/hpg/ Headphone General

>"What's with you faggots not starting new threads?" Edition.

>Headphone purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

whathifi.com/sony/wh-1000xm2/review
youtube.com/watch?v=XbgOzsXz_-A
tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html
hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23
alkasar.online.fr/mesures/HifiMeDIY SABRE 24-96 DAC v1.htm
nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/behringer-uca202-review.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I could use some good advice.
I personally love sound stage and good seperation, I love picking out all different instruments. I've never had open headphones, my roommates can be bitchy so I don't want them to hear anything.
So tell me Sup Forums, do open headphones really leak that much? And if so, are there any closed or semi-open headphones that provide good sound stage and seperation? I would prefer something < 300$.

What exactly is the arrangement? If you have your own bedroom and will mostly be listening in there, open headphones should be fine. If this is a college dorm kinda situation then you'll probably wanna play it safe with closed.

Nah I have my own bedroom and most likely the door will be closed as well. My roommates could bitch at the very least bit of sound already though.
If open still seems quite ok, any recommendations?

Yeah if you've got the door closed it really shouldn't be an issue. As for specific recs I don't have the experience a lot of people here (claim to) have but < $300 gives you a lot of options. Half the people here will tell you to get HD 600 (which I have and love), the other half will tell you they're an overpriced meme and to get a planar magnetic set like HE-400i or m1060. I haven't heard planars myself yet but since this thread is a bit sleepy now I figured I'd take a stab at what you're likely to hear when there's more posters.

If the door is closed you should be fine, i've tested this before, left my DT880 blasting very lound and went outside, could barely hear anything, and that was with a much louder than healthy volume.

In my experience:
>Separation:
HD600>DT880=K702>AD900X
>Stage (by size):
K702=AD900X>DT880>HD600

Keep in mind that they all excell at something in detriment of something else, best thing to do would be to listen to them all and find your own favorite. Also, i'm only talking from experience, i'm sure there are other good options out there.

>Budget
30 USD is about as much as I'm willing to spend.
>Location
US
>Source
laptop, phone
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Sound signature
Not an audiohpile, I'm just trying to make a smart buy based on what Sup Forums gonsiders not garbage
>Past headphones
I have Philips SHP9500 at home and they're all right. I don't really have much to compare against besides from no-name headphones that I wouldn't want to own.

Please and thank you Sup Forums

KZ ZS5

Opinions on the thx00? Thinking about upgrading to. It from my dt990

Alright, here's the deal: it's almost the end of 2017 and I've been using strictly only wireless Bluetooth headphones for the couple last years, simply out of principle and to gather all the needed first-hand experience on this entire "wired VS wireless" debacle. So, after using strictly only wireless headphones on a daily basis for almost two-and-a-half years, I can definitely without any doubt openly state that the "always wired only" and "only highly expensive portable players/no smartphone pleb-tier" pseudo-audiophilic FAGGOTS are completely and absolutely FULL OF SHIT. I won't argue with anyone here that wireless headphones in general and wireless sound technologies in overall were utter garbage just 5-or-so years ago, but nowadays it's NOWHERE even remotely close to being as bad as it was in 2012 and further down the line. Everything (literally EVERY THING) these so-called self-proclaimed pseudo-audiophilic kiddie shithead trolls are openly and absolutely brainlessly proclaiming loudly everywhere about MODERN wireless sound technologies being any "bad" or "not on par with wired" is 100% COMPLETE BULLSHIT. Abso-effing-lute LIE. These retarded deaf kiddies clearly never used any modern wireless headphones that cost more than 50$ (and actually good/worthwhile wireless headphones start from the 120$ mark AT THE VERY LEAST) and/or they never tried Apt-X LL or ESPECIALLY the GODLIKE LDAC. These FAGS basically don't know jack about any of this, but they act like they're the hottest and most knowledgeable shits around the block while in reality they're not hot, but just shit. MODERN wireless sound IS actually VERY good and does NOT lose to wired at all by the sheer quality of sound and latency (if it's apt-X LL or LDAC), WHILE being WAAAY more convenient and comfortable to use due to headphones being completely (WELL, DUH!) wireless. Fuck all those pseudo-audiophilic pseudo-elitistic sudo-entitled "pro-wired" scrubshits, I say. They know fucking NOTHING.

>What ~50$ range wireless headphones would Sup Forums recommend?
Unfortunately, there are almost no actually decent/good models in that price range. The closest one you can get to be of a "somewhat decent sound quality" is Rombica's "MySound BH-10 2C" model, but they have extremely crappy Bluetooth range and they usually tend to bug out and turn off even if slightest electromagnetic interference is nearby (like, for example, when you're in a convenience store and standing near a commercial fridge). Also note that they are literally "Chinkshit Wireless"-tier of headphones. If you never ever had a pair of wireless Bluetooth headphones before and you wish to get ACTUALLY worthwhile device from the first attempt - you'd have to spend AT LEAST 120$ and these will be MEElectronics' "Air-Fi Matrix 3" model and NO OTHER. This is the EXACT very point where actual wireless GOOD quality starts.

>Have they also opened it up for non-Sony headphones or do I need a Sony wireless?
That we don't know yet, as there are simply no massive amount of Android 8-based smartphones on the market so far, but I personally highly doubt that this will be Sony-only when it becomes mainstream, simply due to default LDAC implementation in all Android 8 devices making no logical sense in the case if Sony decides to not license this to other wireless headphone manufacturers. They've already licensed this to Android 8, so why the hell will they restrict it only to their wireless headphones now? That will be an asshole move and will undoubtedly garner a lot of critique on Sony's ass. I don't think that Sony's THAT stupid as to not provide other wireless headphone manufacturers with a LDAC license. And even if (and that's a very big IF) they actually in all seriousness restrict LDAC usage only to their wireless devices, this still at least leaves us an option to not use a Sony smartphone for it if we wouldn't want to, so there's at least that.

Combo breaker

>Got any proof that he is using a broken gear to measure headphones?
He has made these errors previously. The AP tester breaks, something blows out in the mic pre and he has to go back and redo measurements. Other than channel imbalances I cannot point to a specific concern here.
He also has to recognize that he has made an error to go back and fix it.
>DSP mechanism
The calibration mechanism was described in the AES publication about 2 years ago. Ulrich(?) Horbach, called something like "Characterizing Frequency Response of Headphones". Have you read it? It's on the wiki.
An acoustical feedback method cannot linearize high frequency performance. The phase of the feedback is too far shifted from the signal. The only effective way to do so is with a existing model, either a black box method or a parametric method a la Klippel. Neither method is ready for application in a headphone device.
The THD+N measurement is not reflective of any sort of real harmonic distortion performance from any sort of headphone. The behavior is completely inconsistent with behavior from any type of driver design, but not inconsistent with noise measurement. The measurement explicitly includes noise, leading to this conclusion.
>in frequent contact with Harman research group
What information is shared between them? If you just say that, it could be at the level of any other reviewer asking about a product.
Yes, I do know that he published Horbach's comment about the correction method. But that information can be found in his convention paper.

>broken runglish
Since you don’t get it, let's forget the DFT and start with Fourier series.
Fourier's proposal claims that any periodic sequence can be broken in sinusoids. Each sinusoid has an amplitude and a phase associated to it.
The amplitude and phase of each is modified by the frequency response of the headphone, normally referred to as the headphone transfer function. Multiply any of the harmonics by the frequency response to get a partial sampling of the frequency response.
The overshoot of the waveform at each corner is a demonstration of both Gibbs phenomenon and the phase constraints of a causal system.
The square waves shown should not look very much square given that they are made from the raw response straight from the coupler, before correction functions.

>Name one worthwhile wireless headphone that isn't shit-tier or overpriced for what it sounds
Plantronics BackBeat Pro 2 SE (monitor, closed, neutral, 200~250$, somewhat bulky)
MEElectronics Air-Fi Matrix 3 (monitor, half-open, neutral-to-bright, price-wise this is the very start of the actual good quality in wireless headphones so this is as low as you should go, 120~140$, light, strong clamping force)
Marshall Monitor Bluetooth (monitor, closed, V-shape, 150~180$, not very good looks)
Master & Dynamic MW60 (monitor, closed, V-shape, high price yet not ineptly overpriced, 420~600$, best materials, very easily changeable pads)
Bang & Olufsen H9 (monitor, closed, neutral, mid-to-high price, 250~300$, super-solid build)
Sony MDR-1000X (monitor, closed, warm-to-neutral, mid-to-high price, 280~350$, great ANC)
Onkyo W800BT (IEM, closed, neutral, 100% wireless, 150~200$, can be charged on-the-go)
JVC HA-S90BN (monitor, closed, V-shape, 120~150$, not pretty at all)

All of these currently available headphones are absolutely worthwhile wireless solutions. The most expensive one in that list is Master & Dynamic MW60, but they're not really overpriced (usually sell for 600$, but can be found for ~420$ at some places during sale-off days).

P.S.
Answering the question that was made in the previous thread: "open" structure is not actually common in the wireless segment, at least when it comes down to monitor headphones, but if anything - you could always try MEElectronics' Air-Fi Matrix 3, they're partially open. All of the closed monitor headphones mentioned above are absolutely top-notch pieces of hardware and sound very good for their respective pricing segments (Master & Dynamic MW60 having the best materials and sounding phenomenally even in artificially created bad conditions, but it's sound curve, which is very clearly V-shaped, is definitely not necessarily for everyone. I personally prefer absolutely neutral sound in my headphone sets of choice).

Thanks user

Opinions on the new Sony WH-1000XM2? Is it worth getting?

Looks like no one worthy of notion reviewed it yet. We'll see in 2 or more months from now. Probably going to be overpriced as fucking hell at the start, simply because "newer than MDR 1000X".

Be patient.
How the would anyone know? It's barely been one week since its announcement. It's not even for sale yet.
At least you can get the 1000X for a price cut.

If it's the same sound quality as the old 1000x with updated materials to fix snappage then fuck yes it's worth getting.

whathifi.com/sony/wh-1000xm2/review
A very bullshitty and pretty clearly bought advertisement of a "review", but either way this is one of the first ones out there.
Highlights if it's tl;dr for you: even better ANC than in MDR 1000X, internally integrated DAC can now be turned off manually (was always turned on by defaulkt in MDR 1000X), slightly better materials than MDR 1000X (according toi this paid "review", that is), MUCH better looks and color options than MDR 1000X had, even less buttons and those which were left are positioned better than on MDR 1000X, MUCH better battery lifespan (~30 hours WITH noise cancelling on, HOLY SHIT), newer Bluetooth version, 350$ with pre-order (expect at least 450+ $ after worldwide release).
Well, kind of like this. Take all of this with a massive grain of salt considering that this is a very obviously paid-as-all-fucks "review" up there.

Why does bass make my ears bleed? Why does everyone make shit bass oriented ''headphones''
>Budget
115 euro
>location
Latvia
>source
Would prefer both USB and standard jack. Both should do. Will be plugging into a pc and sometimes to my phone.
>type
Full sized
>open or closed
Doesn't matter
>comfort
Would like comfy headphones, but not a neccesity.
>signature
Fucking hate bass.
Mid centric.

SHP9500 + sabrent USB sound card

>115 Euro
>Hate bass
>Comfy
>Monitor
>Smartphone and PC
See here , position #2. For that money budget, this is pretty much the only option for you. Pic-related is how they look.

Does anyone know if the Schiit YGGDRASIL has a remote?

>user asks for no-niggerbass headphones
>Recommends fucking Philips
KYS, you cancerous niggity wigger

SHP9500S
>Would prefer both USB and standard jack.
This isn't a thing. It's one or the other. USB headphones have their own DAC and amp built-in. Standard headphones do not. The latter are nearly universally better values.

U wot m8?

>Golden Ears
"KYS - Part Deux"

What are you going to post next? Effing RTINGS?

This is a reminder that this lying, shitposting troll claimed to own Orpheus and SR-009 but has refused to provide pic+timestamp. Ignore him and his trollrecs.

Oh look, it's that eternally buttblasted wirecuck again. How were you been, faggot?

what's wrong with rtings measurements?

Are even for fucking real, nigger?

Someone's mad.

Not him. Rtings' opinions and compensated measurements are worthless because of pic related, but they've started posting raw measurements, which are valuable resources. There's also nothing wrong with Goldenears' old compensated measurements (thin red and blue lines) and their newer raw measurements (thick green and blue lines), although their newer compensated measurements (thick green and blue lines) are shit because of shitty retard bass boosted compensation curve.

Where can i find them?
no local site has them and amazon cant deliver them to me.

Report and ignore.

You could've just said everything in one phrase: Harman sucks major donkey balls.

Don't buy into that shit, mate. I told you - for the money you have there's no better option that Air-Fi Matrix 3 for you. Philips sucks ass.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I just realized something new and retarded about this image: rtings assigns numerical scores to headphones based on their accuracy of a target curve which extends down to 10 Hz, even though 20 Hz is the lower limit of human hearing. They actually penalize headphones' bass accuracy scores for not being accurate down to 10 fucking Hertz. Full retard.

>Reddit fag

Why does the compensation curve matter if you are comparing two headphones with the same compensation applied?

>based on their accuracy of a target curve
Accuracy TO a target curve. FTFM.

Told ya it's shit. Golden Ears are just as shitty.

You raise a valid point. rtings' compensated curves can be useful for that as long as you remember that they don't represent how the headphone actually sounds, particularly in the bass region.

That doesn't make their raw measurements any less valuable, or their compensated measurements any less valuable for comparing one headphone to another if both are measured by rtings. It just means to ignore their numerical scores and subjective opinions about headphones.

>he produces audible artifacts by reproducing lossy audio with lossy bluetooth codecs
>he uses bluetooth headphones
>his lossless music collection is small enough to fit on a phone
>he's too autistic to use high bitrate lossy streaming audio which is transparent 99% of the time with wired headphones and 0% of the time with bluetooth headphones

>Everyone buys shit basing their opinion on "that one review"
>He says that "that one review and rating" from rtings doesn't affect buyer's decision if there are two different shitty reviews
U w0t, m8? Never go full-retard so hard.

AD700X

>lossy audio
320GB of FLAC, Redbook, and raw WAV.

>lossy bluetooth codecs
LDAC and Apt-X LL, you imbecile. LDAC is 24 bit, 990 kbps. Apt-X LL covers 0.8 times more than Apt-X HD was, and that one had 384kbps.

>lossless music collection is small enough to fit on a phone
256GB ROM + 256GB microSDXC, you cretin.

>streaming
KYS

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

LDAC and Apt-X LL are objectively lossy and 512 GB is a babby-sized lossless collection. Also, what kind of idiot archives raw WAV?

Whatever you think it is.

>512 GB is a babby-sized lossless collection
You also generally don't want to fill your entire phone with music so you have room for pictures and videos.

Do you even electrostatic bro?

>LDAC and Apt-X LL are objectively lossy
You are an uneducated and inexperienced imbecile.

>512 GB is a babby-sized lossless collection
First - I've clearly said there's currently ~320GB of music on my device. Secondly - I'm not an audiophallic retard like the ones you represent, so I don't use my device for music ONLY. I just prefer to have high clarity music and to listen to it effortlessly. High quality modern wireless technologies allow to do exactly that. Hell, even my Orpheus wasn't bought by me back in the days, but by my father. It's a keepsake. Same for my SR-009. I'm not an "audiofool", I just like good music in good quality, but I don't "schlick" on music like you do.

that is a lot more than my budget.
Amazon has them at 100 dollars now, but do they show taxes? and shipping costs.

I use spare space for other purposes than the meme'cal "pictures and videos". I'm heavily addicted to emulation, if anything.

>He's so uneducated and inexperienced that he truly and completely unironically thinks emulation means only video games, that "emulation = games", that there are no other types of emulation rather than just "gaming emulation"
What a fucking immature dumbass you are, holy shit.

"best headphone" doesn't exist. Perceiving of sound is subjective.

Toss it in your cart or don't fully checkout to see the price of all that combined.

>he thinks Sup Forums talks about video games

I couldn't give two fucks about what Sup Forums "talks about". Haven't been to that cesspool shithole since 2008.

>I emulate old computers just to run old office software, I have never played a video game in my life

Wow, you're actually even more of a retarded dumbass than I've thought initially about you. Holy shit, is there just no end of the bottom for the barrel that you and other """""(((people)))""""" like you represent? My deepest condolences to your family/relatives, even though I highly doubt you have any at all.

I bet wireless guy is just DiPolar's new trolling alter ego.

Do you see a name, faggot? No? Didn't think so.
I hate imbecilic tripfags no less than you do.

>He has made these errors previously. The AP tester breaks, something blows out in the mic pre and he has to go back and redo measurements. Other than channel imbalances I cannot point to a specific concern here.
>He also has to recognize that he has made an error to go back and fix it.
Even with channel imbalance out of the question distortion is too high in passive mode and given that he took several measurements of JBL 700 in 3 modes where wired active exhibit most channel imbalance eliminates error to the minimum. Also, for some reason you were not ok with my assumptions that XB950N1 would perform poorly based on the performance of the previous model and current state of the Sony's headphone manufacturing but are ok with yours.
>An acoustical feedback method cannot linearize high frequency performance.
Was I even talking about linearising high frequencies? Paper literally mentions DSP as "A prototype is shown that uses DSP with an FIR filter to equalize the headphone in-situ by running a test sweep while wearing it.". DSP tries to fix driver's high distortion but fucks up square wave response pretty badly. Also DSP does affect FR.
>The THD+N measurement is not reflective of any sort of real harmonic distortion performance from any sort of headphone.
Yeah and thats why it's widely used by headphone manufacturers and is included in any sort of detailed headphone measurements.
>The square waves shown should not look very much square given that they are made from the raw response straight from the coupler, before correction functions.
JBL 700 square wave looks far from ideal or normal in active mode. It is easily observable that it's very out of phase that negatively affects imaging.

>dipolar is always gone when butthurt bluetoothfag is here
Really makes you think.

Thinking about upgrading to AKG K712 from a Shure SRH840, will be using a Audioengine D1 with it. Will the D1 be enough?
Also I know there's a lot of controversy on this board about this pair, what should I keep in mind and/or consider?

Might get a magni just to be on the safe side. AKGs stuff can be pretty hard to drive, and the 712 is no exception.

>what should I keep in mind and/or consider?
Is your name Quavean? If so, you'll like them. If not, you won't.

You're not capable of that.

cry more bitch

Not really willing to spend money on a new amp or anything right now, any alternatives you suggest?

Fidelio X2 maybe, also has the extra melanated bass 4u

TH-X00

You're the one who's bawww'ing here, faggot.

>extra melanated bass 4u
How's the sound stage / separation?

lol k

>TH-X00
As a eurofag those aren't even available here I'm afraid

no, you can message the dude who makes the EM-U Teaks directly over email, he will ship them from taiwan like he does to the US

>EM-U Teaks
Those are the sexiest cans I've seen so far, however $999 is a bit steep for me

NO, K712 can be too boomy at times and have a 'funky' mid range but it's not mudlanin enhanced X2 of no vocals.

they are $450, they have never ever been sold at $999, only $400-$500

>but it's not mudlanin enhanced
shows it's literally a muddier version of Beats.

Any opinions on AKG K72?

just got HyperX Cloud 2s for gaming. is there anyway ti get a side tone? it seems toi be a common complaint. i cant stand not being able to hear myself talk. the headset would be a literally 10/10 if i can find a way

user wants melanized, so give him melanized.

Then I was looking on a very shady site indeed. Thanks user, I'll seriously consider this. Opinions on soundstage/separation? These are closed sets?

Protit, beats, and this is old pair before being owned by Apple as far as I know, were an unholy abominations that didn't even have good bass extension. I remember getting them as the birthday present form a best friend, I wasn't into audio, didn't even listen to music nearly at all, and now my preference are not main stream at all, but even then I couldn't stand them.
X2 is down sloped as roll down fucking badly from a bass hump making everything muffed as fuck, K712 are just melanin enriched while still retaining some midrange and highs, also X2 have WOPTY DOOO skyrocketing distortion in the bass unlike K712 that do have rising distortion in bass, like most of the dynamic drivers, but not as bad. If X2 are nega melanin enchanted K712 are albino raised in the middle class family, weird but listenable and even enjoyable. Otherwise you can meme him and suggest razer kraken pro.

TFW Harman curve is nigger bass and Diffuse Field is bright.

Teak probably has the widest soundstage for closed cans besides the sony Z1R and the zmf eikon, both kilobuck+ cans. They are semi-open, they are ported around the opening to the cup. They are a variant on the th-x00 but uses teak wood which lets you hollow them out more without the wood breaking, which gets you larger soundstage and better mids. The Teaks have a stronger magnet than the TH-X00, like the TH900, so they can be ran without a strong amp.

They use the fostex biocellulose drivers which are insane because you can boost them 10-20db in the subbass with a powerful amp and STILL have no distortion or midrange bleeding:

youtube.com/watch?v=XbgOzsXz_-A

Absurd cans if you like distortion free bass, while also having fidelity. they will walk circles around an akg and others.

What's the most transparent dac i can get for under $300

Perfection = ER-4S, which is close to Harman curve without the bass boost, a.k.a. diffuse curve with a slight treble reduction.

Most DACs at any price are transparent. tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html
If your autism demands measurements, the best value in DACs is the HifimeDIY Sabre DAC:
hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23
alkasar.online.fr/mesures/HifiMeDIY SABRE 24-96 DAC v1.htm
It's transparent. There's absolutely zero reason to spend $300 on a DAC. Hell, there's zero reason to spend $100 on a standalone DAC.

There's also the even cheaper UCA202, which functions well and transparently as a standalone DAC with its RCA outputs connected to an amp: nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/behringer-uca202-review.html
Its headphone jack is very high output impedance and thus not recommended for use.