Is chiru.no just a meme or does FLAC really sound better?

Is chiru.no just a meme or does FLAC really sound better?

Other urls found in this thread:

gitgud.io/chiru.no/chiru.no
burningtheground.net/category/madonna/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yes

flac is good because it's better for storing music not because it actually sounds better

no

mp3 and other formats put a cap based on the average human's hearing limits.
some people aren't average so of course FLAC sounds better for them.

flac is good to have because you can convert it to any format without distortion or degradation

listening to .flac is kind of a meme (not as big a meme as vinyl), I normally use .ogg

yes it objectively sounds better, the difference between it and 320kbps ain't obvious enough to make flac necessary in most scenarios though

>encode flac to lossy format
>no distortion or degradation

maybe

What's with all the chiru.no shilling all of a sudden? This is the third thread today. Pay for an advert on Sup Forums, fuck face.

I mean compared to converting lossy to lossy

>loss of quality is the same thing as distortion
okay kid

>>loss of quality is the same thing as distortion
B-but user nobody even said that

FLAC is so much better, it's not even funny. Just try it. Rip some music from youtube in mp3, then FLAC. The difference will be clear.

not totally related but does anyone know a good software on linux to convert lots of tracks from FLAC to AIFF or WAV?

This will never be funny

generation loss*

I do not understand the purpose of chiru. It just looks like another r/a/dio type website.

chiru.no is by Sup Forums for Sup Forums though, adverts are for outsiders

gitgud.io/chiru.no/chiru.no

ffmpeg

r/a/dio is a cancerous circlejerk that promotes non-free codecs

ffmpeg.

for i in *.flac; do ffmpeg -i $i "${i%.flac}".wav; done

So it's just Sup Forums's alternative? Your music choices seem slightly better so far. Make an app so I can listen during work.

I don't know

huh neat I already have that package, I didn't know I could do that kind of stuff with it. Much obliged

This.

.mp3 is an ancient lossy motion picture sound format from the early 90's

it has a fixed length discrete cosine transform window size ... thats what gives the treble its watery sound.. i can hear it

flac is only twice the size of a 320 and is bit perfect so why in the year of 2017 bother ?

also this site has great 80s 45rpm 12inches in 24bit flac - 16bit flac - 320mp3

great music and do a comparison.. the 24bit flacs blow the mp3 out of the water... if you cant hear it (the dynamics) your ears are broken or your gear is shit

burningtheground.net/category/madonna/

>the dynamics

If the dynamics are that different, it should easily be visible by looking at the waveform.

I'm waiting...

>WRONG

you cant tell dynamic range by looking at the waveform you have put the whole file through a DR analyser and let the algo figure it out you smugg little shit...

You can easily see compression though

the only downside is that the owner of the site has poor taste in music. I would send the admin an archive of my carefully curated top picks, if they upload it to their site

Exactly, to notice the tiny, academic, and in the real world, completely in-audible difference between dynamic range you need special software to detect it. This is the kind of shit that drives you audiofools. LOOK AT THE NUMBERS. Fuck what physics says about the actual hearing potential of human beings!

I have no idea if that should have a [sarcasm] tag or not but humans are generally terrible at sensing changes in dynamics - its just now how our sensory systems work .. you can tell the colour of light and pitch of a tone but you cannot tell how many times sunlight is brighter than that bulb or how many times louder the drums are then the guitar becuase: log scale

so the whole thing is exactly where big real information gains hang out in places humans are actually terrible at detecting

You just proved my point. People are terrible at detecting subtle changes in dynamics. You said it yourself. Just because the numbers show it, doesn't mean a human could sense it.

Furthermore, you can view a waveform with a db (log scale) on the x-axis, so I still submit that you'd have to see a distinct visual distance on the waveform to have any hope of hearing it.

visual difference*

you seem to be getting absolute dynamics (ratio of signal to 0db) confused with dynamic range (ratio of signal to signal) they are two totally different things man ... first one you can see being the typical loudness war brick wall... the other one you cant see because of the scales involved

yep we suck at hearing dynamics i never really used to get it ... but then i got decent gear and started getting 24bit masters and its something you train yourself to hear... and its something you dont appreciate until you hear it

just like explaining sex or love to someone who hasnt had it ...

i used to be totally happy with the sound from my ipod video 5g and now i find it totally unlistenable compared to my iphone 6s with the same kz iems because dynamics...

also when you play 24bit the iphone pumps out a hotter signal and better SNR - you wont see that looking at audio wavefile inside a DAW YOU FOOL... you have to measure at the output in the real world