/pcbg/ - PC Building General

if you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - If you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use, not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Good fucking luck even getting a VEGA right now

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM, 3200 MHz is ideal

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-SSDNow-SV300S37A-240G/dp/B00A1ZTZNM
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106004
pcpartpicker.com/list/Bzx2Ps
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

so what would be the best used processor to pair with a 970? 2500k, 2600k, 3570k, 3770k?

all are within £50 of each other and i want to spend the least required to play at 1080p

Bristol Ridge, yay or nay?

I'd say yay, if only for the far superior upgrade path. Just make sure to pair it with a good B350 motherboard.

should I get a free-sync or g-sync monitor?

I overclocked my g3258 to 1.25v 4.6Ghz on a stock cooler and reached 72C under 100% load for an hour.
Why is this not the recommended budget cpu anymore. Upgradeablity?.

Do you have an AMD or Nvidia GPU?

right now I have an rx 480 but will buy gtx 1070 on black friday.

Is the stock cooler on the R5 1600 good enough to use in a mITX case?

depends. Do you plan to buy an AMD graphics card, or an nvidia graphics card?
Only AMD cards work with Freesync.
Only nvidia cards work with G-sync.

Freesync is MUCH cheaper.
G-sync requires you to sell your first born child to nvidia, as well as an arm and a leg.

Fucking why? One, 1070 ain't gonna see any good deals, and two, that's a sidegrade if I ever saw one.

yes, though you'd have to worry about the height of the cooler versus the case.

neither. get a nice 1440p60 monitor for half the price and with much superior colors, like those pro monitors

Is it true freesync can work with nvidia gpus?

no.

Is it fine to keep using a 9 year old PSU?

the monitor will, and you're experience will be practically identical to someone using an amd gpu but as for the tech itself, nah. freesync is shit anyway. everyone i know who has a freesync monitor reports bad input lag and shit freesync ranges e.g. mg279q. i only know one guy with a gsync monitor pg278q and he's told me nothing but good things but fuck paying like $600 for a fucking monitor. just do this

Is Corsair the only company that offers Sleeved cables for their PSUs? Not talking about extensions

I have a 1440 (ASUS PB258Q) and want to experience 144hz, I'm falling for all the "can't go back to 60" shilling and need to see for myself but fuck TNs and screentearing

I was able to get a 27 4K monitor (Dell P2715Q) for what I would have payed for a 24 2K G-Sync one.

Dear /pcbg/, would I see a real improvement going from my current old and shit SSD
amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-SSDNow-SV300S37A-240G/dp/B00A1ZTZNM
to a 512GB Samsung 850 EVO ? Is it worth it?

It's for my app/os partition. I have other HDDs for storage/media/games.

So a budget build is around 300? And a midrange is around 600 and a high-end build is around 1200 all the way to 3000 right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

at the end of the day you won't even be able to hit 144 fps consistently at 1440p. probably not even 100 fps consistently. i have a 1070 at 1080p and i barely get over 100 fps in games like bf1 on ultra at 1080p due to my cpu. you'd have to literally upgrade your whole system to take advantage of some meme tech. i'd personally just stick to 1440p60 unless you already have a 7700k oc to 5ghz

Cheaper in the long run if you plan to upgrade since you don't have to replace the motherboard with the AM4 socket. Pentium is probably better side by side even though its 2c/4t rather than a real 4core.

>covfefe lake
>LGA 1151 V2
>Z370 followed by Z390 chipset

top kek

A budget build should be $400. When a gpu cpu and mobo cost 100 each you arent getting one for $300 unless you waste money on used old parts that are heavily outdated.

I'm saving for a 1080 ti anyway, but I can't afford the cuckbux for a gsync monitor too, what's the best way to get 144hz without a shitty TN? Is VA panels any good?

Get an ips version?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106004

what i'm currently using

just get a freesync monitor without using freesync. you wont have any of the issues i mentioned before as you won't be using the freesync tech which is the main problem of those monitors. something like the pg279q is ips 1440p 144hz but suffers from a super shitty freesync range and also input lag when freesync is used but like i said you won't be using freesync anyway so you won't have those problems

mg279q*

So I've set everything up and during the installation of winblows 10, and it asked if I wanted to install on the HDD or the SSD so I know it knows they are both there, but when going through the file manager only the SSD shows up. How do I fix this?

Looks good but I'm always scared of dead pixels and excessive backlight bleed, especially from ASUS. It took several rmas to get one that wasnt shit with my PB258Q, has their QC gotten any better in the last year or so?

IPS QC in general is shit. several brands have backlight bleed problems specifically with their 144hz IPS panels

Are these timings terribad ?

The panels are all AUO panels

I've a i5 3330 and i can get a second hand 3770k for 80€.
Is it worth it?

How long could I expect a PSU to stay in good health when I have only ever used 80% of its max capacity and probably average around 40%?

I never had psu break on me and I was using cheap chink shit for 7 years, now my father uses it for another 2 years.

i want to know the same thing

If you can get better timings at 2933/3000, I'd go with that instead.

fucking do it, I've got an OC'd 3770K in my machine, worth the invest at that price

Okay, thanks user, I had a little trouble with my pc and thought it was my PSU, but I think it's probably the mobo then (now that it's no longer working, I'm pretty sure even). But I'll see if I can try another system first and if it works it'd save me a few bucks for when I build a new system.

I think oc'd 3770k will still do fine for next 2-3 years and then you can just make one huge jump to either zen 2 or whatever else is gonna be great then.

my buddy just put an AMD FX-8350 in his computer
is he an idiot?

Yes. Increase DRAM voltage (and tweak other settings) and try to lower them. Even cheap memory kits are around 16-18-18-38. Good Samsung b-die kits are something like 14-14-14-34 and they can also be tightened. If you are on Ryzen getting higher memory clock is not always better than super tight timings.

I just bought a 1080ti, what am I in for?

Absolutely

High framerates and equally high temperatures if your card has shit cooling.

I got one that has three fans on it. I'm hoping its going to be okay.

Depends, do you have the motherboard to support it?

3770k is still a a damn good cpu, but I think if you had to replace your motherboard too for a Z series, you might as well save up more money until you can replace the Mobo/cpu/ram and might as well go ryzen at that point.

with what gpu and what performance?

I want to wait for coffeelake but i still did not test my parts what do?

Several factors will affect the lifespan of a psu.

But as long as there are good quality components and engineering in place, and you dont push its limits, two times its warranty time I'd say.

Its a bit of a lottery. If you are gonna build a budget system then go ahead and reuse it, just make sure it has enough power to deliver, but if you are gonna use some more expensive components that require more juice, get a new one.

anyone familiar with watercooling know what could cause this discoloration? easily cleanable or should i return it?

>get a shitty walmart keyboard because im borrowing my current keyboard from a friend
>half the keys dont fucking work
epic

>not getting 4 fans
Do you even chink gpus?

>buy the Vega 56 combo for $500 yesterday
>check newegg today to see if I missed out on any non-combo MSRP Vegas
>see this

Boy, that was a close one. Is anyone selling the 56 at MSRP anymore?

Will probably get a r3 1200 and keep my hd6850(which got bottlenecked by my current cpu, so it's like getting a new gpu, really) until gpu prices drop, and as soon as Ryzen 2 releases I might get that and a new psu depending on power usage and how long it'll take to actually release.

>gpu delievered to parcel box instead of front door
>roommate has mail key since I never get anything there anyway

i hope irma wipes these usps bastards out one by one

>be me
>have H100i liquid cooler in my desktop, because I built it when I was really into the gayming meme
>fuck up the PC, spend a few months debating on what components to upgrade, what OS to install, procrastinate a fuckton
>spend most of my time on a laptop instead
So typical temps on my "gaming" laptop would be about 40*C idle, and 90*C full load (so when playing a modern game). Back to the story:
>finally get PC set up
>thoroughly clean it with compressed air
>blow out like 2 pounds of dust from the cooler's radiator
>go for a quick stress test
>pic related

Seems good to me?

Well no shit. I don't remember temps like that even before I stopped using my PC - I recall about 27*C idle, 50*C load. I've never had sub-40*C temps under full load.

I'm running a proper prime95 test right now and it just barely peaked over 40 to 42*C.

currently on 16-18-18-36 with ryzen 1600 at 3200, good enough?

youre good, imo 14cl premium isnt worth the effort

Is there a W7 Image that is pre-updated (exception of telemetry patches)?

Nope. Just run wsus offline, after all that's installed, run remove windows 7 telemetry script, and disable updates, and you're good. Check for security rollouts once every so often.

ok I want to buy a monitor for competitive fps gaming, esports, etc. should I even bother with 4k? which monitor should I choose? Currently planning a build with a threadripper and a 1080ti

Get 144Hz. Then depending on which games you play, get either FHD or QHD - just make sure you'll be able to keep your framerate up in your chosen games at that resolution if you go above 1080p, otherwise it would be a waste.

And unless you're confident you can maintain 144FPS 100% of the time (which would probably be the case, say, for CS:GO with a 1080ti, but not necessarily so for more modern games), then make sure it has G-sync.

I'm looking for a case that's particularly good at keeping dust and particulate OUT of my system. I have 3 dogs and a major dust problem in my house. Can anyone Recommend a chassis that would be best to keep my precious precious build dust free?

is 1.4v 24/7 too high for dram ?
also 1.15 NB ?

Thanks

can someone please help me, i found a pc in the dumpster and threw arch on it
i dont know what to upgrade, it can barely run arch
cpu is slow and ram is limited, mobo is trash as well, its a dell 745 btw
maybe another OS than arch would be better for this? dont want to spend much on it really
pic related

do you have any additive in the loop?

Could be plasticizer leaking from your tubing. Does the tubing look ok?

Is there any way of reading out VRM temps on Vega?

isnt arch supposed to be barebones? if it cant run that just stick it back in the dumpster you found it in

i bought it used so i have no way of answering this unfortunately. i guess it's not rust so i'm going to go ahead and try cleaning it and see if the stain is permanent.

ill prob throw it back into the dumpster, cant use it for anything now
ill save up the case + gpu though
i can never find good free stuff

FPS so overwatch, cs:go, stuff like gta5, some comp starcraft, stuff like that. I just want to be able to compete without worrying about being bottlenecked by hardware.

This is the build I am tentatively working with:

pcpartpicker.com/list/Bzx2Ps

I'd like to shave some cash off of it if I can, but going for peak performance makes it difficult. if anyone sees anywhere where I could get equivalent performance for less money, that would be great.

>MAX performance for toaster tiles like ovwrwatch, cs:go, starcraft
>gaming with threadripper

What are you doing?

>Total: $4126.29
Fuck this gay earth

>pcpartpicker.com/list/Bzx2Ps
dear fucking lord man im pretty sure this is a bait if it not please do your research

cucksports games run like silky butter
no need to blow this much money

What happened to logicalincrements?

FUTUREPROOF™

Pic related is current build. What kind of performance increase am I looking at if I went and built this.

>CPU
Ryzen 5 1600
>MOBO
GA-AB350-GAMING 3
>RAM
Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
>GPU
MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB

>msi

I've used them for six years and haven't had any issues what so ever. Fuck off nigger.

Msi video cards are good, only their mobos are shit

Not much if any in single core performance. You would've got better performance using all that money to grab a 1080 maybe even 1080ti instead of your 1060

When will sexy babes make a return to our GPUs?

In that case I'll probably just end up selling the 1060 and then get a 1080.

Wait for Ryzen 2 and buy a 1080/1080ti in the meantime, your 4770K is still good enough for games since 1-2-4 cores is still the name of the game. 1600 is mainly good if you want to record/stream or do video editing / use your pc for work.

Also
>upgrading from a 1060 to a 1070

no

I like girls where I can count their polygons.

Just upgrade the GPU if you really want.
Upgrading from Haswell to anything requiring a mobo upgrade is a waste of money.

Damn, I was looking forward to upgrading. Thanks for the advice.

>nigger thinks this is an "upgrade"

First you get mad at MSI, now you ridicule someone for thinking they were building an upgrade. Get a life buddy, atleast I can afford a PC.

I'm not even the same guy who mentioned MSI.

Now the fucking MSI internet defense force shows up and quotes the wrong person. Honestly though, do people in this thread even do their own research or are capable of independent thought?

It's not worth it to go from i7 4770 to an R5 and from 1060 to a 1070.

>>MAX performance for toaster tiles like ovwrwatch, cs:go, starcraft
>>gaming with threadripper
>What are you doing?

streaming, encoding, gaming, etc I need an all in one due to space concerns. I do youtube and twitch so something that can stream while getting a video ready to post on youtube after hours of editing seems great.

How do you think I feel, I have to PAY for this -_-

it's not bait, and I've done quite a bit of research. I can tell you why i chose each item, but I'm not going to say I'm an expert. Please do help to cut the cost if you can, I still have to buy mic, webcam, boom, etc... and its not cheap.

Basically I want a professional rig, not just a gaming pc that moonlights as a streaming box.

>Dear /pcbg/, would I see a real improvement going from my current old and shit SSD
>amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-SSDNow-SV300S37A-240G/dp/B00A1ZTZNM
>to a 512GB Samsung 850 EVO ? Is it worth it?
>
>It's for my app/os partition. I have other HDDs for storage/media/games.
Any opinions on this?

>How do you think I feel, I have to PAY for this -_-
Go be rich somewhere else this is a weaboo neet board.