/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

"Why am I so tired?" edition
Use a search engine before posting.

Other urls found in this thread:

support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drude_model
github.com/pfnet/PaintsChainer/wiki/Installation-Guide
windowsmatters.com/2016/11/10/gandalfs-win10pe-x64-redstone-build-14393-version-10-24-2016/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is everything alright with this? just feels so slow in the past few days

should i build a coin mining rig and charge my mom for home heating?

Oh no...does anyone want to tell him or should I?

Is this the Stupid Questions Thread?

Would a Raspberry Pi3 be good as a low power shitposting and video machine?

Since I don't always want to eat away 600 Watts when I'm here on Sup Forums or watching a video, would something like this be enough?

>stealing money from your own family
lmao why

installing visual studio is a nightmare

new 2 emacs, I want to block all .gif in eww.
Where is shr-blocked-images? How do I set it?
what file do I need to edit?
I can find no examples.
thanks

What are some good email clients which can handle a shitload of emails and accounts without freezing all the time? Outlook sucks at this

Do you use the latest Outlook or some older version?

yes

Its not for me, its for some normies I help. They have 2010, at work we have 2013 and 2016. I didnt notice any difference, they're all slow af.

We're talking about shared mailboxes, 20+ mail accounts and about 10GB or more worth of emails

Have you tried Mozilla Thunderbird? Maybe that can handle it better

sorry, meant

delete this

So that "WD Universal Firmware Updater for Windows" in support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL

I need to have windows installed on a external HDD and then run it right? I can't just run it within windows to update my HDD right?

looks ok
the ramping you see is normal for hdd's, though the spikes aren't, they aren't too bad there, could just be that the disk is being accessed by other things during your test, causing hiccoughs

first check for logical reasons for slowness, namely;
1. fragmentation
2. low space remaining (while having low space alone doesn't make things slow, this typically means you're both writing to the end of the disk, where it's slowest, and also that you have less contiguous space left, causing increased fragmentation)

When will we get DX:HR tier augmentations IRL?

Can I make money from a Facebook meme page? Like, could I make a living from a Facebook page?

Not directly
Many of those sites make money from occasional sponsored posts, but I don't think they get anywhere near enough to make a living off it

And even if, it's extremely risky since memes are, well, memes, they have no real value, get stolen and then forgotten forever

This is more of a /sci/ stupid question, but they don't have a /sqt/...

If I have a circuit with two elements (let's say bulbs for simplicity) connected in series, how do electrons "know" to share their voltage between them? When they reach the first one, what gives them the foresight to be able to say "there's another bulb coming so I'd better only give this bulb half my voltage"?

should i turn my power supply off after i shut my pc down

Damn. Thanks for explaining that

Currently neet due to an injury and looks like I will be for a while. Would it be worthwhile to study for an A+ cert?
What are some good resources for studying for it?

This HDD looks good, nothing wrong with it.

The FM tuner included with phones will not allow you to receive VHF, in the range of 162.40–162.55, right?

I'm in the hurricane's path and didn't secure a proper weather radio. I was going to see if I could do it on my phone.

Is there any way to stream HDMI to a Android phone? I basically want to play some Windows games (and maybe PS3 if wireless HDMI is possible) on my phone, but currently solutions I've tried either have too much input lag, doesn't work half of the time or it's downright shit.

>stealing

You mean replace the heater

Can someone recommend a good soundboard utility to use to play audio over in-game comms/discord.

Something with interchangable hotkeys, and a nice interface to access the storage of my files, and maybe even a 'record' feature for incoming audio if I could get small snippets to edit/replay on demand.

Bump.

Does windows 10 installer come with usb 3.0 support?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drude_model

I want to use this program which uses CUDA:
github.com/pfnet/PaintsChainer/wiki/Installation-Guide

My GPU is compatible but the installer for CUDA says it needs to overwrite the current display driver. If I discontinue using it should I uninstall CUDA, or is it any harm if I don't?

So I just woke up and found my computer super slow to boot, took about 2 minutes (have ssd)

I thought it was my SSD failing or something so I tried to run SSDLife when I got in but it wouldn't load up. I then noticed that one of my 3TB drives activity was at 100% (no read/writing going on at all) and I couldn't access it. I also couldn't access any program that accessed disks at all. Disk management wouldn't come up either, it showed up in device manager but I couldn't disable it, that's all I could see.

It even makes the UEFI super slow to operate so I disconnected the drive and everything is better.

On a scale of 1-10 how fucked am I for recovering anything on the drive?

Fuck off

Bump.

just bought a ps vita first gen with firmware 3.0 for 100€. how did i do?

i am looking for a book that contains everything about java.

what do you think about this book? Also i am not a beginner i just want to refresh my knowledge.

Get HENkaku Enso and an sd2vita and you're set.

That's about how much I sold mine for.
Seems like a decent deal and I hope you meant 3.60

Not sure where else to ask, so.

My younger brother is heading off to uni soon and my mom asked me to have a look at cheap laptops (upwards of £300 but maybe a little over) for him to do very basic stuff. He doesn't game or anything so it'll be mostly a facebook/word/movie machine.

I was thinking a thinkpad but there's no way she'd go for anything refurbished/second hand and I have no clue how good the new ranges are, plus most of them seem to be way overpriced. I haven't looked into laptops since like 2012 so I have no idea myself.

Any suggestions? UK if you couldn't already tell.

>if you speak/read Japanese
Decent deal
>if you don't speak/read Japanese
JUST

What's the most GPU-intensive graphical effect?

it's 3.01. someone in the last thread said it's fine as long as it's lower than 3.60.

Yeah you can upgrade it to 3.60 so you should be good to go.

Just requires a few extra steps.

bought a dell with ssd for my cousin recently, £720

Shadows
Reflections
Multi Sampling

Both 8 and 10 have xhci built in. It just wasn't a thing back when 7 came out.

furmark

It's good for PSP and new homebrews, bad for everything else. Price is about right

Stop trying to boot from it. Load another OS to copy shit off.

windowsmatters.com/2016/11/10/gandalfs-win10pe-x64-redstone-build-14393-version-10-24-2016/

Refletions are not that intensive

Can you suggest me linux torrent client that can work like this:

-work in background
-add magnets by typing torrent magnet:url in terminal
-starts downloading it

i didn't even know it can play psp games. i just wanted a handheld to pass my time and thought the psp was a little too old. that just made it 1000x more worth it now.

im not trying to boot off it, my ssd is fine it's one of my secondary data drives that seems to be fucked

See it's basically a general to discuss 3DS and Vita homebrews

rotrrent works from the terminal and can be remote

google it
torrent+command+line

Adrenaline is (almost) a fully featured PSP CFW. Plays all your PS1 games just like your PSP can. Except now you have a lovely dpad and twin sticks.

My crank radio can't handle the mountains, what can i do to improve its signal reliably?

Or can you recommend a radio that gets am/fm/weather that has exceptional reception? With a crank :]

Try loading crystaldiskinfo.

Any recommendations for PC speakers?
Mu budget is 100 bucks or less because i'm a poorfag.
And I already have good headphones but I still want speakers.

Help?

What are some lightweight browsers for Linux?

The one I was using doesn't open with my integrated graphics and it crashes with bumblebee.

I have the amazon basic ones, and have no complaints.
VNC

If you have an Nvidia card moonlight is your best bet.
Streaming like that typically requires a decent router and internet connection though.

Say i wanted to keep a redunant backup of a cloned hdd on hand (non-bootable/external enclosure basically), how would i go about encrypting it so that i can keep it around without having to worry about the nsa niggers stealing my data? Just turn the entire thing into a truecrypt volume?

how to make solus not have such a tiny resolution in virtual box, other distros you can just resize the screen but not with this.

so for some reason the search results in Windows 10 on one specific account are several months out of date, and won't update to new shortcuts
It's definitely not the index, because when I made a test account and used the search bar there everything came up just fine, I was able to see applications that I'd installed recently
what the fuck could be wrong
this is driving me insane

this may be a dumb question but what typically causes a server to "go down"?

i work at a small Steel manufacturing plant doing payroll/accounting/etc. we have 3 IT guys (one being a "network admin") and every few weeks our server will just "go down" and we'll have to call one of them to come in and then it works again

im just looking for an understanding in why that happens, and what they're doing to fix it.

I'm under the impression that fps in games is tied to a screens hz.

So like, even if my computer could run a game at like 240fps, if I have a 60hz monitor I'm only going to actually be getting/experiencing 60fps because that's what my display is capable of. Is this correct?

With that in mind, are there currently any good 4k displays capable of 120fps/hz action? I'm currently in the process of building a retarded monster of a PC (basically just grabbing the best/most expensive component for every category and ramming it into one system), and I want to make sure I'm going to be getting out of it what I'm putting in.

The thing is, using a combination of the Logical increments guide and 'lodes o mony' it's not hard to build a decent computer. But I'm looking to get something like a 40-70 inch TV to run games at 4k at speeds greatly exceeding the 60fps my current screen is capable of, and I don't know how possible that even is.

also applications show up in the alphabetical list and everything, but don't come up when searched for

Does it make a clanking sound? I have no idea user there is no where near enough information here.

just tried to do that, was stuck at windows loading screen for 10 minutes with the drive connected so i gave up

and shortcuts won't go away when removed
it's like it's searching a completely different index

I want to play the sims 3 on me laptop but the specs say I need "2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent."

but my laptop has "1.60GHz(2 CPUS)"

Does that mean my laptop has 3.2GHz processing power and can I play the ims 3 on it?

no, sims 3 is an old game and is horribly optimized. 2 1.60ghz cores does not make a single 3.2ghz core, performance wise it would be horrible.

but jesus christ dude what the fuck kind of laptop do you have? how old is that shit?

Are any of you guys doing work without a University education?
>For Senior Year get assigned to improve museum tech.
>Not getting paid for it.
>Having to pay to for a class to do free labor.
I know that I asked for this because i'm in Uni but how far can you expect to go/earn when you don't have a degree?

I've been installing different distros over a couple days and they are all still listed in the boot options. Is it just a listing, or does it actually still exist on the drive?

so the IT guy can keep their job XD

Are threads and images taking forever to load for anyone else or is it just me?

being actually skilled is way more valuable than a degree, in the software development world.

look at how many famous people dropped out of college to pursue their dreams (facebook guy, apple guy, woz, etc)

the issue is that degrees improve your chances of getting interviews, so if youre not good at showing your skills (by listing open source work, great personal projects, self employment, etc) then youll never get to the interviews in which you show off your comepetency

software development is currently flooded with idiot "self taught" morons who watched a few youtube videos and decided that they're devs now. if you dont have a degree youre basically going to be grouped in with these people until you find someone that gives you a chance so you can start listing experience on your resume

I accidentally deleted a folder from my external usb hdd, how do i get it back?

the fuck does this mean?

werk on my machine™

Change DNS

There is a chat service called Chatango.
In the "help" section, it reads
>Your private chat history is stored locally on the device on which the messages were sent and received.
>Currently your chat history is not saved on Chatango's servers.

How would that be done technically? I don't save cookies, and my chat history gets erased when i close my web browser.
So that suggests the chat history gets saved as cookies, right?
But i just realized something strange about that. How can cookies be used to save a chat history, which can contain potentially several months worth of conversations?
Wouldn't that require the chat history to be saved server-side?

Basically what said.

The important thing in Tech is to prove you know what you're doing. A degree can 'prove' that. Compare it to art jobs: an artist doesn't walk into an interview with a resume, they walk in with a portfolio. A giant sampler of work they've done previously.

As long as you have a solid portfolio, so to speak, you don't NEED a degree to get tech jobs.

>error no child
fucking pedos

Thanks

I didn't want to make a new thread for this, but I'm looking for a new mouse for gaming/general use. I don't have very particular requirements except that I do want it to have a sixth or seventh button that's fully customizable so I can use it as a push-to-talk. Most mice with just 6 buttons seem to have the 6th as a dedicated DPI-switch as far as I can tell, and I'm not sure how to know which have buttons that are actually customizable. Anyone have any suggestions?

What is the difference between returning x and &x here?
int main(){
int *x = new int(10);
std::cout

I'm using Steelseries rival 700. Kind of expensive though, but it has three buttons on the left side. I don't really play games, but I like the fact that it has a menu built into the mouse where you can change profiles since I use Linux and can't run their drivers. Mouse is pretty heavy though since they added shit like vibration to it, but the OLED screen is nice for the menu feature.

x is an int*.
&x is an int**. It points to a pointer to an int.

A pointer to a pointer? When was that created? Whenever I assigned x the pointer to the new int or whenever I called &x?

Trying in a minute

How decent we are talking about? About the GPU, I think I need a upgrade anyway

Whenever you call &x. That creates an unnamed temporary variable, which is a pointer to wherever x is.
int x;
int *ptr_to_x;
int **ptr_to_ptr_to_x;
ptr_to_x = &x;
ptr_to_ptr_to_x = &ptr_to_x;

Ahh I see thank you. I assume everything is allocated on stack as well unless I use "new" right?