Was this guy right, Sup Forums? Or was he full of shit?

Was this guy right, Sup Forums? Or was he full of shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metcalf_sniper_attack
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This.

this guy hit the nail on the head there. I used to field calls to onsite techs to fix broken cell masts, coordinate with upstream (((competitors))) to fix their end of the circuit (basically, make sure they weren't just blowing us off)

>tripcode
>((()))
into the trash

do you really expect anyone to read all that?

He's right.
Towel heads and antifa are too stupid to figure it out though.

He is not entirely wrong, if you know where to find everything you can disrupt shit for days on end without much effort. The spark gap stuff and airport threats are on the extreme, but cutting cables and fucking up switch boxes especially if you know where those cables/switches go to you can fuck up a target.

need a short summary of this

One guy with the right tools can do a lot of damage. You don't see that happening very often as it's very hard to get away with something like without witnesses or security cameras watching.

This.
Unless you have a cable guy getup or some shit people are going to start calling in about some random guy fucking with shit.

Grab a hardhat, a reflective vest, a toolbelt, and maybe a butt set and you can walk around telecom equipment without getting a second glance from anyone. Shit, with that getup you could probably walk into a business and say "i'm here to repair your DMARC because we detected signal loss at the CO" and people would lead you right to their network closet

What board is that?

Our communications infrastructure is very fragile and unprotected, a few guys with a car and a few dollars can shut down all outside communications including radio, highways, and airports costing millions of dollars in lost business can be billions in a large city.

fpbp

Either Sup Forums or /k/

It was a happening thread where they all talked about this stuff, but it was infested with larpers. This screenshot always intrigued me tho so I wanted to know if it was fake

This that what an EMP bomb would actually cause, right?

This is*

You still have witnesses who will identify your face and vehicle after they notice the damage. Decent security guards will want to make sure you have proper identification and company keys before letting you touch sensitive equipment. The only way you could possibly get away scott-free from this is if you did it in the middle of the night in an area with no one around, and even then you're very liable to leave marks and evidence that could lead back to you.
You're risking years in jail, thousands of dollars in fines and a criminal record which will ruin your chances for a home or job, and for what? Knocking out high speed internet for a few customers in a few city blocks? If you're batshit crazy enough to do all that, you're most likely not sane enough to even bother hiding your vandalism.
I'm not saying these places don't need better security, but there's very little precedence for needing it, and for a good reason.

It's not that he's wrong, it's that everything Obama is capable of doing, the average joe is capable of doing.

The US government could not hope to take on the entire country. One dude with a knife can cause tens of thousands of dollars worth of damages in a matter of minutes. A dude with a 5 dollar chain can take out an entire substation in about a minute from the time he parks a car.

The US government could effectively quarantine off the metros, but there isn't shit they could do to the vast majority of the nation.

This. In Australia, if you tried this shit and got caught, you would get the book thrown at you and pay a near million dollar fine.

>I'm not saying these places don't need better security, but there's very little precedence for needing it, and for a good reason.
Pretty much this. Even with everything that's been going on lately there's no need for a complete lockdown of infrastructure.

Outside scenarios of massive civil unrest or war, security will remain lax. Resources are best spent in cybersecurity, and other areas the present much bigger and tangible risks.

The part about non-redundant connections is completely accurate.

I once worked at a place that had multiple connections, from different providers so they could be sure the connection would never go out.

The ISPs just sub contracted to each other, and all of the "redundant" connections ended up on the same physical bundle of fiber. One "accident" where a plumber cuts the wrong "pipe" with a torch, and everything went dead.

>I'm not saying these places don't need better security, but there's very little precedence for needing it, and for a good reason.
And I'm not disagreeing with you. The system works because the overwhelming majority of people aren't sociopaths with little concern for their own well being, but all it would take is a few charismatic and semi-intelligent people with an anti-social streak and a knack for social engineering to cause far more damage than their actions would cause to them. Some random asshole (or multiple assholes) cut fiber almost once a month over a year span in California a few years back, and even the FBI was stumped. All he did was look and act like he was supposed to be there, and people paid him no attention. Imagine what kind of damage a couple dozen radicalized individuals could cause if they knew how vulnerable the infrastructure was.

>million dollar fine

Yeah, that definitely sounds like autistralia.

He's absolutely correct.
Baring the spark gabs, they need a shit load of power to overwhelm anything of importance at a range.

Not a single person in this country of 300 million legit cares to band together to inflict this kind of havok, so far.

Centralization was a mistake that we cannot take back.

>I don't have the mental capacity to handle reading something for two whole minutes

literally kill yourself

Up in Norcal in the last year or two there have been intentional cable breaks, they'll break the cable near a road but also then near-simultaneously make another cable break a ways away in a more difficult to access area.

If you live in an area that's somewhat remote one cable break can take nearly everything offline.

You know, I wonder how it would go on a small city on a third world country like mine.

Yes it would be exactly as easy as he said, same goes for most of the power grid of most western nations, always remember this case en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metcalf_sniper_attack

He's completely right. A lot of these things have no security and operate on assumed decency.

There's a 'box' where all the internet lines for blocks around completely in plain sight not far from me. It would take nothing to sabotage that. Why would you want to do so is beyond me though, what does it accomplish besides fucking with ordinary people?

thanks

ITT: A bunch of pussies trying to rationalize away their cowardice and some ADHD retards who can't focus on a paragraph of text. OP pic is basic anarch training and there are ways to get around being identified. Though you wouldn't come up with any if all you're looking for is an easy way to say "I-I-I'm not scared, i-i-it's just impossible t-t-to d-do!" This is the fate all of you chose, continue doing nothing about anything you gullible losers.

>A few guys with a car and a few dollars can cut down radio

I thought this was common knowledge. Apparently not.

The whole tinfoil spin, near the end, made me stop reading though.

It's all solid, but the only reason you'd go to this extent would be if your enemy is the Federales / an agency who has a mass surveillance infrastructure (CIA/NSA/GCHQ/etc.).

Africa / SA / EA is a bit bunk considering XKEYSCORE is within all those areas and they're generally aligned with the west, not to mention the NSA would just put a tap on any outbound connection to an identified VPS. It's not like unlimited IPv4s exist anymore, and any regular usage would be easy to pattern match from "middle of america" to "west africa". It'd be better to try to get into an American adversary like Russia, China, or Israel where the FBI/CIA is a bit hesitant to touch.

One thing which he forgot about was the fingerprinting of anonymous forum users through word usage by data collection agencies. If you're posting to an online forum, you should truncate your posts to the point where no identifiable speech patterns can be determined across posts.

Another thing which I would be considering would be the hardware-level backdoors from Intel / AMD which have remotely triggerable vulnerabilities in their firmware (Intel ME's recent bug will only be patched for Haswell+ iirc, and it retroactively affects.. everything modern). So getting a laptop where the ME can be destroyed to a reasonable degree is important, since TAILS is a target for malware.

But, thought crime is not illegal yet despite what Sup Forums tells you, so I'll start caring when the state becomes more overtly oppressive. It's not like this is new; people seem to forget about Five Eyes and ECHELON.

then go and do something that your brain is capable of, like bathing with a toaster

>But, thought crime is not illegal yet despite what Sup Forums tells you, so I'll start caring when the state becomes more overtly oppressive.
Totally not overtly oppressive, you just lose your livelihood and shit. Are you fucked in the head?

nice larp faggot

>If you're posting to an online forum, you should truncate your posts to the point where no identifiable speech patterns can be determined across posts.
>truncate your posts
$ wc

Your thinking about this all wrong. In a terrorist or homeland security threat, undertaking these actions would greatly reduce the authorities response time and ability to organize. Doing this for the hell of it is stupid, and would likely get you caught. On that I can agree.

Alright, so let's assume that you're using a nuclear bomb, which has detonated in the air, caused an E1 pulse, which is high intensity, but only lasts for about a millisecond. This would effectively create the scenario above, apart from the traffic jams, because in all likelihood your car will have broken as well, especially considering how much modern cars rely on computers. If the E1 pulse is not produced, then the only circuits affected will be those with very long wires, such as the power grid.

sounds like an idiot trying to get even bigger idiots arrested

gtfo back to /x/ with your bullshit conspiracy