/tpg/ Thinkpad General

Show us your Thinkpad Edition

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Previous thread:

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook, GETAC's,Toughbooks).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) and P, T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable

Recommended original IBM models:
T60, T61, X60, X61, 860, Transnote, PC110
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

Other urls found in this thread:

www3.lenovo.com/au/en/accessories-and-monitors/chargers-and-batteries/batteries/BATTERY-ThinkPad-Battery-70/p/0A36303#
amazon.com/Lenovo-Extended-Battery-0a36303-Originals/dp/B00LLT3ANI
amazon.com/Lenovo-0A36303-ThinkPad-Notebook-Packaging/dp/B0085MPGDG
independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/mi6-and-mi5-refuse-to-use-lenovo-computers-over-claims-chinese-company-makes-them-vulnerable-to-8737072.html
mega.nz/#!jpY10JoZ!rCnxS0yg3YB3l5Hcs4SbQC-XVqhPf4v98Y3SMlMOpXM
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/56i428/t420_unable_to_detect_a_bootable_usb_in_bios/
media.giphy.com/media/VIOkcgpsnA2Zy/giphy.gif
aliexpress.com/item/New-9-cell-laptop-battery-for-lenovo-ThinkPad-T410i-T420-T510-T520-42T4763-42T4764-42T4798-57Y4185/32292551810
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>tfw you cum on the classic trackpoint

Bumping my question from prev. thread:
Which ebay sellers sell original T420 70++ batteries? There is so many chinks, I don't know who to look at. Or should I check amazon?

wat

>tfw you run your finger around the soft rim trackpoint

fuck off retard

FUCK OFF

Get an OEM 70++, Amazon has them from Lenovo for a decent price, I'm in Canada so had to order mine through work, cost nearly 200 dollars but in my case it was worth it. Replaced my old 50++ which made a world of difference. I couldn't find a knock off battery at the rated 94Wh capacity

I'm just ordered a t440 and plan on disabling the trackpoint. How does this make you feel /tpg/?

Lenovo still sells genuine T420 9 cell 70++ batteries:

www3.lenovo.com/au/en/accessories-and-monitors/chargers-and-batteries/batteries/BATTERY-ThinkPad-Battery-70/p/0A36303#

These are both reputable on amazon as well:

amazon.com/Lenovo-Extended-Battery-0a36303-Originals/dp/B00LLT3ANI

amazon.com/Lenovo-0A36303-ThinkPad-Notebook-Packaging/dp/B0085MPGDG

Personally I would stay away from ebay. I have bought a few chinkshit batteries that had 20% or more wear on it before it hit 50 cycles.

but that's a stock feature since the trackpoint is already unusable with the stock touchpad

pissed because you for one bought an ultrabook and because the TrackPoint is really comfy to use after some time of getting used to it

4 u

k, amazon it is

>pissed because you for one bought an ultrabook
How is this a bad thing?

forgot to say thanks, thanks Sup Forumsentelman

np satan

np good luck with your exploding battery, jinxed user

post your thinkpads

ISO Enter key
dropped

440p desu

German keyboard? Got it locally or from elsewhere?

fukin Chinks

independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/mi6-and-mi5-refuse-to-use-lenovo-computers-over-claims-chinese-company-makes-them-vulnerable-to-8737072.html

The LG display in the T440s has a bit of a weird anti glare coating and minimal IPS-style backlight bleed. The colors on the display are fucking excellent though and it's lightyears ahead of TN panels (coming from a 2015 13" MacBook Air).
I don't know how good the AUO display is but the LG display is a pretty decent display.

I got the Lenovo System Update file. Does that mean I don't need to manual install anything ever again?

And again
optical-drive-and-windows-less Thinkpad BIOS flashing bootable USB image (tested working on X201, contains whitelist-free X201 BIOS ROM)
I'd love to know if anyone tests it on other ThinkPads. It should flash the BIOS on other Phoenix BIOS models, I think, if you substitute your BIOS rom for 'BIOS.WPH' on the filesystem.
6.4MiB
mega.nz/#!jpY10JoZ!rCnxS0yg3YB3l5Hcs4SbQC-XVqhPf4v98Y3SMlMOpXM

Maybe user is German...

>tfw i create a sticker that makes Sup Forums give me their names and addresses and billing info

owo

i'm having the exact same problem as this guy
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/56i428/t420_unable_to_detect_a_bootable_usb_in_bios/
guess i'm stuck using windows...

That or you stop being retarded and thoroughly inspect your work, and maybe try to just write the disc image directly to the flash drive instead of using bullshit like rufus or whatever. Those frequently don't work properly.

Why aren't you anons using an X40?

>no hardware backdoor
>super efficient processor
>best keyboard
>near-retina screen
>10+ hour battery life with wireless, 14 hours with it turned off (with new chink battery)
>no homosex trackpad
>no need to install transexual boot shit
>gigabit ethernet
>tiny and sexy
>proper aspect ratio
>internal roll cage to protect drive (no screen / lid cage but IDGAF)
>actual IBM logo
>no built in camera or mic, stymies CIA niggers
>only $30 or so
>cute docking station and extended battery available
>*yellow* thinklight to preserve night vision
Why don't you own the finest laptop ever made?

Photogenic weekend pic included.

How can I use my ThinkPad to combat my sudden bout of depression?

Upgrade it, mod it and go on a journey for the ultimate Thinkpad.

I bout 3 SSDs and 2 msata drives already... in a month. Also got three already, x200T, x220T, W520. The only thing I might upgrade is the W520 screen to a FHD one but I don't know if it would be completely worth it.

My favorite laptop ever, top-spec w530

> in b4 OMG WIN10

Sellers pic, I have Debian on it now

>Chiclet keyboard
just buy an apple queerbones

I'm buying x140e with 8 GB of RAM and and A4-5000 AMD APU.
What do you think guys? Will it run Ubuntu good?

The keyboard being chiclet isn't the problem. The layout is. If they had switched to chiclet without changing the layout I'd be more than g lad. The chiclet keys actually feel a lot better than the old keys.

>use T420 for college work
>girl in my class asked me why I use that "clunky ugly thing" instead of a Macbook or something
What is the appropriate answer that doesn't come across as autistic?

no they dont

I rather like this kb. I was considering modding a classic kb into it, I have a broken T420 at the office, but after spending some time with this I don't really feel the need to.

so far i've spent my entire day updating drivers. What a piece of shit laptop.

Tell them it's a laptop nerds like but that you wont bore her with the details

No.
Best option to salvage that mistake is an SSD and fast ram. Even then, you're pushing it.

This is coming from a guy who just bought a Thinkpad 15 with an AMD Turion II P540. Edge series a shit.

lern 2 lenovo update utility

I would tell her because this laptop costs $100 and Macbooks are $1000+ and it does everything that would do.

>not using the lenovo system update utility
more like piece of shit user

Tell her that the ThinkPad is one of the only laptops to go into space. Then say "It's kind of rough on the outside but once you get to know it you'll love it. Like me." Say it in a Chad way though or else her autism detector will go off.

Tell that harlot that Thinkpads aren't ugly.

I already have X220. X140e seems to be the best 11,6'' thinkpad. Real 4 cores, HD 8330 GPU, 2 USB 3.0+ 1 USB 2.0, VGA+HDMI. What else do you want? I just want something smaller than the x220 as it is somewhat heavy when you need to keep in in one hand while standing and typing with the other hand.

>using my thinkpad
>stacy approaches
>"Wow user! How much did that old thing cost?"
>"It's kind... of rough"
>she grows nervous
>"What?"
>"It's rough on the outside, like me, but you'll love my insides"
>she never talks to me again
No thanks, "Chad"

that's not what I said baka

>spacebarlet
kek

Looking for a cheap laptop, never checked out this general before. Looked through the buyers guide.

Why do I need this in my life now?

I'm visiting the US in a month Sup Forums. Is 3 weeks enough for me to order an x230, do a very thorough test, and get it replaced if something might be wrong?

Because it will change how you look at laptops. Purely from a physical feel and design standpoint. Looking the IBM and early Lenovo era of ThinkPads, you find a certain design philosophy: functionality and reliability. Those two concepts mesh well into a no frills laptop that will go with you and do what you need.

The keyboard is the main attraction for many and of course the ever famous TrackPoint. It really is something that will shape how you use a computer once you use it. The TrackPoint is right under your fingers, allowing you to keep your hands on the keyboard, ready to type at a moments notice. If all you have to do is a small adjustment, it's easier to use the TrackPoint rather than move your whole hand to a trackpad. It's so good that I bought an IBM keyboard with a TrackPoint to replace my other keyboard.

you don't buy a macbook and never be pissed off again

why do I have to check all the boxes on the lenovo driver & software section?
WHY ISN'T THIS AUTOMATIC?

use tab + spacebar

next time get some anime stickers so it looks cool

Upgrade the bios can blowk hardware changes ?
How to use cumstom boot screen ?
Can i remove custom boot screen and how ?

>How to use cumstom boot screen ?
cum onto your screen before the POST happens

What does that

FUCK DRIVERS AND FUCK WHITE PEOPLE

Why

Give it back Jamal

Which model did you buy? I'm considering getting one but I'd prefer the old 7 row design without a touchpad, no idea which one would fit my requirements.

media.giphy.com/media/VIOkcgpsnA2Zy/giphy.gif

That's the ones who made internet, pc, os, e.t.c..
Go get a stick nigga and try to browse the net

bump
please

Well if you want without a touchpad, the X200, X200T, some x201 models are the last, most modern ThinkPads with a 7 row keyboard design and no touchpad.

Personally, I have an x200T, an x220T and a W520. The X series are decently small and light and the W series is a large but pretty powerful. What are your needs for a laptop?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH
NOW I'VE GOT TONNES OF LENOVO SPYWARE AND NOTHING WORKS

Anything for Europe, good man?

it's a japanese keyboard.

Depends on where you buy it from if you can get it replaced. Where are you from? That helps with how fast you can get it. Also what made you choose the x230? What are your needs?

Everything about the Japs is small, even their spacebars.

Maybe the 10 minute battery life and 4gb of ram is not what people are looking for.

backspace and right shift as well

I made anons list legible and made it read better.

is cuter

should i buy this for a t420?
aliexpress.com/item/New-9-cell-laptop-battery-for-lenovo-ThinkPad-T410i-T420-T510-T520-42T4763-42T4764-42T4798-57Y4185/32292551810

lel didn't even see that one.

Well that'll serve you moe loving degenerates well.

I hate that when you have ass loads of ram it looks like your OS is using a lot but really it's just proportional to how much resources you have.

>Where are you from
I will be staying in Georgia and Florida. I am too far from the US that shipping will cost me fortune so I may have to live with a defective piece of shit if I don't quickly eliminate all problems. I've looked around, spare thinkpad parts are not exactly common here.
>what made you choose the x230
I can also consider the T series, it really just depends on what price I could get it on. I'd rather not spend more than $300, that includes a 9 cell battery brand new if possible.
>What are your needs
Portability I guess. I don't want it to be heavy. I spend a lot of time traveling as my job here in my home country.

Go away fag

I put all the RAM in to host some lab VMs that I can never find time to actually use and learn on :'

>W510
my nigga
>tfw 95% gamut FHD

bretty gud. what font?

The X series will probably be good enough for you. It's the smallest that Lenovo makes, at least the x230 that you're looking at. It won't have an optical drive, which you probably won't need anyway, so that helps lighten the load. The screen won't be super high res like a T series, but that's the compromise you'll have to make.
>9 cell battery brand new
I highly doubt you'll get that from ebay, which I assume is where you're looking. But you can still get a decent genuine battery with the system if you look around. Also i'm pretty sure you can find a full system(no missing parts, battery, AC adapter, with OS) for under $300. I got an x220T for $150 with everything included and free shipping so it's definitely possible.

Are you planning on getting it while you're in the US or before you come here?

>best chiclet on the market
>lmao you should buy a no travel mushy keyboard
Good one apoo

*10 HOUR battery

And mine only has 1.25GB RAM but it's enough.

It's mostly disk cache probably.

>"because it's better"

How do I know if the BIOS supervisor password is allowed?
Most things in BIOS are grayed out...

Stop shilling it. It's fun and comfy but too outdated. The oldest model usable today is the X60 and T60

Go away reddit

>I highly doubt you'll get that from ebay, which I assume is where you're looking.
I will try looking on 2nd hand shops but ebay will be my go-to, yeah.
>Are you planning on getting it while you're in the US or before you come here?
While I'm in the US. I don't trust my people enough to get me exactly what I want.
Can you give me a rough estimate on how long shipping times usually are?