/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:
Image source:
instagram.com/vernitez30/

Other urls found in this thread:

stuartsemple.com/projects/black-v1-0-beta-worlds-mattest-flattest-black-art-material/
hodinkee.com/articles/mct-vantablack-hands-on
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Of course today, if you were comfortable wearing an expensive mechanical dive watch while diving, you'd actually wear an in-house Pelagos as it's a much better functional tool diver at this point.

Beib that's what I'm talking about

is true

btw when people say a dive watch should be bigger they mean big as in the sub or pelagos not 45 mm

Is there any watch that has a Vantablack dial color?

For those who don't know: vantablack is a newly created coating that absorbs 99.92% of light.

Remove the dial, apply it, insert back in?
You have the only watch in the world with that coating.

Good luck and Godspeed.

Do some smaller eco drives exist al all? (40mm or less), I fucking love some models but the 45mm cases are overkill

god 3mm is huge
disgraceful I'm puking rn

Afaik you can't simply purchase it.

Well get this then.

stuartsemple.com/projects/black-v1-0-beta-worlds-mattest-flattest-black-art-material/

How much is this watch worth? Found it on an auction. Supposedly in perfect condition.

Maybe $50, could go up to 120 if you really really like it

Depends how much you have to pay to the guy who takes out your trash.

Literally first Google hit for vantablack watch.
hodinkee.com/articles/mct-vantablack-hands-on

???

That picture is an excellent demonstration of how much better the Pelagos looks and how much better the Pelagos is finished.

I really am puking at that hideous Seiko, incidentally.

BM8180 is 37mm.

Post your 1000 €/$/£ wristwatch cumulation/wishlist below, shitters and used watches very welcome. I'll start in a minute.

I really want a Orient Star GMT and an Orient Ray II and that's around that ball park off the top of my head.
Other wise a Seiko Turtle and a Fleiger of some description fit that price range.

Looks like trash

my try, pretty stupid though since you can get a new Sinn 104 for the same price.

recently looked at the Orient (Star) GMT models and I have to say the main problem with them I think is that it seems kinda hard to discern which hand is for what time unit on some of the models. They often look the same at a glance. Also there's a similar thing as with Grand Seiko: Why pay this much for what's still an Orient.
Plus they look like they wear just a tad too bigly.
They have a good reputation though and the new movement from the Ray 2 seems to be really good actually.

those two are not even in the same league.

that wasn't my point! the pelagos costs $3200 more. my point is about people that act like wearing a 42mm diameter scuba diving wristwatch or wearing a 45mm diameter scuba diving wristwatch is the difference between being tasteful or not.

42mm = tasteful gentleman's watch
45mm = hideous oversized puke

Yea Orient seems to have this constant problem of their hands being too short.

This is the GMT I'm looking at doesn't really have a hand problem any more than a Rolex with it being bright red. A guy asked about cheaper GMT's here and I looked for the recommended ones locally and found this. It's second hand so pretty cheap but still a little too much for me to get right now so I'm still looking for better deals.

Welcome to haute horology, where the only people who can afford the timepieces are super well off rappers or sports stars.

Well I guess I'll be building my own Sturmanskie now. I'll be using NOS parts, I already got the dial, hands and movement (pic, looks like it's made around '89-'90), and a NOS steel case shouldn't be hard either, but I don't want to blow all my pay all at once and starve till the end of the month.

I'll pass the time by servicing the movement, since the factory oils are long dead. It's gonna be my first mechanical chronograph job, yay! Also I wanted to get a movement holder, but while they make a fuckton of them for the Valjoux 7750 it seems there's none for the V7734, and the two movements are different size, with the 7750 being around a millimeter smaller in diameter.

hhhhhhhhhhng

how hard would it be for these fags to restart the production of these models?

thanks. Any other model?

Probably harder than to make it worth, Seiko basically abandoned LCD tech years ago.

what about this one

I like the ability to rotate the internal 24 hour bezel. Those both look fixed.
>regular hands for local time
>24 hour hand for GMT
>bezel as time zone of interest

Thoughts on Giugiaro's designs other than the Ripley watch?

excursionist

There's this panerai with a vantablack dial. An image isn't going to show you just how black it is, of course.

I really like that

49mm diameter, hope your wrists are THICC enough :^)

nouveau riche tier

ArchieLuxury

Yes.

I have posted a pic of my wrists before with a 40mm watch and it looked normal. If I remember when I get back from work I will cut a 49mm from a circle guide thing I have at home and post a pic.

Don't forget that 49mm is only to the edge of the bezel, not the lugs, the rest of the case, or the huge fuckoff crown.

the super black dial is cool, everything else is just yuck

What case material is that? It looks interesting. If it were 5 mm smaller and made by a company other than Panerai I would totally consider it.

It's some sort of carbon fiber composite.

God why do Panerais have to be so huge and overpriced for what they are? Why can't they just make it 38~42mm like every other normal diver?

That doesn't look too big if you consider that guy in the pic has a tiny wrist. I don't really have anything to take a picture comparing my wrist size here but my phone (Samsung S8) is about the same width as across the top of my wrist.

ok how about this one

Like profile width looking straight down

Do you not see how the lugs are visibly overhanging his wrists? It looks like a kid trying on his dad's Submariner.

>Vostok Europe
I would honestly trust an actual Vostok made in Chistopol more than those things.

No I see that and agree, that's why I said he has little wrists. Going off my crude phone width thing my wrists total width is a little less than 68 maybe 65 total width, his is close to maybe 54. Difference in our wrist widths assuming no camera fuckery which there will be our wrists are near 1cm difference in width.
Like I said I'll try to remember to take a pic later on and then we will see. Might even try find the actual dimensions and cut out a trace of the Watch.

Opinions on this? I thought it looked fairly interesting, had nice complications for the price along with an in-house caliber apparently. Then I noticed the 11 and am unsure how I feel about it.

Huh, after looking into it, that watch has some really interesting tech, and wouldn't suffer the 'lmao unmodified ETA' problem that other Panerais do. Any idea how they measure the 49 mm? If that is the longest measure, from corner to corner, the watch might not actually be too bad.

>If that is the longest measure, from corner to corner
Nope.

>there will never be a blue sarb033
Why are we here? Just to suffer?

It's pure sex of a watch. I love the 4 digit year.

Get a SARX047.

I can't afford a $700 watch.

There was the sarb045.
Some of the blue LM Special models might be close enough for you.

Cut numerals is honestly IWC's thing at this point. They manage to get away with it too because of the "muh heritage that goes back to when watch makers couldn't afford to make specialized dials". Also IWC's own website says that it's 43mm, unless I'm looking at another model.

There's the SARB045 too, but the indices are larger.

It would look weirder without the 11 than it does with the cut off 1.
That watch would be fine without the 12 and 6 though.

Yeah the only way to "fix" the Da Vinci would be to either make the numerals smaller so that the 11 isn't cut off, or just omit all of them completely. They did remove the cut numbers from the regular portugieser though, which is kind of weird since the chrono still has them.

Very nice. Great strap too.

This just looks off to me because there is so much white space. It is busy enough that it can't really be that subdued or dressy, but it is also really empty for such a sporty watch. I mean, they cut off three numerals, and the font is tiny anyway, but for what?

You people are all watch plebians. This is one of the worst watch communities I've ever seen. You all wank to watches that you don't have, and call good watches trash or puke material. You are all poor bittorrenting pirates and anime faggots.

(You)

The BMW M1 is beautiful, the Golf was very influential for automotive design. I have a Nikon F3 and I think it's the best camera ever made and it looks great too. I like the Ripley watch, but the other Giugiaro Seikos are ugly.

ARRRRRGGG YE SCURVY DOG, YE DISCOVERED THE SECRET TO ME LOVE O DIVERS.

>tfw you'll never be Ocean Man with a collection of vintage divers

Give me time. I started embracing the beach aesthetic after my time in San Diego. If I end up moving to California (about a 30% chance at this point), my fate will be sealed.

I want to do lewd things to a watch

I'm not following.

>$3500 to about $4500
It's a nice watch, don't get me wrong, but I'd honestly get a Tudor or Seamaster at that point.

Is junghans good?

Yeah.

>200m
junk

>mfw my $70 Vostok goes as deep, if not possibly deeper, as a $4000 Seiko

Now post pics of you actually diving to/past 200m.

This looks like a good strap for $20, whered you get it?

seiko males will defend this

they can't they will just combine us all into one person and say we are destroying the thread. Luckily all the cucks live in Canada so the seiko males are all already pre-segregated.

Any watch snobs prefer custom issues? or is that like pimping your ride?

I'm a weeb so I like the Galaxy Express 999 special edition.

Canada has the vintage Seikofags. There are plenty of us in the states, just without such an awesome watchmaker.

honest question. can you point out what aspects are objectively better finished.

Not him, but just about every way, the most obvious being the ill-fitting bracelet

There's so many Speedmaster special editions that they honestly stop being special.

Why doesn't Hamilton produce the Murph watch? It's such a great watch, and they could even charge extra just for being in Intersteller.

holy crap that is an actual thing!

how so

They are owned by Swatch so that is kind of weird that they wouldn't make some special edition.

I like how it's stealth weeb by putting it on the back instead of on the dial like some special edition Speedys.

If you can't tell just by looking at that image, then I can't help you.

The edges to each surface are much crisper, with much less of a transition bevel than the Seiko, the surfaces are much more consistently shaped without the oblong chicklet effect on the bracelet links. The end links fit the case much better, the gaps everywhere in the bracelet are smaller, there is much more machining done to cut in the grip pattern on the rotating bezel, there is much more machining done to cut in the grip pattern on the crown, the brushed surfaces have a much nicer brushing pattern.

look at the machining on the bezels and cases as well as the bracelets. The tolerances, initial machining, and finishing are all far superior on the tudor. Its clear at a distance and glaringly obvious with a shot like this.

>ends question with a period
>can't tell A from B in such a glaringly obvious comparison
Are you a nigger, underage, or troll?

I don't even care how over priced swatch makes it too. It ticks all my boxes except perhaps movement. Great dial, great hands, fitting case and finish, no date/day, and good lume.