/pcbg/ PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - If you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use, not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Good fucking luck even getting a VEGA right now

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM, 3200 MHz is ideal

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

io-tech.fi/uutinen/intelin-coffee-lake-prosessoreiden-myynti-alkaa-5-lokakuuta/
pcpartpicker.com/user/nightlyskill/saved/J2VYrH
tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951-10.html
pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001600,256001440&T=1,5&H=60,240&B=300,500&p=1&i=50&W=2500,2700&X=0,35552
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/CJJVVY
pcpartpicker.com/list/ccV7VY
zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-amp-extreme
youtube.com/watch?v=b3Hqqh3CwXU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

=====================
NEWS
=====================
Intel's 8th generation (Coffee Lake) to be reportedly launched on 5th of October.

Finnish prices (including 24% VAT):
- Core i3-8350K: 199 € = ~$193 USD
- Core i5-8600K: 299 € = ~$290 USD
- Core i7-8700K: 419 € = ~$406 USD

Sauce?

Are ASUS GPUs good?

Any specific ones you looking at?
I've heard good things in heneral but no firsthand experience.

DUAL-GTX1060-O6G

Literally the only GTX 1060 6GB available in Mexico.

Oh wait, GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD is available too,

io-tech.fi/uutinen/intelin-coffee-lake-prosessoreiden-myynti-alkaa-5-lokakuuta/

I sort of want to build a pc for
(1) running MCMC on a graphics card
(2) hosting my own shitty website
I don't know if (1) is possible and if (2) is a good idea

Mommy

>i7-8700K
i7 is a processor series and 8700K is a model designation, right? Should I just compare how many Ghz a processor can perform? Is there a reason I should care about model number?

Any estimations of perfs for covfefe lakes?

Kinda meh on the early Z370 boards, which are really just rebadged Z270s, kicked out the door early to respond to Ryzen.
The actual new CFL/CNL boards will be Q1 2018, with features like built in 802.11, Bluetooth, SD controllers, etc.

I understand they want CFL out as fast as possible but it makes the lineup a mess.

>Should I just compare how many Ghz a processor can perform?

With Intel in particular it's important to read into the thermals and the bullshit involved in making their chips function properly. With the i7 7700K they mass-produced a series of chips with the cheapest thermal solution they could manage, so the chips run at like 90* and people have been putting the damn things in vices to pop the covers off and apply better thermal solutions.

It isn't all about the hertz.

Starting buying parts to my first pc , I have the tower, GPU and I just bought the CPU yesterday from new egg. I just want it for gaming and such. Opinions on it? Ik about coffee lake maybe I shoulda waited for it.

pcpartpicker.com/user/nightlyskill/saved/J2VYrH

>ugly computer taste next to an uglier woman
>hot.jpg
shit taste

>covfefe
>XD

Shit SSD, get a better one.
850 EVO for example.

>ASUS Z270 and I5-7600K with a Zotac GTX 1050Ti
or
>MSI B250 Mortar and I5-7500 with a ASUS GTX 1060 6GB
?

Its for gaming mostly, the user will be tech illiterate so i doubt he will OC.

Humorously, people tried the same shit with Ryzen thinking that delidding was the new KOOL SKOOL MODDING CRAZE. Unfortunately for them, Ryzen is properly soldered for thermal transfer and so delidding them destroys the chip.

uwu mr. butthurt amd homo don't you quote me or my posts ever again

so the 8700k looks to be roughly 20% faster than a 1600 in multi tasking for a whopping 100% more, and it'll still lose to a 1700 in multithreaded workloads for a whole 30% more
holy shit what are they doing

second one then

and beyond that price wise a i3 now competes with a fucking r5, 6c/12t to 4c/4t, for the same price
holy shit boys its fucking happening

I don't have many recent AAA titles desu

All games on ultra:
Hand of Fate (setting target fps to 120 gave me 165, other options gave me between 60 and 600)
Crysis 2 (easily 1000+ fps)
Just Cause 2 (don't forget to turn off bullet holes and decals, having them on can crash the game)
Skyrim Legendary edition with high res textures and a few mods (59fps was the lowest I ever went, and it was right after starting the game)
Honey Select (didn't use an fps counter but it ran great)
ADR1FT (iirc I was getting 165fps stable)

On a side note, has anyone ever successfully played EVENT[0] without frame dips? It maxes out all 16 threads and the 1080ti and even when I turn a few settings down it runs at around 80fps with drops. It must be the most unoptimized game ever.

>Should I just compare how many Ghz a processor can perform?
god no, you can't compare performance between CPUs just by numbers or the amount of cores/threads. the only way is to check various benchmarks.
if you're looking to buy a cpu and don't know which one to pick just post here.

served me well for some 9 years only having replaced the gpu a single time, but i think its time to move on

rest in pieces sweet prince

>Delidding is basically removing the top of the skull and pouring shit into a computer's brain

are you gay

it's not shit, in real world performance you wouldn't even notice a difference between these two, but since the price of 850 evo has dropped, he might as well get it. in some countries samsung drives are seriously overpriced and not worth considering.

neither. ryzen shits on both and costs same as the i5 7500 platform.

wait for benchmarks. don't waste your time speculating.

im not waiting for benchmarks, i already have a 1700 that performs quite well for my use. only upgrade i would consider right now is to threadripper, simply because im running out of lanes

my pc is even shitter and i can't wait to get a new one, though i don't know if that'll happen this year. handles source games fairly well (~50fps with fps configs and minimal settings).

Damn, a Sapphire HD78XX? You chose well.

myself i'm waiting for i5 8600k. if it performs better than 7700k while costing less it'll be a nice upgrade from .

The CPU is severely bottlenecked for gaming.

Is overheating still an issue if I won't overclock?
>can't compare performance between CPUs just by numbers or the amount of cores/threads.
Why not? All I care about is how many simulations I can run at a time and how long they will take.
>check various benchmarks
What kind of benchmarks should I look at?

>Is overheating still an issue if I won't overclock?
They run hot even stock. The cooler hardware runs, the longer it lasts.

it replaced a GTX 360 that fried

have had zero problems with it, and as i recall from when i bought it was reasonably priced too

having to turn down youtube videos down to 480p because 720 lags out the processor and RAM is annoying

the good thing about being a mega jew / poorfag, is when you finally upgrade your shit, you are literally jumping a decade forward in technology

>Why not?
because there are shitloads of factors that have an effect on cpu performance, including the overall architecture which you can't just compare without having an extensive knowledge about cpus in general.
>What kind of benchmarks should I look at?
depends on your usage. since you mentioned running multiple simulations at the same time, you'd probably benefit from cpu with a high amount of cores/threads.
for example: tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951-10.html

Dropping at 6PM today boys
my site is patch dynamics, jewgle it

If I were to have the opportunity to get it for free, is there any reason not to get a fully-equipped Threadripper rig w/ ECC memory?

What part of
>no i5 unless discounted
Don't you understand?

>having to turn down youtube videos down to 480p because 720 lags out the processor
that's weird, my pc is marginally worse but that doesn't happen (unless you mean watching videos while having literally anything else in the background).

720 can work to some extend, by mine chokes on 1080p thats for sure

>is there any reason not to get a few thousand of $$$ for free?
gee user, i dunno

yeah i watch 720p60 since my res is 1280x1024.

>for free

>are you gay
yes

I've set up some PCPP perameters for a 2560x1440p monitor. Based on the results in the following link, what monitor should I consider? Should I pass on all of them? Ideally, I'd like to get a 1440p IPS monitor with >5ms response time and 75 or 90hz, with solid color representation. I'd like to spend >$250, but I have no problem buying used if it's in good condition.

pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001600,256001440&T=1,5&H=60,240&B=300,500&p=1&i=50&W=2500,2700&X=0,35552

I just want to know what my options are.

>i-it's only 20% faster!!!

pop a 771 e5450 in there with a sticker mod. $20
matching 4gb ram kit $10
and the $60 r7 360 of pcpp (in between 1030 and 1050 perf) you could play modern(ish) games on that dino. a 6870 for $30 or less would also do decent at around gt1030 levels but less vram.

These things are why I'm so damned itchy. I want to buy now, get in on some Ryzen, but MAYBE Intel will have something? I guess? I'm gonna be mighty disappointed if I buy now and get shafted, but on the other end if I wait until next year for another jizz-lidded fiasco I'm going to lose my shit.

>20% faster
>costs twice as much
>no stock cooler
>more expensive mobos
>a housefire

yeah i know about 771 xeons, but i don't feel like it's worth investing any money into it anymore. i've used it for past 8 years, what's another 3-4 months?

intel will be more expensive, that's for sure. you're looking into ~15% more performance for 50% higher price and a worse upgrade path.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/CJJVVY

r8

Remember Kidz
Buy only modular PSU

How would you get that for free user?

>1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor with GTX 1070 in a PCI-E x4 Slot

How well will this work?

And so we have finally reached the final step of the AMD damage control cycle. They now resort to just pointing out that it's cheaper than Intel.

You're a faggot.

You're assuming that every build bar the poverty build wants multi threading / mixed usage.

i7 beats 1600 for pure gaming, for instance.

Also:
>Good fucking luck even getting a VEGA right now

More like 'who the fuck would even want one unless they're mining, at which point you'd want a 500 series card anyway'.

Speaking of which, the 1000 series cards beat those for gaming too.

What even is this list?

eh... Why though? Why do you have a 1070 in the x4 slot anyway? x16 isn't necessary but at least x8 would be needed.

Thank you both for the information.

would a fucked up GPU cause random restarts/shut downs during normal use?
I was in the last thread where I thought it might be a psu issue but I just want to cover my bases before replacing

yes and no. Does your PC offer integrated graphics? Try taking your video card out and running off the iGPU to see if the stutter/restarts still occur. Then that would point to your PSU.

What's your build?

It doesn't work in the primary slot. I can only get display in the secondary slot. I will probably RMA the motherboard at some point, but for now I really want that 1440p 144hz.

getting the msi x370 sli plus (120$) for ryzen. is it good or should I go for another board?

pcpartpicker.com/list/ccV7VY
here
last thread someone said it could be an issue with the RAM but I ran some tests and got nothing so I still think it could just be the psu

don't forget intel is a housefire. wait for benchmarks and shut the fuck up.

the list has looked like this for months and i can't be bothered to make any edits, since most of people here don't even bother to read it anyway.
>i7 beats 1600 for pure gaming
only in 1080p, difference being ~15fps. also costs $200 more for the whole platform, which is already dead. if you want intel you should wait for coffee lake.
vega 56 outperforms 1070 and i heard it has nice uv&oc capabilites

you should worry about making sure one of the most important components in your entire build is working properly before buying some ULTIMATE GAYMER ELITE MONITOR NO SCOPE PLACEBO edition.

To answer you question, it will technically work, just not well. You won't be seeing 144FPS in games unless you're playing at much lower settings if you're using x4 pcie speeds.
How many RAM slots does that motherboard have? Is it the model with 2 or 4? Is the CPU power a 4 pin or an 8 pin?

2 slots for ram and I'm pretty sure it's 8 pin

>you should worry about making sure one of the most important components in your entire build is working properly before buying some ULTIMATE GAYMER ELITE MONITOR NO SCOPE PLACEBO edition.

If you knew how much i've had to do already... I'll just say, fuck Zotac.

Just as long as it can run 1440p at about 60FPS for non-AAA games will be fine for now, I just really need a new monitor.

>Newegg email
>RX570 and RX580 back in stock!
>Click
>at mining prices

Do you think this model of GPU
zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-amp-extreme
for 680€ is good price?

I would say try another motherboard maybe? Because honestly even if that EVGA PSU was only putting out 150w, a stock Ryzen 1400 and 1050ti barely draw 50w at idle. Hell the 2 together probably only draw around 110w under max load.
why is Zotac to blame? I've had plenty of cards from them over the years and honestly, they're on of the better companies. Just get the Motherboard RMA over with. Either that or check to see if your motherboard PCIE settings aren't set to the first slot for some reason.

>buy 1050 ti yesterday because tired of waiting for 570 to come down in price
>amazon says it will be here on friday
>get a email this morning
>suddenly goes (((out of stock))) and will be here next week

waiting for things is gonna the death of me

did you expect any different? Welcome to capitalism.

It feels nice to be wealthy enough to get high end parts and avoid the absolute fuckery going on at lower end.

yes, very

Hey guys quick question. I currently have a 1070 ti, and have been looking to upgrade my cpu. I have a big enough power supply but really sont know the best options for an affordable yet amazing cpu. Ive been running an and 8320 for the past like 3 years and 8gb of ram. Already know what I want dor my ram but having a rough time for my cpu. I so lots of multi tasking and emulation so thst is why I first got my 8320 because it was best at the time. I am open to both amd and Intel and also want good performance outside of emulation and multitasking. Pic is of my cat just 'cause.

Fuck it. Let's get a Sup Forums-brand chip fab plant working. We can make our own CPUs and GPUs. And we can incorporate somewhere immune to copyright law and steal all of Intel and AMD and NVidia's best ideas. And we can set up a 7-story-tall Command & Conquer style superweapon designed to annihilate cryptocurrencies within the course of an hour.

FUCK EM.

is gonna be the death of me, rather

yeah I just gave up desu, maybe prices will fix after the holidays

you lucky bastard

ryzen 1600 is what you're looking for. affordable and beats competition. cheap b350 board will be around 70$.

I just bought all of Africa for $5. I plan to enforce that claim.

I shall build a nation. And it will be the greatest nation on Earth.

Why do people recommend the 1600 when 1500x is 30€ cheaper and is usually better where it matters (single threaded tasks).

Is a 1050Ti a worth while step up from a 750Ti or should I wait.

>is usually better where it matters (single threaded tasks).
wrong

ryzen 5 1600 is only €30 more for additional 2c/4t. you simply cannot beat that value

because the 1500X and 1600 are literally the exact same chip except the 1600 has 2 core/4 threads more? That both the 1500x and 1600 cap out at the same clock speed because Ryzen overall OC average is 3.8 to 3.9ghz? Games have already shown to take advantage of more cores lately, so why settle for 4c/8t? If single core is what you're focused on, go buy an i5.

price per core pretty much. it's mostly just a suggestion but if you want to save money than by all means get the 1500x or cheaper

Hey Patch Dynamics guy, if you're lurking I just bought mine. Got the bubble thing. Can't wait for it to arrive, thanks.

it's a good jump.

Thank you ill look into it.

If I plan on streaming games with nvenc, does hyperthreading still make sense? On a older 1155 h61 motherboard considering i5-2500 vs i7-2600 fwiw. ~50 dollars difference, worth it?

Would getting a Bristol Ridge apu for my lil bros first pc worth it and then later on pairing it with a gpu? just needs to runs cs go/overwatch

new 4k60hz video playback gpu is in.

Why not a 580?

>Why not a 580?
Fuck you.

You know why you mining fuck.

>RX 560
Why not get a 1050 ti which is better and a couple bucks more? Unless you have a FreeSync monitor, then I guess it's okay.

because i dont play games on this computer. sold my 470 to my friend. was thinking of getting a 550, but this is better for not much more.

i have a radeon graphics sticker on my case. i dont want to be a liar

Had to cancel my 1060 3GB because I forgot how shitty shadowplay/nvenc was compared to OBS+VCE. That plus the lack of FreeSync.

Ree, sold out. Took a look at your page and you said about making a 10cm version. Could you leave both, a 7 and 10cm version (3" and 4")?

>Intel's next line-up is Ice Lake
youtube.com/watch?v=b3Hqqh3CwXU