/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

sourcemage.org/Init).
sourcemage.org/Spell/Book
sourcemage.org/
sourcemage.org/Install/Chroot
pastebin.com/i4DALaNV
i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html
youtube.com/watch?v=q9mXyakv2i8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for freedom

Is there a Debian-based distro as small as Puppy Linux?

what distro would you recommend to someone new to linux that plans on having a bunch of stuff running through wine?
does the distro matter when you're trying to make stuff thats not supported to run on linux?
i like the ability to customize everything and lightness of the OS, but honestly the only thing that stops me from completely switching the software im using. And running windows on virtualbox just for that seems like too much troubles

Well, I mean, I you can do a stage3 install if you really want. Really, I guess what it comes down to is light packages with as few dependencies as possible. I would imagine you could do much more beyond that. Puppy is its own distribution, which is why the devs can make decisions that make it so light.

Literally any distribution whatsoever. Just use PlayOnLinux if you really can't handle reading a man page.

Your whole post is gibberish, by the way.

>This is your brain on Windows

Advanced users of GNU/Linux (and I mean advanced), remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution, and (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:
Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
With even the documentation licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
No systemd (they've implemented their own init scripts system sourcemage.org/Init).
Uses clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can heal broken installs.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portage (or ports-like) package manager? With SMGL's "sorcery" you get all that. Making new spells (package build files) not found in the grimoire (repository of spells) is easy sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Bash hackers welcome! Come and join sourcemage.org/

Installing SMGL is easy, here's the simplified process:
>boot a live Ubuntu (or whatever) USB drive
>go to SMGL website and download compressed archive of the base system
>partition and mount partition(s)
>extract the archive onto the new partition(s)
>chroot, set root passwd, hostname, configure network and locale, write fstab, install grub/lilo
>reboot
>compile a kernel (preferably the newest stable one from kernel.org)
>update sorcery, grimoires and the build toolchain
>rebuild the system (hold spells you've already built, so you don't build them twice)
The install guide will hold your hand through the whole process sourcemage.org/Install/Chroot
Do the chroot method, since the regular live ISO method guide is out of date currently.

Here's a list of common commands: pastebin.com/i4DALaNV

Damn Small Linux was even smaller than Puppy Linux and it was based on Debian but it's basically dead, these general purpose super lightweight distros aren't as popular as they used to be. Either use Debian which can be very lightweight or if you really need something extremely small use something that's built for containers like Alpine (not Debian-based).

hi, when I want to change the user in my virtual machine I need to know the port which connects it to my host, right?
Does anybody know the default port for vmware?

What's the best distro

The one I'm using

How do I get into tiling window managers?

Do you have a reason to use a tiling WM?

Uh...
Desktop threads?

So you're motivated to do this for the prospect of validation from your anonymous, online peers whom you've never met?

Install i3 aka babbies first tiling wm and read: i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html

Next time please make the thread title
>/fst/ - Friendly Stallmanix Thread

>motivated
My motivation dies in like 15 minutes though.

I think there's a much deeper issue here than window managers. Do you have any friends, user? How is your love life? Do you talk to your mother?

>Do you have any friends, user?
Yes, some. We get drunk every weekend.
>How is your love life?
Shit
>Do you talk to your mother?
Yes

Yeah, currently trying i3 for the first time and it is not THAT HARD.

Develop severe autism

Do you love your mother?

Yes. Why do you ask?

Reminder!

emacs -nw -f doctor

No reason. What kind of women are you attracted to, user? Do you like ... well-endowed women?

nice, but h-how to quit?

C-x C-c

>Do you like ... well-endowed women?
Yes.
Ass is better though.

^X-^C

Tell me about more about that. How does "ass" make you feel?

thanks
>tfw not an emacs virgin anymore

My pinky already hurts from looking at this.

I just like looking at girls with nice asses.

>stallman
It's time to face the facts. Richard Stallman is nothing more than a whining, overly obese autistic manbaby who has not done anything beneficial for the computing OR technology world in the past 20 years. Seriously. Name something that RMS has done after 1995 besides bitching, crying, and moaning about bullshit that does not matter, or making some retarded, incomprehensible speech.

He demands that Linux be called GNU/Linux. That is fucking insane. The only reason GNU, GPL, and FSF are still a THING is because of Linus and the invention of Linux. If anything, Stallman should rename GNU to Linux/GNU, because without Linus, the GNU, GPL, and FSF would not be a thing anymore.

Stallman still has the fucking gonads to act like he's superior to everyone else. Saying shit such as "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone" right after Steve Jobs' death. What an asshole. Stallman has not even programmed a single line of code since 2008, that was AFTER he essentially stopped in 1992.

He should be fucking grateful Linus stepped in to save his ass, and even allowing him to take partial credit for his achievements. If it wasn't for Linus, he would be nothing, he would probably be dead in a Burger King dumpster right now.

Besides, what has he ever even done? He claims to have written eMacs, but in reality he actually cloned gosmacs (the first eMacs that was made for UNIX). He didn't even write 50% of the code in eMacs.

You might say he wrote GCC and GDB, but the truth is that he initally wrote the C compiler, but now the vast majority for the same compiler is done by contributors.

He's a washed up, morbidly obese man who tries to stay relevant by having these retarded arguments that are similar to those found in the Soviet Union. Face it GNU/Freetards, Richard Stallman is a fat dickhead, and the only reason his name is still in the books is because of Linus's achievements.

setxkbmap -option ctrl:nocaps
@62316778
Go away.

Speaking of Emacs, I'm wondering if any anons could give me some advice here. I would like to use Emacs as a music player frontend but I cant decide which one to use. Bongo? EMMS? What I want specifically is a frontend with which I can navigate my music library via metadata rather than directories. Furthermore, I would like to see album covers the way that pic related does.

Yes, but how does that make you feel? Elated, sad, lonely, angry...?

Ugh. Please stop spamming this shit. We have the same fucking conversation every day with no progression. Just give it a break already.

Good.
I just look at a girl's ass and think "nice".

>be me
>walking down the street
>girl with big ass walks by
>turn to see her ass
>get mad as fuck

So "ass" makes you feel "nice"?

What is the best Linux distro for server use?

So, I want to debug why latex doesn't work right with my current vim configuration and addons so I decided to make a new user and use vim through there since it has zero configuration and a new directory.

I did su and ran vim, but I remembered that my latex config previews the pdf documents by displaying xpdf or evince for example.

When I run an X11 application as another user logged in via su, I get this:
No protocol specified
Error: Can't open display: :0

Is there a better way around this?

I either have to:
make a new vim config file and directory,
find a way around the display :0 to :0.0
or figure out how xauth works?

Looking at a fine ass does.

>go away
Only if Linux is called by its rightful name, Linux.

Was your father "nice" to you growing up? Do you have any siblings? Any sisters, brothers?

Longterm 4.9

centos or debian

My father was not with me when I was a kid. He visited once or twice a month. I see him every day now as I work with him on the (small) company he founded.

I have a brother that is being a successfull student (unlike me) studying at the best Uni in my country.

My sister is a total slut and totally broke contact with all of us. (out dad, our brother and her mom, who is not my mom).

If i3 is babbies first tiling wm, what's next?

Look into wmutils. You can have lots of fun with it.

I think we're getting somewhere. Tell me: in what way does "tiling window manager" relate to "nice", "ass", and your father?

I have no idea.

why is there a therapy session in my linux thread

stallmanix*

try copying the ~/.Xauthority file to the other user and setting export DISPLAY=:0 while in the other user's shell

What are the first three words that come to mind when I say "Linux" "Ass" "Stallman"?

Linux sucks sometimes

i3 (or awesome), bspwm and xmonad go in that specific order

I'd just like to interject for a moment, but what I just told you is Stallmanix is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "Stallmanix", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a Stallmanix, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with Stallman accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any Stallman added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "Stallmanix" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

Doesn't work unfortunately.

Does "Linux" make you... "angry"? Or "nice"?

Change permissions/owner for ~other/.Xauthority?

Sometimes angry. Sometimes acomplished.

Interesting, I got used to i3, but are the configurations for all these wms similar? Like, can I bind keyboard shortcuts for everything within one config?

When I start a program will it go to a specific workspace?

I mean, they do what i3 does, but also more and better I assume?

bumping this

I think I understand.

WELL, that's it for today. I think we really made some progress here, user. I guess we'll just have to wait until next thread to delve further. Have a good week.

>I think I understand.
But I don't understand anything dude. What do you mean "next thread"?
What the fuck

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is Linux is, in fact, just Stallmanix, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Stallmanix. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Stallmanix system made useful by the Stallmanix corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the Stallmanix system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Stallmanix which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Stallmanix system, developed by the Stallmanix Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the Stallmanix operating system: the whole system is basically Stallmanix with Linux added, or just Stallmanix. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of Stallmanix.

i3 has the simplest configuration.
For bspwm, configuration is a bunch of bspc ... ipc calls. Keyboard shortcut management is done via another program, sxhkd, still easy to configure. The example config in their repos work really well, you might not even need to change them. Being able to RTFM is a plus.

Haven't tried it yet, but seems like xmonad is the emacs of window managers, but with Haskell instead of Lisp.

Were to start off with Emacs? Any must-read's? Is there something like vimtutor for Emacs?

Oh, just did that, doesn't work still, weird.

I even removed /home/other/.Xauthority and re copied from my main user, but still doesn't work.

I mean, I can just backup the config dir and just go from there, right? Also maybe actually login to the other user, but for some reason, although I pasted my configs, the terminal's font isn't the same.

Eh, I guess I'll go the easy way out?

I'm not sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is Stallmanix is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "Stallmanix", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a Stallmanix, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with Stallman accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any Stallman added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "Stallmanix" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

>Is there something like vimtutor
Yes, and it's literally the first thing you see when you open up Emacs. Just click on the fucking link.

How much of a meme is Arch is unstable? I used Manjaro, should I switch to Antergos while I'm doing fresh installs?

only if you don't update in a while

is there such thing as a stable arch?

M-x tutorial

Is there any real benefit to hop from Manjaro?

>arch linux
>fresh installs (multiple)
you're doin' it wrong

I built a new PC and reinstalling Linux and Windows. Yes, I dual boot.

arch is the more popular distro

I mean, that's not a benefit...

b-but user ...
youtube.com/watch?v=q9mXyakv2i8

What is going on here?

Install windows at one half of the disk, clone your old disk's partitions into the new's blank space, edit windows-created EFI partition to offer booting from the newly cloned partition (or maybe install rEFInd), done.

man sudo

cd ain't a command

This post needs its own thread.
cd is a shell builtin

I mean, its literally easier to just install windows on the shitty Seagate disk I have and then run grub update, what I was asking is whether I should stick with Manjaro or install Antergos

and how can I enter the directory "1000" rhen?

sudo sh
cd 1000

sudo -i
cd 1000

sudo sh -c 'cd 1000; ls '
Since this is retarded, just login as root.
sudo -i

>tfw connection errors
WHAT THE FUCK, LET ME POST LS - L DAMMIT

Antergos I guess, Manjaro had that SSL fuckup, literally no competence in computer security.

Why doesn't Sup Forums allow postng ls -l?

Manjaro didn't fuck up, the cert deliverer fucked up.