Aight fellas, Windows 8.1 vs 10 thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows8
safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Diarrhea vs a solid shit

thanks for bumping

name something more satisfying than a solid shit pro tip you can't

Windows 8 was a perfect os with classic shell i used it from pre release until about 5 months ago

8.1 embedded

ZorinOS

7 is better than both and still gets security updates.

8.1 all the way. boots in 10 seconds on an ssd, programs are immediately usable on login. 10 still isnt finished, taskbar icons flash occasionally for no reason and the updater breaks itself.

10 has nothing on 8.1, except more botnet. 8.1 is the right choice to use Windows.

>perfect
>needs extra program to unfuck gui
nah. I used 8.1+classic shell for a while but it never stopped bothering me that the gui has a bandaid which can come off with updates.

I've been using it since still use it on 10 so i can have the 7 styled task bar, it's never broken with updates, also lets you theme the task bar i have mine clear with a blur

Install 8.1 Pro and stop creating such shitty threads

Wait, people seriously consider the tablet OS that is 8.1?
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

How does one get their hands on a free and keylogger-free .img of windows to download

>free
>keylogger-free
pick one and only one

microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows8

why do people use classic shell? press win key, type a few letters of the program you want, press enter.

The one that works with daz loader

I think it's baby duck syndrome. I don't have another explanation for it.

win 8.1 is better
10 is fucking shit
microsoft went full retard with this one

It's the new hipster's choice. Not like those OUTDATED PLEBS using Windows 7 and BOTNET-LOVING SHEEP using Windows 10. I'm the cool guy using the little OS that could!

>the new hipster's choice
I've been using it since the developer preview for a dozen different reasons, but mainly because Windows 7 crapped itself from the workload I've been putting it through while I could use the very same programs the same way on 8 and it wouldn't even flinch.

8.1 with classic shell.

win 8 gui is irritating as shit.

Where did Windows 9 go?

8.1?

8.1 was just 8 service pack 1, they only slapped the .1 after the version name, because everyone was so fucking outraged about 8, they needed a way to tell people it has changed.

this is how retarded third party devs are

8.1 embedded industry pro

Yeah but that service pack made it a hell of a lot more usable.

What does embedded offer?

No argument there, but that's not why 9 was skipped, see above.

I'm thinking of putting this on an X220, since I have a legit key for it.

Eh. In the end it doesn't matter much. For me it's still the best version available right now. 10 seems like playing with an ongoing beta, and I want something that doesn't change much at all and just works.

Doesn't include telemetry or crapware and has few system resources running

Windows 10 hands down.

Turns your desktop into an ATM that can be remotely controlled and phones home regularly.

Again, I agree, I have been using it since the developer preview. It's fast, it's stable, it natively supports ISO mounting, and I don't give a crap about the start menu.

gnu/ linux (any good distro) > 8.1 > 10 > 8

>the reason I bought an ultrawide
KEK

and here comes the freetard

>Cluttered with garbage
>3-4 different programs for each function
>4 drive icons that don't mean anything visually because they're all the same
>"PC Gaming"
>Those random Windows 7/8 icons on that desktop

That's not yours, is it

I use Win 10 with the Start10 skin. Use WinAero to keep Bill Gates from spying on me and it's good enough.

Just wait for Microsoft to continue fucking up Windows, and you'll be using Linux soon enough, as soon as the last version of Windows you prefer will get hopelessly outdated, like XP.

No unfortunately not, I just really love desktop images that tick all the right boxes yet don't come off as tryhard. Y'know, the illusion that someone actually lives in that mess sort of comfy feel.
Bill bls gom bak

>Windows 8.1
The choice of Billy G., 2nd richest man on the Earth. There's nothing to talking about.

lmaono
once windows is finished, we'll all be using the advertising OS of choice - Fuchsia.
stay mad no one will ever use your crusty piece of shit

>the last version of Windows you prefer will get hopelessly outdated, like XP
So... Never?

So compared to 8.1, tiles are tighter, only blue, using 32 instead of 48pix icons, and can add categories below and not just side to side.

Eh, I guess the below/above option is good, but not sure about the rest. I still want the option to be able to choose tile colors.

Somehow it feels closer to windows phone than win8.1, maybe because everything is grouped 3 wide, or is that now a new limit?

Honestly I just gave in to Windows 10. My hardware is proprietary anyway, as are old versions of Wangblows. Either give in, risk Wannacry, or use a real OS.

tiles are customizable
the color is based on 2 things, whether the dev has live tiles/custom color, and which color you choose in personalization
you can also use folders

I don't use the start menu much though I just tap the win key, search and enter.

Windows 7 and 8 are patched against wannacry
Linux doesn't have this problem.

>being so buttmad about Linux
Show me on the doll where it hurt you.

That guy is talking out of his ass. The Win32 API calls for getting OS version only return integers. Of note here are major version, minor version, and platform (other info such as build number, service pack, and product type are also available). To check for 9x you check for major version == 4, minor version < 90 (4.90 is ME), and platformid != NT (to avoid catching NT 4.0). I'm not sure if it's even possible to get the version as a string like that, maybe it's somewhere in the registry? But it would be difficult, have no guarantees of it actually being what you expect it to be, and very expensive to do that and then do a string comparison vs just doing one syscall and a couple of integer comparisons. I've never heard of anyone in a production environment trying to do what's shown in your image.

yeah yeah whatever. I dual boot fedora and 8.1 and i dont think ive actually booted into windows in weeks. Its less intuitive (evn 10) and overall faster to do the stuff i need to. Plus its nice knowing that when i log into my bank account my details arent being keylogged

>enters a thread about windows
>guys pay attention to me please i use linux

Same here, except 8.1 and Antergos.

>logging into your bank outside of a VM
y i k e s

Go be a raging faggot somewhere else, kiddo. Adults are talking here.

You really think adulthood is attention whoring over which os you use?
Amazing.

>Plus its nice knowing that when i log into my bank account my details arent being keylogged
if you're using an x86 CPU from the last 10 years you have a hardware keylogger inside your CPU

>getting patches after 2015
That's giving in to the botnet.
>Linux
I said "or use a real OS"
You didn't think I meant Windows 10, did you?

No, I really think you are on a hormonal rage characteristic for teenage faggots who get upset over nothing. Your hating posts literally have no fucking substance to them, so stop writing if you don't have anything to say.

citation needed

you do realize you can just selectively download patches, right?

>2015
windows has had a universal backdoor since 2001 and has been cooperating with government agencies since the 90s (look up _NSAKEY)

Then you don't get the Wannacry patch. Every patch from 2015 onwards is spyware.

Then why are you worried about spyware in 10?

I'm not, I don't use Windows at all and haven't for a decade.

Is this how you're handling adulthood user? If so might want to stop ricing and spend more time talking to a therapist.

Notice how this thread says Windows 8.1 vs 10, not "which OS is the best"

I'm just saying, you can consider both turds but at least one will be just a tiny bit less.

mong, please
>google "wannacry 8.1 patch"
>download the specific KB release
>install

Tell it to the raging faggot, who started calling people freetards.

On Sup Forums people will enter threads and start posting about completely unrelated shit to the question asked just because they're so far up their own asses.
Any good discussion has already moved on to other smaller niche forums.

>windows 10
>real OS
HAHAHAHAHAHA

yeah but im completely aware of that and use a cpu witthout a backdoor. fx series ftw

Intel and AMD consumer series all have backdoors btw.

Windows 8 , HEAR ME OUT, its actually less bloated than 7. Sounds crazy but they removed a lot of features/services that were pretty shit on 7. If you can get passed Metro UI and run Ancile , its actually pretty solid

They also added a lot of useless tablet shit like another control panel

So yeah, not really less bloated, especially when you can remove a lot of the bloat in 7 but you're stuck with metro

>when you can remove a lot of the bloat in 7
You really can't. You can remove superficial bloat, which seems to be all you're focusing on by mentioning metro, but the actual bloat isn't removable from the end user side.

like i said fx series dont. read what i write instead of just responding

I don't agree with the freetard thing but honestly, and from an autistic perspective, the commentary about GNU/linux on this is irrelevant.

Yes, and said patch has spyware. Are you slow in the head?

>reading comprehension
I've said it twice now, user.

It's well known that 8 uses less resources and is faster than 7, 7fags are just delusional

It's an AMD product.
It does.

Those would've been the only two mentions of linux you'd have seen, if this piece of raging trash wouldn't have started calling people freetards.

yeah i know youre trolling but show me any proof

>everything related to Windows has spyware in it, ah yea, and botnet
turbo autism
safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

Intel is licensing x86 from AMD to begin with you Sup Forumsenius.

>he unironically uses a program that has been proven numerous times not to work

Calling people out for entering a thread about Windows 8.1 and 10 to talk about a completely unrelated topic is warranted. Defending off-topic replies indicates to me you're one of the unrelated posters.

>citation needed

By keylogger-free you mean third-party-keylogger-free, right?

8.1 unironically because of all the work you need to disable garbage in Win10

Okay retard, enjoy your placebo. I'll be over here using Windows 10 normally and we'll both get spied on the same.

how is that roof? all modern cpus have either a psp of ame on them, but fx were the last series without them

>disable
lmao

they did a major refactor of Windows after 7 and removed a lot of unnecessary shit that was bloating the OS, an updated 10 installation uses 2x less disk space than an updated 7 installation and ~100-200MB less memory. Win10 has a lot of valid flaws in its' privacy flaws and shit but "extra bloat" is entirely false.

>can't provide proof to support his claims
I can invent shit too. Linux is botnet. There.

Why people shill 8 - 8.1 ?

I remember clearly it sucking and after installing w10 for first time I was enlightened with the realization that 8 was just a beta for windows 10.

+ You still had data collection with 8 I clearly remember threads, posts of forums, complaints.

Anyway it doesn't matter, I'm using Linux nowadays.

Point is 10 has more, and feels even more like a beta.

8 was what fucked up expectations and 8.1 came to polish it enough to be usable. Nowadays there's no experimenting with 8.1 so it's pretty much a finished product, and some people want something that doesn't just break up as often.