What's Sup Forums's opinion on Protonmail?

What's Sup Forums's opinion on Protonmail?

I want to move away from botnetmail, but I don't want to wake up one day and have to move to another provider because it's shutting down or some shit. Anyone think it'll stick around?

Other urls found in this thread:

protonmail.com/about
twitter.com/gexcolo/status/906789811859738624
mobile.twitter.com/ProtonMail/status/900097982212845570
mobile.
github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/308
github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/issues/319
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1387807
reddit.com/r/ProtonMail/comments/6ve0u8/reminder_inciting_violence_is_illegal_in/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I use it since 2015 desu

It's shit for retards.

Protonmail was good, then they went all corporate and profit-oriented and now they're restrictive as shit. Also being stuck using their retarded web interface is a drag.

use cock.li with thunderbird

Using Tutamail, $1 a month, has multiple aliases and let me move my domains to it.

They started out good but they fucked up when they started deleting accounts and handing over personal info for people they suspected were doing shady activities. Stay away.

yandex does all that for free.

your shit will end up at some gmail server anyways cause most people use it
just use cockli if you don't feel like using gmail, at least they won't ban your account like protonmail

Use Posteo, it is recommended by fsf, it fully support librejs and is cheap.

Why'd they have to call it that?

Is it true that ProtonMail doesn't have IMAP/SMTP support so you can't use it with external email clients?

It was featured in Mr. Robot. Normies are all over it, it's not going anywhere.

>Protonmail
it's hosted in Switzerland. it's compromised. Do not use anything hosted in the US or any of the US protectorate/tribute states.
Switzerland signed a data sharing agreement with the US. That means they're under the NSA's umbrella.
They're also banning accounts for """illegal""" activity.

tl;dr: stay the fuck away from that meme honeypot.

Because it was created by nuclear scientists at CERN.

protonmail.com/about

They complied with some information requests from the Swiss government, so it's compromised. They decided that there was sufficient information to determine that the account holder's activities were facilitating illegal actions, and hence breaking TOS, and hence that it was okay for them to hand over information.

Worrying on two points, firstly that they handed the information over, and secondly that their system doesn't shield them from information on their clients.

I use teknik.io, but cock.li should also be good.

if the man wants to read your email, he's reading your email you buttfucking retards. protonmail is just a gmail with less features that makes you type in two fucking passwords, it's complete retarddom

they said it's a thing for the future, but they're not keen on implementing since it would inherently break their security sandbox walled garden

Man, I spent $1300 on a lifetime account when they offered them last year. Now apparently ProtonMail sucks? Fuuu... ._.

when did this happen? have any news articles?

Move to Yandex and get a lifetime account bro!

>normies watching Mr. Robot past the first few episodes
>normies even paying attention to any of the hardware/software being used

jesus christ who the fuck throws $1300 away for email? god damn dude.

don't know, to be honest.

But what I do know is that the only people who voted for Donald Trump are rural and suburban retards who wish they could fuck their own relatives.

City people and intelligent people all voted for Hillary Clinton

>Not ditching ur main email every 5 years when ur gpg key expired.
Why??

why not host your own email server if you care that much about your privacy?

They have a desktop client beta, but only for paid customers

it's bullshit. some retard was openly advertising his drug business asking those interested to contact him via protonmail. as it's in violation of their terms of use, surprise surprise, account gets shut down.

>Normies are all over it, it's not going anywhere.

I don't see a ton of people using gnome nowadays...

>why not host your own email server if you care that much about your privacy?

Isn't that how we ended up finding ALL of Hillary Clinton's emails?

Tutanota

>botnet does all that for free.

The most secure way to talk to people is face to face, with all the computers turned off, all cell phones in the microwave, with Alexa buried in the back yard, with a heavy blanket draped over your smart juicer, and your home security system disabeled.

But hey, at least we're still free, right?

talking about botnets doesn't make sense. yandex, contrary to gmail, doesn't index and your data to serve you ad content. even if it did, it would mean fucking nothing, since the gmail of the recipients would instruct their AI on your emails. Furthermore, mail were never designed for privacy, I bet my nuts that you don't encrypt your mail with OpenPGP. yandex offers something you could have only with the gsuite (your mail at your own domains, multiple aliases, 1000 mailboxes) except that it offers it free of charge. And you'll enjoy yandex disk and dedicated apps for whichever platform you're targeting. Look, I don't even work for yandex, but it's a fucking deal.

>cock.li
>literally every single email is in a government database
>somehow safer than protonmail

It's alright, but I prefer Tutamail's pricing for premium features.

Used to use it. Not being able to use it with mutt killed it for me, so I host my own now.

Way too expensive for anything but the most basic of accounts. Tutanota costs 1 Euro per month for their premium shit, literally a quarter of the price of Protonmail's cheapest paid tier, despite offering literally everything that Protonmail does (except for the space - 1GB included, 10 GB for another 2 Euros per month, which is still 1 Euro per month less than Protonmail's 5GB). Tutanota also doesn't make you sign up for Premium for you to send encrypted messages to external recipients.

The ONLY reason to go for Proton over Tuta is if you really want the server you use to be located inside a mountain for some reason.

it's really good, for some reason some people have been shilling against it and recommending shit like cuck.li; might as well stay with google

self hosting > proton >>> gmail

Self hosting is only a good idea if you know what you're doing. If you don't, it's the worst option you can choose. Also, protonmail is overpriced.

Self-hosting (knowledgeable)>Tutanota>Proton>non-encrypted email>Self-hosting (ignorant).

shit someone was selling drugs and weapons on tor and he was using protonmail

like for real we are still trying to excuse the idiot for breaking the tos

I don't remember where, but there's a service providing you with the knowledge to configure it correctly yourself, maybe the startpage one? I don't know

>switching to russian google
I wouldn't trust that for a second
How is it free?

>posts on Sup Forums
>doesn't run own mail server
pls go

>yandex direct
equivalent of google's adsense
they do sell your data just like google

>sign up for ProtonMail
>get a VPN with it

>mfw all these anti-Protonmail shills

Protonmail is here to stay. It's way too popular now, so it's a safe choice.
Tutanota is alright, but the free version is very limited and both the mobile client and the web UI are slow as fuck.

Future proof free email isn't so easy to find outside of big providers. But if you want to talk paid email services, there's a ton of them...

Also, pretty much anything is better than shit like Gmail or Outlook. It's one thing to let the government spy on you (as long as you don't use encryption they can do that), but to literally hand over your emails to companies like Google or Microsoft? Ew.

use your .edu university mail

Emails originating from your self-hosted email server will be autoflagged as spam by virtually every mainstream email provider

I've spent about $1100 on hosting/email in the past 15 years. Though I wouldn't pay that upfront for a mememail.com address.

I love the cock.

That's not the point, a secure service shields the service provider from information. There should have been no way ProtonMail could confirm what activity was associated with an email address, and what email addresses might be associated with an account holder. Zero knowledge systems are de rigueur when designing secure systems.

Much safer, as they didn't willingly comply, rather the German authorities forcibly seized their server. That said, with alternatives existing I certainly don't use it.

>russian
Yandex.com is >Yandex Europe AG, a Swiss company, located at: Werftestrasse 4, 6005 Luzern, Switzerland
fully owned by company in motherland Russia, yet distinct from it and with a different ToS.
>I wouldn't trust that for a second
because you're completely irrational. it's no better than trusting anyone else for your mail.
>how is it free?
freemium business model, they create their own eco-system with their own browser and the like. ads on top of this.
yes, they have a business in ads. yet you're contributing much more to the botnet filling reCAPTCHAs for free. no, you won't see a single ad even if you use webmail.

relevant passage in their privacy policy:
>Data collected by or transmitted to Yandex, the Company or Partners, in the course of accessing, interaction and operation of the Site and provision of the Services may include, without limitation, the following Data: (i) Internet Protocol (IP) address and location; (ii) cookie information; (iii) browser identification information; (iv) information on your software and hardware; (v) date and time of accessing the Site and the Services; (vi) information of third parties websites referred the Site or the Services; (vii) information related to your activity in the course of the Services use, including, without limitation, search queries history, search results provided to you in response to your query, web pages you visited by reference from the search results; (viii) other information.
>2.4. Unless you are logged in to your account with the Company information about you, such as e-mail address, password, name, home and work address, telephone number, index code, age, gender, is not collected when you access the Site or the Services.

since they operate their .com from a company incorporated in Switzerland, the Federal Act on Data Protection applies
then again, you're not encrypting your email and you have gmail recipients and the like.

can't use it on facebook or discord. they have blocked it.

Host your own email server with Mail-in-a-box. It's the best option.

But even then, don't think your emails are secure or anything. Email is inherently not secure, and remember that there's always another copy of your emails on the sender or receiver's end, which is probably still Gmail anyway.

see (checked)

I can only recommend Outlook.com.
Thank you.

How can i get an at&t web mail access without living in the US and without being at&t costumer?

>atleast they won't ban your account like protonmail

twitter.com/gexcolo/status/906789811859738624

>deleting accounts
give an example that isn't a brasilian ledditor who was caught advertising selling drugs or some shit
>handing over personal info for people they suspected were doing shady activities
again give an example

mobile.twitter.com/ProtonMail/status/900097982212845570

>using kikebook

I am limiting my use on it. I just need it to know what people are up to. It's a normie thing I guess.

>mobile.
fucking nu-Sup Forums I swear

Nigga I have an viral infection, can't even lift my hands up.

It redirects there if you don't enable scripts anyway.

Yeah, that looks a bit bad. They backtrack a bit, say it's only for illegal stuff/court orders and then
>If we waited for a court order each time to ban spammer, phishing, ransomware, ISIS, etc accounts, we wouldn't have a functioning service.
So I don't know... It looks bad, but until I get proof that they actually delete accounts without court orders for "hate speech" or whatever I won't condemn them.
They might just be trying to appease some SJWs on Twitter (which is bad, sure, but that seems part of the business nowadays).

twatter without js and IndexedDB is totally unusable. And no, it doesn't redirect to the mobile site if you block all js.

It literally does, if you block JS, third parties scripts and frame, it will direct you to the mobile site.

Which doesn't work without JS.

>It literally does
Except it literally doesn't. Try yourself blocking all JS and frames in uMatrix. If you get a redirection, there's something more on your side.

I'm using noscript + ublock origin for the frame blocking, I allow absolutely nothing, and I get the redirect.

And I made a webm to show what happens.

Well, it's explained. NoScript honours tags in the source page (there was no need to create a webm tbqh).
uMatrix blocks fucking everything and prevents the meta refresh. Same happens for uBlock Origin
>github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/308
(a similar issue was opened for uMatrix @ github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/issues/319 , but issues for uMatrix have been disabled)

This is gorhill's position:
>uBlock does not disable javascript in the browser, it prevents it from running using a Content-Security-Policy header, and in such case it appears the browser does not fall back on noscript tags. Forcing the noscript tags to render using some trickery leads to other issues.

Also:
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1387807

Ahah, thanks for the explanation user.

I have all scripting blocked in nosc,ubo, and um and I just get a refresh loop and the twitter logo.

you better pick one tool for that job, then. Either use NoScript as a dedicated tool to block js, and get the redirection; or don't.

Why would I even want that?

want what? I've tried to block js in noscript+umatrix+ublock origin and I got redirected btw, so it seems noscript gets the precedence. at least here.

Do you know where you are?

Scrolling down it's clear they actually banned that account. And
>As the email address was a hate group slogan, there is not much doubt in the case here.

btw NoScript can be instructed to disregard meta refresh in noscript tags, which is imho advisable. It's the best trade off if you want to block js, want to honour eventual noscript tags but you don't want meta redirects inside noscript tags

That's fucked up.

>make a poster with the slogan "hospitalize your local antifa" and add your friends' email at the end of it
>attach it somewhere in your city, a totally desert alley
>shoot photo
>upload it to the twitterwebs complaining about racism
>???????
>get you're friend account permabanned

So what do we do? This world needs to be cleansed.

That's fucked up.

that's how it works. residential dynamic IPs are not supposed to act as email servers. if they were, spam would reach delirious levels.
mail was never meant to be secure or confidential. any and all attempts to "hack" on it (including darkmail) ultimately fail.
don't use email for private and sensitive data, simple as that.

>add your friends' email at the end of it
They said it would have to be a legit looking address (like that "hate group" slogan - "You will not replace us").
reddit.com/r/ProtonMail/comments/6ve0u8/reminder_inciting_violence_is_illegal_in/

If your friend is a public Trump supporter it might work...

Personally I use Gmail for my main accounts (work and personal). For games, websites, w/e it's not linked to my real name, I use Protonmail.

why would you EVER want to use it though
just let me sync my email to Mutt like i can do with literally any other email service

there's nothing hateful in "you will not replace us". It could even be the slogan of SJW activists.

>just let me sync my email to Mutt like i can do with literally any other email service
Which part of "encrypted email service" don't you understand? It's not compatible with standards like IMAP and such.
If you want IMAP+encryption you'll need to do encryption yourself, with PGP or whatever.

>mobile.twitter.com/ProtonMail/status/900097982212845570

That's a good thing.

Absolutely false. Nice sources there faggot.

meanwhile, the real physicists at CERN are using botnetmail :^)

I use it, $12 a month for email and VPN is great.

Just wish they had a client since using my phone for 2FA every time I login is a pain but I don't want to disable it.

You should get rid of the smartphone. Those devices spy on you. I only use a memepad with libreboot.

what part of just just let me sync my email to Mutt dont you understand
literally just bounce the emails from protonmeme's servers with gnupg to my email client

t. anti-social neet

>private business
>bans accounts for violating TOS

Really activates the almonds.... how low is your IQ again?