Discovery

How do I find my "domain name"? My question keeps taking me one step past the original question. Sorry for the noob level but you have to start somewhere.

>my "domain name"
Do you have one?

I am trying to figure out what that this.

That is not a sensible English sentence

Well then humor my ignorance.

I can't because you can't explain what you're trying to ask.

in what context. What's asking the question? Etc.

You need a registrar to register a domain name such as from godaddy/namecheap/etc. If you haven't bought one then you have no domain name. Context, man, we need the damned context in which this question is asked.

I haven't used Telnet in quite some time. 19 years to be exact. I am having trouble starting my re-education because I am roadblocked by not knowing or being able to find a domain name to start.

?

Okay what does telnet have to od with anything. Explain IN DEPTH. What are you trying to ocnnect to, what reference are you reading, etc.

It's like if I asked you this: "Do I need the screw or lug nut? Because I ahven't built this thing in a while." see? No context.

Explain in depth from where to what you're trying to do, on what platform. What literature you're reading to learn from.

You purchase a domain name from a registrar. The registrar then gives you the ability to point the domain at any IP address you want. When people access your domain name, they will be connected to the computer that has the IP address you specified.

Some examples of registrars you can purchase domain names from are namecheap.com or gandi.net

Thanks to both of you. I will start again in /wsr/ with an ever more basic question. I'm in over my head.

are you trying to ask how you register a domain name?

lol at this mental illness

You have to start somewhere.

With multiple devises on different operating systems on my wifi network, what would be the best or easiest way to drop a simple message on some of those devices via Terminal on OS X? I know this is a low level question, so please take it easy.

he's talking about the hostname of his computer i.e. localhost.localdomain

Thanks. Any direction on finding that?

Your question doesn't make sense. If you never named a domain then you don't have a domain name. Are you talking about your IP address?

stop responding to OP he is doing some faggy Lost show larp I think.

Unix: hostname --fqdn
Windows: echo %COMPUTERNAME%.%USERDNSDOMAIN%

I appreciate the help.

You have to go back.

Write a socks program to open a socket on each device and listen. Maybe multicast. ZMQ push/pull would work...