cancer.

Well, RAID is not a backup solution.
I'm building a simple backup.
My current JBOD of mixed refurbs has been going 7 years strong without a hiccup.

>you got it in your head that you need it.
I never said I needed it. I specifically said I wanted it.

>no amount of hardware is going to get around the bottleneck of your shitty home network
It doesn't need to because the bottleneck will be the drives themselves, not my home network.Xeon E5 is for future proofing.

anons I need some very good but cheap home server for esxi VMs like firewall nas and various different opearting systems

what would you suggest? Please something with minimum power draw when not under load

this is the most niggerest setup ive ever seen

why thank you

Also using an N40L. Wish there were more prebuilts with this form factor - it's perfect to stash a few disks in for network storage & backups.

Seriously though, does *anyone* do generic servers with a similar form factor? (excluding your typical consumer NAS solutions)

Some anons here running NextCloud? I tried to get it a few times but fails + re-evaluation my context made me give up. Beside a backup solution or a acess-your-files-wherever-you-are what would another few uses to Nextcloud? Thank you anons.

I suggest getting a fucking job

rude

So Instead pfsence on a old c2d hp box to have fun and try out physical hardware networking. So I have snort and pfblock dnsbl with a basics config, but I feel like I could do much more with this machine. What is the next setup? Make the machine run pfsence alongside a NAS or something?

Why are xeons so cheap? I'm hearing people getting 16 core xeons for Iike 40$ while a 7900x is 1000$

People hostname servers at home? Why?

Pretty much. I know people who write kernel code that keeps these LARPers setups running and even they run nigger rigs at home. Who the fuck wants to look at all that shit when they come home from actual work? You have two things : Data and compute. If you aren't a poorfag, most of the shit you used to pack on hard drives is available on the web with a non-3rd world internet package. So, there's your data solution solve. Compute doesn't need 16x4TB drives. So, there's that. Compute beyond a certain scale is dumbaf to be doing at home. At those scales your clown ass should have an office space. So yeah, back in the data, sure : home server. Now-a-days, it's LARP. Unless you run a business from home and even that should hit a max scale, you're LARPing.

> muh Vms
> muh DC@home
> muh ZFS/RAID
> muh Ecc ram

GTFO

^this

Brainlets be like :
> WE WUZ ENTERPRISE

I have a cute arch server at home with a i5-6100 with 8gb of ram that has assisted me in little life tasks and data storage tasks and comfy movie and archive times and I got some of my previous gpus in there mining.
Comfy shit my guy.

>Telling people what they need and how they should use their parts
>Wanting everyone to have a nigger rig like you

price with lots of HBAs being the cheapest usually. bandwidth with lots of HBAs being the best. also i suppose having a lot of HBA's will give you the best queue depth.

>ou ever hear of offline storage?
nigger i have 3 cases of disks

>this is not a homeserver.
it is. technically two.

This is the most uncomfy home server thread

yeah wtf
it's fun to build shit at home, don't be jelly if someone has the money for it

Is it worthy using an ODROID XU4 with their NAS board as a beginner's NAS?

I have don't have nigger rigs. I have multiple highly scaled compute nodes for the work that I do. None run ECC ram. None run exotic file systems or RAIDS. I've only had one HD crash on me in a decade and I have multiple backups of sensitive data across various mediums thus never lost any data. Never had data corruption outside of hard drive sectors failing. A decade plus.

Now, you can do whatever you want. I just find that professionals who actually do this stuff and know this stuff for a living don't come home and try to LARP as IT professionals or Data Center specialist.. They have a rig, two or three .. Have basic storage w/ backups and live comfy.

I see so many LARPers on here w/ their custom linux distros and home data centers and I wonder if you do actual technical work for a living. Playing with network configurations/vms, are you doing this to get skills to get a job? What's the draw here?

Tech professional larp detected

Something about OP saying he has super important data at a size of 16x4TB drives but is buying refurb HDs triggered me to finally confront the level of larping that happens on these threads. Sorry for making it uncomfy but this is just foolishnes .. Still no word on why OP needs 16x4TB drives... but the obvious stands out.

>i wish i could afford nice things
>the post

Believing people are jelly about having to buy refurb drives for a nigger tier @home LARP cloud server but feeling the need to buy ECC ram.

People who have money buy a NAS, get their data stored properly, reliably, securely, and move on with their lives.

16x4TBs worth of data on ghetto rigged nodes sounds like OPs storing the obvious though...

>People who have money buy a NAS, get their data stored properly, reliably, securely, and move on with their lives.
lol no. enjoy having your shitbox NAS die after a couple years due to the clock issue with Intel Atoms. Also NAS boxes cant scale out.

>16x4TBs worth of data on ghetto rigged nodes sounds like OPs storing the obvious though...
OP doesnt have that, but I do with S2D/SOFS which does scale up and out

> Has nice things
> Love when poorfags try to LARP and pretend their nigger tier setups are nice things
> Love it even more when they project their insecurities on others even when their speccy shows they can't afford nice things

Overall, what's interesting is, you could have nice things if you scaled down the unnecessary bullshit you have for your homeserver but instead have piles of hardware/software complexity and jimmy-rigging causing unnecessary costs (namely in time).

Nice things = a NAS w/ the desired Storage arrays equivalent to your needs.

> refurb hds
> ECC ram
This will be my new sig.

ECC is great if it supports chip-kill.

You can withstand losing a single memory module on a stick and keep going.

>Still no word on why OP needs 16x4TB drive
I don't have 64TB, I have 30TB, which will eventually be 60TB after I buy my refurb drives.

If I want fucking 30TB of data then I'm going to buy fucking 30TB of data. I already told your ass that collecting is my hobby. A ton of shit I have that you literally cannot find anymore. If I were stupid and relied on 'hurr I can just redownload it again!" then I'd be completely fucked.

It's super important to me because I've spent a great deal of my free time amassing such content and it would be an utter waste of that time if I were to lose it. No, I cannot just re-download it from some file host or private tracker.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying refurbished drives either since it's in a home setting. I have 16HDD's running active 24/7 and only 1 has died in the past decade.

take your frog meme posting ass elsewhere

CentOS
Do as you will with firewalld and SElinux.
Virtualize everything in KVM.

>nigger tier setups are nice things
nigger please my RAID card costs more than your entire shitbox

how severe is your autism?
have considered the fact that building a home lab is a lot of fun for some people?
you don't get to dictate what people may use in their homes just because you work in some shitty IT entry position.

Is that a wall outlet, and a switch inside your case?? KEK, I can't say shit about it, if it gets the job done man more power to you.

K, now were getting somewhere :
> A ton of shit I have that you literally cannot find anymore.

Now your focus on the data portion of a home server makes sense.
This is known as archiving btw not a homeserver unless you're collecting and offering up.

16 Hard drives... Yeah, so essentially a basic run of the mill mobo with hard drives attached.

Unlikely, there's something that happens every year in the industry : True enterprise individuals clear out portions of their data center through liquidators who then spin around and sell cards that went for $3000 for $100 on ebay and other outlets.

RAID cards though.. yeah, there people go w/ that meme again.

Zero autism.. Just getting tired of these LARP threads here and elsewhere that is equivalent to people putting hard drives in a run of the mill computer and attaching a network cable...

The language that is often used for this is :
> Homelab
> Homeserver
> DC (Data center) @ home
> DC (Distributed Computing)

You get interested and you come and get comfy and then you find out its just someone running a basic computer with hard drives connected to a router calling that shit a homelab.

> shitty IT entry position
LMFAO. When you design this hardware/software for a living (not service it through an entry level IT position) you know dam well what the use cases are. When you have to write code and design hardware to meet a customer's needs, you know exactly why certain things cost more money. You also know that the vast majority of people larping with "home labs" in no way shape or form actually have any requirements or use cases for their speccy or configurations.

So, whereas an enterprise client actually tries to find the least complex, least costly automated solution to their problems, it appears the LARP tier home crowd goes after the most expensive and complex. So, excuse me for wondering what special autism drives this.

Fucking hell. Where is your rack spacing?

Areca 1883ix-24 with 8GB RAM upgrade and a BBU was $1500

Get something in x5*** in 1366 socket. No reason to overdo it in your scenario. Zfs needs a zpool so be prepared to buy an extra ssd for that. Also no real reason to use zfs unless you are doing some kind of ultrasensitive multiraid as currently it is a huge pain to maintain. You need some *bsd os. Zfs uses oodles of ram so I suggest going with 32gb

why are xeons so cheap when they got liek 20 cores and shit

Yeah, Plex is for plebs who either don't want to fool with setting up Kodi and their own VPN and want to announce to the botnet that they have pirated weeb trash.

Does carddav and caldav.
Lets you share files with strangers using a link.
The android app has an auto upload feature for photos.

this.

>What am I doing wrong
You're looking at new racks. Check craigslist and ebay.

RPI model A running Apache tomcat

Server admin checking cables

business sell them after a few years and buy new ones, so they can pay less taxes

Is a small form office Core2Duo PC good for a seedbox? I'd want to connect that machine to a VPN to download the files then grab movies/pdfs/games from it to view/play on my main PC. Is this feasable or is there an easier method of doing it?

>HP Microserver
>Centos
Why specifically Centos? Are the HPE Microservers not compatible with anything else?

ebyn :DDD

I was thinking more in a private usage, for me and maybe some friend, but I will give it a look.

More examples? I think I should learn to set up a cloud but I can't find it usage after it.

My baby's first which I run of today is an XU4 with 16GB EMMC and two HDD. Currently a seedbox and also serving a webpage inside of a LXC container. I think they're fast af (1st ARM board, could be wrong) and pretty cheap for its guts. I will go ahead with just the board and EMMC to learn from scratch.

This is mine.
Trying to get pfsense going as a kvm guest. How do I set up host-guest networking?

inb4
>homeserver

because centos is far superior in stability than any debian or arch. the documentation from RedHat is pretty damn good and since centos is the free version of RHEL you can apply it 1:1.

i have actually never met a single person that runs a hp microserver running anything but freenas.

> If I were stupid
you are. people here give you solid advice on how to accomplish something but you are an ignorant man-child.
>It's super important to me because I've spent a great deal of my free time amassing such content and it would be an utter waste of that time if I were to lose it. No, I cannot just re-download it from some file host or private tracker.
you wasted it already, time to accomplish something in life.
>There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying refurbished drives either since it's in a home setting. I have 16HDD's running active 24/7 and only 1 has died in the past decade.
there is absolutely everything wrong with refurbished drives. as i asked you before, do you even read your own shit?

>refurb drives
>muh business critical animu collection
>i want high available and redundant data but i won't listen to people that know anything about technology

god people like you need to be rallied and shot. thankfully your waifu isolates your from the gene pool so we don't have more useless autists on this planet

Got Kodi setup today. Yeah its alot better than plex, thanks for suggesting it.

Yeah it is, it works lol. The switch (God knows why) runs on 9v and I need 240 for the PSU and the PoE injector. Works well, might burn my house down and kill me in my sleep, but works well.

nigger rigs get more work done fact

>nigger rigs get more work done fact
>fact

if you mean by fact setting up house fire or getting hacked and trying to fix the damage afterwards, you are 100% correct

freenas recommends running it from a usb stick. lmao. how getto.
instead you should install it onto a 50gb partition on a 4tb hdd.

My current home server.
Quiet.
Low power.
Just werks.

what is it standing on?