What the fuck were they thinking?

What the fuck were they thinking?

I am using a pentium 4 right now
And I would trade my kidney for a fucking dual core because this shit sucks ass

Jews did 9/11

Marketing doesn't think. That's what happened when Intel let the Marketing Department take control of the design.

milk shekels

:(

They are literally perfect for retro W98 builds.
>compatible
>fast enough
>cheap

>MAKE
>LONGER
>BIBELINE
Aka they though frequencies will compensate for IPC loss.

>ghz

They were cold.

This tbqh. Best /vr/ chip. Too bad they overheat and burn out even without overclocking.

they were thinking: more MHz = better
the pentium 4 scales well in clock speed, but without any regard for thermal dissipation. Intel contributed to global warming.
well maybe not as much as Microsoft with Windows updates, but each did in their own way.

>trading your lifelong organs for any tech which is obsolete in a few years anyway
are you planning to die in 5 years or 55 years?

>modern cooling technology nigger-rigged to a P4 MOBO
Name one (1) flaw.

>tfw found a P4 PC on the side of the road
>powers on
I didn't have a monitor to use with it at the time so I don't know if it boots, but pretty sweet.

Gigahertz was what they were thinking.

This was obviously a plot to get intel's R&D into the (((Holy Land))). (((They))) managed to sabotage NetBurst to push their Pentium M and Core architectures. Don't be fooled, goyim.

They were trapped in "MEGAHURTZ" race and thought that microarchitecture could scale beyond 10Ghz without any issues.

Physics made Intel its bitch and they had to change gears.

Pretty much. Amusingly enough, the late model Pentium 3's were actually fiercely competitive or even faster than the early Pentium 4's, so Intel was forced to try and gimp them to make the P4 seem better until they could fix the teething issues.

not him but wasn't the first Core architecture based off of Pentium M which was a glorified mobilized P3?

BIBELINE!!1!

Old but gold

Yep. NetBurst was an evolutionary dead end.

This could be also used with the Ryzen/Coffee lake

>pentium
They were thinking "Shit, we can't call it the 586 now" is all

Do people not remember celeron vs Pentium??

Like this?

Thank you

buy a new PC or a 5 year old PC second-hand?

tfw no Jayhawk

>MORE PIPELINE STAGES!!

>pentium 3/4 + 4 HT
HALT AND CATCH FIRE cpus.

>pentium 3
>catching fire
You can't make this shit up.

:(

Affordable cremations.

Daily reminder AMD was the only one to start actual house fires.

>What the fuck were they thinking?

3000 mega fucking herts

If I had prior knowledge, I would probably skip out on the Athlon XP (shitty chipsets, fragile CPU die) and Pentium 4 (slow for the most part, hot) and either go straight to Athlon 64 or even better Core 2 Duo.
Get yourself a nice Tualatin board with DDR memory support and a Tualatin 1266 or higher, clock it at ~1.5GHz and enjoy computing for a few years.

To be fair though, the Pentium 4 struggled immensely early on due to low initial clocks (at 1.5GHz it was quite slower than equivalent Pentium 3s) and the need for bandwidth. DDR wasn't around yet and the only wait to do it was RDRAM which was a fucking scam. The alternative was SDRAM which was ill-suited to this CPU and pretty old at this point.

Things started really looking up when the Northwood hit the scene and DDR was widely available, but Prescott was another miss-step.
Also, Intel expected to hit 10GHz lol, they didn't really get very far.

Early Athlon XP chipsets like the AMD 761 were okay-ish.

FX 9590 on cheap ass FX970 board that does not support it
look , its like running a i7 7900X on a 3 phase motherboard

Five trillion stage bipeline.

yeah you're right on this, but Via and SiS chipsets flooded the market soon after
NForce2 was okayish too

It's just that none of them ever reached 845 or 865 chipsets.

VIA was pretty much hit and miss, you had to know which are the good ones.

And by far every SiS board of that era was shit. There were some small exceptions like ECS' K7S5A and K7S6A. If it weren't for crap caps, these ones were pretty good. (that sounds weird but it's quite true)