/sqt/

Stupid Questions Thread
Use a search engine before posting
Not kosher or halal

Other urls found in this thread:

provu.co.uk/technicolor-tg589vac.html#overview
wiki.openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_minimal_all?dataflt[0]=supported current rel_=15.05.1
amazon.com/dp/B01AL7P1FU
wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/sqm
ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Home-Hub-5-Type-A-OpenWRT-compatible-Superfast-Router-Original-PSU-/253136780663?hash=item3af020bd77:g:UxcAAOSw9YNZrwyY
instructables.com/id/Ultimate-Pi-Based-Home-Server/
amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Router-300Mbps-TL-WR841N/dp/B001FWYGJS
forum.lede-project.org/t/build-for-tp-link-tl-wr841n-d-all-versions/428
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Onegaishimasu

im using 'imagus' (the add-on) and its cool
but how do i disable it for Sup Forums X (cos Sup Forums X already expands images (and webms/gifs, so its better))? thanks

What motivates people to make a new thread when they don't have any questions to ask?

I fucked up with Zadig and messed up my keyboard what's should I select to reinstall it?
WinUSB?
libusb?
Is there any way to reset it?

Okay I got it working again I ending up uninstalling from device manger and pluggign it in now and again and eventually it worked.

Are there any potential issues or downsides I might run into if using the iGPU to power my second monitor? As far I understand, it shouldn't affect performance, but could it cause stability issues, or problems with poorly coded games?

I'm just tired of having my r9 390 idle at 70+ W for no good reason at all.

which route to follow in order to get an entry-level job: full stack web dev through Colt Steele's Udemy course The Web Developer Bootcamp; learn c > c++ > java or learn SQL and relational databases (Oracle or SQL Server)? if I can get any other suggestions they would be very welcome

I started signing up through websites through my school email, and I have a feeling this is a bad idea. The school 'owns' everything that goes through the mail server. I don't really have time to set up my own mail server right now, so should I just make a new gmail?

deadbeef keeps resetting the media control keys I have it set to use, how to fix this?

>I started signing up through websites through my school email, and I have a feeling this is a bad idea.
It is.
>The school 'owns' everything that goes through the mail server. I don't really have time to set up my own mail server right now, so should I just make a new gmail?
Yes.

Windows Update has been running for over 2 days and it's still searching.

Why do people use Windows?

>great internet
>2 months ago new house mate
>+1 cellphone, laptop and a TV to stream channels
>internet goes 'up and down' many times during the day
>hard to connect wifi devices
>do tests on my ethernet desktop
>speed is stable at 18-19Mb/s
>how?
>run some vydia
>used to get ping 30
>now it it 130 and goes to 200 sometimes
>can barely get new torrents ( 80 kb/s , used to be 1,2Mb/s )
>do more in depth tests
>bufferbloat 2300ms

>call the provider
>"DUDE, JUST CHANGE TO SHORTER CABLES."
>"DUDE, Y DO YOU NEED BETTER LATENCY, your internet connection is fine."
>ok..

How do I get better ping/latency/bufferbloat like I used to a couple of months ago?

What are you using Zadig for? I've used it for setting up USB-SDR.

>How do I get better ping/latency/bufferbloat like I used to a couple of months ago?

Get a cheap router that you can install openwrt into. Use it.

Enable Quality of Service for yourself.

It's common practice to boot you after your last semester. But maybe if you find the right dick to suck in the IT department...

Sometimes it can be a bit of a pain waking your monitors up after sleep mode, and it's hard to control which one is your primary on boot. Otherwise your solid. It shouldn't do much for you though, unless you're doing some heavy shit on the second monitor.

Which version?

How do I install Vimperator ? Pic related ...
There is one older version that can be installed, but it lacks basic functions such as 'tabopen'

Wait, do you have any of these problems over ethernet?

I tried but couldn't find the relevant option on the Router's website/settings.

I can look into that. I am hesitant to 'break' it though. Can you reverse that process?
This is what we got, landlord brought it 2 weeks ago to 'fix the problem'. Problem remains:
provu.co.uk/technicolor-tg589vac.html#overview

Yes, if I open qbittorrent now, it will 'drop' for a few minutes and then get some retarded speeds of 80kb/s.
While it will make it very hard to connect new devices, cellphones, for the next 10 mins.

It wasn't the case a month or 2 ago.

If you're going to buy an open wrt router, check support. You can snag pre-open wrt loaded ones much cheaper than marketed open wrt ones.

So this impacts you even when you have no wireless devices connected to the network?

Here's the list from their website
wiki.openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_minimal_all?dataflt[0]=supported current rel_=15.05.1

>pre-open wrt loaded ones
wut

>I am hesitant to 'break' it though. Can you reverse that process?
Get a job if you can't afford to break this:
amazon.com/dp/B01AL7P1FU

Get the source, change the version values in the manifest (I think it's manifest.rfd but I'm not sure), compile, install from file and pray nothing breaks.
DESU you're better off using a shittier addon (vimium) or a shittier browser (qutebrowser) since soon it won't even load in firefox.

Installing it yourself compared to marketed ones

It is a bit hard to explain. I see that whenever you try to do something 'extra' in the house (connect a new device, turn on the TV to stream, open a torrenting app) then it 'drops' for some minutes. After sometime seems to come back.
In the meantime not even Google.com can be reached.
Torrents seem to be fuckslow in general.
Direct downloads are good as long as you don't at that time when you add a new thing to the network.

Thank you
Like ebay? any tips on what to look for? Features, etc?

Okay, did you run the bufferbloat test from a wired pc?

XP

>It is a bit hard to explain. I see that whenever you try to do something 'extra' in the house (connect a new device, turn on the TV to stream, open a torrenting app) then it 'drops' for some minutes. After sometime seems to come back.
Your wifi spectrum may be crowded too.

Yeah, don't just check the model number. Check the compatibility list to see if any versions aren't supported, and only buy one you know is. Also you need one that supports barrier breaker or newer. I'd go with LEDE instead of OpenWRT if you're installing your own.

Yeah, OS from 2003 fucking up now doesn't even count as a valid complaint. Good luck with that though. Maybe bum around the mydigitallife forums

Yes, from dslreports.com

Sounds like chinese because I have never been into that. Are those Pre-loaded OpenWRT ones worth it?
Like:

GL.iNet GL-MT300N Mini Travel Router, Wi-Fi Converter, OpenWrt Pre-installed, Repeater Bridge, 300Mbps High Performance, OpenVPN Client, Tor Compatible

Actually the GL.iNET is not enough. I need more ethernet sockets at the back.
Will look into LEDE on youtube , learn more.

They're worth it in the sense that you don't have to spend hours learning to flash a router. You sound like a person who values that.

I tried burning Raspian Turnkey mix that guide on how to set up my raspberry pi as a home server linked me and my raspberry pi won't boot up now. The red light turns on and doesn't flash at all, there is no green light. I tried burning other OS designed for the pi to the sd card but still nothing. Anyway way I can fix this problem or work out what the problem is?

I am good with those things. Ye. I get super into it and the autismo kicks in.
I think there is no other option.
The provider actually said they will put my line under 'Gamer profile'.
I think it will do nothing. Might as well try flashing an old/cheap router.

I need a PC for school, 3d modeling and of course muh games.
There is a good deal for this one near me and I can't buy anything from Amazon in my country

15.6 inch
I7 3610
Ram 8gb
1TB HDD
Nvidia geforce gt 635 (2gb)
And DOS that explain the price.

Should I?

>spend hours learning to flash a router.
>download trunk image
>log into router
>admin
>update firmware
>drag n drop open wrt
There goes my weekend

It's a Lenovo ideapad Z500

How did you burn

Mkay. When you're up and running, you're going to need to download the SQM plugin. Use that speed test guide from the other day to determine the minimum speed you ever hit, then shave like 15% off of that. Then plug that stat into SQM as your connection's top speed.

D-does it really take hours??

15 minutes tops
Go read their wiki

The plot thickens...

Games don't run very well on a GT, much less on an old model like the 635. What's your budget?

I used Etcher

It's more that if you don't know what you're doing, it's easy to brick a router. More often it just doesn't work though, and it's back to the drawing board. It's also surprisingly easy to accidentally buy a router that isn't compatible, or one that's too old to support the feature you need, or one that requires to compile some weird ass custom version of the kernel.

>When you're up and running, you're going to need to download the SQM plugin.
Nope, default works nice. Don't tweak the defaults till you really know what you are doing.

Something like 600$
It's different in my country here 600$ is more than 2 month of the average salary.
This one is the cheapest I could find for these specs.

Dude, if you don't know what sqm is, you've got a few hours of researching of your own to do. It is literally THE reason to get openwrt. It's also the direct and pretty much only real solution to his bufferbloat problem.

That goes a bit far. I will try the most vanilla/default versions before I try to get deep if I really need to.
I just want my bufferbloat back..

I will look into it.

Openwrt comes with fq_codel or something to get rid of bufferbload already. No need to download another package.

Is a desktop out of the question? Laptops with a remotely decent GPU that can play games are a bit more expensive.

wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/sqm

>Current versions of OpenWrt have SQM and fq_codel built in.

Quick initial google search looks like they are expensive as fuck.
$80-200 routers..

I need it for school so yes also desktop are much more expensive because of taxes .

I use a wndr 3800 I bought for 20 bucks on ebay.

kek.

1. Uninstall qos-scripts and luci-app-qos

2. Install the luci-app-sqm package

He was linked to a chaos router. Also cake > codel

Could something like this be ok?
Is it possible they are selling bricked routers?
Maybe they are openwrt compatible but NOT compatible witht he latest versions.

ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Home-Hub-5-Type-A-OpenWRT-compatible-Superfast-Router-Original-PSU-/253136780663?hash=item3af020bd77:g:UxcAAOSw9YNZrwyY

Oops

Latest version compatibility

What do they recommend on their website? Try unetbootin or linux live

This was the guide I was using, It presumed I was using windows : instructables.com/id/Ultimate-Pi-Based-Home-Server/
It told me to use windiskimgr

You need at least barrier breaker to get SQM

Can anyone recommend a source to learn computer hardware / machine architecture for beginners, but doesn't treat the reader like a complete moron? I want to learn this from the ground up. How much time should I spend on physics/ electricity and magnetism?

Are you NOT on windows? Use the dd command
so
sudo dd if=/raspbian.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=512k
That'll work
sudo fdisk -l to find which drive, make sure you mount it

if i run 2 ssd in raid-0, will that double the write endurance?

can anyone help with this imagus question?

If the directions to bake a cake are 45 min at 350F, would it be ok to put it in for 22.5 min at 700F?

no, but raid and baking a cake are different. in a raid-0 of 2 256gb drives you still only have 256gb, so in that case one would think that the total writes to each drive would be reduced by 50%, half on each drive
is that correct thinking?

Sounds like a shitty router or something. What's your setup? What router are you using or are you using just the modem router combo the isp gave to you?

I would also like to know this

Thanks, I'll try this later

>in a raid-0 of 2 256gb drives you still only have 256gb
no, a raid0 of 2*256GB is 512GB, it's just striping
for example, lets say you have disk "A" and disk "B" and they have four sectors, it's like this;
disk A;
AAAA
disk B;
BBBB
raid0 of A and B;
ABABABAB

>total writes to each drive would be reduced by 50%, half on each drive
yes, for example, a 10GB file on that raid0 would have 5GB of the file on each disk, the wear is spread across both disks

Get this amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Router-300Mbps-TL-WR841N/dp/B001FWYGJS

Flash it with any of these precompiled firmwares: forum.lede-project.org/t/build-for-tp-link-tl-wr841n-d-all-versions/428
If you need QoS there's an image with that, if you need dnscrypt there's an image for that.

i was not aware of this, thanks user that actually helps a ton, exactly what i needed to know

What's the best free web crawler?

np, you can also see in that basic example why raid0 can be dangerous
since everything you put on it is split into small stripes, losing a disk in the raid means every file larger than a single stripe will be full of holes
like say you have;
ABABABAB
and a file takes up say, 5 stripes, so;
ABABABAB
^^^^^ file is on these
and "B" dies, you're left with;
A-A-A-A-
^?^?^
where "?" is missing data

why do people use ./something.sh instead of bash something.sh?

i know how striping works, just for whatever reason i thought raid-0 only allowed for twice the speed at half the capacity
i was looking into this trying to figure out what would be best for a scratch disk, so really if i lost any data due to disk failure i wouldnt lost anything, since all that data is also stored in other places. Looks like raid-0 is the best option desu, better performance and increased drive size. Would that be fine to do through a software implementation? like with 2 m.2 drives?

>i thought raid-0 only allowed for twice the speed at half the capacity
you might be mixing up raid1 (mirror), where the same data is maintained across multiple disks
this allows for faster read speed, as the system can read multiple (parts of) files at the same time from multiple disks, but since the disks store the exact same data, you only have the capacity of one of the disks
write speed is also no better than the slowest disk, since that's the bottleneck (if you wrote faster to one disk, then by definition they can't contain the same data)

raid0 is good for a scratch disk, it's really all it's good for, at least by itself. it's also mixed with other raid levels, such as "raid10" or "raid50" to try to strike a balance of tradeoffs between them

>Would that be fine to do through a software implementation? like with 2 m.2 drives?
yes, i would recommend software raid where you can, it's much more flexible, and you aren't tied to specifc raid cards
whatever you do, for the love of god, do not use fakeraid (that is, on-motherboard raid), this has the disadvantages of both raid cards and software raid

>fakeraid
I know to avoid on motherboard shit, ive just typically been leery of software raid. most of what I've done raid wise has been better suited/required hardware raid, so in this case i just wanted to be sure.
since the endurance ratings will be higher I should be fine going with something like 960 evos for the drives right? i was leaning towards something like a rd400 even though the performance is a bit lower due to the 50% higher write endurance, but now im not sure given the higher price/lower performance

Because something.sh will not reference a file in the current directory in BASH like cmd would. It would search places in your $PATH instead. ./ is the relative path to the file something.sh. For more information, look up directory traversal.

it's worth pointing out i'm only personally familiar with zfs, btrfs, and mdadm software raid
whatever windows has, i can't speak for, you haven't mentioned any OS, but just so i'm clear

also, i have no experience with SSD's, i'm too poor for those, so i can't advise on specifics

What does one do as a programmer at a consulting firm?

everything would be done in a virtual windows installation, and would be win 8.1, so in that case it's called "storage spaces". I'm somewhat familiar. I've only worked with it once but it isnt too difficult. most of my experience comes from zfs as well, but also some basic raid 5 and raid 10 under linux. any way it goes though thanks for the help

How do I run js on downloaded html file?
I want to wget a html file, run magic javascript on it to extract links, wget those html files, run magic js to extract other data and store it.

np, since it's just for scratch, it should not be hard to change it later if need be, just read into things as you go, benchmark, find alternatives, benchmark those, etc. it sound like i don't need to tell you that different workloads benefit from different setups (like raid type, stripe size, etc), so what you end up with will need to be tested with your own load in the end, if you want to most out of it

Hi, hopefully a pretty simple question: Refurbished laptops, yay or nay?

So you basically want to crawl a site? Doesnt wget have options for downloading links?

Check catalog, get all active threads.
Visit each active thread and extract info from specific DOM objects.
When thread dies, feed that extracted info to another application for further processing.
There's no JSON api, so I have to do it in a fucked up way.

How do I use Soulseek on Debian?

I've had a very positive experience from my refurbed laptop. I'm still using it 7 years later.

I would opt to write something like that in a normal scripting language like Python with beautifulsoup. Running js outside of a browser environment is a wonky task, but you could maybe do it with node.js or v8.

what is the best free PHP forum software?