/pcbg/ PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1400 - If you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use, not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Good fucking luck even getting a VEGA right now

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM, 3200 MHz is ideal

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/cxyDLD
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/msZ47h
it.pcpartpicker.com/list/WhqLZ8
pcpartpicker.com/list/9TdyM8
google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/09/05/bitcoin-dips-another-200-after-chinas-cryptocurrency-crackdown.html
coolermaster.com/cooling/case-fan/masterfan-pro-120-ap-rgb/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813144026
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is this better? I seriously can't go higher than this

I wished so many times that britbongs had the same value of euros

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO 510EUR (+30 FOR SHIPPING) ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR FUCKIN MINDS? 610 USD FOR A LOWER PERFORMANCE THAN A 1070!

Assembled and also overclocked!
I'm pretty sure I can get the 1700 quite higher but I wanna run some benchmarks and play some games with these clocks to see how the performance stacks up to stock clocks on the CPU and RAM.

>3066MHz RAM

just crack and buy nvidia already. amd is never going to pull their head out of their ass (see : polaris msrp availability). miners have taken priority over their gaming customers and that's the way it's going to be for the next few years.

Try to get single stick 8 gigs of RAM, also a gtx 1060 if you can find It cheaper than the 580

Threadly reminder that windows 10's balanced power mode (default) fucks up ryzen. You get up to 8% higher fps by switching to AMD's balanced mode, or using high performance in the hidden options..

It's 3200mhz but it's unstable at 3200, so I settled for clocking it at 3000mhz, the highest stable clocks I could reach.

>recommending single channel

What the fuck are you doing, retard.

>mfw just bumping to 3.6GHZ
>mfw no temp changes on stock cooler and only one case fan

if your confused then ur dumb. i run at 3200 because its just better.

kobeni is qt af

anyway, will an rx470 strix bottleneck an r5 1600 for 1080? i feel like it shouldnt.

should be fine at 1080P@60hz

really optimized games you will need to dip a bit.

Oh. I'm American, didn't realize. Here's one in your budget: uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/cxyDLD
(I hope you can buy from British sellers)

Where to fix this?

Search "Power plan" on windows start menu and edit your power plan to be high performance.

IT'S OVER
INTEL ARE FINISHED

let's be honest, the average pc consumer won't care and they'll buy it anyway because "EXPENSIVE = BETTER"

they'll care when their computer turns out to be the best space heater they've ever bought

>gpu goes out of stock when I have money to buy it

Hello, Sup Forumsoys. My GPU and CPU came in today. Waiting on Newegg to ship my mobo, ram, case, and psu. Anything I should do in preparation for the build other than wait?

take pictures of your shit and post it here

But my only camera is the OP3T camera and I have shit lighting in my dorm.

>ASUS putting out crypto-mining motherboards.
>AMD turning their back on the market they depend on for short-term gains

It's like AMD had Intel on their knees but then decided they preferred sucking cock.

So, my laptop I've been using and got from cyberpowerpc for a grand just shit the bed and I need a new one for college and casual use.

But Ive been contemplating building a PC instead of getting something like a thinkpad though. And if I get a laptop, what's the best I can get for 2 grand?

Looking for a friend

Is it just for College? Any video editing, Photo Editing, VM work, or really anything? Gaming?

Does it need to be portable?

Are you sure 2 grand is your budget?

For 2 grand, spec-wise, probably a beefed up gaming laptop. If you want an ultra book, I highly recommend the dell XPS 15. I spent $1500 on mine and it's the best laptop I've ever used. I don't have coil whine, but others have gotten it. Dell has usually fixed that, though, with no issues.

Don't get a MacBook. Please. It's a waste of money.

Oh. I misunderstood his question.

I can make a pretty powerful pc build with what I've got, but I could also get an ultrabook or a p51 ThinkPad instead. This will be for everything. Gaming, CAD work (in an engineering student), essays, whatever.

Make 2 separate orders, one on Amazon.de and one on Amazon.it:
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/msZ47h
it.pcpartpicker.com/list/WhqLZ8
Total should be around 755€.
I would seriously consider an SSD though, the 850 EVO 250Gb is 90€ on Amazon.it, if you can get that and just recycle your old HDD until you can afford a new HDD for storage it would be much better.

I recommend getting a cheap laptop like the T420,X230, myabe even a quadcore W520 abd shoving an SSD in it and using the rest to build a pc.

Or

Build a cute but powerful itx pc. You won't be able to take it into class, but it'll be portable enough to take between your home and dorm if you live on campus.

Please stop suggesting the 212 Evo for Ryzen. The stock coolers are better.

>finally broke through the wall and have some idea on what the fuck pc parts mean and are

Also who actively waits for black friday sales and cyber whatever the hell it is for their build buys?

This is the pc build I have atm
pcpartpicker.com/list/9TdyM8
Might just get a Thinkpad if i choose not to build this then, depends

they're not though

Nobody because those deals are just retailers trying to move garbage that never sells. Only good deals might be on SSDs but I doubt it.

LMAO@any retard who thinks he's gonna score a sub-$300 580 if he waits fo BF

fake news.

BF sales is for shit like mouse, keyboards and monitors.
You are not going to get anything good on BF that is in demand.

google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/09/05/bitcoin-dips-another-200-after-chinas-cryptocurrency-crackdown.html

Are you as excited as I am to watch it crash and burn user?

there's a 580 near me that's 299 open box if that counts

#CryptoCrash2017

>posting an AMP link

>pcpartpicker.com/list/9TdyM8

You can drop the x370 board for a b350 and save some cash, x370 only matters if you want sli/crossfire (2+gpus)

Your powersupply is overkill, you can easily get by with like 500-550w after overclocking. Pic related

You can save $100 by pirating windows.

With these changes you can put the money towards a 1080ti, or even just line your pockets if you want.

Fuck

>Art contest for RX 580
>Sitting here trying to speedily work out an understanding of artistic composition and how this fucking paint spreads, having spent all my time leading up to this in the past week trying to come up with ideas and sketching concepts
>Have already ruined one canvas trying to figure this out, leaving it a paint-caked mess before I snapped it in half.

I have roughly 18 hours. I'll need to use every dirty trick I can find just to have a snowball's chance in hell of being able to submit something.

Wee.

Just shit on the canvas and submit it. It'll show how bold you are.

Heh. My last attempt looked like I had smeared shit on a canvas.

Go with some that is progressive. Maybe something about LGBTBQ*+ or some shit like that. Art contest eat that shit up.

just write "delidding" on your canvas, instant win

So would it be bad to run a high end system on a shitty monitor? I have most of my parts for my new build and I am concerned that if I try to use it on a shitty 1080p monitor the system might over-work and lessen the shelf life. I have a 1080ti and an r7 1700 ready to go, just make sure I can get everything set up before I buy my monitor.

No. It will just be a waste of money. That is like having a V8 engine in a Honda Jazz chassis. Your engine is great but your body can only go so fast.

I mean more like assembling the PC and setting it up to make sure it works before I can buy something like a 1440p monitor ( I cant buy everything at once).

What? No. The only thing you are wasting is the potential of your current system. You can run your system on a CRT if you wish to and it will do no harm.

Thanks, I'm just a bit worried about expensive stuff I buy.

>6 fans in pc
>39C average idle between cpus, drives and gpu
>55C average gaming for a long time
Can I go lower with natural aspiration? How?

That is how you get condesation and ruin your PC

Even if airflow is constant? I even have a vent on the side. Obviously it doesn't NEED to be colder, I'm just interested

About to pull the trigger on $900 worth of parts. And that's before the gpu($450) and a monitor. Wew.

>6 fans in pc
>39C idle
That's pretty shitty, I've got my cpu fan and an exhaust and it idles at 29C.

You know what happens when a surface is colder than the ambient temperature?

I figured, which is why I asked. Might just be hot in this room, but still. You have no intake?

I have a front intake fan but it's disconnected to keep the noise down.

How loud is loud? I dunno if it helps the frame of reference but with 6 fans plus cooler I can play forza and set my headphones on the desk at 65% volume, and drown out my fans, I actually just checked. If I manually ramp them up though it sounds like I'm redlining an engine

op3t has a good low light camera

Well my sistem would be quiet even with a front fan but it doesn't even get hot enough to need an intake and my side panel has a bunch of holes that let air draft in.

So I built my PC I'd say 3 or 4 months ago. These are my specs.

G4560
RX 570
8 GB RAM (2x4 GB)

I'm thinking of replacing the CPU but now I see Ryzen is a thing and I don't know what to do, and what would make more sense in terms of cost efficiency.

If I get a Ryzen 5 CPU, I need to replace the mobo.

Should I go i5 to keep costs down or just wait to replace my mobo and get a Ryzen?

Damn. Maybe it's just too hot here. It's about 40C so I guess the computer is room temp. I can't wait for the cold. Are there different kinds of fans? I only ask because I'm using hand me down red fans, I eventually want a decent color

I would go Ryzen because the motherboard has more longevity. AMD has committed to the AM4 socket through 2020, meanwhile, Intel's LGA1151 socket is being replaced. It may be more toupgrade now for you, but down the line, it may end up cheaper overall since it will last so long.

I just finished a build with a ryzen 3 and I've been streaming the witcher 3 maxed for hours on a 1060 6gb. I'm sure you could get that out of an i5 but for less than 200 dollars you could do a ryzen 3 and decent board combo.

Which one should I buy?

One is mini and one is micro, aren't they?

Yes. There's MANY different types of fans. You can even get RGB fans now that can glow in your choice of 16.8 million colors via software.
I'm personally planning to use Cooler Master Master Fan Pro 120 RGB Air Pressure (wow, what a long fucking name) fans for my build. My choice wasn't just the RGB, or the fact the fans are compatible with my motherboard/RGB software choice, but also because the actual fanblades themselves are the same ones used on the stock Ryzen coolers.
That's my choice and my reasons though. You make your own.
coolermaster.com/cooling/case-fan/masterfan-pro-120-ap-rgb/

They're both Micro-ATX. mATX is Micro-ATX. Mini-ATX is some weird form smaller than Mini-ITX.

neither
get a fucking ATX mobo

They're both micro ATX

They're both micro.

I might upgrade my CPU soon but I'll need to change my motherboard because the CPU socket will change. Has to be m-ATX.

Not happening, my case doesn't have enough room and can't be bothered changing it.

neither. Get this instead
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813144026

I figured the distinction between matx and micro atx might be important. How do they denote micro then? Just by typing it out?

Micro is just mATX or Micro ATX

>3 star average
>1 star review: "Do not buy if you have a Ryzen 5 1600 unless you have an older chip that can power up the computer so you can install the new bios for the 1600. I should of read the reviews before i bought this motherboard."
Ryzen 1600 is exactly what I have my eye on though.

should sell that r9 380 and get gtx 1070 user

what about the m.2 SSD? if I get the b-350, it shows Compatability issues

ignore them. The B350M Mortar is just an mATX version of the much beloved full size ATX MSI B350 Tomahawk board.
MSI does lag behind the other board manufacturers for bios updates, but they do have the latest revisions out that fix 99% of the early teething problems with Ryzen. Just make sure your board has a bios with the AGESA update

Ryzen 5 has been out for months now, how the hell are they still selling mobos with a BIOS that won't support it

I actually just bought this, but the atx arctic version. Looks cool, works great. Used a 1300x and didn't need to upgrade, you might be good

>I actually just bought this, but the atx arctic version
so the Tomahawk Arctic? That's the one I have my eye on. How is it?

It's nice, take your time with the cable management, it looks cool. Room for expansion, I still have to add a ssd and wireless card to the board. Cheap and effective, bios is a little clunky but otherwise easy to use.

Not sure if this belongs on /sqt/, but is there a way to limit my fps if it's not a setting in game. Not a serious gamer, so rocking a 1050, however I can see the fps jump around a bit at 1080p, anyway to cap it at 30 fps when playing games? I'd rather have a consistent fps

Thanks you guys, I'll look into Ryzen 3/5 lines and try to set some money aside for both that and the mobo.

A b350 board and ryzen 3 1300x combo is exactly 213 usd shipped. You can save money if you overclock a 1300 though.

And the 1300x is sufficient enough for 1080p@60fps for most games you think? What about streaming? Sorry, just recently got into PC gaming and trying to hit that at minimum.

>What about streaming?
You want a Ryzen 5 1600 for that at bare minimum.

>poorfag build from 4 years ago
>graphics card is starting to die
>MSI 7850, one of the fans isn't working
>can't afford a new card right now
>take it apart, try to re-lube the fan
>put it back together
>mfw motherboard beeps out VGA failure
I probably was too liberal with the thermal paste. I fell for the AMD meme too, so I don't have any way to use my computer until I get a new card. Point and laugh. It's okay.

I've been using the 1300x just fine, honestly. An upgrade to the 1600 would be nice imo, but not while it's working anyways

Thanks!

Which one should I buy?