/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/baskerville/sxhkd/issues/101
hastebin.com/raw/ulelupiceg
sourcemage.org/Init).
sourcemage.org/Spell/Book
sourcemage.org/
sourcemage.org/Install/Chroot
pastebin.com/i4DALaNV
hackerfall.com/story/the-truth-about-purism-why-librem-is-not-the-same
stallman.org/archives/2011-jul-oct.html#06_October_2011_(Steve_Jobs)
stallman.org/archives/2011-jul-oct.html#27_October_2011_(Steve_Jobs)
knowyourmeme.com/memes/bait-this-is-bait
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Swap#Swappiness
askubuntu.com/questions/103915/how-do-i-configure-swappiness
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swappiness
github.com/smxi/inxi
amazon.com/Chromebook-Rockchip-Pearl-White-Light/dp/B00VUV0MG0/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Richard Stallman is a communist and a zealot.

Nice pic.

What the hell kid.

I installed Arch on my laptop for fun, but there's no internet access on it after the installation finishes. Not even through cable (the interface's up tho) How do I fix this?

Free software sucks.

How did you configure your network?
dhcp?
netctl?
systemd-networkd?
journalctl -xe

Where the heck is that young ladies top

You suck.

Void Linux is a pretty good Gnu/Linux distro

It's void of packages though. If i wanted to manage all software manually i would use slack

It's dreck

Install Gentoo

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

My GPU just died. I removed it and connected the integrated one to my monitor, but now Debian doesn't boot to a GUI.
Tried "service lightdm start" but it does nothing, and apparently fails to start.
I can't for the life of me figure out how to regain the video output. GRUB and the framebuffer work automatically, but X doesn't start.
I'm on Debian Buster (next stable) with Linux 4.12.

11769 binary packages is enough for me

Install Arch

None, only used wifi-menu during the installation. I guess it was a too big step for me after Debian

You need to configure your fucking network before you can use it assfag.
Read the god damn wiki for wifi and use netctl

Install Source mage

post Xorg.0.log

Which distro boots the fastest?

Gentoo

The one I'm using.

>everyday the same repeating topics

What are some cool terminal commands?

gentoo with systemd and other optimizations for fast booting

Try "yes"

best command

>red hat
sudo rm -rf ~

so for any of you familiar with Suckless software, specifically Surf,
how the shit do I customize it now? I just learned that they released version 2.0. I downloaded it and began to inspect the config.h and... there's nothing there.
In 0.6, I could customize the homepage, colors/themes, bookmarks, keybinds, everything. Now there's nothing in there and it doesn't seem like the settings are anywhere else either

what gives? did they just remove those features or what?

My install is freezing when it hits the swap file. Few times I opened some large pictures (10,000x10,000) and I couldn't even move the cursor. Everything was fucking frozen.
I have 16GB or RAM + 16GB swap partition.
I did manage to get control back but it took like 30 seconds.
WTF is going on?
How do I prevent this from happening?
HALP!

I have a program that refuses to print something when stdout is not a terminal (so command > file doesn't work). Any ideas for a workaround?

>noobuntu girl
She's cute.

systemd-cgtop -h

Anyone here using sxhkd with lemonbar ?
How the hell do you autohide the panel ?
github.com/baskerville/sxhkd/issues/101

Searching for good cli/tui programs for monitoring shit like system, network, etc.

Already got htop.

wonder what she looks like now... prolly fat with some kids. kek.

Took me a while to figure out how to upload it. Here it is: hastebin.com/raw/ulelupiceg
I think it's still expecting the ATI GPU, but it also can't find a screen?

Advanced users of GNU/Linux (and I mean advanced), remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution, and (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:
Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
With even the documentation licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
No systemd (they've implemented their own init scripts system sourcemage.org/Init).
Uses clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can heal broken installs.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portage (or ports-like) package manager? With SMGL's "sorcery" you get all that. Making new spells (package build files) not found in the grimoire (repository of spells) is easy sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Bash hackers welcome! Come and join sourcemage.org/

Installing SMGL is easy, here's the simplified process:
>boot a live Ubuntu (or whatever) USB drive
>go to SMGL website and download compressed archive of the base system
>partition and mount partition(s)
>extract the archive onto the new partition(s)
>chroot, set root passwd, hostname, configure network and locale, write fstab, install grub/lilo
>reboot
>compile a kernel (preferably the newest stable one from kernel.org)
>update sorcery, grimoires and the build toolchain
>rebuild the system (hold spells you've already built, so you don't build them twice)
The install guide will hold your hand through the whole process sourcemage.org/Install/Chroot
Do the chroot method, since the regular live ISO method guide is out of date currently.

Here's a list of common commands: pastebin.com/i4DALaNV

Sup niggas

Solus

why not just use conky?

fuck off kevin

Does adding GNU before Linux in applications makes me look better or worse to a potential employer?
I'm thinking adding GNU makes me look involved in the community and I'm not some fag that installed Mandriva 10 years ago and hasn't touched Linux since but at the same time I feel like it makes me look like a stallman worshiper that eats shit from his foot.
Thought?

inxi
bmon
ncdt/Ncdu
multiTail/lnav
vnStat/iftop
procps (ps, free, vmstat, top, pmap, nice)
Sysstat (sar, mpstat, pidstat, iostat, sadf)
nmon

drop the gnu, you're looking to get into the for profit game, people will tend to be wary of you if you indicate a gnu mindset. I'm not saying it's right, but it is what it is

It's time to face the facts. Richard Stallman is nothing more than a whining, overly obese autistic manbaby who has not done anything beneficial for the computing OR technology world in the past 20 years. Seriously. Name something that RMS has done after 1995 besides bitching, crying, and moaning about bullshit that does not matter, or making some retarded, incomprehensible speech.

He demands that Linux be called GNU/Linux. That is fucking insane. The only reason GNU, GPL, and FSF are still a THING is because of Linus and the invention of Linux. If anything, Stallman should rename GNU to Linux/GNU, because without Linus, the GNU, GPL, and FSF would not be a thing anymore.

Stallman still has the fucking gonads to act like he's superior to everyone else. Saying shit such as "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone" right after Steve Jobs' death. What an asshole. Stallman has not even programmed a single line of code since 2008, that was AFTER he essentially stopped in 1992.

He should be fucking grateful Linus stepped in to save his ass, and even allowing him to take partial credit for his achievements. If it wasn't for Linus, he would be nothing, he would probably be dead in a Burger King dumpster right now.

Besides, what has he ever even done? He claims to have written eMacs, but in reality he actually cloned gosmacs (the first eMacs that was made for UNIX). He didn't even write 50% of the code in eMacs.

You might say he wrote GCC and GDB, but the truth is that he initally wrote the C compiler, but now the vast majority for the same compiler is done by contributors.

He's a washed up, morbidly obese man who tries to stay relevant by having these retarded arguments that are similar to those found in the Soviet Union. Face it GNU/Freetards, Richard Stallman is a fat dickhead, and the only reason his name is still in the books is because of Linus's achievements.

Better when it's on paper, less so when it's coming out of your mouth. I doubt it'll make you look bad saying it a few times. But if you have to keep saying it over and over I'd drop the GNU or it'll make them wonder if you're an activist or something.
and especially if they say "Linux" themselves, I wouldn't push the GNU.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you proprietary slave? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class at Harvard, and I’ve been involved in numerous free software projects, and I have contributed to over 300 core-utils for GNU. I am skilled in Lisp and I’m St. IGNU-cius, saint of the Church of Emacs. You are nothing to me but just another unethical non-free software advocate. I will distribute the fuck out of your source code with freedom the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit about me and the GPL on the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my colleagues at FSF and your binaries are being reversed engineered right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your copyright. You're fucking dead, kid. Free software can be anywhere, anytime, and it can ensure your freedom in over four ways, and that’s just with the GPLv2. Not only am I extensively skilled at hacking, but I have access to the source of the entire GNU userland and core-utils and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable proprietary code off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what ethical retribution your little “clever” program was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have ensured your users' freedom. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit free as in freedom all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

What's the word on Purism? Only threads I found in search were outright marketing OPs.

hackerfall.com/story/the-truth-about-purism-why-librem-is-not-the-same

>Saying shit such as "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone" right after Steve Jobs' death. What an asshole.
He actually never said that.

I prefer librem's computer themselves, not the distro.

Actually real stallman.org, faggot

I did. Maybe you should?
stallman.org/archives/2011-jul-oct.html#06_October_2011_(Steve_Jobs)

And this: stallman.org/archives/2011-jul-oct.html#27_October_2011_(Steve_Jobs)

What makes people posting this every day?

mental defect.

it's a direct reaction to gnufaggotry trying to grab all the glory from linus' hard work

knowyourmeme.com/memes/bait-this-is-bait

Just consider: the GNU Project starts developing an operating system, and years later Linus Torvalds adds one important piece. The GNU Project says, “Please give our project equal mention,” but Linus says, “Don't give them a share of the credit; call the whole thing after my name alone!” Now envision the mindset of a person who can look at these events and accuse the GNU Project of egotism.

>linus' hard work
~98% of of Linux is written by companies and the community.

It was more like Linus saying "people can call it like they want" and giving foot to anti-gnu fuckers from Microsoft and company to bury the importance of the GNU project for a while.

>No devices detected.
Its not finding your card. Do you have an xorg.conf?

So I've been using entry level distros for a while now, and I'm considering moving on to Void as my first DIY. Am I going to regret this?

void is void of packages

It's an empty file.

I just tried KDE for the first time. And now I can say it's fucking trash.

>I can't read, the post

>t. GNOMElet

"I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone" - Richard Stallman on Steve Jobs, misquoting a Chicago Mayor

Lower the swappiness by a large degree. In general, the more amount of RAM you have, the lower the swappiness should be. You can basically set it to 0.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Swap#Swappiness
askubuntu.com/questions/103915/how-do-i-configure-swappiness
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swappiness

Glad you finally got it.

Shit's broken af. GNOME at least give you a great out of the box experience.

He meant what he said, faggot.

Are there any compositors on GNU/Linux that actually work with high refresh rates? i have a 144Hz monitor but the only way to actually use it is to disable compositing, which of course causes screen tearing and stuttering. I've tried GNOME, KDE and LXQT and when I enable vsync they all lock to 60, regardless of what I do. I enabled 144Hz in the Nvidia Settings menu, but that only affects the mouse. Any drawn windows and internet browsers still run at 60fps causing judder. Is there any way to actually lock fps to 144? Tried editing the kwin config file, changed MaxFPS, RefreshRate and Vblank all to 144 and that did fuck all.

Whats wrong with that?

At least KDE doesn't remove features

xfwm4

GNOME has a terrible oob experience, it's like the Windows 8 of GNU/Linux.
>no real menus on screen
>click applications tab
>vomits icons all over your screen
Fuck that shitty tablet DE.

>GNUfag logic: reject Stallman said a thing and when he gets called out say there is nothing wrong with what he said

Who needs menus when you already know what you have on your computer? Just go to Activities and type what you want.

>inxi
>looking this to see more info
>literally the most autistic readme Github I've ever seen
github.com/smxi/inxi

>Lower the swappiness by a large degree. In general, the more amount of RAM you have, the lower the swappiness should be. You can basically set it to 0.
My swappiness is:
$ cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

which is pretty low as it is. don't think this is the issue.

maybe limiting memory per process would help?

Delete xorg.conf.Post anything you have in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

Assuming you have an integrated intel apu?
Put this in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf.
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
EndSection

Which program are you using to open these big images?

Maybe my thinking is wrong, but 10k x 10k probably shouldn't cause freezing if a decent amount of your RAM is free.

>Which program are you using to open these big images?
Just gThumb.
My biggest worry is how my system becomes unstable as soon is it hits the swap. I've used Windows with pagefile and macOS and neither of those totally froze as soon as I ran out of memory.
I feel like I haven't configured something properly. I'm now afraid of hitting the memory limit.
Also, one time last year Xorg was leaking RAM and froze my system solid. I had to do alt+ctrl+f1 to get a shall and kill it. This lockup shouldn't be happening. No idea how to make it more sane though...

Install systemd

add
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=25

I'm shutting down this post

Anyone have experience running gnu/linux on one of these?

amazon.com/Chromebook-Rockchip-Pearl-White-Light/dp/B00VUV0MG0/

>amazon
botnet

I don't know of this or sudo X -config did the trick, but now I have video output again.
Thank you.

I have it... from the day I installed Arch in Jan of 2016....
$ cat /etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf
vm.swappiness=1
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50

I just can't seem to fix the audio crackling when using headphones on Ubuntu. I know that it's not the headphone, because it works on Windows and openSuse Tumblweed.

Just reading "Just for fun".
>Welcome to Silicon Valley. One of the first things I got to do upon landing in this strange galaxy was to meet the stars.
>I received an email from Steve Jobs’s secretary about how he’d like to meet me and could I spare an hour or two. Not knowing what it was all about, I said sure.
>The meeting was at Apple’s headquarters on Infinity Loop Drive. It was with Jobs and his chief technical guy, Avie Tevanian. This was when Apple was starting work on OS X, the Unix-based operating system that wasn’t released until September 2000. There wasn’t much formality to the meeting. Basically, Jobs started off by trying to tell me that on the desktop there were just two players, Microsoft and Apple, and that he thought that the best thing I could do for Linux was to get in bed with Apple and try to get the open source people behind Mac OS X.
lmao

It's also void of systemD.