Hi Sup Forumsuys...

Hi Sup Forumsuys, I am currently looking to switch from windows to linux and have tried a few of the "commercial" flavors like ubuntu, debian and mint, but I am looking for something more clean. I'm sure you can configure it out of one of these, but I am looking for a bare bones OS. No mini game packages or anything like it. Just linux as is. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Arch or Gentoo

no stay on windows

As a fomrer Linux user dont do it you need windows

Am looking for this as well, my new laptop I can share with my gf cuz the other is a broken piece of shit that I want to switch to gentoo.
Is there some sort of emulator/virtual desktop I can try this shit out on before I fully switch.
It's what we call our "whore" computer full of my pron in hidden files and movies, music etc.

Don't go down the rabbit hole of demonising "bloat". It's not worth it.

I second Arch.

get Antegros or Manjaro if you are a beginner and want some sort of minimum.

Arch and Gentoo is a pain in the ass to install and the arch wiki is shit.

Not OP but is Subgraph OS any good?

What I've recommended is what OP wants.

If OP wanted to get work done I would've recommended OpenSUSE

Hi hipsters I don't know shit about linux and just want to be trendy with the other posers in IRC and want some autism hard-on-purpose distro because I don't yet know that even if I do manage to install it I will still get banned from the channel anyway for some sub hipster reason like my WM wasn't autistically configured enough

I don't know how to decipher what you just wrote, but all I'm looking for is a challenge. I have no computer background other than what I have learned doing research online. I like to challenge myself to see what I can do and this seems like a cool project for me to get into. I'm sorry if I offended you.

the linux hipster "challenge" you speak of is what you pretend to pursue when you know you can't get a job or make any money. It's 2017, not 1997 so anything that doesn't configure itself for you is just autism by means of the special snowflake movement.

Try BSD instead, it's even more shitty and obscure and you can pretend to be yet another step ahead the "linux scrubs". Protip: You don't actually have to have used it, ever, to do this

So basically instead of actually leading him in some direction you'd rather bash him and tell him to fuck off because you don't feel like he wants it for the reasons you feel he should want it.

Listen fella, I said it's a hobby. I like computers, I know I couldn't do it for work, I'm an electrician by trade. I like challenging myself so this is potentially going to be a new project for me. Sorry again.

By "challenging" himself to install arch or something, he'll learn more about how his operating system works and may end up with an OS he likes.

Stop turning useful tools into "projects."

Just do a netinstall. It only installs what you tell it to, so no bloat. You don't even have to install a DE.

Linux from scratch if you mean what you say.
Otherwise, look for minimal ubuntu, debian netinstall or distros like arch and gentoo.

>Just linux as is
So you just want to run the kernel without any additional software?

Linux? Just Linux?

Look at TinyCore

You'd probably get a kick out of void or arch. But alternatively since you've been around the debian based systems. Minimal netinstall of Deb testing and building it up yourself might feel more rewarding

You know what he meant. Stop being an autistic faggot.

Just make your own modules from a live cd.

Fuck off with your "gaynoo pluhs leenuks" shit, you autist.
Stallman hasn't done anything except for being a manchild for the past two decades.

this

> (OP)
>the arch wiki is shit.

Easy to spot the bait.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Calm down, angry man
I call it Linux, and I don't care how you call it
I didn't meant to reference the copy/pasta, stop seeing the devil everywhere

TinyCore is, indeed, a real linux distribution, maybe you should have checked it

see

Damn Small Linux or Alpine

>What is a vm
You must be new here

Sort of, have always been a lurker and just looking for a good place to start.

Oh cool the "hobby" excuse. Although at least you're right that for a loser nothing hobby, you would need a loser nothing distro.

>project
Timesink.

All you "learn" when you try some autism distro is the gay shit in that autism distro which every other serious distro has fixed 15 years ago. Don't you get it? You aren't "fitting in" on IRC with some club. Right now it's arch or whatever, next it will be that you don't use obscure autism tilingWM A vs obscure autism tilingWM B. After that it would be you didn't set it up the hard way with some dead 80s lang.

There's simply no reason that you as a complete newbie would have really strong opinions about the mainstream distros that you've never used except if you are getting into this for the shit hipster reasons. Similar to people who are extremely vocal about systemd yet they don't even know how to fucking check if their distro has it. You've only seen the "good" (still shit) side of desktop threads and people pretending to fit in. They are just going to ban you on IRC for some other reason.

Case in point. Really wants some l33tpro autism distro but doesn't even know what a VM is.

Go for BSD instead. Trust me you can really flaunt your special snowflake shit, there's no drivers, or software or anything. Linux has a chance of success so please don't poison it with your beautiful ones shit.

It's why I'm looking for a place to start but I guess that's too much to ask for. This is for my own learning experience. I know a few people I could ask but I'd rather not. So I come to a board where this shit is relevant because I want to try to learn something different. Also have a spare computer to fuck up if I really can't learn it. Actually just starting school for software development and information systems but I guess you just think everyone here wants to be an autistic faggot that says "lookitme?" But what can I expect from Sup Forums? No help and no actual suggestions. I did try using Google but I wasn't really sure what I was looking for, hence asking for somewhere to start here. Goodbye Sup Forumsents. Back to lurking for me.

The arch wiki isn't shit at all, but there's no point in punishing yourself before you get it installed when something like Antergos is available.

This isn't your fault this is the fault of all the losers who ironically recommend arch, slack, gentoo etc. They do this because they want you to fail because they think they get attention or this makes them smart.

Best way to explain this is people who buy 15 year old BMW and porsche boxster. They don't know how to drive manual, they don't track their car, they don't drift or do anything with it. They just want this sort of thing because they think it makes them look cool and important and don't give a fuck about cars. That's why the stereotype exists for them that they're douchebags. Just like you're a douchebag if you try to get people to use arch when you're just trying to get them to fail.

There is no reason that is actually your own that you shouldn't start with Ubuntu or Mint. Or you can go spend a few weeks trying to configure all this shit manually and go back to 2003 and waste your time. Reason why this is so cancer is because you still see journalists nowadays repeating the "linux isn't ready for the mainstream", they don't even know enough to mention what distro they use, someone always asks them in the comments and it's always fucking slackware. All of this "bloat" and "minimal" shit is just hipster memes for attention. If your intention is to waste your time, that's fine just remember I told you so.

OP if you're still here this is the type of game I'm talking about. You start off not hardcore enuf because you use some mainstream distro, next it will be you used a script or a distro that comes with a script to install itself. Next it will be that you used installation instructions, "true hardcores know them by heart". You cannot win, you cannot fit in. See how you got here? See how you have all these opinions that aren't yours? You really need to actually READ the archtism wiki for example, best page is their arch way. After reading 5 questions you're going to see that it's just an internet secret club. Please go actually read that.

Thank you for an honest response. So Ubuntu or mint for starters? I'll have to write that down. Now as for virtual machines, could I get a small breakdown of what that entails I use or get to be able to run it in there? Reason I won't ask the people I know is because they act like superior autistic fucks who will belittle me if I don't listen to their every command. I'd rather learn on my own.

Every single day. Read the archive

I don't understand this response at all.