Christ, why are server licenses so expensive????

Christ, why are server licenses so expensive????

My boss wants me to price out some refurbished servers, and my hardware picks will cost less than the license to run Windows??

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/WINDOWS-SERVER-2012-R2-REMOTE-DESKTOP-SERVICES-10-DEVICES-CAL-LICENCIA-KEY-/
reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There's a reason most of the world's servers runs on BSD and GNU/Linux.

And that reason is not money bro.

???

Well it is a plus

Unfortunately the single application we are using them for is Windows only.

ebay.com/itm/WINDOWS-SERVER-2012-R2-REMOTE-DESKTOP-SERVICES-10-DEVICES-CAL-LICENCIA-KEY-/

It's the initial reason tbfh, everyone ends up staying because Linux fucking rocks

Yes, because they can be patched and updated without having to fucking restart every time

>tbfh
to be fair honestly?

students get server for free via dreamspark

well that was a stupid decision. pay up losers

to be frank, hombre

The OCR application we use has no comparison on the market.

Then fly the Jolly Roger

If you have a full-fledged job, you're probably not a student.

1. More features not found in consumer versions.
2. Extensive testing and validation.
3. If you need it, you can afford it. Which is to say: they know they can get away with it.

Other than situations like this what are some reasons you wouldn't just use Linux for servers? From what I can tell, it seems cheaper and more reliable.

(((Microsoft)))

to be fat husbando

Cost of support, usually. Open source enterprise used to make all their money on support though SaaS has become big these days and there are a lot more admins that know *nix these days than in the 00's

This is a reputable business, otherwise as I do with my personal stuff, I would.

(((reputable business)))

>tbfh
to buttfuck faggot holes

too big for her

tubufuh

/thread

It is, if you have competent people administering it. Competent Linux admins are more expensive though, compared to any old Pajeet who can run a Windows server. Poorly, but whatever. Even if it turns out to be the same price a lot of companies would rather blow the money on licensing instead of labor, hiring and firing is even more of a pain than licensing is.

to butt fuck heebs

This

>why are server licenses so expensive
Because retards like you and your boss default to using Microsoft no matter the cost. Why would Satya drop the price?

Weird, the license for all of my servers was:
F R E E
R
E
E

Because when a multi-million or billion dollar company doesn't care too much about the cost of a server license they just want it working and working fast because something that is just sitting around is something that isn't making money.

Your first day at your job?

>using dubious licenses for your company hardware
kek

I'm guessing you havent been pricing out CALs either. Did you know if you run MS DHCP server you need a CAL for every device which gets a IP from it? At ~$40 a pop per CAL it really adds up quick.

I work at a university and got several licenses for free

Titanium boron fragile helium

lol
now since you're going to post some site counting public facing web servers i'll give you my other response in advanced
lol

>a SMB using Linux

Have fun going out of business when you're waiting for forum replies to fix issues

SMB on linux requires some "know" as the windows filesharing protocol is filled with 3 times as much shit as is necessary and distilling the suckless-less GUI down into raw text configs never did any good.

Rev up the NFS and call it a day.

Its even worse than that. You dont know how many times i've submitted issues to a projects GitHub and they just close it because it would be too much effort to fix. Or want me to jump through countless hoops likes set up another system (in production) and try it again with the latest development build which you cant roll back from.

A lot of the shit in CIFS is necessary, like the ability to steer clients to different servers. Just because you dont run a SOFS cluster doesn't mean the relevant features are unnecessary.