/vlg/ - Void Linux General

/vlg/ - Void Linux General

Call of the Void edition

This thread is for those who are interested in Void Linux, use it, need help with it or want to try it.

Benefits of using void:
>no systemd
>xbps package manager
>just works
>rolling release
>libreSSL instead of openSSL
>over 5000 packages and growing daily
>musl or glibc

>No systemd
Void Linux uses the runit init system and services supervision. It has the benefits of fast boot and shutdown times as well as simple and easy to write init scripts (in addition to having hundreds of pre-written ones).

>xbps
Powerful package manager with dependency resolution. If your desired software isn't in the repository, build it with xbps-src and consider adding it.

>website
www.voidlinux.eu

>FAQ
wiki.voidlinux.eu/Frequently_Asked_Questions

>Installation
wiki.voidlinux.eu/Installation

>IRC (irc.freenode.net)
#voidlinux - general chat and help channel
#xbps - development and package maintenance

>Contribute
Contribute packages, wiki entries, guides, &c. It already has a logo but there's plenty more to do as the distro is still in its early stages.

Post wp pls

I'm torn between installing Gentoo and Void.

You need to work on your rice game, OP.

I cropped it from this picture.

It works for me. I'll probably just change my terminal emulator colour scheme to match my desktop's but that's it. Maybe add a void icon where the awesome icon is.

Unbelievably slow on my dell laptop. Takes forever to open a terminal, freezes after 30 seconds of YouTube video playing, I was better off with ubuntu

Very strange. Void is the fastest distro I've ever used and I'm on old thinkpad x230.

>muh sysvinit
>muh minimalism

Worthless meme distro.

spic distro

Luke stop shilling your distro

>over 5000 packages
HAHAHAHAHAHa, OHOHOHOOHOHOHO, naaaah I think I'll stick with my working distro and AUR lads.

distro is virus dont use

runit

Any package you might want will probably be in the repo.

Great distro, but its void of packages

And horribly outdated

Used it, switched back to Arch. Needs moar packages and runit is overrated

>runit is overrated
>t. systemd cuck

Yes but does it have a functional and declarative package manager?

Completely pointless thread.
If you're using Void you should already know what you're doing with Linux/Unix in general.
There's not much to talk about that's distro specific. I suppose I can say that Runit is excellent and I wish that other distros would adopt it.

>muh sysvinit: electric boogaloo

b-but I like systemd

can confirm. GHC 8.2 Isn't there yet

this.

No, but more importantly, it doesn't have systemd, which is more important than even more autism

>Linux
>Picture of a MS-DOS machine
kek

The point is that this is a new distribution worthy of attention because it isn't another Debian/RH/systemd derivative. Anons can easily contribute to Void by adding packages they use to the distro. All packages are built from source and xbps makes it easy to create your own build scripts for them.

I might try Void on my Chromebook, but they are notorious for hardware difficulty. Has anyone got any tips?

another general RRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The problem is that you will be dealing with those things if you use Void, and that's what makes it a poor replacement for those Debian/RH derivatives. I've been running Void for 18 months and have had to adjust build scripts and deal with other packaging issues numerous times.
The great thing is that Void makes this simple, even cross-compilation was easy, but it's not something that a beginner or someone who doesn't know their way around the system generally wants to deal with.

It's less work than something like Arch 99% of the time when it's just werking, but when there are problems you need to know how to help yourself.

/thread

>go to try this out in a VM
>install cinnamon
>last updated 8 months ago
Jesus

runit

I agree. Void is an attractive distro to someone who knows their way around a Linux system. But I also don't think it's too hard for beginners because it is simple and not convoluted.

My first distro was Slackware and I was 14. I installed it on my laptop and nothing worked. I then spent a day making everything work and I learned a lot.

The other day, after a Debian update, my sound just stopped working. Had to go on IRC and get help on adjusting pulseaudio and making it work. Systemd has a strange way of doing things, and I'm sure it's something one needs to get used to. I just don't have the time to learn it all again and Void is the closest to what I know.