Since physical media is dead (not dying, it is dead. It's not relevant except to hoarders)...

Since physical media is dead (not dying, it is dead. It's not relevant except to hoarders), why do they still sell movies and games on disc, when digital is so much more convenient? Seems like stores would be rid of such an obsolete thing, it'd be like selling Betamax tapes in 2010.

fuck off
I want to own my games and movies.

* 50GB is a lot to download.
* Older generations might not be familiar with digital collections and just keep piling discs.
* Some games don't even have the game on the disc. Just a cereal and a steam installer. I'm guessing publishers just do that for more publicity.

What is the point? How many times are you going to play through a game through the longevity of that disc? How many times are you going to watch that movie?

With hard drive storage getting cheaper and cheaper, 50GB isn't a lot.

stop being a bad goy and let the DRM in

It's not even that. It's media hoarders holding technology back because they want to "own" the games they play and movies they watch.

Yeah, but 3th worlders like USA need days to download 50GB

If they're poor fags.

Or flyovers.

So...hoarders and poor fags are keeping physical media in some zombie like state.

its not dead because technology advances and moves forward, its dead because 99% of content released these days (movies, games, music) is garbage and not worth hording, its play/watch/listen once and forget.

You can't claim it is dead and then ask why they are still selling (and people are buying) physical media.

why? a license works so much better because you can play the game or watch your movie and be done with it
its also cheaper than DRM free alternative
DRM is really the ftureu user

Hoarders are the only reason you can get things that look better than YIFY rips. What's it matter to you if they're still selling physical media?

Let's say I wanted to sell movies

I would offer them online as downloads, and I would sell them in stores on USB tumbdrives.

I would not use discs. You have to pay a significant amount for a disc-drive. Whereas everyone gets usb ports for "free" with their motherboard.

>since physical media is dead, why is it not dead?
OP you are a tremendous retard. The reason physical media still exists is because it is profitable. How the fuck are you THIS lacking in critical reasoning?

I don't see how it is the least bit profitable. Pressing discs costs money, packaging, shipping, and store space. If I was a film distributor, I'd go streaming only.

Well you're not a film distributor. These people aren't idiots. At the very least, making their money back in sales, and it would be logical to assume they are making a large enough profit to make releasing physical media a worthwhile endeavor. Just because you don't see people picking them out in the checkout aisle at walmart doesn't mean people don't buy physical media.
What the hell makes you so damn confident that it's not profitable?

>he thinks he's the owner of the rights
having the rights =/= owning the rights

production of disks cost cents, yet a fresh bluray release can retail at upto 30$
There thousands of people who still buy them, kek there are people who still buy dvds

>internet goes down
>lose access to gaymes and movies

>physical media is dead
>people are buying vinyl in 2017

op are u fudgin' stupid or something?

I buy them because they objectively look better than your crappy netflix/amazon/hulu/vudu/whatever-it's-called streaming provider.

the ones buying vinyl in 2017 are idiots. who would want to listen to music muffled by pops and clicks?

>If I was a film distributor, I'd go streaming only.
Great, call me when you start streaming whole blurays (~40GB/movie), untill then I'm not gonna switch from physical media.

I'm 19 and I have stacks and stacks of CDs I use for storage. they're cheap and work well, especially for installing linux distros. my USB chips are just for backups, and my 3TB ext hdd is for large files like system backups or torrents.

Nobody said anything about the underlying IP retarded mongrel

>muffled by pops and clicks
because of that!

those who find novelty in discovering records that likely never made it past being distributed on vinyl. those who find novelty in doing something that their parents did, a sort of consumer nostalgia.

>especially for installing linux distros
i hope you use rewritable media.

why dont you just torrent bluray isos if you care about quality so much?
I guess you are a good goy and like to pay your fair share of shekels to jews

>i'm poor

a good vinyl recorded from good source sounds much better than standard 320kbps mp3

Yea, right 1950s Microgroove records sounding better than a new lossy format.

You don't need 40GB for just the movie.

I rarely buy movies nowadays. Unless I really like them. For games I buy them, but next "gen" I may either go all the way PC (have a PC and all current gen consoles) or get all digital and get only one console (probably sony's next one) just for the sake of saving space. I like owning games physically, but I have so many older games that I will never play but keep cause they aint worth shit, but I do like buying PS2 games I never bought when I was younger so I am kinda in a weird spot. Recently I get games I dont care about digitally and get games I do care about physically. May be how I go in the future until physical dies out.

>I pay goy tax

Fuck off retard.

Seriously, neo-Sup Forums back to Sup Forums and reddit pls.

yeah sure. Those bit-starved and banded x264 encodes sure look better.

>wasting your data cap

This is true actually, music released now is over gained. Records don't have this problem.

>These people aren't idiots.
i'd like to remind you of the entire humongous collection of dumb shit that has happened at the hands of the digital industry and corporate execs who dont know a fucking thing about anything

>*hoarders and hipsters are buying vinyl
ftfy

>[current year]
>data cap

I ripped all my BDs a couple years ago. MakeMKV didn't spit out files larger than 15GB for a 2HR movie.

because vinyl requires special mastering.
Even a 320kbps MP3 will sound better if it's mastered as well as the vinyl.

physical disks are reliable unlike hard disks. if you take care of them you can keep em for twice or even trice as long as a hard drive, same as storage tapes.

by your faggot logic is hoarding always a bad thing, which includes any kind of culture, music, art, books, movies.

just kill yourself, your close minded faggotry is an insult to our race.

>I ripped all my BDs a couple years ago
so you do buy physical?

>streaming only
>while a 480p DVD rip looks almost as good as a 1080p stream

I used to, till I realized how stupid it was. Haven't bought a disc in a couple years. Netflix and Kodi for me.

it's the warmth of vinyl, man!