There is something no one tells you

SO, I finally installed my first non-n00b distro after years of Mint. Not because I was unhappy with the latter, I simply wanted to try something more challenging.

The installation was a little difficult at first, but once i got wifi to work through wpa_supplicant, things went smoothly. Despite not being as intuitive, I learned that the process is fairly straightforward: partition your disk, create filesystems, mount them, run pacstrap and boom. You're almost already good to go.

I set up my trusted i3 environment (which I was already using in Mint) in a matter of seconds thanks to my configuration files backup (try doing that with gui-based settings!) and so far I'm enjoying it. I already started working again on a few programming projects I had started on Mint and so far no issues.

During all this installation and configuration, there is something I realized, something I had never suspected in years: yes, a distribution like Arch requires a lot more work to get it working properly compared to Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, OpenSUSE, etc..., and you'll probably end up with a system no more stable and fast than those. However... I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy every second of it.
It's not the journey, it's the destination. Apart from the obvious stuff you'll learn using such a distro, if you are like me you will even enjoy the process of building your system this way. Even if you aren't actually using for real, productive work, there is something to be said. People have fun in so many retarded ways nowadays, and tinkering with computers and OSs just for fun is definitely much more constructive and rewarding, even if it's an end to itself.

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/prologue/foreword.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

or you could install manjaro and start being productive in less than 10 minutes

>(try doing that with gui-based settings)
I am a KDE user and while we have GUI based settings for everything, they still just configure a configure a config file.
Try it some day, make a small application in C++ and Qt. Use QSettings to to handle the config file, it is really simple.
As for backup, you just copy the file over, nothing magical.

You clearly can't read.

The next challenge is to setup a system exactly like you want it without logging into the system.

Eg, setup a server on a RPi. Install the applications and setup the user and networking by mounting the SD card on your computer.
You can use any distro you want.

Are you retarded? He literally said that he thinks doing an automated process manually is fun.

another faggot thinking that following instructions in wiki is somehow challenging. i run arch because i want fully configurable system and i adore pacman and not because it makes me look smart

OP, if you wanted challenge yourself, you should've built linux from scratch
start here: linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/prologue/foreword.html

Nice blogpost new friend xdddd

>Arch
You've been memed. Switch back to Mint or Ubuntu if you want to get work done

OP you made just one mistake: thinking you could have an honest discussion here

i don't get why people complain about arch so much.
it took me less than a day to install it and make it fully productive. Everything is fast to install and use. In windows i need the entire fucking day just to install visual studio, and there are thousands of processes in background making the computer slow.

>and you'll probably end up with a system no more stable and fast than those.
Disagree. Arch definitely ends up being faster and more stable.

nice blog post

Can any of you help me with i3. For some reason my audacious has starting being persistent on all work spaces. How do i get it to stay in workspace 10

>I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy every second of it
Well, you are obviously Sup Forumstard who likes to tinker with stuff and learn how the things work. So there is nothing surprising in you enjoying setting up your system. Some people go further and start to tinker with Gentoo.
Is it productive? Nah. Could you sell the knowledge that you gain setting up your system? Probably not. But is it enjoyable? Hell yeah! At least for a few couple of times.
For me it's AUR which I consider a step backwards in terms of security and stability of a system. Also constant updates are too tiresome.

Nothing stopping you from installing from source if you have some ideological quandary with the AUR

But what's the point of using Arch then?

Now Install Gentoo. It's fun!

>It's not the journey, it's the destination.
With this logic you should be installing Ubuntu because clearly you don't give a shit about learning, just that you can graduate from the school

reinstall Mint

I would also like to ask if you are retarded?

Yesterday I reinstalled arch on my laptop and I was kinda worried so I tried it 4 times with arch-anywhere but it would never work and I didn't know at the moment what the problem was, so said to myself: this happens when using a installer for arch, so I booted up my arch linux cd and installed my system, same problem, it wouldn't boot up, later I noticed that I booted into legacy mode and I was doing my install for EFI systems, sometimes I am retarded, then I booted up the cd with uefi enabled and did all my grub steps again and it worked.

>manjaro
Enjoy your security holes, out of date packages that break your system and trained monkey's for developers. Install Antergos instead you fucking cucks.

No point at all. The only benefits from Arch are pacman and AUR

>python installer
no thanks
at that point you might as well install ubuntu

>he cares about the installer
Yeah man that installer you see for 3 minutes and then never again sure puts me off the best distro out there. It's a damn shame.

>for 3 minutes
My point was it doesn't fucking work reliably, like ubuntu

I've installed it on probably 5 machines including 2 tablets and never had a problem with it.

I like your attitude, OP

Arch is a step backwards.

We have computers to speed up doing work. to
automate processes for us.

Arch makes the instal manual labor. Any idiot can
copy and paste text from a wiki so you might as
well have an installer.