ASUS ZenBook UX430UA

Will this laptop be good enough for programming? It has to endure at least 3 years, and I'm gonna install linux on it and probably gonna play with virtual machines too.
Mostly worried about the processor and RAM (non-upgradeable).

The specs are:
128GB m.2 SSD
4GB RAM
core i3- 7100U 2.4 Ghz
Intel HD Graphics 620

It costs about 850$ here and I don't feel like spending any more. Also it looks damn good.

A Lenovo or Dell would be a better choice even if it is used. The Asus isn't going to hold up and the battery will crap out on you and hold a quarter of the charge in 2 years.

>4GB RAM

It's not even good enough for web browsing.

Anemic garbage, barely good enough for browsing.

You won't compile shit or run any decent VM on that.

Wait for Raven Ridge

just get a dell xps if you want a fancy slim laptop with nice screen

Can't, I need one now.

In sweden the cheapest xps is ALOT more exensive than the asus ZenBook. Like several hundred dollars.

Also, I found this Lenovo 310S, pic related.
Better specs, still good looking and a similar price. Only thing is I think the screen is a bit too big.

>Anemic garbage, barely good enough for browsing.
>You won't compile shit or run any decent VM on that.
With that ram no but cpu is fine. Ram and ssd is more important now than recent cpus.

tfw the USA is the only country (seemingly) that has cheap as shit decent laptops.

>look up random reviews for laptops on youtube
>some amazing cheap shit asus with 8000 5 star ratings on amazon us, great specs, 500 usd
>amazon japan, equivalent of 900 usd

Epic.

Oh, you can get the same specs (plus a 1TB HDD) for $400

Buy Acer Aspire E15 E5-575-33BM for $350, and add a $50 128GB SSD.

Saved you $450.

Forgot to mention the specs to Lenovo 310S.

8GB RAM
256GB SSD
core i5 7200U 3.1Ghz
Intel HD Graphics 620

I will buy a thinkpad e470 with the same specs

For vms and programming

End yourself OP

I've got an ASUS K501UX, bought it for 700$.
>8GB RAM.
>128GB SSD.
>1TB HDD.
>i7 6500U
>Nvidia gtx950m

I can literally run anything I want on it, I've never encountered an unrunnable or low-performing program.

>End yourself OP

Yeah excuse me for not wanting to spend a fortune on a laptop I'll only use while studying while also having a perfectly good pc at home.

Hm, maybe. Still a bit more expensive and it weighs a bit more and it's not as good looking.

You just said you're planning to blow 850$ on a shitty laptop, and I tell you a good one for 700$.
>i don't want to spend a fortune

I like them. They seem professional for me. I really don't like gayming ones

a fucking z3735 is good enough for coding. its literally text. unless youre running the test environment, you dont need a cray 2

I've bought the i5 / 8GiB RAM version of this in May... Asus is trying to copy Apple with their notebook series here. Some people already thought I was an Apple fag.

The keyboard sometimes doesn't register, media keys are missing and the turn on/off button is at a shitty position. The screen is okay though and the battery life is pretty good. Performance wise, I haven't had any issues so far.

When I bought it, it cost me 900€, but there was a 100€ cashback campaign. I haven't seen the money yet though and need to contact them again for the 4th time tomorrow or so, which is super annoying. The cashback form on their website required a Windows license key, which was not included in the box, and had to be retrieved through the preinstalled Windows 10. Unfortunately, I immediately installed Arch, and there was no way for me to restore it, so I had to contact support several times until they finally changed the registration form on their website, so I was able to submit it.

Regarding Linux, the fan controls are pretty retarded and you'll need to do some customizations, so that the fan doesn't start spinning while idling. There's an unfinished asus-fan repo on github which doesn't work yet with this model, but there are some workarounds which are working quite well and I managed to increase the terminal threshold, so that the fan will only start spinning while having a higher CPU/GPU load for a few seconds. It then turns off really quickly again, making it a nearly silent notebook while browsing or working.

All in all, it's a 8/10 or maybe 7.5/10. The keyboard and fan are the biggest disappointments so far.

You linked me a gaming laptop, I dont have any need of that. I've already got a gaming desktop at home. Also, I stated 4GB RAM was probably too little and the laptop you linked has precisely 4GB.

And I cant even find it anywhere in Sweden. Shitty country.

Yeah, it's a bit apple looke-a-like but I still think it looks good.

Really don't care about media keys or the on/off button. Key's not registrering is not good, but I doesnt happen that often I suppose?

Hm, is it hard to fix the linux customizations? Have barely never used linux before.

Still, if I go for it I'll probably buy the i3/4GB version. The one you bought just costs too much.

You can get used to the keyboard, you just have to press the keys correctly...
The fan customizations weren't that hard. I just had to install one package and followed some instructions of a github thread. I then wrote a systemd service for automatically adjusting the fans on startup.
I'm not sure that you'll be happy with 4GiB RAM, if you intend to run VMs...
I replaced a notebook I had for 8 years with this one. And I think that this new one will last even longer. So maybe you should think twice here...

>programming
>not owning a retina macbook pro

haven't meet a single profitable programmer that doesn't use a mac

>profitable
>nu-programmer bigender demiqueer working for Jewlge thanks to Diversity Action with their hipster macbook that doesn't know what code is.

>ASUS

LOLOL

>a buzzword for every year of unemployment

Fuck it, I'll buy the i5/8GB version that you also have. It'll cost but hopefully it'll last and I wont have to upgrade to another laptop in at least a couple of years.

Get an HP 8770w.
Get 8-16GBs of RAM if you want VMs.
Swap the GPU with an MX000M quadro for added longevity.

Can confirm the battery. Not to mention that Flexus laptops break if you hold it while its hot.