Previous thread:

Previous thread:

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net, IP addresses collected for your safety

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. GETACs, Toughbooks).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice?

thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THINKWIKI FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN Panasonic Toughbooks, pre-Lelnovo Thinkpad A, T, X, and number series, and GETACs if you want the Real Business Experience.

>Be careful of CIA niggers recommending you flash unusal firmware.

>Recommended models:
T60, T61, X60, X61, 860, Transnote, PC110

>Models to stay away from:
Anything with 'island' or 'chicklet' keyboards.

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Buyers_Guide

NORMIES GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee

Other urls found in this thread:

medibang.com/contest/jumpuniversal/?locale=en
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/6taxx5/where_would_i_begin_with_upgrading_my_t440ps/dljacbt
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is such a thing even possible?

First for X40.

The most patrician Thinkpad.

Hey uhhh are the Thinkpad tablets good for art shit? Thinking of maybe getting one of them ones mounted onto a keyboard for doing art related business instead of wasting thousands on a Cintiq

getacs and toughbooks aren't business laptops, they're rugged laptops
not complaining, though, this is better than HP shill's op

I want to buy an expensive thinkpad, in the style of a t470 but I want it to be /tpg/ approved
I want long battery life and lightning fast speeds, WITH a gpu. And i want it to be a t470 style. CAN I HAVE IT!?

wait for retro

>tfw you run your finger around the soft rim trackpoint

What are the maximum upgrades a T420 can get?

wats dat

Pretty sure if you use custom bios you can put a quadcore ivy bridge into it

msata ssd + hdd/ssd + hdd/ssd
alienware panel
sandy bridge quad core processor (ivy with coreboot)
16gb ddr3l ram
9 cell battery
anime bios logo

Do any of you use custom nubs?

Nice job not making a thread title

HP shills have been making the OP and then "coincidentally" getting FP for what, months now?

It's shit.

what kind of art do you do? I have an x200 and x220 tablet versions

Is this thread sissy-free?

I have made custom tips before, but it's not worth the effort.
The only customization worth the effort is dying them purple, or a darker red

looks like it

Mostly digital art in Manga Studio and Photoshop, as well as some animating in Flash.

Just make sure you find one decently specc'd and you should be good so long as you don't use tons of plugins for photoshop

Guys, I want to purchase an x230 but I'm concerned about Lenovo and their superfish spyware scandal. Is/was the x230 affected by this? Does Lenovo add any other spyware bullshit in their thinkpads?

Have you applied for this:
>medibang.com/contest/jumpuniversal/?locale=en

So you'll probably use Windows then? I've only used it with GIMP and Krita since I'm not keen on the subscription stuff with PS.

I just got the x220 so I'm still putting it through it's paces but I will say that it has a really nice display as far as the tablet is concerned. The resolution may put you off since it's kind of low but it has decent levels of sensitivity. Plus the x220 version is touch screen. Mine is kind of broken but I have another screen on the way.

The x220 is really nice too though since it has a latch on it that will lock the screen in place. Also it can rotate in both directions, unlike the x220 version. Also it doesn't have a trackpad(which I very much love).

The x220 version comes with an i7 option which will very much help with rendering effects and filters in graphics programs but it can tend to get a little hot because of that.

whoops, I was talking abut the x200 a few times.
>can swivel both ways
>no touchpad
>latch to lock the screen

Thanks fellas, once this x230 comes in the mail I'll start considering getting a tablet. Probably a dense question but I just want to be sure: to the tablets feature pen pressure sensetivity?
I dont even like manga but I'm gonna keep this in the back of my mind, got some ideas but I dont know how much the japs would like them.

Not a dense question at all. here's a sample from the x220. I need to adjust the sensitivity curves a bit. I made this in Krita using a few sample brushes.

Cool cool, thanks senpai you've been a BIG help

They do, so get a Dell Latitude or HP Elitebook instead.

no problem! The tablet versions get little coverage and don't seem as popular but I love them. If you want to know more about the x200 or x220, feel free to ask.

Is there a way to undervolt a stinkpad? Got a T510 with the i7, snooped through the BIOS and couldn't see any options for the CPU other than to disable speedstep and shit like that.

In terms of overall footprint, the X1 Carbon isn't that much bigger than the X230 right?

Sick of this fukkn screen resolution.

Thinking about buying Dell Inspirion 15
>16 GB DDR4 RAM
>256 GB SSD
>i7 - 7700U
Any recommendations?

DOES THIS LOOK LIKE /DELL INSPIRON GENERAL/ TO YOU, ASSHOLE?

HP has shipped spyware with Pcs as well. In fact HP has spied on its own board members. Dell's just as bad with their botnet phone home crap.

Pretty sure it used to say that other bussiness laptops are also welcomed in OP. Chinkpad doesn't suit me performance-wise + it's fugly

>U
into the trash

>Have a T420
>CD drive keeps popping open randomly
>Get another CD drive for it
>Won't read CDs properly, won't even boot from CD

Why do people bother with Chinkpads again?

Dell / HP shill please go. Why don't you make your own /Dell+HP/ general? Oh, that's right, because nobody gives a fuck.

Anyway those trashtops don't have hot-swap bays, multiple batteries, slice batteries, etc etc. they're shit. Also poor Linux support.

Leave these threads forever.

I think your problem is you still use CDs

I realize this is a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Blu-ray player for ThinkPad? Is it possible in any way, shape or form?

I know there were a few that shipped with a Blu-ray config. if I remember correctly it was the W series? could be wrong though but I know I saw a few reviews from a few years ago that said they could come with Blu-ray drives

Not him but i still buy and rip music CDs with my ThinkPad, the ultrabay thing is pretty handy to have. Some albums aren't on private trackers and spotify has fucking nothing.

wno the fuck invented the tablet thinkpads omg this is so unconfortable shit

>malware10
fucking retard

I found an old T420 in a computer shop for $20, is it worth it? It doesn't come with the battery, memory or hard drives though.

Got a x220 for $275CDN the other day
i5-2540m
4gb ram
320gb hdd
no bluetooth
9-cell battery in meh condition

Found a new lenovo 6-cell battery in clearance rack for $20.
pulled the hdd and installed msata
installed intel 7260ac wifi card w. bluetooth
installed 16gb 1866 ram

How did i do? 16gb ram feels like overkill...

yeah, add a cheap ssd, two ram sticks and it'll be pretty gud

Hell yeah. Buy some cheap chink battery, pop an SSD in that bad boy, get some cheap 4GB sticks, you'll have a pretty good machine for probably under 100 bucks.

just got it today,no time to mess with tje OS. The pen is great tho, I can see this as a great tool for a visual artist. When it comes to shitposting... the traditional laptop is way better.

I don't know, but it seems easier than cramming the guts of an X220 into an X201.

Buy it, upgrade it with the cheapest parts you can find, resell it for twice what you spent on Ebay.

IBM Thinkpads are comfiest.

Did you try to recondition the battery that came with it?

nope. didn't know that was possible..

how does one go about reconditioning?

No window key tho

nvrmind found it in the wiki

Good ThinkPad as replacement for 8440p Elitebook? Love the HP but runs hot, want something of a similar size 12 to 14 inch, decent resolution, maybe with a newer CPU that runs cooler than the HP

Thinking of getting a t440p so i can swap out the panel for a fhd display as i understand this is do able without any extra parts. How much would the fhd display cost where do i buy it and how much different will battery life be. What's the average battery life i should expect from a t440p with a 9 cell battery.

i paid $65 for mine

worth every cent

I have better instructions. But first a preamble.

First thing to remember about Li-Ion batteries is that they can only endure a certain number of "full" cycles before degrading below their specified capacity enormously, but what is a "cycle?" A cycle is defined as the *equivalent* of a full charge and discharge. If you charge your battery all the way and then drain it all the way, this is one cycle. If you charge it all the way, drain it to 90%, charge, and drain back to 90% you'd need to do this ten times for a "cycle." However, if you drain a battery all the way every time you might only get 500 cycles before it's degraded substantially. However, if you drain it to 50% and recharge each time, you can easily get 1500 cycles out of the exact same battery, and if you only drain it to 90% you can get over 5000 cycles.

Depth of discharge is what kills batteries. Don't drain them to empty, and if you can, set your laptop to hibernate automatically when it hits 10%, or 25%, or more, depending on how long you want your battery to last.

If the above didn't refresh your battery quite a bit, you can do the more extreme procedure of putting it into a plastic bag, evacuating the air, and freezing it for a few days. Then take it out of the freezer, whack it really hard a number of times with the palm of your hand, and let thaw to room temperature before taking it out of the bag. Try the above procedure again. Make sure to monitor your computer for a couple hours after you insert the previously whacked and frozen battery in case of fire, if you get too overzealous you could damage the pack. The goal here is to break up the dendrites which have formed and caused high resistance inside the cell(s), not to unsolder the batteries.

Why do you want window anyway?

oops these are the non-emergency instructions:

OK, on to refreshing. First, take your battery and charge it all the way. Then drain it all the way until your computer turns off, and charge it all the way again. Take it out of the machine and leave it for a couple days or maybe a week, then charge it again without draining it first. It will have partially self-discharged a bit. Then drain to no lower than 40%, and recharge it. Do this a couple times, resting the battery for a couple days each time. It will massively boost your capacity.

thinkwiki > whatever shit was in OP before

When mine had the i5 in it, with an SSD + HDD and the 1080 screen, I could get it to >7 hours.

Which screen do i need to get

reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/6taxx5/where_would_i_begin_with_upgrading_my_t440ps/dljacbt

I'm pretty sure the differences between the last three are gloss/matt finish or something, but you can probably find out more if you look them up specifically. Mine came with the screen, never looked into it too much.

Damn, /tpg/ today was really weird. I was supposed to meet up with this qt today and have coffee but she just ended up not getting back with me. So most of my day was spent building up to nothing. On the bright side, I finally installed Lubuntu and riced it up a bit to something I really like. Honestly if I could get a faithful XP rice going on I would die of nostalgia.

Still need to figure out how to change the neofetch display.

1.1 glossy, 1.2 matte and 1.3 semi-matte?

Not anymore, I just woke up.

>Princess Maker

>What a fag.
TAKE IT BACK.

got a thinkpad i1400,

>celeron 466 mhz (pentium ii-based)
>tiny lcd (800x600)
>bunch of stuck white pixels (see pic)
>missing battery
>dead clock battery (expected)
>no built in nic but i have a cardbus nic

it's in great condition minus the display, only got used a handful of times. what i want to do,

>swap lcd out for 1024x768 or 1280x1024 (don't know what to look for in terms of a compatible model)
>buy a battery (all i can find is ~$60 usd with postage from us to au)
>upgrade to a pentium ii or iii on the same socket (will the chipset support a piii?)
>max out ram to 256 mb or better (thinkwiki says 256 mb but i have a feeling 512 mb would work)
>replace trackpoint nub and clock battery (cheap and easy)
>buy laptop ide to msata adapter to use my spare 950 evo (also cheap and easy)

want to do it just because it's sitting around doing nothing and it's something to do to make it useful, plus i know it's in great condition. is it even worth it? should i just go find an X40 or so on ebay instead? want to run win98se or me preferably.

Anybody else have vintage Thinkpads?

I have:
>355
>760XL
>755CX
>385CD
>600E

I want a few more, especially the early ones, but I don't want to pay a lot of money. All mine work and have age-appropriate Windows on them.

i1400 series isn't really a real Thinkpad, it was IBM's pilot program for a cheaper machine and was by Acer IIRC. But it's a solid brick of a machine nonetheless.

I have one and run FreeBSD on it, it works pretty well.

is a p71 with p5000 worth it for data entry and casual gaming? I need something with a numpad.

Sup /tpg/, how would I go about doing the following? I'm a tech illiterate computer noob who has gotten his first thinkpad, an x230.
Most of the specs seem nice, IPS, 8gb ram, i5-3320m, hd400, exterior and keyboard is clean, but the storage is an 250gb HDD, really slow and small.
I'm thinking about installing a Samsung 850 Evo 500gb SSD. So how would I:
>Transfer Windows 10 pro from the HDD to the SSD (yes, I know Windows 10 bother but plz bear with me)
>Clean install Windows 10 on the SSD
>Install the required drivers and other thinkpad programs
Any help is appreciated. :)

>Transfer Windows 10 pro from the HDD to the SSD

>Clean install Windows 10 on the SSD

???

Literally how do I windows, the post?

What the fuck has become of this general.

redpill me about the x1 carbon, tested it at a local shop and it was pretty impressive

I'm about to buy a second hand, good conditions Thinkpad x240 for about 214€ It's a good deal?

Oops, sorry, I meant Windows 10 pro for both.
Hehe, yeah, I've always been a Mac user, so this thinkpad is my first Windows machine.

Please help.

I'm thinking about getting an x200 for uni and anime. Will I be dissapointed? How shit will my chinese cartoons look on this guy?

honestly just google it man it's not that hard

Hope they are 480p my man

I did, but the guides are all for the x220 and earlier.

What about just running it from display port to TV will it be able to handle HD shit?

just follow one of those guides buddy you'll be fine

[spoiler] using windows 10 on a thinkpad is lame though[/spoiler]

I do want to get into linux and I do plan to install linux on it eventually but I have to use Windows 10 as the uni I'm going to will require it for their proprietary programs.

I dunno.

Just be like everyone else and get an x230 who cares about the shit keyboard an x230 is still dirt cheap and better.

Kek I'm an extreme poorfag that's not an option sadly

I want one in black, maybe I'll just color it in.

ultrabook disguised as a thinkpad

Okay I've got two questions. Can x200 handle 2x4gb ram or should i just go 2x 2gb? Also any distro recs? I have mint on my t420 and I'm looking to try something new.

That's what the actual keyboard is for.

My Thinkpad battery is slowly decaying. Actually two of them, 9 cell at 300 cycles, ~50% capacity and 3 cell at 100 cycles, ~66% capacity. I'm considering whether I should get the cells replaced or just buy a new battery. It appears that good quality cells would cost 5.5$ a piece, making it 50$ for nine cells, but since I can't replace them myself, it would cost me another 50$ more. New batteries appear to be very cheap though, even cheaper than the cells themselves which make me worry about the quality of the cells used. I could get a 9 cell for 40$.

What's your experience with battery replacement, /tpg/?

Anybody got pictures of that white x220?

>shopping cart button

is a p71 with p5000 worth it for data entry and casual gaming? I need something with a numpad.
External numpad isn't viable for me

How casual we talking here?

I'm looking for a business laptop that fits these requirements:
>1920x1080 screen
>Intel i5
>8GB RAM
>256GB SSD
>Good battery life (7-12h)
>Has HDMI, VGA, Headphone jack

I intend to use it for programming, compiling and office work, mainly unplugged.

What brands/models should I look at? What's a good price point that's not overkill for my purposes?

I'm an absolute novice and can't really tell the difference between i-5 series or graphics cards and I have no idea how to asses what laptops have a good price/power ratio.