Are mechanical keyboards a meme?

Other than N key rollover are there any real benefits to going mechanical?

I have never spend more than £10 on a keyboard and my current KU-0316 is comfy as fuck.

How do I justify spending upwards of £100 on a button board?

what are you asking when you say "is _____ a meme"?

as for how you justify spending money on anything, you can ask that of literally everything you buy that's more than just gruel to keep you alive.

normal keyboards feel like completly horrible compared to mech ones
They're expensive but will last forever anyways

I will literally be dead by the time I get a return on investment.

If you're ok with typing on whatever garbage then why make a thread? Some of use type a lot and want it to be comfy

Thinkpads have don't have mechanical keyboards and nobody talks shit about that. I feel this entire thing is just people trying to justify wanting pretty keyboards.

>normal keyboards feel like completly horrible compared to mech ones

i used to think that before my rosewill broke, a $20 dollar logitech keyboard feels the same

/thread

But do any laptops actually have mechanical keyboards?
Thinkpad keyboards are far superior to (((membrane))) shit and I would still much rather type on my noppo
Some people do go crazy with their keyboards but they're like rice fags on linux

I don't know what keyboard that is, but whenever I have to use a normal dome-switch the difference is night and day
Maybe there are good quality ones but I've never used one

I like the clickity clack sounds they make when I'm typing, its super comfy. I have a Corsair K70 Lux and I barely even play video games anymore.

>loud distracting sound
>loud distracting lights

ok

Its a meme as much as driving a luxury car is a meme if you ask me. A K120 is like $10 but you can type just as well as on a mechanical keyboard and you wont annoy your neighbors. But its the tactile feel of a mechanical keyboard that makes the experience altogether more enjoyable. People buy them because they like the tactile feedback on their fingers, and for the nostalgia because keyboards were originally mechanical.

I don't care how people spend their money but telling me that the feel of a keyboard matters at all after the first 10 minutes you get it out the box is straight bullshit.

I picked up a used matias quiet click keyboard of craigslist for 50 bucks and its great. Its as loud as my rubber dome and I like the tactile feedback. Its much more crispy to type on then my old mushy k120

I disagree. If you are typing a lot, you might find yourself motivated to type more simply because its more fun to type on the mechanical keyboard. Its like driving a Park Avenue vs a Toyota. In the Park Avenue you might want to just keep driving, because you are enjoying sailing along the road.

>Other than N key rollover are there any real benefits to going mechanical?
NKRO and Mechanical have nothing to do with each other... there's nothing stopping a membrane keyboard from having NKRO

Stop calling everything that you're too fucking stupid to read up on a "meme".

The majority of mechanical boards that people actually buy have it or so I have seen.

in order to have nkro for a rubber dome you need to put some diodes in your keyboard and re arrange the matrix. The average consumer doesn't need nkro, so the only rubber domes that really have it are gayming ones.

i honestly dont care about using a rubber dome keyboard but i have a ducky cause i fell for the memes

A few gayming laptops have full mechanical boards but they are the size of a briefcase.

Membrane keyboards have a "pop" to them when you press. It's not like there is no feedback at all

You don't need to spend 100 british pounds on a keyboard. Just buy a unicomp classic or ultra classic and save your money. Cherry keys are a meme. You should be using buckling spring.

>what did you just say?
>I can't hear you, the light is too loud!!

CLICKITY CLICK CLICK CLANK CRUNCH CLAK CLICKITY CLAK CREAK.

Mechanical keyboards do not need to click though. You can get tactile or linear switches. Clicky switches are deliberately made to be loud because some people want the click.

Depends on the keyboard and what you're willing to put up with or if you mind certain things.

For me, the main things that sold me on mechanical keyboards, regardless of it being only $40 is that it's much less fatiguing for longer type sessions, say if I'm typing up a report or something. A standard layout means that if it breaks or something, I can easily move to another keyboard and not need to get used to new spacing, layout, etc, and it's just as quiet as a membrane keyboard since it uses gateron reds.

The way I see it is that if you're gonna spend a good bit of money on your desktop, you might as well get some good peripherals since they're the things you directly interact with. A nice keyboard and good screen can make even a shitty thinkpad feel a lot nicer.

This should be part of the sticky
>Is ___ a meme
threads should be bannable

Should stop at the end with a Topre board.

Don't be an ape and smash the keyboard.

If its not something that's worthwhile to you don't buy it.
I have a membrane keyboard like that at work and I really despise it. You have to be far more forceful and it feels like your typing through a layer of carpet.
I will be replacing the work one when I have time to build one up.
But if you only use a computer for shit posting or gaming its probably not worthwhile for you.

Mechanical keyboards have lower latency and response times compared to membrane keyboards.

t. I own the Logitech G Pro, which is the fastest and best keyboard on the market

when a membrane goes bad, it goes bad slowly, with a mechanical, I know damn well if I pressed a key or not, this improved my typing significantly.

no, they are just the size of traditional desktop replacements, and thats what they are.

seriously, fucking faggots on this board cant handle 10-15 lbs.

Or a $30 chink keyboard

Doing that would be like banning the word botnet

I am using this exact HP keyboard right now. It feels pretty comfy desu.

Mechanical keyboards are like luxury items but since we are getting cheaper ones, that's not really true anymore. Personally, what I like about mechanical keyboards is that they feel great and has more variety in terms of layout. After trying mechanical keyboards, rubber dome ones feels so cheap and mushy now.

>Topre
nice joke

Nice meme

Can't get a rubberdome like this

>trackball
>trackpad
>trackpoint
GEE BILL!

They feel nicer. But sure, you could sit on a wooden stool instead of a proper padded chair too, and it'd probably be a lot cheaper as well.

i've been like you before i finally decided to cash in on the cheapest cherry mx blue keyboard i could find and honestly the tactile feeling is so different, i don't blame you for being skeptical but after using a mechanical keyboard for like 2 months i can never go back, this shit is just so nice to type on

I have a 6gv2

I really can't go back to rubber dome
Once I thought my 6gv2 broke, so I used a rubber dome for 2 days, pretty nauseating, luckily my 6gv2 just needed a good dry

It's more of a religion then a meme. But in one way all religions are memes. A meme is cultures equivalent to biology's "gene" .

"is X a meme?" is one of the heaviest memes on Sup Forums right now. And I hate you.

>laptop keyboard

mechanical keyboards are the worst

I believe the vast majority of laptops use mechanical switches.

>what are you asking when you say "is _____ a meme"?
He is asking if _____ is simply a passing fad, devoid of any real value.

kek

>spend 8 hours a day working on a computer.

>only want to spend $10 on the keyboard and $7 on the mouse.

Why do people do this?

This

Same bro

They're retarded.

>I am going to spend 80% of my day, 7days a week, 365 days a year on this computer but I'll use a 10€ keyboard, 10€ mouse and shitty 50€ chair.

Why do this to yourself? I'll never know.
I think all the anti-mech posters are just underage faggots or poorfags jealous they can't even spare 100 bucks on a good piece of equipment.

I have been using the same keyboard for 8 years and have no plans on upgrading. I dont even push the keys all the way down I just got used to what I have and really don't think a mechanical keyboard would do anything to improve my typing or """comfyness"""

>are there any real benefits
here's one, you can clean the keyboard easily since the caps can just be pulled off with fingers

>tfw incredibly sweaty glands
whats more resistant against the clutches of bodily made salt water, mechanical or generic?
or does it depend on the keycaps?

I got one from aliexpress for like 30 bucks.
Pretty comfy, desu

The nice thing about mechanical keyboards is you can customize almost every aspect of your keyboard to your liking. Keycaps and switches obviously. But also case, plate, cable, led lighting and layout even.

They are a meme for the most part.

I don't mind good feeling keys, but people here are literally promoting Cherry MX crap, which is worse than any decent rubber dome.

Keep thinking that dude, it's your wrists and your typing experience.

>having f keys
>having ctrl, function, alt, shit, WASTE
>still having numbers
>having bloat, er I mean arrows, insrt, and all that junk